Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

You seem to be incorrectly witnessing genocide, want to have another go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
There's been a lot of this Christian with valknut tat style posting all over the internet ever since it became clear that the spring offense was nothing. Almost like they feel the need to convince their own more gullible, less tuned in, followers that they're not backing the European version of the mujahideen at this point.

If the media grants the gullible McDonald's crowd a narrative that tells them how to be both capital D democrats (the good guys!) while also being anti-war (like Tucker Carlson????) we might see a slow draw down and a west/east split.

Just in time to start the real wars that the US has been salivating about for decades. The US won't stop until all of Asia is a checkerboard of tourist friendly and easily bribed regional democratic ethnostates, finally free of the shackles of whoever their neighbors are, all thanks to US intervention. Do not ask the age of consent.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I think they will in fact be easily stopped by China.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

not quite sure when NATO is going to formally tire of supporting Ukraine but having watched the NATO summit, I think things are going to change sometime after the first of the year 2024

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

bedpan posted:

not quite sure when NATO is going to formally tire of supporting Ukraine but having watched the NATO summit, I think things are going to change sometime after the first of the year 2024

then i guess it's nuclear brinkmanship with China for an indefinite amount of time

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Regarde Aduck posted:

then i guess it's nuclear brinkmanship with China for an indefinite amount of time

until trump is elected and dissolves nato

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

bedpan posted:

Finally! Enough of this backwater!

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Ukraine is still a good grift for disposing of old unwanted gear to justify buying new shiny gear. The west will keep supplying Ukraine for some time to come. I think the real limiting factor on western support is how long the US will prop up Ukraine's government by paying all their bills. They probably lose financial support before they lose military support, which will have no repercussions whatsoever because the west absolutely thinks everything through

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Nonsense posted:

Finally! Enough of this backwater!

Yep. Watch out for articles about Ukraine not in fact being important or Russia is already contained or the real menace/cause of the war was China

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

the russians are literally going to kill every single man, woman, and child in Ukraine but we've got to look at the big picture and fight the Chinese

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

you know this topic is an extremely good place if you ever feel like finessing rhetoric/discourse

we've talked about this here and in other threads, but one really difficult thing to break through is this thing of our time where a different affirmation is taken immediately as a negative/refusal. So, when people point out "hey there are nazis in the ukrainian forces", ideological discourse takes full steam in others and means that the person affirming that is obviously a sympathizer of Putin and favorable to the present Russian state

but of course, both things can be true: there are nazis in the ukrainian forces and the present Russian state is led by a reactionary oligarch, who has his own fascist cretins also.

and emphasizing such things work. People start to realize that they are going together with a bundle of assumptions about the topic because that's what ideological discourse does, and the gears shift accordingly (and of course it is much more effective when actually talking to people instead of posting)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Sure, we learned about it in Artillery School, because no Canadian gun has ever been lost to the enemy, no matter the circumstances:

"After the defeat and evacuation of the British Expeditionary Force, the German army launched a second offensive against the remainder of the French army south of the Seine and Marne rivers on 5 June. The British War Cabinet organized a second expeditionary force under the command of General Sir Alan Brooke. This force included the 1st Canadian Division commanded by Major-General Andrew McNaughton.

The first wave, or, to use the military term, advance guard, of the 1st Canadian Division, 1st Canadian Infantry Brigade, arrived at the French port of Brest on 13 June. The following day, the battalions of the 1st Canadian Infantry Brigade moved by rail toward Le Mans. The German army entered Paris on 17 June 1940, and the French government requested an armistice. As a result, the second British Expeditionary Force including the Canadian 1st Infantry Brigade immediately withdrew and, by 18 June, had boarded troopships in Brest and St. Malo and returned to Britain. Fortunately, the rest of 1 Canadian Division had never left England. The Canadian Brigade was forced to abandon most of its vehicles, but it was able to save all of its artillery."

The ship sunk was part of the same evacuation of British forces from elsewhere in France.

Thanks dude! The whole battle of France is just drastically different to how it's depicted in even semi serious history

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

dead gay comedy forums posted:

you know this topic is an extremely good place if you ever feel like finessing rhetoric/discourse

we've talked about this here and in other threads, but one really difficult thing to break through is this thing of our time where a different affirmation is taken immediately as a negative/refusal. So, when people point out "hey there are nazis in the ukrainian forces", ideological discourse takes full steam in others and means that the person affirming that is obviously a sympathizer of Putin and favorable to the present Russian state

but of course, both things can be true: there are nazis in the ukrainian forces and the present Russian state is led by a reactionary oligarch, who has his own fascist cretins also.

and emphasizing such things work. People start to realize that they are going together with a bundle of assumptions about the topic because that's what ideological discourse does, and the gears shift accordingly (and of course it is much more effective when actually talking to people instead of posting)

ime if you successfully manage to get western liberals to actually listen to something like "the russian and ukrainian working classes are both being brutalized by their respective ruling classes" they will respond with something along the lines of "yes but that's no fun," but mostly they will hear you want to fondle putlers tits and rear end

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Buffer posted:

AFAIK it wasn't a suicide bomber, they got some contract trucker to move it like any other freight and *boom*

so more of a murder bombing? that doesn't really work since most bombings murder.

This was the most hosed up thing I have seen either side do in this war by a huge huge margin and it still pisses me off just to think about it

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I'm still holding out hope that Ukraine will see their way clear to surrendering at some point in the future (probably by running some sort of coup on the current pro-war faction and getting in new people who can credibly negotiate with Russia) but it's not exactly clear to me how this can happen without the blessing of the US.. so regrettably my opinion is still that most likely this will continue until American weapon manufacturers have made every last dollar of profit they can off this whole affair.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Lol dumb bitch reporting posts

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

speng31b posted:

Lol dumb bitch reporting posts

I have to say I'm very pleased by your shame based modding technique, keep it up

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Zodium posted:

ime if you successfully manage to get western liberals to actually listen to something like "the russian and ukrainian working classes are both being brutalized by their respective ruling classes" they will respond with something along the lines of "yes but that's no fun," but mostly they will hear you want to fondle putlers tits and rear end

How about if the Russians, while right-liberals, are actually the better choice for at least Russian/Russian-speakers and it isn't a "both sides" issue? You can talk about "both working classes being exploited" but in all honesty those people are probably better off with the Russians.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
The Russia-Ukraine war is causing exponentially more posting casualties by the day

Alpha 1
Feb 17, 2012
The Rules-Based International Order strongly opposes unilateral territorial annexations, like those Russia has carried out in Ukraine.
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1681011827185008647

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Zodium posted:

young sheldon but his special interest is racial purity
unsurprisingly, he would still really love trains

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ardennes posted:

How about if the Russians, while right-liberals, are actually the better choice for at least Russian/Russian-speakers and it isn't a "both sides" issue? You can talk about "both working classes being exploited" but in all honesty those people are probably better off with the Russians.

the two sides are ruling and working class.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Danann posted:

WarDonbass posted:

The story of the supply of Moroccan T-72B tanks to the Nazis is shocking.

The Moroccan Foreign Ministry explained that the tanks were sent to the Czech Republic for modernization. However, Prague, without even requesting the consent of the Moroccans, sent the cars to Bandera, without any compensation, having committed, in fact, robbery. The Western Nazis are using the conflict in Ukraine to completely dismantle the global legal field.

@WarDonbass
(from t.me/WarDonbass/95869, via tgsa)

if true, i guess just expect everything you send to the west to be robbed by them at first opportunity lmao

speng31b posted:

https://www.military.africa/2022/12/morocco-choose-sides-supplies-t-72b-tanks-to-ukraine/

it appears that Morocco consented, the US brokered the deal and is paying for everything.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The working class are not a side because they're not organized and have no position or say in what's happening.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Zodium posted:

the two sides are ruling and working class.

It is simply better for the working class there at that time materially to side with the Russians, and I don't think people in the West have any real say in that regard.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 22:50 on Jul 17, 2023

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

i have it on good authority that the czechs stole it, sawed the steering wheel club in half and everything

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ardennes posted:

It is simply better for the working class there at that time materially to side with the Russians, and I don't think a Western has any real say in that regard.

lol, care to tease that out? Because it seems pretty clear to me that the working class in the region's getting hosed either way.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Lostconfused posted:

The working class are not a side because they're not organized and have no position or say in what's happening.

they're the losing side.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Majorian posted:

lol, care to tease that out? Because it seems pretty clear to me that the working class in the region's getting hosed either way.

avoiding the imf is an objective bonus

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Majorian posted:

They are clearly better off with the Russians in a material sense than Russia, not only is Ukraine bankrupt, but Ukraine is also press-ganging men along with everything else (cultural suppression, etc). At least Russia offers some stability.

Zodium posted:

they're the losing side.

Better than to make the best deal possible

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Old and busted: Russia is about to run out of shells

New hotness:

https://twitter.com/BuddyYakov/status/1680625891326693376?t=I4IFUlWeJ51tBUe-6RHVQA&s=19

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ardennes posted:

Better than to make the best deal possible

they're not in a position to make any deals because they're not organized.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ardennes posted:

They are clearly better off with the Russians in a material sense than Russia, not only is Ukraine bankrupt, but Ukraine is also press-ganging men along with everything else (cultural suppression, etc). At least Russia offers some stability.

I'm sorry, but that's a delusional take. If Russia holds onto the Donbas the region's going to suffer a protracted insurgency funded by NATO for decades to come. There isn't going to be any stability for the Donbas anytime soon.

Regarde Aduck posted:

avoiding the imf is an objective bonus

It is, I'll give you that. It seems likely to me, however, that Moscow will be only too happy to pull the copper wiring out of the walls in the region themselves. They're getting economically plundered either way.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Some Guy TT posted:

The Crimean Tatars are the Turkic-speaking native people of Crimea, absorbed by the Mongol Golden Horde in the 13th century.

There was no such thing as a Crimean Tatar in the 13th century.

Nix Panicus posted:

Ukraine supposedly has a bunch of mechanized assets hidden away somewhere still, I guess to exploit any openings the, uh, recon in force opens up. I wonder if we'll see them any time soon?

My hot take is the challengers have been given to nazis to put down any mutiny.

Anyone know anything about Levada? They were put on the foreign agents list in 2016 but they seem to still have a Moscow office.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Weka posted:

Anyone know anything about Levada? They were put on the foreign agents list in 2016 but they seem to still have a Moscow office.

"Anything" meaning their reputability? Because they're pretty well-regarded as a polling firm.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Tweets like that are end stage lib brain.

By the time lend lease really started to pick up, the great battles that turned the war in Russia around were already over. Namely the defence of Moscow and Leningrad, the victory at Stalingrad and then at Kursk in 43. The majority of lend lease goods arrived between 43-45 and it's real impact was that it gave the Soviets the logistical structure to make Operation Bagration such a success in 44.

Besides, Tooze's book "The Wages of Destruction" is brilliant and it deserves a spot right alongside Overy and Glantz.

Hammerstein has issued a correction as of 23:08 on Jul 17, 2023

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Weka posted:

There was no such thing as a Crimean Tatar in the 13th century.

there were kipchaks

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

presumably the ukrainians do maintain an armoured reserve, but this idea that they've only used a couple of their brigades is imo deeply suspect

they've been doing more than a month of offensive action with the NYT estimating 20-30% loss rates from at least some of the participating units - i.e., they've been seriously chewed up and will have had to be pulled off the line to refit. they're still attacking in several sectors. unless all their attacks are limited to sending in the territorial defence units in death marches - which i doubt - they're using their husbanded offensive resources.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

well that reads dire for the wests chances at this war then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

lol yeah the ukrainians really do have a mass mobilisation thing going on - unlike the russians, who are just actually getting their armaments sector to prioritise production over profits