Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Vandar posted:

It has a battle pass.

They put a battle pass into diablo.

I mean, they put a real money auction house into diablo. A battle pass is like, several degrees less egregious than that. Probably below "they made a F2P P2W mobile diablo."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Jetamo posted:

I mean, they put a real money auction house into diablo. A battle pass is like, several degrees less egregious than that. Probably below "they made a F2P P2W mobile diablo."

It's also just cosmetic poo poo that doesn't matter. Diablo is good.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Considering it looks like Microsoft are getting the go-ahead with the ActivisionBlizzard buyout, D4 will probably be on gamepass relatively soon any ways.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

McCoy Pauley posted:

Anyone have any early advice for Dave the Diver, in particular about running the restaurant at night? I think I generally have the hang of it, particularly now that I've added staff, but at least two things are a little unclear:

--Is it always a good idea to put a dish on "Auto-Supply" rather than just offering several of the dish for sale? This seems like the best way to avoid wasting more than a single serving, but since it's merely an option, and the default is to put out multiples of a single dish, I'm wondering if I'm missing some downside to "Auto-Supply".

--I placed my first version of the second tier ad, and got two candidates, one of whom had 125+ service skills, which is where I needed help, but another of whom who had a single point in every skill (and cost only 4 gold to hire). I hired the first guy because it seemed like an immediate need, but I assume the second applicant wasn't some kind of bug, so is there some special advantage to a cheap hire with no skill who -- what? -- you can train up cheaply?

And one tip, in case this helps anyone else, as it was confusing me -- if you craft a new weapon, it will give you the option to equip it immediately. I couldn't figure out where my previously equipped weapon had gone, and thought maybe I lost it and needed to craft a new one. But it's not gone -- it's just in the storage box on the boat, next to Cobra. If you access that box before diving you can pick which weapon and charms to equip

I tend to use auto supply for low serving dishes, and choose how many I want for stuff that produces more than 4 or 5. There is no downside as far as I can tell.

When hiring workers, if you choose details it will show you what their stats will be at level 20, including what perks they learn. If I recall, the worker with 1 to all stats is the ninja woman? She gets pretty decent later on. Training is the same cost per rank regardless of the worker.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012
Anyone have tips for Tenderfoot Tactics?

Also, while double-checking to make sure I didn't miss it the first time I looked, I noticed that there are some games that are alphabetized with T because they start with the word The, starting with The Age of Decadence. But only like 6 or 7, so that's probably not intended. Just a heads up for whoever has the power to mess with things over there.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Kruller posted:

I tend to use auto supply for low serving dishes, and choose how many I want for stuff that produces more than 4 or 5. There is no downside as far as I can tell.

Thanks for this. I've shifted away from using auto-supply after reading some discussion here in the Dave thread and in the Steam forums, since auto-supply will usually ensure you waste at least one dish of each type you put up, since the kitchen never lets the supply of the dish fall to zero unless they run out of ingredients. The more optimal strategy appears to be to calculate exactly how many customer show up given you Cooksta ranking because this is a fixed number per ranking (not a random number each night as I had thought). For instance, at a Gold rating in Cooksta you get exactly 28 customers per night, and so you can put 28 total servings worth of dishes on the menu and you'll sell all of them without waste -- at least, so far that's worked for me assuming there's a little variation in recipes (i.e., don't just put 28 servings worth of a single recipe up -- people want variety). I'm not sure I've worked out exactly how much variety you need, but generally putting up like 7 different dishes with 28 total servings at Gold level has resulted in selling exactly the right amount with no waste.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Jetamo posted:

the problem with battle passes is that they're wildly addicting to certain people. putting one into diablo is legit harmful but given the last diablo game was immortal it's still a step up probably

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
They removed the real money auction house from Diablo 3 later on because it was destroying the game. The fact they launched with it doesn’t mean much.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Anything for Kowloon Highschool Chronicle? Dunno if anyone's played the game or not but it seems like the type that might be better with some tips before playing.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Any tips for Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak?

Bumping the above, because no one answered.

Also, in Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag - is there a particularly good point to start exploring and just doing side stuff? I've only just got to Havana, but should I start checking out map icons here before continuing, or is there a point in the story when it's better to start doing that?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
For Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, there isn't much to say, it's a Relic made RTS and they pretty much know what they are doing. The game has a very prevalent rock-paper-scissors system going on, so concentrate on building units countering whatever you're being threatened with. It has the Homeworld series system where you keep your standing army from mission to mission, and the game tries to scale the missions to match with what you've got. If you feel you don't have enough units to deal with a new mission, you can start it from a mission selection list from the main menu instead of a saved game, and the game will give you a default starting army instead of what your autosave has. You usually should have enough time to build up from almost nothing at the start of every map, your big homebase sand crawler can defend itself for quite a while if you use the various buttons and levers associated with it.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Bumping the above, because no one answered.

Also, in Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag - is there a particularly good point to start exploring and just doing side stuff? I've only just got to Havana, but should I start checking out map icons here before continuing, or is there a point in the story when it's better to start doing that?

some zones are scaled to ship strength but if you dont start trouble you can go p much anywhere iirc

you might find some literal fog walls you cant cross until youve met it in the story i think

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think that right after Havana is where you get your ship, so if you're looking forward to that part, you might want to focus on the story before clearing all the dots off Havana but for the most part I feel like you can do whatever, whenever yeah.

It's been a while since I played, I think at some point there's some light fleet management thing that opens up? It gives you more things to do with the ships that you capture iirc, so it could be worth unlocking that before spending too much time loving around on the open seas, but it doesn't matter too much.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

iirc the diving bell is one of the last Big Mechanics the game drops on you, after which the majority of the world is open to you

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

iirc the diving bell is one of the last Big Mechanics the game drops on you, after which the majority of the world is open to you

I do seem to recall this particular mechanic being unlocked surprisingly late in the game though (like, well after the halfway point, from memory) so I wouldn't recommend waiting on it before cutting loose and making your own fun.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Ainsley McTree posted:

I do seem to recall this particular mechanic being unlocked surprisingly late in the game though (like, well after the halfway point, from memory) so I wouldn't recommend waiting on it before cutting loose and making your own fun.

Awesome, thanks all. Busy slicing fools and running up walls when I mean to go round, AC style

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

I have no idea if anyone's playing it, what with the game being entirely Japanese (and from what I gather, the English patch being in limbo) but after finishing the three games in Lunatic Dawn Legends Pack on Steam I put these together in the hope that they'll be useful:

Lunatic Dawn 1

* Your character has a finite lifespan and will make it to about 70 or so at most before dying. Training takes enough time that it's impossible to maximize more than a handful of skills before you die of old age, so it's best to plan ahead on how you want to build your character.

* You can raise your stats through training, but when you first start the game, you get random, hidden caps for each of them, which are between 15 and 70 points higher than what you start with. Though the average is about 40, the higher your starting stats are relative to the others, the higher your cap is likely to be. If a starting stat is around 40-45 it's near guaranteed to have its cap as 100 which is the max possible for any stat. Starting the game with an older character also means your stats and stat caps are likely to be higher, but you'll also have less time to adventure before dying of old age.

* Skill levels can never go higher than their corresponding stats, so if you want to focus in magic, you should make try to build a character with stat caps of 100 in Willpower and either Intellect or Wisdom (Wisdom for Divine/Black magic, and Intellect for everything else) so that you can cast all the spells in your chosen school(s).

* Magic is much more powerful than weapons in this game, as mid-to-late game fights turn into painful drawn-out slugging matches without it. Black Magic and Divine Magic are the most powerful schools for combat. Putting things to sleep with Goddess' Sigh (Divine lv64) and then poisoning them with Poison (Black lv 26) will effortlessly kill even the most powerful monsters.

* The most useful spell school is Physical. Light (lv12) means you don't have to buy oil for your lamps any more. Unlock (lv20) completely removes the need to train thief skills or hire a thief. Enchant Weapon (lv21) lets you damage undead with weapons.

* Elemental magic can only be trained in the Yanfrick region, which is west and very far south of your starting area. It'll take probably at least a month by foot to get there.

* When training a skill, how much you learn in is governed by how high the skill's governing stats are. You can gain a maximum of 4 points per month, which happens when your governing stat is about 50ish. So it's best to focus on training your stats before skills.

* Don't run out of Stamina. Once you do, every action you take starts draining your HP.

* Camping might seem like kind of a useless skill but it governs how much HP, MP, and Stamina you recover per hour. It's really important for a mage especially since MP is scarce.

* The best contracts to start with are delivery contracts; they don't pay much but are very easy.

* Companions will generally get pissed at you when you kick them out of your party and often won't want to rejoin. If you go to a training session though, it automatically disperses the party and this doesn't upset anyone. So if you want to kick someone out of the party but might want to use them later, do it by starting a training session.

* The endings in this game other than dying of old age are easily missed. In the standard inn interface, there are 7 people to talk to, the innkeeper and 6 patrons. Sometimes there's a scrollbar next to the list of guests that hides a 7th patron; this patron will ask you a yes/no question that will give you an ending if you say "yes."

* The most interesting "ending" giver is the "beautiful woman/man" in the tavern who asks you to marry them. If you agree, the game will end and you'll be given an option to abandon your family and go off adventuring again a year later. You can also opt to retire, in which case you will usually have a child who can then become your PC. Your heir gets all of your equipment, half of your gold and starts with a completely random set of stats, stat caps, and skills. You have no control over what type of character they'll be, but they'll also be much more powerful than any character you created yourself could be.

Lunatic Dawn 2

* Stat caps are much more generous than Lunatic Dawn 1 and will usually be pretty high regardless of your starting values. There are also items you can find that will permanently raise stats regardless of your caps but they're rare and only found in high level dungeons. However you can buy certain very expensive trade goods that when consumed permanently raise stats: Hashish (Will), Matsutake (Will), Chinese Herbal Medicine (Intellect), Opium (Instinct), Mandragora (Instinct) and Royal Jelly (Body).

* The maximum value for each skill usually scales off of multiple stats, though the balance is not evenly divided, e.g. Dodge scales 2/3 off of Instinct and 1/3 off of Agility.

* Stats can be trained anywhere, but you might have to go to a different town or even country in order to train a given skill.

* There are only three towns in the game you can resurrect companions: Hensmort in the Holy Giza Empire, Shibara in Nichiwa, and Pearlrouge in Ficksion. If you die and your companions like you enough, they'll bring you to Hensmort to get raised, no matter where in the world you were when you die.

* You can adjust the number of hours spent traveling vs. resting to speed up movement on the world map. Note that this can literally kill your party from exhaustion if you go overboard. High Camping skill increases efficiency of resting, letting you travel longer without a break.

* A good way to make money, especially early on, is to look for retrieval missions in inns. Rather than take the mission, though, decline it, travel to the dungeon listed in the mission description, find the quest item, and sell it yourself. The sell value for quest items is usually 3-4 times the reward for turning it in.

* Enchant your weapons if they don't have elemental damage already, as it will let you damage enemies immune to normal weapons. Light is a good choice since undead tend to both be weak to it and immune to normal weapons.

* Your party members are very greedy and will try to claim items you find that are totally useless to them. Try to fill up their inventories with garbage usable items, as they won't join the competition for items you find if their inventories are full.

* The AI for party members and monsters alike is dumb as hell. Mages with Basic or Elemental magic have no compunction about nuking their allies with AoE spells, and ranged attackers will happily shoot their allies in the back with arrows or thrown weapons. Plan accordingly when hiring allies.

* Party members are flagged as "attack" or "defense" for combat purposes. Attackers will always use weapons and never cast spells unless you explicitly command them. (and then only healing spells) Defenders will only defend and/or cast spells, and never attack unless you explicitly command them to.

* Each skill except for Camping and Thievery has a master that lives in an otherwise empty dungeon somewhere. If your corresponding skill is high enough, you can train with them to learn "ultimate" skill(s)/spell(s). Which master lives in which dungeon changes from game to game, but the dungeons that house masters remain the same between games.

* When determining what magic to learn, good breakpoints for training are 68 for Physical (gets you Treasure Search), 65 for Basic (gets you Random Ball), 51 for Holy (gets you Turn Undead), and 42 for Dark (gets you Magic Link). Elemental is less necessary, but the Ultimate spells for that school (available in Ficksion) will trivialize the game.

* The requirements for getting married/having children are extremely obscure. You must A) have a human opposite-sex party member close in age to your main character B) They have to like you a lot (went on many quests with you) C) You have to own a home in a town and have a reasonable amount of money D) your potential partner has to be the ONLY other member of your party. If you meet all these requirements, when you rest at your house you're given the option to propose to them. If you accept, then you can retire for a year at your house and potentially have a baby. Your children can join your party once they reach age 16.

* As far as I can tell there's no ending. You just retire (or die) at some point and get a chronology of your character's life. No passing the torch on to your kids in this one either. The main "goal" of the game (if there is one) is to kill the 4 demons that show up, one in each country, before they summon their boss. Or kill that boss, I guess.

Lunatic Dawn 3

* Lunatic Dawn 3 is the weakest game in the trilogy by far, and makes much more sense when you understand that it's a re-release of a long-dead MMO with all of the multiplayer functionality removed. What you're supposed to do in the game you were largely intended to learn from other players, so you'll probably want to look up in a guide somewhere as you probably won't figure it out yourself. Just make sure you're not looking up info on the PS1 version, which is very different.

* What alignments/stats you pick during character/world creation is largely irrelevant as just about everything other than your sex can be changed later.

* Skills level individually, but won't actually increase until you spend points from your stat point pool (you start with 192). You can see how much experience points you have in each skill by going to a guide in an inn, ask them to find someone for you, and then select yourself.

* If you die, you lose 50% of your gold and are sent back to your home or, if you die in a parallel dimension, your homeworld. Dying also shaves a year off your lifespan.

* Early on it's best to take simple delivery quests since they're low-risk. The inn keeps tabs of all the quests that are available in the world, and if you don't know where the quest giver/location is, in each inn there's a guide that will tell you the location of just about everything in your current world for 10GP a pop.

* Your character's stats start to permanently decay at age 40 and will be halved by the time they reach 50. It's a good idea to get married and have kids early so you have an heir ready and waiting by that time. (Children are eligible to adventure when they hit 12)

* Alignment is really important in this game and affects everything. There's the "faith alignment" along Order/Chaos and Spark/Moon axes, the "elemental alignment" along Fire/Air and Earth/Water axes, and then a hidden "magic alignment" that ranges from Magic/Mechanical. You only get a Faith alignment, but your actions will affect the others of your homeworld too. E.G. if your homeword is a desert world and you start enchanting things with water magic, your world will get wetter and wetter and can eventually even turn into a rainforest.

* When using attack magic, it's important to remember that each spell has a faith alignment and an elemental alignment, and each enemy has resistances to both which makes a difference. As an example dragons only have 5% resistance to Earth magic so that's the best type of spell to use, but they have 60% resistance to Chaos so Grand Shake (a Chaos/Earth spell) won't work so well; you'd want to pick Grand Nail (Order/Earth) since they only have 20% resistance to Order. (They have 5% resistance to Spark but Spark/Earth is a healing spell so you can't use it against them)

* Item mixing is really important but recipes aren't documented in-game anywhere so you have to figure them out by trial and error or looking them up online. The latter option is probably better, but if you want to go it on your own, most consumable items can be mixed. For equipment, mixing an item with another of the same type but slightly better will often create something better than either ingredients.

* There are some recipes that can only be mixed in the Dwarf World. These tend to be pretty off the wall so you'll probably need to look them up in a guide online to figure them out. The item to get to the last boss can only be made through one such recipe.

* Black Lily + Lotus Seed can be mixed to create an unlimited-use status curing items. Make it early as ailments are a real annoyance.

* It's not displayed in their stats, but most heavy armor, shields, and some weapons tank your Magic stat. If you find your spells totally ineffective, you might want to change up your equipment to see if something you're equipping is the culprit. Anything mechanical (guns, super electromagnetic yoyo, anything with Type 089 in the name) will render your magic completely useless.

* There are 7 "special" dimensions inhabited by nonhumans. There are special rare items that can be offered to a Link Gate to go to each, but 5 of them can be traveled to normally. Divide the current year of whatever dimension you're in by 6 and add 1 to the remainder; that's the number of the month that the special dimension will be accessible. Note that unlike traveling to a normal parallel dimension, traveling to a special dimension will consume the item you use on the link gate, so use a trash disposable item.

* There are 9 "alignment" worlds you'll need to go to in order to get the items you need to beat the game--four elemental worlds, four faith worlds, and then a machine world. All require special items that drop from enemies. The Machine World item can be gotten from robots which are (relatively) common. Elemental items can be gotten from elemental monsters that sometimes spawn in special worlds. Faith world items can only be gotten from Zealots, which spawn in your home town when it reaches a large size and your homeworld reaches a Faith alignment extreme. (e.g. Chaos Zealots will spawn if your world goes full Order and drop the item you need to go to the Chaos World)

* Recruiting nonhumans to your party from the special dimensions requires a special "translation" item that can be found in alignment dimensions, either as rare drops from specific monsters or in dungeon chests. Nonhumans can be surprisingly tough even without equipment but are otherwise the same as humans. E.g. you can marry and have kids with them, but the offspring of your character and a giant sentient sunfish/talking eggplant/stick figure will still be an ordinary human.

* There is, in fact, a goal to the game and a final boss, but you'd never know just from what you learn in-game. You need to mix a special item to teleport to a special world where the last boss lives, but you can only do that in the Dwarf world, and the recipes you need to create the components are largely from ultra-rare drops in the various alignment worlds. If you get stuck, you might want to just use a tool like Cheat Engine to spawn the special item in your inventory (it's item #83)

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I saw a couple old tips for Spider Man: Miles Morales, but now that I'm playing it on the PC, anything to worry about? First game couldn't really miss anything or lock out of anything so I am guessing no.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Elendil004 posted:

I saw a couple old tips for Spider Man: Miles Morales, but now that I'm playing it on the PC, anything to worry about? First game couldn't really miss anything or lock out of anything so I am guessing no.

Yup. There's nothing locked or missable other than the usual end-game thing where it tells you before continuing that you'll be in end-game mode for a little bit.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Anything I should know about before starting Jagged Alliance 3?

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Szarrukin posted:

isnt that brand new? get in there and write some tips for the rest of us! 🙂

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Could someone more knowledgeably with wiki formatting fix "Stardew valley" to "Stardew Valley" (both in the table of contents and the article title)? I don't know how to change the TOC.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 18, 2023

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Szarrukin posted:

When recruiting initial mercs, make sure to click the IMP tab at the top to create a custom merc. This is "you" and after the initial cost, has no upkeep costs. Also, make sure you have at least 4, preferably 5 in your group initially (including IMP).

Try to make sure you have enough specialties in your group. You want a medic, a demo expert, a mechanic, and some solid shooters. It's good to have someone with decent leadership too for training mercs and militia.

When you make a character, look closely at the stats. Talents can only be taken if stats are high enough, with the breakpoints being 70, 80, and 90. If your stats are too low, you won't be able to gain any benefits from leveling up. That said, stats can be raised by training.

Training in this game is different than JA2. The old strategy of high wisdom and low everything else doesn't work as well, because field experience Stat increases are more rare.

The main way to improve mercs is training. The relevant stats here are Leadership (for the teacher) and Wisdom (for the student). So a high leadership merc can teach whatever stat they want well, and high wisdom mercs learn quickly. Keep this in mind when choosing long term members.

Wisdom is not trainable, so don't shoot your IMP in the foot at the start.

When doing training, there is a button on the bottom of the interface to change what stat is being taught.

There isn't really a hard timer, but don't dilly dally. Money is a problem to start, but once you get some mines going it becomes less of an issue. The mines DO eventually run dry, though it takes a while.

Train militia whenever you can, they do good work in holding off attackers. It might even be a good idea to hire a merc specifically for this, and have them go around keeping militia levels high while your main team does stuff.

Save tiny diamonds, they can be used in Fleatown.

In combat, listen to the audio queues the mercs give you. This gives you a good idea of how likely the shot is to hit. Or download the official hit chance mod.

When shooting, right clicking in the targeting interface spends extra AP to aim the attack, making it more accurate. A lot of weapon modifications will play around with this mechanic.

There is a distress call from some other mercs that happens a bit into the game, and you need to go far north to assist. Once this happens, a series of events take place that drastically change the state of the world, so try and get as much done before then as you can. Specifically, do everything you can in the Refugee Camp before this happens.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 18, 2023

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Anything for Conquest of Elysium 5? Do the tips for Conquest of Elysium 4 on the wiki hold for 5? I know a lot of Ilwinter's games tend to be somewhat iterative.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Much has been made about the differences between Final Fantasy 7 Remake and the PS1 original. How much of of the original game's plot is needed to understand what's new?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Captain Walker posted:

Much has been made about the differences between Final Fantasy 7 Remake and the PS1 original. How much of of the original game's plot is needed to understand what's new?

You don't have to play the original game to understand what's new but there's a lot of details and references that being familiar with the original will help with. You should be okay going in blind.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Captain Walker posted:

None, really. At the end of the game you get an explanation that makes it clear in hindsight what was different or where the story could have diverged. Sounds vague but without spoiling I don't know how else to explain. I didn't play the original and only know some of the broad strokes.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ultrafilter posted:

If you're not going to play FF7 yourself, Elentor's LP is probably the best way to experience it unless you're really committed to watching videos.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
I think you’re ok as long as you know sephiroth was the big bad guy from the original. They start dropping him into cutscenes and other major parts of the game starting as early as the intro sequence and I don’t remember them explaining him or why he’s there at all.

Otherwise, there’s plot acknowledgement that they changed things from the original game and know that the remake is an elaboration of only the first ~1/3rd of the original game. There’s going to be some loose plot threads left over and some things that feel randomly inserted in for the sake of giving it a big finale where the original didn’t have one. There’s going to be extra remake chapters for the rest.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It’s probably also fun to play the remake first and then go back to the original to see the differences so yolo imo. You’ll have time to kill before part 2 comes out anyway

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
All of that said, the game's plot is directly related to the original in a number of critical ways, so having at least an understanding of what went down would go a long way towards getting the most out of the remake.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

All of that said, the game's plot is directly related to the original in a number of critical ways, so having at least an understanding of what went down would go a long way towards getting the most out of the remake.

Yeah I’m trying to avoid being too coy about spoilers here but I think both games are worth at least seeing the plots of in some form, in some order, to make the most of the remake. But I don’t think you need to chore through the original first if you’re interested in playing the remake

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I’m trying to avoid being too coy about spoilers here but I think both games are worth at least seeing the plots of in some form, in some order, to make the most of the remake. But I don’t think you need to chore through the original first if you’re interested in playing the remake

Oh I agree, a recap would be fine.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

When recruiting initial mercs, make sure to click the IMP tab at the top to create a custom merc. This is "you" and after the initial cost, has no upkeep costs. Also, make sure you have at least 4, preferably 5 in your group initially (including IMP).

Try to make sure you have enough specialties in your group. You want a medic, a demo expert, a mechanic, and some solid shooters. It's good to have someone with decent leadership too for training mercs and militia.

When you make a character, look closely at the stats. Talents can only be taken if stats are high enough, with the breakpoints being 70, 80, and 90. If your stats are too low, you won't be able to gain any benefits from leveling up. That said, stats can be raised by training.

Training in this game is different than JA2. The old strategy of high wisdom and low everything else doesn't work as well, because field experience Stat increases are more rare.

The main way to improve mercs is training. The relevant stats here are Leadership (for the teacher) and Wisdom (for the student). So a high leadership merc can teach whatever stat they want well, and high wisdom mercs learn quickly. Keep this in mind when choosing long term members.

Wisdom is not trainable, so don't shoot your IMP in the foot at the start.

When doing training, there is a button on the bottom of the interface to change what stat is being taught.

There isn't really a hard timer, but don't dilly dally. Money is a problem to start, but once you get some mines going it becomes less of an issue. The mines DO eventually run dry, though it takes a while.

Train militia whenever you can, they do good work in holding off attackers. It might even be a good idea to hire a merc specifically for this, and have them go around keeping militia levels high while your main team does stuff.

Save tiny diamonds, they can be used in Fleatown.

In combat, listen to the audio queues the mercs give you. This gives you a good idea of how likely the shot is to hit. Or download the official hit chance mod.

When shooting, right clicking in the targeting interface spends extra AP to aim the attack, making it more accurate. A lot of weapon modifications will play around with this mechanic.

There is a distress call from some other mercs that happens a bit into the game, and you need to go far north to assist. Once this happens, a series of events take place that drastically change the state of the world, so try and get as much done before then as you can. Specifically, do everything you can in the Refugee Camp before this happens.

A couple of things I'd add to this:

- Historical artefacts have a use in Port Cacao, so you might want to hold on to them

- If you call a merc and they straight up refuse to work with you, they're gone for good. If it's someone you really want, you might want to reload and hire someone they like first.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Pierzak posted:

Could someone more knowledgeably with wiki formatting fix "Stardew valley" to "Stardew Valley" (both in the table of contents and the article title)? I don't know how to change the TOC.

As someone who cares about accuracy, I'm glad you brought this up, and I've fixed it.

If you're curious, you need to "move" a page to change its title, and the table of contents is automatically generated so that should reflect the new title.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

ahobday posted:

If you're curious, you need to "move" a page to change its title, and the table of contents is automatically generated so that should reflect the new title.
Not sure I understand. Do you mean that I should've made another page with the correct title, copied everything into the new page, and deleted the old one?

Also nice to hear my nitpicking is appreciated and not treated as unnecessary pedantry. :v:

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Captain Walker posted:

It's KINDA PS1 disc 1 with enough variation that the TWO are independent. In short, if you've played the original you're hooting and hollering at the gameplay and references, if remake is your first you're hooting and hollering at the gameplay and characters. If you're playing the ps1 version it would be good to have the one that let's you turn off random encounters

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Pierzak posted:

Not sure I understand. Do you mean that I should've made another page with the correct title, copied everything into the new page, and deleted the old one?

Not manually: MediaWiki gives you a "move" option which does it all for you. I assume it's database weirdness that means you can't rename pages directly.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Oscar Wild posted:

It's KINDA PS1 disc 1 with enough variation that the TWO are independent. In short, if you've played the original you're hooting and hollering at the gameplay and references, if remake is your first you're hooting and hollering at the gameplay and characters. If you're playing the ps1 version it would be good to have the one that let's you turn off random encounters

It's like, a fourth of disc one, if that.

The Midgar section in the original was a lot shorter than people remember and Remake does a lot to expand on it and turn it into a full game, sometimes to it's detriment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

it's kinda like if you promised to remake Twilight Princess and the first installment was just a full life sim game that covers the tutorial village