Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUDJm_bwozE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

"I'm your Huckleberry"

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

"I'm your Huckleberry"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUDJm_bwozE

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
How is there a Val Kilmer thread without mentioning "The Doors"?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJu9nfVCQmk

Mr. Barnesworth
Jun 28, 2008

I said GOOD DAY, sir!
gonna demean myself with Ralph

again

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

yeah, but Keaton has the best "I'm Batman"

He also has an awesome scene I can't imagine other Batmans doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnVEUB3RMW0

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

limp_cheese posted:

He also has an awesome scene I can't imagine other Batmans doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnVEUB3RMW0

It’s shocking how inappropriately that line was shoehorned into the flash. It was just…said for no reason

naem
May 29, 2011

on the imgur front page just now:

https://i.imgur.com/uCqTCAh.mp4

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

naem posted:

on the imgur front page just now:

https://i.imgur.com/uCqTCAh.mp4

trailer park boys is intense now

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

How do I turn off motion smoothing on a gif?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

when is the last time someone made a crime thriller as good as Heat or Collateral?

most recent one i watched was The Drop with Tom Hardy, Noomi Rapace, and James Gandolfini. it was enjoyable but also a very small scale movie, no big set piece action scenes or anything. and also its from like 2014

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Heat is my favourite movie of all time, and it was a slow rise to the top over multiple watches as my appreciation grew.

I don’t have much to add that hasn’t already been covered in this thread, but whomever mentioned that the climax of Last of the Mohicans had really sparse dialogue reminded me of Rififi. If you like Heat and Thief that’s another excellent film. I’m fluent in French and still needed subtitles, but you won’t need any for the best part.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Earwicker posted:

when is the last time someone made a crime thriller as good as Heat or Collateral?

most recent one i watched was The Drop with Tom Hardy, Noomi Rapace, and James Gandolfini. it was enjoyable but also a very small scale movie, no big set piece action scenes or anything. and also its from like 2014

I really liked Riders of Justice, it's a Danish film starting Mads Mikklelsen about a soldier who goes on a revenge spree after his wife dies. It's a very very dark film. Small Town Crime with John Hawkes is also a recent crime film I liked.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

oh yea there's also a pretty good modern western bank robbery movie, Hell or High Water, from 2016. Chris Pine and Jeff Bridges.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

"The Town" was good. Though it was clearly made since Ben Affleck wanted to make his own Heat that took place in Boston (of course).

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Sicario has a pretty good claim to being the best crime thriller in the past decade.

I also love Drive to death but it’s not quite in the same vein as stuff like Heat and The Town.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

oh yeah Sicario was very good

Drive starts off cool but i like it less and less over the course of the movie. good music tho

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Sicario rules but the fact they haven't made a movie around Jeffrey Donovan's character is criminal...

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

B-Rock452 posted:

Sicario rules but the fact they haven't made a movie around Jeffrey Donovan's character is criminal...

i would rather just watch a movie about the real Mike Vining himself. but most of the poo poo that dude did is probably still classified

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Earwicker posted:

i would rather just watch a movie about the real Mike Vining himself. but most of the poo poo that dude did is probably still classified

As long as it stars Jeffrey Donovan I agree

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

B-Rock452 posted:

I SAID THE SAME EXACT THING the first time I saw that scene

I should rewatch Burn Notice

haljordan fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 17, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Snowy posted:

How do I turn off motion smoothing on a gif?

It looks so bad

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
"The Place Beyond the Pines" is good too. Well, the beginning of it at least if you're only looking for heist movies.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Val Kilmer V Michael Biehn

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Earwicker posted:

oh yea there's also a pretty good modern western bank robbery movie, Hell or High Water, from 2016. Chris Pine and Jeff Bridges.

This movie was severely underrated.

I know I've mentioned it ITT before, and it's not exactly modern, but The Score is a fantastic heist movie. DeNiro, Norton and Brando planning a heist in scenic Montreal.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
you can almost smell the corpses in the st lawrence

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

haljordan posted:

I should rewatch Burn Notice

Same it's a fun show

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Extra Large Marge posted:

"The Place Beyond the Pines" is good too. Well, the beginning of it at least if you're only looking for heist movies.

My wife grew up in Schenectady so we watch that movie every couple years. The first part is very very good but it starts dragging near the end

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Mister Speaker posted:

This movie was severely underrated.

I know I've mentioned it ITT before, and it's not exactly modern, but The Score is a fantastic heist movie. DeNiro, Norton and Brando planning a heist in scenic Montreal.

Brando kept calling Frank Oz "Miss Piggy" throughout filming, such a colossal rear end in a top hat lol. Also I saw "Island of Dr. Moreau" in the theater, someone owes me money.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

haljordan posted:

Brando kept calling Frank Oz "Miss Piggy" throughout filming, such a colossal rear end in a top hat lol. Also I saw "Island of Dr. Moreau" in the theater, someone owes me money.

Hahaha that's awesome, Brando ruled.

A few pages back someone mentioned this and it just popped back into my mind: Do we ever find out what's actually in the case in Ronin? I remember the case itself being the kind of case you'd carry figure skates in, but not if it's ever opened or anything.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Mister Speaker posted:

A few pages back someone mentioned this and it just popped back into my mind: Do we ever find out what's actually in the case in Ronin? I remember the case itself being the kind of case you'd carry figure skates in, but not if it's ever opened or anything.

Nope and when Jean Reno asks DeNiro what was in the case DeNiro said "I don't remember."

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

haljordan posted:

Lol it was interesting to learn when Oz was involved in making a magic stage show and gave an interview, it was noted he always have to have personal security or crazed Star Wars fans make his life hellish.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

the case is:

[ ] heavy
[ ] explosive
[ x ] chained to some unlucky bloke's wrist

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Holy poo poo, I'd never watched HEAT besides a few clips here and there, decided to change that

hot poo poo on a stick, what a great movie! I'm a bit past the coffee scene and such, I had to take a break because of the suspense, good stuff! this director can build up the stress

I remember the coffee scene where the two guys meet, probably watched the clip on youtube, and I was very much "meh"... but in context of everything that goes on before, it's really fukn great

Movie seems to have been made about right before Al Pacino decided to go full ham on every role, so he's still mostly good actin', but with a lot of AL PACINO SHOUTING moments

great great stuff. I hear there's a shootout with Val Kilmer coming, so I'm guessing where things are going

So yeah, movie absolutely holds up in 2023 imo

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Saw it again last night but in a theater, incredible experience. Highly recommend

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

I really hope Heat 2 actually happens. Because I was prepared for that book/story to be pretty average based on Mann's work over the last 10-15 years, but holy poo poo, if the Mexico heist makes it to film, it's gonna own bones.

The audiobook is so good

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I watched Infernal Affairs last night and what a loving cool movie. Grimy as hell Y2K Hong Kong is a great setting for a crime thriller. Love Andy Lau, love Tony Leung.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I watched Infernal Affairs last night and what a loving cool movie. Grimy as hell Y2K Hong Kong is a great setting for a crime thriller. Love Andy Lau, love Tony Leung.

The bluray contains the mainland Chinese ending as a bonus feature and it’s amazing. Everything is pretty much the same up until he leaves the elevator then a buncha cops show up and go “WE KNOW YOURE A BAD GUY” and arrest him. Roll credits.

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000

Earwicker posted:

I stumbled onto The Drop about a year ago and thought it was pretty drat good. Small-scale like you said, but a good solid story. One of a couple of films that made me kind of a Tom Hardy fan. Plus, Gandolfini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Baxter posted:

I stumbled onto The Drop about a year ago and thought it was pretty drat good. Small-scale like you said, but a good solid story. One of a couple of films that made me kind of a Tom Hardy fan. Plus, Gandolfini.

I randomly found it a few days ago and enjoyed it. Love the small scale stakes and neighborhood bully stuff.