Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Could also be one of the lovely Pie in the Sky engine games. I think Space Station Escape had a timer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The face getting skeletonized reminded me of Catacomb 3-D, but like the name implies that isn't sci-fi.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/3120/catacomb-3-d/

Or the "sequel" which offers various environments, but that one does away with the skull face:
https://www.mobygames.com/game/410/the-catacomb-abyss/

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 15, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

It could be Space Hulk: Vengeance of the Blood Angels (1995), but that doesn't have the face thing.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Honestly maybe I'm making up the face thing or conflating it with another game. I know for sure it wasnt System Shock though, I would've been blown away by that game back then. I'm not even certain how much actual shooting was in the game tbh.

wb
Nov 19, 2004
im cool
Corporation/Cyber-Cop does the face thing

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

This is a bit different, but there was a kickstarter game, I want to say about 5 or 6 years ago, where you played as a lovecraftian entity influencing a medieval world to try and grow in power and eventually awaken. It looked really cool, but as time went on it became clear that the creator was in way over his head. He kept spending time commissioning new art assets and inventing new gods and races and features, but making little progress on the actual game. It eventually came out that there basically was no game, reports about stuff like faction balance from the alpha were all just lies from sock puppets, and the closest thing to a playable alpha they had was a pretty world map that the developer could move things around on to create the illusion that gameplay existed. The developer then dropped all the assets on to a forum for high tier backers and vanished. I didn't actually back it so I don't have any record of it, personally.

I just thought of it after seeing Shadows of Forbidden Gods on steam, which looks like someone said "lets make that game, but real". (not nearly as pretty, though)

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

That Which Sleeps, via @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kingdinosaurgames/that-which-sleeps?ref=android_project_share

I was really keen on that one

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Are the people behind That Which Sleeps not the same people as the ones behind Shadows Behind the Throne/Shadows of Forbidden Gods?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

Are the people behind That Which Sleeps not the same people as the ones behind Shadows Behind the Throne/Shadows of Forbidden Gods?

No. We had a fun thread on the forums for That Which Sleeps following the development. A lot of people were really hype for the premise, and when it eventually became clear that the was just smoke and mirrors with pre-recorded gameplay and nothing was functional, a local goon by the name of Bobby Two Hands just suddenly dropped into the thread and said:

Bobby Two Hands posted:

Don't worry guys. I have completely recreated the game in a month and a half and it's now done and ready to be played. AI? Full general artificial intelligence (for every character). Gameplay? Uncountably infinite strategies. Graphics? Fully immersive for all senses which humans and animals possess.

Realtalk, though, I made a free game based somewhat on That Which Sleeps and put it on the internet. It lacks advanced features such as sound, save/load and a font which isn't "default Arial" but it's playable and you can muck around with politics, plagues and climate change. Theoretically you might win, which would be good, cos I put a bunch of work into the ending screen.

https://bobbytwohands.itch.io/shadows-behind-the-throne

And dropped a playable early version of Shadows Behind The Throne into our lap.

People said "Good job, i'd pay for it" and he said "OK, i'll make it a full game" and here we are now.

The Moon Monster posted:

I just thought of it after seeing Shadows of Forbidden Gods on steam, which looks like someone said "lets make that game, but real". (not nearly as pretty, though)

Funny that this is exactly what happened, and on these very forums to boot :haw:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Aha, that's pretty cool. I went ahead and bought a copy

Jack Trades posted:

That would have been surprising. From the way that thing played out it seemed like the creator just didn't have the wherewithal to make a functioning game. Plus he totally burned any credibility he had with the way that things went down.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

no, they're sleeping

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
PC game, indie, not sure if it ever officially released. It was an 1v1 fps arena shooter with simplistic, colorful graphics where the main gimmick was that each player’s main mode of traversal was a grappling hook. Maps often featured big horizontal spans, like bridges, whose main function was to provide something to grapple onto, and you could get up to pretty ludicrous speeds with repeated grapples/swings. I want to say the players were spiders, or robotic spiders.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Ben Nerevarine posted:

PC game, indie, not sure if it ever officially released. It was an 1v1 fps arena shooter with simplistic, colorful graphics where the main gimmick was that each player’s main mode of traversal was a grappling hook. Maps often featured big horizontal spans, like bridges, whose main function was to provide something to grapple onto, and you could get up to pretty ludicrous speeds with repeated grapples/swings. I want to say the players were spiders, or robotic spiders.

Could this be SpiderHeck?

(oh dang, glad to see that game's still getting updates)

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Could this be SpiderHeck?

(oh dang, glad to see that game's still getting updates)

Looks similar in concept but the game I'm thinking of is a 3D first-person shooter--sorry, fps is buried in my original post

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Bionic Commando had a multiplayer mode, that maybe?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Definitely not, this was first-person and had relatively simple graphics, I'm pretty sure it was just one person working on it

In trying to find this game I stumbled across Verlet Swing so I might just try that, thanks anyway

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Oh right, you specified fps multiple times :downs:

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Ben Nerevarine posted:

There's Arms of Telos but that wasn't 1v1 from what I can see.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Zathril posted:

There's Arms of Telos but that wasn't 1v1 from what I can see.

Holy poo poo that’s it, thank you!

e: shame, doesn’t look like this thing has budged in 7 years :(

Ben Nerevarine fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 21, 2023

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Quick question:

Game almost exactly like Commandos, but Wild West-themed?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pierzak posted:

Quick question:

Game almost exactly like Commandos, but Wild West-themed?

Desperados III

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

Desperados III
Desperados was indeed the title I was looking for, thanks!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sort of related to this thread, but because another goon mentioned asking ChatGPT about a game, I thought I'd test it out with games I *did* know, but pretended to somewhat remember. The two games were ones I've asked about here (and gotten help in figuring them out, long live goons, gently caress AI). One was Stellar Explorer and the other was "Hunter/Hunted". I gave that robot motherfucker all of the pertinent details about HH, including...

- side scrolling but various height levels to jump between
- mainly featured two characters (I legit couldn't remember if there were more)
- was futuristic but grime-y
- was released somewhere between 1995-1998
- had a demo in PC gamer
- wasn't very popular

It couldn't get it, no matter what I tried. Eventually, I just flat out asked it to describe "hunter/hunted" to me, and....

:rolleyes:

It didn't get Stellar Explorer, either, but I didn't end up asking it specifically about that one, I just gave up.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I've had good results asking it to list 10 or 12 possible examples. If you just ask for one it'll usually get the focus wrong.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

FFT posted:

I've had good results asking it to list 10 or 12 possible examples. If you just ask for one it'll usually get the focus wrong.

Oh, I didn't realize I could do that.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
A game with vector graphics where the player character is a stick figure. I swear it was a real vector graphics based game and not one stylized to look that way. So it's probably old as dirt.

I hope it's a real game and not something I saw on a video.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

emSparkly posted:

A game with vector graphics where the player character is a stick figure. I swear it was a real vector graphics based game and not one stylized to look that way. So it's probably old as dirt.

N / N+ / N++?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

emSparkly posted:

Vib-Ribbon?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Spike for Vectrex?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Sort of related to this thread, but because another goon mentioned asking ChatGPT about a game, I thought I'd test it out with games I *did* know, but pretended to somewhat remember. The two games were ones I've asked about here (and gotten help in figuring them out, long live goons, gently caress AI). One was Stellar Explorer and the other was "Hunter/Hunted". I gave that robot motherfucker all of the pertinent details about HH, including...

[...]

It didn't get Stellar Explorer, either, but I didn't end up asking it specifically about that one, I just gave up.

One of the fundamental problems with using LLMs for anything like this, where you have a question that expects a factual answer that can be right or wrong, is that LLMs do not deal in facts. They are, effectively, supercharged autocomplete engines with no underlying ground truth and no acknowledgement that words have meanings and aren't just arbitrary symbols.

So when you type in "tell me about the PC game hunter/hunted", what you are actually asking it for is, "based on a probability analysis of large chunks of the internet, if I were reading a web page where one human typed 'tell me about the PC game hunter/hunted', and another human wrote more text under that, what is a statistically likely thing for the other human to have written?"

Sometimes, the statistically likely thing ends up containing factually correct statements, but this basically only ever happens by accident.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think it was some indie game like a decade or more ago. It was a 2D sprite beat-em up, I don't think there was any depth to it; you couldn't walk up or down, they either threw someone through a window into a pool hall and picked up a pool cue and started beating someone up or they broke it themselves. Been bugging me for the longest time, I saw a video of it at the time and then it just disappeared after that.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

It's definitely not this, but I found this while looking around and somehow never heard about it before now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdAj3DQAUYM

Especially after just recently playing all the way through Dave the Diver it seems up my alley.

The sequel's kickstarter trailer starts in a pool hall (or, at least, there is a pool table), even:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CVJ6fjrZI0

stringless fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jul 30, 2023

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Those games look loving awesome.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Does anybody remember a video of an absurd fishing game, 3rd-person perspective 3D (maybe kinda arcade-ish looking? I don't remember clearly), focused on trying to reel in something pulling extremely hard on the line, with epic music, with escalating ridiculousness, I forget exactly what it was, possibly involving a shark or a dinosaur or something. I wish I could find it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Xom posted:

Does anybody remember a video of an absurd fishing game, 3rd-person perspective 3D (maybe kinda arcade-ish looking? I don't remember clearly), focused on trying to reel in something pulling extremely hard on the line, with epic music, with escalating ridiculousness, I forget exactly what it was, possibly involving a shark or a dinosaur or something. I wish I could find it.

It's not Sega Bass Fishing is it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg7l0SIx24o

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Check out https://guessthe.game/ if you're looking to remember the name of a game based on 6 hints, or perish on a daily basis

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I'm looking at a video of Sega Marine Fishing, and maybe this is the game? I feel like the video in my memory was way more exciting though.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

This game owns, especially when you hook a huge bass and it plays some hella Mega Man X music.

Spooder-Mun
Jun 18, 2004

Xom posted:

I'm looking at a video of Sega Marine Fishing, and maybe this is the game? I feel like the video in my memory was way more exciting though.

How about Bass Landing on ps1, no dinosaurs but had giant fish and a ludicrous soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Check out https://guessthe.game/ if you're looking to remember the name of a game based on 6 hints, or perish on a daily basis

I'm getting a surprising amount of these, even games I never played. though I still live in shame of the one where I picked all the variants of Mario Golf sequels but didn't pick the original game

ymgve fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 31, 2023