Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Uh, I forgot to buy milk again. Welp, better take my highly illegal trafficked child slaves with me to the Piggly Wiggly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Coolness Averted posted:

I'm not sure if that thing where they squint and find synonyms, anagrams,and secret clues is induced schizophrenia that leaves people finding false patterns, or if it's a matter of so much media consumption they have baby brains that process everything like it's a TV show or movie.

It's brain damage. Brain damage and untreated severe mental illness. And making GBS threads out some vile, incoherent screed on twitter or wherever is normalised as long as you're racist about it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m guessing the video itself isn’t paid for by the makeup brand and is the posters true feelings, however they’ve chosen to promote said video and thus is flagged as an ad?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Read After Burning posted:

My partner read that and enjoyed it, although there's apparently a bit too much focus on how horny the protagonist is now that his wife is dead. :stare:

I don't remember that part but also it's been 15 years and that definitely sounds like the sort of thing Matheson would get hung up on.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Hey, remember this lady from back in December 2022?

Well, she lost her medical license for good!

https://twitter.com/InTheKnow/status/1679517400813772801
https://twitter.com/13abc/status/1679536174795218949
https://twitter.com/WDTN/status/1679528731981774849

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’m guessing the video itself isn’t paid for by the makeup brand and is the posters true feelings, however they’ve chosen to promote said video and thus is flagged as an ad?

I think that's it! :cheers:

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't remember that part but also it's been 15 years and that definitely sounds like the sort of thing Matheson would get hung up on.

I don't think it's anything TOO detailed, just something about the lady vampires bending over in front of the protagonist's window to mess with him.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, that sounds like Matheson alright.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

steinrokkan posted:

Uh, I forgot to buy milk again. Welp, better take my highly illegal trafficked child slaves with me to the Piggly Wiggly
I think this is my favorite part. The idea that they've just kidnapped a child and are now casually shopping with them like it's nbd. Just butt in to random families and demand to see the child's birth certificate so you know they're not child traffickers disguised as suburban shoppers! This is very normal.
Actually maybe my favorite part is them implying 10% of crying children are trafficking victims.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Isn’t that sort of what happened with Elizabeth Smart? The kidnappers just took her out in public. Not that I’m defending the IoSM here or anything.

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019
I Am Legend is half evocative loneliness and half the goofiest poo poo.

The protagonist breaks down weeping from the lack of sex and later it's mentioned that it's been 10 months since his wife died.

The vampires that congregate outside his home every night have two tactics to try and get him to come outside so they can kill him:
1. Male vamp - ask him to come outside
2. Female vamp - wiggle bare crotch

At one point he's late getting back and fights his way through all of them to get through the door, makes them seem super weak.

But the melancholy... one simple part that got to me was him having sherbert for dessert

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

steinrokkan posted:

I read somewhere 1 in 10 children is actively being trafficked at any given time. Luckily there's a helpful secret code and warning signs to help you spot this:
-Is the child waving an arm? This is to get your attention
-Is the child stomping a foot? This is potentially morse code to alert witnesses
-Are they crying? Distressed? Potentially saying "no" or unintelligible things? This is because they do not want to be trafficked
-Other key phrases include"Mommy!" Or "Daddy" as in "(this is not my) Mommy/Daddy!"
-The child may feign falling down, or getting hurt in order to make their crying seem to be for another reason and dupe their attacker.
-Traffickers generally target children at least 10-20 years younger than them. Always be wary of an adult you do not know accompanying a child you haven't seen them with before.
-Not all trafficking victims will act out, many have learned they must act affectionate towards their abductors or otherwise feign happiness. A smiling child, or one laughing at things you don't find funny may have been drugged!
-Traffickers often hide in plain sight, if you routinely see an adult you do not know accompanying the same child (sometimes for years) be ready to act!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

chglcu posted:

Isn’t that sort of what happened with Elizabeth Smart? The kidnappers just took her out in public. Not that I’m defending the IoSM here or anything.

Smart was older than "throwing a tantrum" age, and had been conditioned against acting out by her abductors when they began bringing her into public, chiefly by threatening to kill her if she did literally anything. They also disguised her to make it even less obvious that she didn't belong with them.

CW: rape: She also blamed abstinence-only sex ed for her unwillingness to act out, because once she was raped she believed she was ruined and so it wasn't worth escaping anyway.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

Such innocent times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZAc0xC9hbw

Behind the innocence hides a tragic backstory.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Didn't one of those nutters straight-up grab some guy's kid in the checkout at a drug store and try running to their car with them (aka, kidnapping) because they were convinced the only reason an adult male would be in public with a kid was abuse?

Coffee Sludge
Dec 14, 2003

Dag nabbit
Grimey Drawer

chglcu posted:

The couple that took her were a weird homeless couple. They always wore these white-ish full body wrap things and dressed Elizabeth the same in public. My memories of the couple were just that they were some weird religious nuts I occasionally saw in downtown SLC or on a bus and that was years before the abduction.

disaster pastor posted:

Smart was older than "throwing a tantrum" age, and had been conditioned against acting out by her abductors when they began bringing her into public, chiefly by threatening to kill her if she did literally anything. They also disguised her to make it even less obvious that she didn't belong with them.

CW: rape: She also blamed abstinence-only sex ed for her unwillingness to act out, because once she was raped she believed she was ruined and so it wasn't worth escaping anyway.

and this... especially the CW bit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Eye of Argon is legit fun to read, spelling errors and all. You should read it if you haven't.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Byzantine posted:

Didn't one of those nutters straight-up grab some guy's kid in the checkout at a drug store and try running to their car with them (aka, kidnapping) because they were convinced the only reason an adult male would be in public with a kid was abuse?

There's been multiple cases of this sort of thing, including someone basically livetweeting their attempt at 'saving a trafficking victim' in a store. It boiled down to they made up in their mind a man would never be in public with a girl unless it was trafficking.
Warning signs the girl was being abducted included that she wasn't comfortable talking to the strange woman who approached her and that the father seemed agitated that a weirdo wouldn't leave his child alone.

They luckily didn't try grabbing and fleeing with the girl, but after failing to convince the child to leave with her, they tried talking to the store manager about it lol

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Byzantine posted:

It's happened on planes a few times; parents of one race (perceived or otherwise) traveling with a kid of another race (perceived or otherwise) getting accused of kidnapping.

New York Post article from 2020 posted:

A black social worker is suing American Airlines, alleging her civil rights were violated after she was detained under suspicion of kidnapping a one-year-old white boy.

Shannon Murphy was accompanying the boy on a flight from Fort Worth, Texas to Ontario International Airport in San Bernardino County in California after the child had spent a two-week court-ordered visit with his father when she was detained. According to the filing obtained by the Mercury News, “a passenger told a flight attendant ‘that Ms. Murphy was holding a kidnap victim’.”

Murphy, a Riverside County, California, resident who has worked for the Department of Public Social Services’ Children’s Services Division since 1999, had an ID, the boy’s birth certificate and a court order, was nonetheless detained for about an hour before being allowed to re-board the plane.

The lawsuit states that although the boy in Murphy’s charge was light-skinned and blond, he was mistaken for a five-year-old, Hispanic child with dark hair missing from New York City. During the detainment, Murphy alleges airline employees “took the boy from Murphy’s arms and threatened her with force if she didn’t comply.”

“Had American Airline(s) (researched the matter) first prior to hauling Plaintiff, Ms. Murphy, off the plane and detaining her and the one-year-old Caucasian male dependent, Ms. Murphy would not have suffered the mental, physical and psychological harm flight personnel inflicted upon her,” the lawsuit alleges.
https://nypost.com/2020/07/18/american-airlines-accused-black-woman-of-kidnapping-white-child-suit/

People Magazine article from 2021 posted:

A white mother who was traveling with her Black daughter is demanding an apology from Southwest Airlines after being suspected of human trafficking.

On Saturday, 42-year-old Mary MacCarthy spoke to PEOPLE about the Oct. 22 incident that left her and her 10-year-old daughter Moira "traumatized."

After that minor hiccup, the flight seemed routine. However, upon touchdown in Denver, MacCarthy revealed she was caught off guard when a Southwest Airlines employee and two police officers were waiting for the pair on the jet bridge.

"I was confronted by two armed police officers. One started speaking to me, the other to my daughter. I was really confused because they seemed to know our names," she recalled.

At first, MacCarthy explained that she thought another member of her family had died, and that police were there to break the news.

Instead, they said: "'We're here to talk to you because you and your daughter were reported as having suspicious behavior.' At that point in my mind, it clicked that we had probably been profiled. I've been raising this girl for 10 years; she's my biological daughter, and I knew things like this could happen."
https://people.com/human-interest/white-mom-says-southwest-airlines-employee-suspected-her-trafficking-black-daughter/

Also Lindsay Lohan once apparently tried it with a Syrian refugee child, but she may have been having a mental break at the time. :shrug:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Thinking that “light-skinned and blond” kid may be hispanic isn’t that weird, but thinking that one‐year‐old may be five years old is.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

I think this is my favorite part. The idea that they've just kidnapped a child and are now casually shopping with them like it's nbd. Just butt in to random families and demand to see the child's birth certificate so you know they're not child traffickers disguised as suburban shoppers! This is very normal.
Actually maybe my favorite part is them implying 10% of crying children are trafficking victims.

I used to work for a nonprofit that combatted TiP (I didn’t work with the department that focused on children) and I always lol at these. The sheer amount of misinformation on how it happens is staggering. People think that it’s like, throwing kids in vans in broad daylight. Or when covid popped off and people were like “if kids have masks on, you can’t see when they have duct tape over their mouths!”. It reminds me of how early on in breaking bad Walt wants to do a deal at a junkyard and both parties are like “why the gently caress are we here? We usually just meet at the mall”.

I live in a US city that is regularly #3/4 for human trafficking nationwide. It’s a relatively small city, but it has a bunch of really high traffic areas (sports stadiums, malls, event centers) that area right next to each other. Most human trafficking (not the kidnapping part, the selling/moving) happens in a parking lot before kickoff or at 2PM on a Saturday. And what’s ironic is that it’s these TikTok yokels who post all day about “secret hand signal traffickers use!!!” are typically providing the cover for traffickers while they’re shopping at H&M and getting drunk in a parking lot before the big game.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
if they really cared about human trafficking then they would passionately advocate for fewer barriers to migration. but they dont for some reason

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
There just aren't consequences for spreading misinformation. Anyone can make a TikTok and say "kids in red jackets are a sign for potential slavers that this one is up for sale" and just go on with their day. People will do anything but check on legitimate websites for what real human trafficking looks like.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

ELTON JOHN posted:

if they really cared about human trafficking then they would passionately advocate for fewer barriers to migration. but they dont for some reason

The largest human trafficking cases have generally been cases of unscrupulous employment agencies abusing (h)(1)(b) guest worker visas. But no "vigilante" is going to give a poo poo about some poor farm worker in Arizona working in slave labor conditions.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
around 80% of nigerian woman arriving in europe across the mediterranean have spent time in the hands of human traffickers, and european countries are happy to funnel hundreds of millions of euros into morocco and libya to prevent them from crossing. the only way theyre getting across is by going into debt to various mafias, and a young migrant woman arriving in europe with debts to pay off is gonna be forced to pay it off with prostitution

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

cult_hero posted:

The largest human trafficking cases have generally been cases of unscrupulous employment agencies abusing (h)(1)(b) guest worker visas. But no "vigilante" is going to give a poo poo about some poor farm worker in Arizona working in slave labor conditions.

Isn't there that thing in....the UAE, I think? Where rich families will hire poor women from other countries like the Philippines to be maids, etc., confiscate their passports/IDs once they arrive, and then just...don't let them leave?

I seem to remember some UAE influencer being accused of this and essentially defending it as not a big deal? :stare:

Here we go! I don't think this is the woman I'm thinking of (the one I'm thinking of was more recent), but here's an example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sondos_Alqattan#Video_on_domestic_workers

Read After Burning has a new favorite as of 23:19 on Jul 17, 2023

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
The anatomy of a moral panic is to identify a real issue (child abuse, human trafficking, drug overdoses, etc) and then redirect energy and outrage away from a complicated, difficult to solve issue (abuse of authority by trusted family or community members, the failures of the immigration system/misogyny/capitalism, a broken healthcare and social service system) to a conveniently already mostly powerless scapegoat.

The Satanic Panic came in the wake of increased cultural awareness of child abuse as a thing and redirected suspicion away from people it would be inconvenient to suspect or inconvenience like parents in respected families, respected members of the community like clergy, and other potential authority figures in a position to abuse the trust of a child to a convenient Other of evil scheming daycare workers that want to undermine God and the American family. It turns something that could actually threaten the status quo into a reason the status quo is not only in no way involved, but actually under attack by these evil outsiders!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

ELTON JOHN posted:

Right, I've ranted about this before (maybe not in this thread) but the majority of human trafficking isn't the lurid child sex rings, it's poo poo like smuggling people seeking jobs into a foreign country and then forcing them to work jobs like farming, cleaning hotels, or construction while paying them illegal wages and controlling their movement.

Conservatives also love reframing sex work as 'trafficking' since a lot of the public sentiment on sex work has softened, but we're generally all still repulsed by human slavery or the abuse of children, so they can get us to turn a blind eye to regressive policies and movements or even actively support them.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
It's really easy to get people to believe in folk devils, and extremely hard to dismantle actual broken entrenched systems.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

The shadowy organization that will steal your kid unless you've memorized their secret codes from the various fw:fw:fw: e-mails your cousins keep sending you: definitely real, and wouldn't you feel stupid if your kid got kidnapped by them?

Your neighbor's maid whose passport got taken by your neighbor and is afraid to say anything because he's threatening to kill her daughter if she does: probably an illegal, who gives a poo poo?

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Stonehouse Beach posted:

I Am Legend is half evocative loneliness and half the goofiest poo poo.

The protagonist breaks down weeping from the lack of sex and later it's mentioned that it's been 10 months since his wife died.

The vampires that congregate outside his home every night have two tactics to try and get him to come outside so they can kill him:
1. Male vamp - ask him to come outside
2. Female vamp - wiggle bare crotch

At one point he's late getting back and fights his way through all of them to get through the door, makes them seem super weak.

But the melancholy... one simple part that got to me was him having sherbert for dessert

I have a second hand copy bought for $1 sitting on my shelves, honestly not sure if I should move it up or down my ‘to read’ list based on that.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

My partner read that and enjoyed it, although there's apparently a bit too much focus on how horny the protagonist is now that his wife is dead. :stare:

wife dead, so what, let's gently caress

Your move, Hemingway

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

chglcu posted:

They took her out in public but she wasn't throwing temper tantrums. She was found because relatives of the kidnapper recognized him from a police sketch and gave police and media photographs of him and then people recognized him from those photographs.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Isn't there that thing in....the UAE, I think? Where rich families will hire poor women from other countries like the Philippines to be maids, etc., confiscate their passports/IDs once they arrive, and then just...don't let them leave?

I seem to remember some UAE influencer being accused of this and essentially defending it as not a big deal? :stare:

Here we go! I don't think this is the woman I'm thinking of (the one I'm thinking of was more recent), but here's an example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sondos_Alqattan#Video_on_domestic_workers

My "Involved in human trafficking" T-shirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my shirt

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://twitter.com/JakeMooreUK/status/1680962682726363136

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

incredible

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Coolness Averted posted:

Right, I've ranted about this before (maybe not in this thread) but the majority of human trafficking isn't the lurid child sex rings, it's poo poo like smuggling people seeking jobs into a foreign country and then forcing them to work jobs like farming, cleaning hotels, or construction while paying them illegal wages and controlling their movement.

"Activists" (quotes intended) love to conflate the difference between these two groups, so they can conjure up images of white middle class women or children being kidnapped from mall parking lots or cruise ships and forced into prostitution. Because the reality of Romanian men crammed into overcrowded lodgings and paid poorly for picking fruit (or Filipina maids having their passports confiscated by their employer, etc.) is far too boring and difficult to deal with. They'll latch onto and defend unlikely sightings (different age, height, hair colour, ethnicity, geography) with all sorts of implausible explanations - the original description was wrong and anyway the kidnappers disguised them and are hustling them about Boise, Monterey and Toronto, surrounded by a team of bodyguards. (Thinking especially of Amy Bradley here: https://lostmediawiki.com/Amy_Lynn_Bradley_(lost_Rhapsody_of_the_Seas_cruise_pictures_of_missing_woman;_1998))

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Remember when chuds were mercilessly mocking anyone that threatened to leave the country if Trump won? How they figured it must be a good idea now!
https://twitter.com/JoeyMannarinoUS/status/1680925944440139778?t=uZYujjH3S_-38sXbQgEmow&s=19

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I hate when they threaten me with a good time.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
"Biden hasn't gone door to door to confiscate all guns and force us all into gay marriages yet, but he certainly will upon reelection."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Another promise broken by a politician just to get into office