Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

redshirt posted:

They'd already been doing that for years. I doubt this year (or last) has increased it.

It's vacation season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Leaving the enemy an escape route is usually clever.

I mean, they probably wouldn't have used it for escaping anyway, but for bringing in more rockets and bombs for terror bombing, so there's that. Call it wishful thinking I guess

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Toxic Mental posted:

I'll let the thread decide if I should 6er you for this

Make him our king.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Karate Bastard posted:

I mean, they probably wouldn't have used it to leave anyway, but to bring in more rockets and bombs for terror bombing, so there's that.

There are other routes. Theyre not trapped there.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Karate Bastard posted:

I mean, they probably wouldn't have used it for escaping anyway, but for bringing in more rockets and bombs for terror bombing, so there's that. Call it wishful thinking I guess

They can leave, by ferry or by driving via the South coast road where they can witness how well the Russia-occupied areas are doing.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Missile damage? Doesn't really appear so.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0Sy4twXSn0

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

the popes toes posted:

Missile damage? Doesn't really appear so.

Ukraine attributed it to their naval drones earlier today. The explosion came underneath and there is a possibility that the pylons also need fixing so it might even be worse than what it looks like.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/07/17/7411740/

quote:

Russia has gathered more than 100,000 soldiers of its occupation forces on the Lyman-Kupiansk axis.

Source: Serhii Cherevatyi, spokesman for the Eastern Group of Forces of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, on the national 24/7 newscast

Quote: "The enemy has gathered a very powerful group of forces – more than 100,000 personnel, over 900 tanks, over 555 artillery systems, and 370 multiple-launch rocket systems – on the Lyman-Kupiansk axis.

For context, Russia deployed 120,000 personnel in Afghanistan at the height of its campaign there.

[Russia] has consolidated its air assault units, its best motorised infantry units, private military companies [on the Lyman-Kupiansk axis], and has deployed territorial forces as reserves there."

Details: Cherevatyi stressed that Ukrainian soldiers are holding the line and preventing Russian forces from taking the initiative in the area.
I wonder if this is the last major force concentration they have left.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1680977500191563777

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7t75x7gZYg

Russian evening shows starting to come in with translation.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

zone posted:

That doesn't sound like a lot of equipment for the claimed amount of manpower there. Especially if they are losing 10+ pieces of artillery per day.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 17, 2023

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

zone posted:

That's one hell of a dense concentration of men. Lyman and Kupiansk are only 100km (62 miles) apart. They could line up a man every meter if that's true!

Reuters reported in late May, citing EU officials, that Russia had 300,000 personnel total in Ukraine. So this little stretch of land has 1/3 of the entire Russian military in Ukraine on it.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

The_Franz posted:

That doesn't sound like a lot of equipment for the claimed amount of manpower there.

That's probably all they could spare there, unless they're going to rob Peter to pay Paul on some other front.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The_Franz posted:

That doesn't sound like a lot of equipment for the claimed amount of manpower there.
The main army force in Gulf War had 1,487 tanks, 1,384 infantry fighting vehicles, 568 artillery pieces, 132 MLRS, 8 missile launchers, and 242 attack helicopters and 146k troops. (from wikipedia)

So this is quite a lot and why giving Ukraine 30 tanks is such a joke.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I am highly skeptical on their ability feed, refuel and provide ammunition to a army group that size if it goes to full-on attack.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Skabeeva is the most Star Wars prequels rear end name.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

POCCNR is doing a good enough job of that by itself, lady.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Roman Reigns posted:

They're uh...

...Yes, sir.

New Battletech Era lookin Rough

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

zone posted:

POCCNR is doing a good enough job of that by itself, lady.

Too late.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Lammasu posted:

Make him our king.

IF TWO TURDS EMERGE, HE SHALL BE PUT TO DEATH

IF ONE TURD EMERGES, HE SHALL BE ELECTED TO KING

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/laraseligman/status/1681014537787416576
lol

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

the only thing sweeter than watching bridges die is listening to fuckwit imperialists whine about bridges dying.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Is this in their favor, IE "Oh no, those Bradley's were really only worth $1M and not $2M, we can send you a few more." It would be sad if it were "Actually our stuff is kicking too much butt, it's obviously undervalued." I think I know the answer, but I've been wrong before and will be again!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

tiaz posted:

It is amazing and disappointing to me how many people haven't really thought through anything and just accidentally have some correct positions, have no ethical convictions backing their politics, just decide on their stance once at 16 or whatever and then that's it forever.

:3:

The big secret is that while people pretend ideologies are logical constructs built from first principles they are in practice largely a collage of positions with conections created post-hoc, like one of those string-covered conspiracy boards

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

the DoD is pulling some loving pawn stars wizardry on these valuations

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Karate Bastard posted:

just bomb out the left lane, that's the lane coming into crimea, leaving the right lane intact, the one leaving crimea

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Commodore_64 posted:

Is this in their favor, IE "Oh no, those Bradley's were really only worth $1M and not $2M, we can send you a few more." It would be sad if it were "Actually our stuff is kicking too much butt, it's obviously undervalued." I think I know the answer, but I've been wrong before and will be again!

In the case of Ukraine it was the former. The replacement costs of transferred weapons and not their net book value were considered. They were left with an additional $6.2 billion in funds for future transfers to Ukraine as a result.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Dwesa posted:

In the case of Ukraine it was the former. The replacement costs of transferred weapons and not their net book value were considered. They were left with an additional $6.2 billion in funds for future transfers to Ukraine as a result.

Maybe they didn't expect the UAF to turn down the offered extended store warranty package and rust-proofing of the underside?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

To be honest the accounting thing isn’t that shocking - for a single vehicle you have original purchase price, depreciated value, new purchase price, fair market price for the existing used asset, and probably a dozen other ways to value a vehicle that probably vary by 3x to 5x difference from lowest value method to highest value method.

It’s all bullshit funny money anyway.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah NBV of an asset that's not in use seems pretty pointless to me. Depreciation (in accounting, not cars) is supposed to spread the cost of a useful asset over its useful life.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Strategic Tea posted:

Yeah NBV of an asset that's not in use seems pretty pointless to me. Depreciation (in accounting, not cars) is supposed to spread the cost of a useful asset over its useful life.

I am now imagining a post by Zelensky on /r/personalfinance asking if it was smart of him to buy an Abrams tank for $0 down, 72 month term, 21% APR. He's getting an $8.9 million tank for only $218k a month!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
insisting on kelly blue book prices on my lada technical in crimea

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

William Bear posted:

I am now imagining a post by Zelensky on /r/personalfinance asking if it was smart of him to buy an Abrams tank for $0 down, 72 month term, 21% APR. He's getting an $8.9 million tank for only $218k a month!

If you can afford debt, it's smart.

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012

I'm in disguise, you stupid tart!

Coolguye posted:

IF TWO TURDS EMERGE, HE SHALL BE PUT TO DEATH

IF ONE TURD EMERGES, HE SHALL BE ELECTED TO KING

THIS IS UNPRECIDENTED. WHERE DID HE FIND THE FOOD TO MAKE FOUR TURDS?

Also, it was a good effort post.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

National Lampoon's Illegally Annexed Warzone Vacation

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/grahamBarron/status/1681024660488732673?s=20

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
anime is blood
and blood is good

You need blood to live!

So maybe anime isn't blood, but more like, I dunno, mucus? Bile?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mr. Sunshine posted:

anime is blood
and blood is good

You need blood to live!

So maybe anime isn't blood, but more like, I dunno, mucus? Bile?

No, no, you got it right the first time :unsmigghh:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
putin sniffs poo bums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

crispix posted:

putin sniffs poo bums

Many such cases!