Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ratblanc the Phantom Squeak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

ImpAtom posted:

It is a JRPG and enemies get stronger as the game advances.

It's where I'm fighting them more than anything which bugs me. (Reverie - Rean Act III Part 2) The watchtower was under continuous human occupation until 40 minutes ago. It shouldn't be this infested yet.

Also, I've reached the top of the watchtower and I'm missing one enemy in the highlands. I thought I was thorough checking, and it's the last enemy, so I don't know if I missed it or if it comes later. I do note that for some reason, I could not go to the Stone Circle, so it could be there. I just don't want to redo everything if I just missed something.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It's where I'm fighting them more than anything which bugs me. (Reverie - Rean Act III Part 2) The watchtower was under continuous human occupation until 40 minutes ago. It shouldn't be this infested yet.

Also, I've reached the top of the watchtower and I'm missing one enemy in the highlands. I thought I was thorough checking, and it's the last enemy, so I don't know if I missed it or if it comes later. I do note that for some reason, I could not go to the Stone Circle, so it could be there. I just don't want to redo everything if I just missed something.
This answer is only to tell you whether or not you're missing anything: You are not, it'll get filled in later.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

JavaJesus posted:

This answer is only to tell you whether or not you're missing anything: You are not, it'll get filled in later.

Yeah, thanks. I did a cautionary pass around just to make sure and saw nothing, and monsters are listed in order so I figured that was probably the case.

Reverie, Act III, Rean Route End.

what

what the hell kind of asspull is this

seriously what the gently caress

goddamn it falcom

is understanding any of this seriously locked to a randomly dropped minigame orb

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Yeah, thanks. I did a cautionary pass around just to make sure and saw nothing, and monsters are listed in order so I figured that was probably the case.

Reverie, Act III, Rean Route End.

what

what the hell kind of asspull is this

seriously what the gently caress

goddamn it falcom

is understanding any of this seriously locked to a randomly dropped minigame orb

(same section) You noticed how everyone's reaction was also "what the hell was all of that," right? Right up to Rean saying, "man, I wish Valimar was here" initially instead of "oh it's fine I've got this"? The poster earlier talking about the minigame orb was wrong, that one just says "they're working on new Soldats" and of course they are.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Einander posted:

(same section) You noticed how everyone's reaction was also "what the hell was all of that," right? Right up to Rean saying, "man, I wish Valimar was here" initially instead of "oh it's fine I've got this"? The poster earlier talking about the minigame orb was wrong, that one just says "they're working on new Soldats" and of course they are.

Yeah the only thing the orb does is clarify "Rean has a custom Soldat sitting in a hanger" which of course he does.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Einander posted:

Everyone's reaction also being "WTF???" does not keep it from being an asspull. An "explanation" coming later will still not keep it from being an asspull.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 17, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Everyone's reaction also being "WTF???" does not keep it from being an asspull. An "explanation" coming later will still not keep it from being an asspull.

... So to be clear here, literally anything surprising is an asspull?

Like no offense but you're sounding performatively hateful of this game at this point.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 17, 2023

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

(still Rean's Chapter 3) Basically the two ideas in the plot that come up repeatedly are "the present is echoing the past" and "this thing that happened shouldn't be possible," usually one in response to the other. Rufus is taking over Crossbell again, but it doesn't make sense that he would choose to do that. The people in Crossbell and Erebonia are being affected like victims of the Curse, but the Curse should be gone. Where did all of this equipment come from, how would they even get all the iron? It's the Reverie Corridor, and it's also kind of like Phantasma. This watchout tower in the Highlands is filled with archaisms again. Why is Arios evil again? McBurn shouldn't be here. How the Emperor here when we killed him? Why are the spirit veins like this, and how are the shrines back?

You can brush all of it aside as Falcom being lazy and reusing ideas and assets, and that's definitely a part of it, but it's also something the story is obviously doing deliberately. Rean treating a Soldat like a Divine Knight and having another Divine Knight appear in response and starting to look like he did during the Twilight isn't directly foreshadowed, but it is precisely the sort of thing that can happen in the story as written, because "the present is echoing the past" and "it shouldn't be possible."

Kale
May 14, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I will say I think the biggest problem with the power levels aren't just that enemies blow you off but that so often it goes hand-in-hand with super strong allies singlehandedly doing what you couldn't, which is something that gets worse as the overall series power level increases.

JRPGs already have a baked-in idea that you're fighting enemies well above your weight class which is why the basic concept is a party vs a single strong opponent. These guys are already powerful enough that defeating them requires multiple allies working in conjunction with one another to overcome. When not only is that not good enough but then a dude comes by who eclipses your entire party with ease then it really drives home a power difference.

And that's fine in small doses and at lower power levels. "Cassius Bright is a complete badass who had a long and storied history" is cool because it made him feel exceptional. He was a legendary figure and his retirement and actions carried a huge impact on the world. Yet the games just kept introducing more and more Cassius Brights while also scaling up the general power level not just of the NPCs but also the player characters while also trying to maintain the same basic level of power for its older strong dudes.

To be honest I do put some of this on Rean. Skies and Crossbell both have a relatively low power level. Your protagonists are Girl With Stick and Guy With Two Sticks who have potential but are in a position where 'former enforcer' or 'ex-jaeger' is a really really big deal in terms of overall power. They overcome huge odds throught dedication and hard work but at the end of the day they are just a part of the world.

And then you get to Rean. Rean who has a legendary ogre power, who is an incredibly talented swordsman of the same Eight Leaf style that defined previously untouchable badasses, who has his own personal mecha, and who has a unique tech system that allows him to fight in perfect conjunction with his classmates, the vast majority of whom are incredibly talented and powerful young people coming into their own as well as a guy with a shotgun. And in the first game it made sense, they are still learning and growing to work together and it ends on a cliffhanger. And then it goes for *four more games*, during which Rean masters his true power multiple times, becomes a teacher, gets actually classified as DIvine Blade of the Hardest Style To Divine Blade, and becomes a legend across the land. His allies all grow in power with him except for the guy with the shotgun who just has a really loving good shotgun. He goes toe-to-toe with some of the absolute biggest badasses in the setting and wins.

And then Reverie opens up and he's a total fuckin' lameass who can't really win against a single dude. And maybe you could argue that is because he's unsure of himself but Reverie's Daydreams reveal that literally a few days before everything really took off he was part of a tournament including every other major badass in the country including both of the other Divine Blades and won even if it was at a handicap. And at that point everything is just nonsense.

What got me about (spoilers for Reverie) Robo Rufus was when it turns out you weren't even fighting the real thing, but some robot some guy built, which means some dude just randomly built a robot on his own that is more powerful than the entire SSS combined including Rixia who is supposed to be like the worlds greatest assassin. That for me was a bit too much, like what is the guy Dr. Gero or something? At least in that instance it's cause he took samples from all of the worlds most powerful warriors to make his fighting androids

Also for Reverie I know Ilya had some evil mask she got tricked into wearing that carries the curse of Erebonia, but still her going from just a random eccentric dancer girl civilian to seemingly one of the most powerful entities ever seen in the Trails series to date was a bit crazy as well, where everyone is just powerless and defeated because of her goofy looking harem dance. In some ways she's practically the final boss of the Crossbell arc along with Robo Rufus since you essentially fight them together putting them on an equal plane and you're more likely to end up dropping him first cause of her crazy speed and evasion.

Kale fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 17, 2023

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
why do memes about the Cold Steel crew make Alisa the Mom Friend

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

As someone who started Chapter 4 having also reacted like you do, it does seem to be more part of a plot twist to be focused on rather than a "LOL GOT U" type thing.

While I'm in a complaining mood, though. The Beach Vay-Cay is so loving janky. Watermelon thing, fine, whatever. Bananaboat is what is best described as a compound dick move. The drinks minigame is a crime.

Putting aside the problematic elements (because I don't want that derail), it's so loving broken, natural dialogue suddenly asking for "yes" or "no" prompts despite the dilogue not asking a binary question, and sometimes what would be the likely natural answer in English seems to have the original Japanese answer hard-coded so it can be something like "isn't it great we're still finally together again" and answering "no" is correct and they go "oh, you think we should never have been separated? me too!"

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

loving christ kale those are not spoilers for the prologue, quit your poo poo

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Terper posted:

loving christ kale those are not spoilers for the prologue

Oh thank goodness I saw the first part of the first line and noped out of that part just in case.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Terper posted:

loving christ kale those are not spoilers for the prologue, quit your poo poo

I could have sworn that happened in the prologue. Changed it to just spoilers for Reverie if I'm misremembering.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Junpei posted:

why do memes about the Cold Steel crew make Alisa the Mom Friend

That's weird considering Emma is literally the one they say is momlike.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

That's weird considering Emma is literally the one they say is momlike.

I mean, she has to be the mum to her own "grandmother"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Kale posted:

I could have sworn that happened in the prologue. Changed it to just spoilers for Reverie if I'm misremembering.

Well in your first spoiler you (mid-game spoiler) made it obvious that the Rufus at the ceremony wasn't the real one.

And in the second, and I really hope I misunderstood, you imply that Ilya is a willing co-conspirator, even if the mask is driving it initially. If I misinterpreted that second one please do not correct me; I want to find out for myself!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Kale posted:

the issue is how you're referring to that character, you're using information gained from later chapters and labeling it as spoilers for the prologue when you're talking about poo poo that doesn't become apparent until end of chapter 3

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

ImpAtom posted:

... So to be clear here, literally anything surprising is an asspull?

Like no offense but you're sounding performatively hateful of this game at this point.

No, you , it's not "literally anything surprising." The railway gun targeting the settlement - that's surprising, but not an asspull. It's even partly set up with the imperial tanks rolling in earlier and making smoke. If the first time that Rean has a new robot is even mentioned is - oh wait, it HASN'T been mentioned yet. If the first time it gets mentioned is the next act after it appears, then IT'S AN ASSPULL. Things need to be set up properly. The series does a fairly decent job of setting up a lot of things so that when they happen the player can go "oh, that's what this meant 20 hours ago!" This was not even minimally set up.

I was actually coming back around to the game after connecting some dots earlier.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 18, 2023

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
for the record, given how far in you are, have you come around on Nadia after the torture bit in C/Rufus Chapter 2 and her discussion with him right afterwards

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hoping that everyone is coming to the realisation that Team C is very funny and also the coolest.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

No, you , it's not "literally anything surprising." If the first time that Rean has a new robot is even mentioned is - oh wait, it HASN'T been mentioned yet. If the first time it gets mentioned is the next act after it appears, then IT'S AN ASSPULL. Things need to be set up properly. The series does a fairly decent job of setting up a lot of things so that when they happen the player can go "oh, that's what this meant 20 hours ago!" This was not even minimally set up.

I was actually coming back around to the game after connecting some dots earlier.

Again, I would argue that just because something blindsides you doesn't mean it's an asspull, and there are some, albeit weak, references in chapter 4 immediately showing that there were some elements of the game setting it up. Spoiler (opening of chapter 4, Rean path) Roselia and Zeit specifically have been tracing the origins of this disturbance and it's why Zeit has seemed to effectively 'abandon' the SSS, because he and the Hexen clan's leader as guardians of Sept-Terrions are interesting in why the hell this is happening. That said, why the gently caress they say that's an eighth divine knight to contend with? Confusing. I want to know more.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Hoping that everyone is coming to the realisation that Team C is very funny and also the coolest.

I want to like Team C more than I do. In a vaccum they are fine but Nadia in particular suffers super hard from "This is the exact same character we have done before" even before she teams up with Reanne so you just have two Young Girl Genius Former Assassins With A Penchant For Sadism teaming up and the game even points it out

S also is the most boring character in the game and requires Nadia to have anything resembling a personality. C is fun when he's basically just being Zero from Geass and Lapis isn't bad.

No, you , it's not "literally anything surprising." The railway gun targeting the settlement - that's surprising, but not an asspull. It's even partly set up with the imperial tanks rolling in earlier and making smoke. If the first time that Rean has a new robot is even mentioned is - oh wait, it HASN'T been mentioned yet. If the first time it gets mentioned is the next act after it appears, then IT'S AN ASSPULL. Things need to be set up properly. The series does a fairly decent job of setting up a lot of things so that when they happen the player can go "oh, that's what this meant 20 hours ago!" This was not even minimally set up.

The game does hint at it though. Rean keeps having weird flashes and memories of Valmar and at one point even seems prepared to summon him before he remembers he isn't around anymore. Then a Divine Knight which shouldn't exist shows up and he pulls off some weird half-assed version of Valimar, just the same way he pulls off a weird half-assed silver haired sacrifice mode.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Smh

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also I really feel like Nadia and S should have a gimmick that basically demands they pair up but Nadia gets to inflict the Marks (because of her super analysis ability) and then S can exploit them, which would both be a mechanical improvement and match their stated abilities and 'perfect partner' concept better.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

But that book made such a big deal about Swin’s weird explodey sword!

Do think Nadia should have a unique gimmick too though.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Also I really feel like Nadia and S should have a gimmick that basically demands they pair up but Nadia gets to inflict the Marks (because of her super analysis ability) and then S can exploit them, which would both be a mechanical improvement and match their stated abilities and 'perfect partner' concept better.

Make it so her standard needle throw line Craft always triggers a follow up and make it so Swin always Marks on follow-ups. Doesn't absolutely require you to pair them and both of those traits have good uses separately, but it also makes them a very good combination.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oezigWzj8o

neat!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I figured out what the deal is with a lot of the incorrect numbers stated in this game: they're overstated by exactly one order of magnitude.

The food item I mentioned that the description says restores 300CP actually restores 30CP. The food mentioned by the other goon which says it restores 500% HP actually restores 50%.

What made me look into it more closely was the fish I caught that said it gave me 30 Action 3 quartz. It actually gave me 3. gently caress if I know how they screwed things up that precisely.

The funny thing is that when you break things down for U-materials at the forge, the number it gives you is correct but has an unnecessary decimal usage. Rather than saying it gave you 5, it says it gave you 5.0.

And of course that doesn't apply to the Reverie missions that say things like "cook 15 peculiar dishes" when it actually wants 28, or "kill x number of strong enemies in Stratum 2" when it means Stratum 3. This whole thing is sloppy and feels rushed.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Generally in that sort of thing you'd just have a variable in the text which gets auto-inserted with the actual number that is being used by the game (so the tooltip auto-updates when they make balance changes during testing, etc). So my assumption was that they added an actual hard 0 into the text, which gets placed after the actual number. So 3 becomes 30, 30 becomes 300, etc. And 5. becomes 5.0.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Just finished the main story. Overall I thought it was great. I actually liked the much faster pacing compared to the other games in the series. I finished in less than half the time I finished any previous Trails game, mainly because there aren't any sidequests, bonding events, etc. to slow things down. The game just shoots you straight down the main plot.

Now to dig into the postgame part of the Reverie Corridor. :getin:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Regarding the power levels in fights stuff, there are some characters it never bothered me much with, like McBurn or Arianrhod. In both those cases, the story actually does a good job of adequately selling how powerful they are. They're basically in the Victor Arseid/Cassius Bright tier of "super strong characters that the protagonists could only ever hope to beat in a party."

But it can feel silly when the antagonist is someone like Shirley, Rufus, Lechter, Claire, etc (who shouldn't really be that different from the party members in power, outside of situations like Cold Steel 1 or the New Class 7 (minus Rean) in Cold Steel 3.

edit: I also feel like this didn't become much of an issue until the Cold Steel games specifically, though that might partly be related to the sheer number of "named" antagonists.

Some Numbers posted:

Turns out that bringing a shotgun to a sword fight works really well.

It can also somehow turn into a really big fancy hi-tech shotgun with floating turret thingies when he uses is S-Craft.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

does Machias still say YOU'VE FAILED YOUR INSPECTION in Reverie

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think the Trails world is a lot more fun for being a place where Rufus, a regular noble with immense daddy issues, is portrayed as somewhat of a comparable threat to immortal knights of legend or supernatural demon flame guys.

Same with Machias being able to hang with the heroes through nothing more than having a shotgun in his hands and justice in his heart. That’s very good imo.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm about to finish Trails from Zero and this lategame boss description is maybe the best thing that's happened so far in the entire game:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Hwurmp posted:

does Machias still say YOU'VE FAILED YOUR INSPECTION in Reverie

Yep

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Oh cool: in TRC postgame, whenever you complete a mini mission, it immediately replaces it with a new one without you having to go back to the main area.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Junpei posted:

for the record, given how far in you are, have you come around on Nadia after (C Chapter 2)the torture bit in C Chapter 2 and her discussion with him right afterwards

That monologue started out disturbing, but the longer it went on - and it went on a lot longer than I expected - it ended up getting even more disturbing. I believe that it was trying for once to play that seriously and emphasizing that it was not supposed to be funny and in that regard I considered that it succeeded. It did not make me come around on her and go "wow, this person is cool or awesome." However, she grew more tolerable as her proportion of "cutsey" dialogue decreased.

A minor note, I don't understand why you're using "C/Real Name," as including the real name defeats the point of using "C." If someone has played past Act 2, they know who you mean if you're referring to C.

ImpAtom posted:

I want to like Team C more than I do. In a vaccum they are fine but Nadia in particular suffers super hard from "This is the exact same character we have done before" even before she teams up with Reanne so you just have two Young Girl Genius Former Assassins With A Penchant For Sadism teaming up and the game even points it out

S also is the most boring character in the game and requires Nadia to have anything resembling a personality. C is fun when he's basically just being Zero from Geass and Lapis isn't bad.

Goodness yes, this series has far too many different, entirely separate organizations or individuals which groom children to be assassins and killers. It was fresh and interesting (in this series) the first time it came up. By the time you get to the fourth or fifth variation on the same thing, the novelty has worn off.

S is the "boring straight man" character and also has a very repetitive (and hence boring) playstyle. I'm now in Act 4 and am using him as an Emblem/Scepter thing with Luck and Sepith Vein to increase my drops.

I was not expecting Lapis's character to dive so deeply into philosophical discussions, although if any character warrants it, it would be hers. I have a very hard time swallowing such a perfectly human-mimicking automaton... but that seems to be linked to the same "impossible technology" which can perfectly replicate the thought patterns and mannerisms of various people, so I'm setting that aside for now.

The game seems to be hinting at progressing all three stories to a certain point to unlock the next Stratum to explore, so I'll do that before going any farther. Current playable character count in the corridor: Thirty-nine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Agreed, I'm an automaton but my human mimicking is extremely weak