Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Everyone having super body armor kinda became common and now every fight feels like a drag. Movies are fun but the rewatch is kinda tedious because every kill is an elaborate combo and why is this not a video game I can play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

It might be blasphemous to say, but I actually enjoyed the action and close-up combat scenes in Extraction 1&2 on Netflix more than the last couple John Wick movies. The bulletproof suits immediately take me out of the scene when he holds his sleeve over his face.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Frozen Peach posted:

The faker and more ridiculous it is, the more I'm here for it. I don't need realistic blood in my dumb action movies.

i do. no spray no sale.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

JazzFlight posted:

It might be blasphemous to say, but I actually enjoyed the action and close-up combat scenes in Extraction 1&2 on Netflix more than the last couple John Wick movies. The bulletproof suits immediately take me out of the scene when he holds his sleeve over his face.

I said this in the JW thread.
JW1 promotion blurb was 'its so realistic Keanu trained for months on how to use guns, every bullet is accounted for in every scene, every moment fluid minimumistic logical combat thats physically possible and no more.'.
JW3+4: I gots a magic suit time to jump through the 52nd window today pewpewpewpewpewpewpewpew

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I would trade John Wick's anything for more 80s action cinema vibes. For godsakes at least make action films 100 minutes and under again, this poo poo is exhausting.

I just saw the new MI and yeah it’s incredible and pretty fun for the whole runtime but there is absolutely no reason it needs to be almost 3 hours long.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
They should just shoot people, like for real

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

That's why Johnny Knoxville is the only true action star in cinema.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Collapsing Farts posted:

with the writers and actors on strike, nows the time for american copy body cam footage to become the main source of action in films. your wish is granted

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Collapsing Farts posted:

Bill Hicks had a great routine about just that.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Collapsing Farts posted:

Have you seen The Crow?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Jewmanji posted:

Have you seen Rust?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Not yet...

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Jewmanji posted:

Have you seen The Crow?

Chad Stahelski refuses to use any firing guns in his movies because he saw Brandon Lee die when filming The Crow.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The MSJ posted:

Chad Stahelski refuses to use any firing guns in his movies because he saw Brandon Lee die when filming The Crow.

More than that - he was actually Lee's stunt double, so it could have been him.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I honestly don't mind if blood looks realistic or not, as long as the movie is entertaining. Last Crusade, one of the most watchable movies of all time, has some of the fakest looking blood ever.

Did they just draw that poo poo on with a marker? But who cares, that whole scene is amazing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's targeted towards kids so we just think its real.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex3C1-5Dhb8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhKLpJmHhIg

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

The effort to make that look like something from the 70s/80s is impressive and it looks strangely engaging.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Had to stop that halfway through because I felt like they were showing me the whole movie

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The Holdovers looks incredibly self-indulgent but I don't even care I really liked that trailer and I'm ready to watch it and feel sad.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I went to the school that it was filmed at (some of it, at least). Looking forward to being re-traumatized in the theater like a vet watching Saving Private Ryan

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

The Holdovers looks incredibly self-indulgent
Well, yeah, Alexander Payne

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

Was in until 1:06 when the record scratch sound effect kicked in.

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

quote is not edit

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CaptainN posted:

Was in until 1:06 when the record scratch sound effect kicked in.

Yeah that's where I punched out as well. When the emotional manipulation is a little too unsubtle.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
This video goes into why the original Cats musical is alright, and how the movie shits all over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3aK-EK5V2k

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

im pro squibs

bring them back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S58poUaNwiw&t=127s

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

This video goes into why the original Cats musical is alright, and how the movie shits all over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3aK-EK5V2k

not gonna watch the video, but, no

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

not gonna watch the video, but, no

tl;dw: The director takes a simple and easy and frankly not complex musical and fucks up everything from the music to the singing to the choreography.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I love the channel that video is from, but I'm not watching it because I strongly disagree as the film took a very weird and shapeless musical and gave it a minimal sense of structure and the singing and choreography is loving great thank you very much.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

tl;dw: The director takes a simple and easy and frankly not complex musical and fucks up everything from the music to the singing to the choreography.

here's the thing though: he made it better

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

There are dozens of us. Dozens!

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWa3V_n-9iY

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

CelticPredator posted:

I think about it a lot and I always want to quote it but no one would ever get it. :(

I often mention my lucky crackpipe, people don't need to know the reference.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 18, 2023

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Parkingtigers posted:

I love the channel that video is from, but I'm not watching it because I strongly disagree as the film took a very weird and shapeless musical and gave it a minimal sense of structure and the singing and choreography is loving great thank you very much.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it's baaaaad

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

id rather wtach the cats movie than the creepy musical

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

this is a tom hooper joint right? Isn't this his second time doing it, after Les Miserables? Why in the hell did he get a second chance.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Shageletic posted:

this is a tom hooper joint right? Isn't this his second time doing it, after Les Miserables? Why in the hell did he get a second chance.

It makes sense from like, a completely detached and robotic executive point of view. The movie based on a big musical made a lot of money, so if we give him the BIGGEST musical we'll make even MORE money

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Shageletic posted:

lol, i am remembering the splat sound at the death scene now, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

mycot posted:

It makes sense from like, a completely detached and robotic executive point of view. The movie based on a big musical made a lot of money, so if we give him the BIGGEST musical we'll make even MORE money

100% the thought process that took place