Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Jesus, spoiler that poo poo

Page 650 is not a place of honor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Can someone share the comic in the original story where a villain gets killed and has their butt up in the last panel while everyone stands around laughing? Need it for a meme to prove how to not disrespect deaths.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Can someone share the comic in the original story where a villain gets killed and has their butt up in the last panel while everyone stands around laughing? Need it for a meme to prove how to not disrespect deaths.
Sure!

Bumper strangles Amelia.

After many more strips, Amelia's rear end in the air:

and the eternal comic right after it:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Ink Witch's Challenges is being hugged by a naked Snout?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Not that any of these characters are terribly well-written but Ink Witch really did get the shaft when it came to any sort of development, that this is the first we've really seen about who she was before the story since maybe the Lake? Otherwise she's just been Snout's transcriber

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

So Snout has absolutely no hang ups to deal with and he's just being held back by these goobers. I guess he vacationed and hosed his troubles away

Happy Landfill posted:

Not that any of these characters are terribly well-written but Ink Witch really did get the shaft when it came to any sort of development, that this is the first we've really seen about who she was before the story since maybe the Lake? Otherwise she's just been Snout's transcriber

Nope that's Snout, so it's not before the story.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

lmao I was right in thinking Idiota won't even get a traumatic backstory or issues.

Happy Landfill posted:

Check the arm hair and weird-looking tail; that's just Snout cuddling her from when they stayed at the inn. :v: Mookie seriously didn't give her any drat thing about who she was before the story began.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Oh poo poo that's Snout??? Holy gently caress I didn't even notice

oh my god

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

So this isn't even a call back to that vague, "I've been cheated on before too" from back at the lake????

It's just Snout

oh my god????

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Happy Landfill posted:

So this isn't even a call back to that vague, "I've been cheated on before too" from back at the lake????

It's just Snout

oh my god????

Snout is one who cheated on her.

The cad.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

amigolupus posted:

Mookie seriously didn't give her any drat thing about who she was before the story began.

Even her closest companion only thinks of her as what she can do to benefit him ("The Ink Witch") and couldn't be bothered to give her an actual name.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm not gonna check but I'm willing to bet both those flashbacks are copy paste or traced

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

God, I almost wish he had just continued with whatever he was trying to do with her before people started calling her creepy. I wish he had just powered on because that would have been so much better than this :shepface:

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

During one of Arudak's pity parties she said that she understood his pain because someone she gave her heart to betrayed her, but that's never been elaborated on. My theory was that Redactor was her ex and that it was going to be thematically linked to the history Skullet and Arudak had, but I guess between the villains' hasty exit from the story and Idiota's dark thoughts being... hugged by her friend? instead of literally anything to do with her coven, it just isn't to be.

I mean to fair, if a naked Snout pressed his bush into me, I too would think of this when Challenge T. Symbol asks me what worries plague my mind.

edit:

Happy Landfill posted:

God, I almost wish he had just continued with whatever he was trying to do with her before people started calling her creepy. I wish he had just powered on because that would have been so much better than this :shepface:

Yeah, literally the only logic for this I could understand without it coming out of left field would be if Idiota was still worried about how she manipulated Snout early on, and the hug symbolizes that somehow (I don't think it's the inn scene? I checked and she was wearing way less back then)

Edit 2: wait nevermind I'm just stupid, my brain parsed the negative filter as a dress. Yeah it's definitely Mookie Idiot Witch having not gotten over being called out.

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 17, 2023

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

Trapezium Dave posted:

Personally, I would find that very challenging.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Haha, what the gently caress.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Trapezium Dave posted:

lol. lmao.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I just noticed from the edges that the brushstrokes for Challenges T. Symbol are just copy-pasted of each other, even the one for Corpsemomdaughterwife. :lol:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

This poo poo is like some 11th hour redemption which is just nonsense when it has been ignored for the past like 3 years of comics. She's been feeling bad about it the whole time? Bullshit lmao. Mookie hasn't been saying anything about it but he has been just silently stewing about it I guess. Alternatively he realised that he forgot to give Idiota an actual backstory and just rushed to find anything that she could feel conflicted about. Either explanation is really funny.

I do appreciate Kaianda's thingie being completely different from the other two.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I double-checked the whole apology scene and what happened was that Snout asked Idiota if she was using dream magic on him, after she'd been naked cuddling him several times. She said she's been using dream magic all along ever since she got to the Wild Edge, but can't stop doing it because magic doesn't work right. Idiota stresses that she can't alter Snout's dreams, except it completely ignores that she just confessed to knowing something was wrong right from the start yet still kept sleeping next to Snout.

She ends this "apology" by insisting she's not using/deceiving Snout and would never break into his dreams without his consent, except she can't control it right now, whoopsie-daisy! So she's not sorry for what she did, she's sorry she got caught in the first place.

YF-23 posted:

I do appreciate Kaianda's thingie being completely different from the other two.

Look at the top of Kaianda's ink thingy, it's literally the exact same shape and edges as the others' ink thingies. Mookie just lazily used the fill tool on it and drew a few tentacles lol

amigolupus fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jul 17, 2023

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

amigolupus posted:

Look at the top of Kaianda's ink thingy, it's literally the exact same shape and edges as the others' ink thingies. Mookie just lazily used the fill tool on it and drew a few tentacles lol

I'll be honest, I don't care that he copied and pasted the shape. I meant that it's different in that the others are hazy/faded memories of things but Kaianda's is vivid tentacles popping out of it to choke her. I'll give mookie credit when he puts in what I think are nice touches in this otherwise trainwreck of a comic.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Imagine if Snout had a fourth companion. Would they just not see anything? Would Challenges Symbol transform into Freedom because it had an extra bar?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

The Challenges T. Symbol was also the useless friends we made along the way. Everything is the friends we made along the way.

One of the friends is named Idiota and her challenge is that the author accidentally wrote her to be a huge creep and nothing else.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Challenges T. Symbol and Ball Made Of Smaller Balls spin-off comic

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

:psyduck:

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
I mean, it's true. He definitely doesn't have the ambition and passion of other creators.

He wants to be lauded but doesn't want to put in the work. It's not the early 2000s anymore, buddy, you can't get by with anime-drawn-on-ruled-notebook-sheets comics now.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

I recently found a journal article on my computer (which I have no memory of ever downloading, funnily enough) called "The Mundanity of Excellence". The author followed a bunch of competitive swimmers around for several years at various different levels of achievement (from casual youth teams to high school Nationals teams to the US Olympic team) and tried to figure out what determined how well people did - how fast they swam, the level of competitions they won, etc. They discounted "natural talent" as a thing and weren't interested in Phelps-level genetic advantages and instead looked at what people actually did, day-in and day-out. Their argument was that past a certain baseline, it wasn't down to time spent in the pool/gym. Everyone past a certain amateur level spent a roughly equivalent amount of time per week practising. Instead, it was what they did with that time - their competitive attitude in practice, their adherence to pre-race rituals, their attention to a perfect turn-around even in warmups, etc. A qualitative change in their practice was what made them "excellent" and it was largely down to a constant stream of low-level decisions that weren't individually difficult but nevertheless required focus and care. That was in contrast to the public perception of a quantitative cause where you just had to spend every waking minute practicing and that was what made you "excellent". That or it was just something you were born with.

I've been thinking about that a lot and this tweet brought it right back up.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Trapezium Dave posted:

oh my god i found the exact page the middle one is for. It's right after the ink witch apologised to snout for accidentally going inside his dreams. that's her challenges

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Uh, I don't know how to break this to him, but hobbits have... positive qualities.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yep, called it.

How is this her Challenge? The image we see is literally the resolution of that conflict. It was never mentioned again after that (and people kept invading his dreams regardless). Shouldn't it have something to do with Bad Idiota or the coven?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It's really loving funny how she apologized for the dream breaking-and-entering but not, y'know, the non-consensual naked snuggling. It's not even accidental. She waited for Snout to fall asleep before giving him the creepy bedroom eyes then lying next to him.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

amigolupus posted:

It's really loving funny how she apologized for the dream breaking-and-entering but not, y'know, the non-consensual naked snuggling. It's not even accidental. She waited for Snout to fall asleep before giving him the creepy bedroom eyes then lying next to him.

But Mookie knows that all men would like it if a woman cuddled them in their sleep no matter who it is, so it's fine!

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Uh, I don't know how to break this to him, but hobbits have... positive qualities.

Also hobbits loved being busy. Busy farming, cooking, eating, partying, and smoking.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Of our four characters, one is a clone of a dead woman, one is a non-amnesiac who was somehow surprised by his own backstory and motivation for undertaking this whole adventure, one's backstory is unexplained, and our viewpoint character's very existence is completely inexplicable.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Sometimes I feel bad that my art isn't very good or my comic very good and that I'm really making no effort whatsoever, but then I console myself with the gentle reminder that I love being lazy and don't care about art AS MUCH as I care about sitting around and reading comic books.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Trapezium Dave posted:

I appreciate the amount of effort Mookie is investing in pointing out that there's absolutely nothing to any of these characters. It's not just that we haven't learned much of anything about the main characters during the three loving years this thing's been going...we're getting a magic window to show us that there's literally nothing to know. Arudak's One Thing is his fridge'd girlfriend. Main Ink Witch's One Thing is some vague ??? from her past. And Kaianda's One Thing is just literally what she is. Not, like, how she feels about being a necro-vine clone. Not how she fits into the world or relates to other people because of the accident of her birth/creation. But literally just that that's what she is.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

SubG posted:

Main Ink Witch's One Thing is some vague ??? from her past.

About that,

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
I'm still not over Mookie forgetting the one plot hook he had for Idiot's backstory. It was even directly compared to Arudak's regrets about Kazya's "betrayal" (ignore for a moment that she did no such thing) and they were finally able to bury the hatchet because of the pains they had in common! The end of the bog witch sex arc suggested that all the doubts the chandak exposed were things they would have to confront when they reached Asinotaph, and it seems we're just getting two out of three. I wonder if maybe Idiot's backstory would've gotten time in the spotlight if Mookie hadn't gotten tired of the comic, but then again she was always a flat character whose only contributions were exposition and transportation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Telling your fans that you aren't passionate about the work they are supposed to emotionally invest in is a bold move