Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Dams bad. The environment can obviously support some, but we've gone way overboard and are destroying ancient ecologies that we may never be able to repair. Free Hetch Hetchy. Restore the Tonle Sap.

People in China and Laos may actually need those dams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

someone in the local blog coverage said they saw the driver sitting on the sidewalk covered in blood and when the bystander told the driver he could have killed someone the dude said "I don't give a poo poo." and got back in his car.

If I said this to someone and that was their response, I'd kick them in the loving head.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
There's been a few really horrific crashes in the last few days. I think it was last week - no deaths - but 2 street racers managed to gently caress up the lives of a whole family by someone rear ending the car and it flipped multiple times while at the tacoma portion of i5. The other street racer is still at large and cops are looking for them.

Funny enough, we almost got hit by 2 racers while on the express lanes in the tunnel coming out like 3 weeks ago? I got it on dash cam but I couldn't get a good enough angle to catch the license plate. Scared the poo poo out of me. Wasn't like we were going to slow either. We were at like 70mph and they blew by us at about 90? 95? Another car in front of us almost overcorrected and wobbled a bunch.

Here's the story

https://www.king5.com/article/traff...56-a7fd6d21b5e9

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 20:25 on Jul 17, 2023

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3DDwevob1k

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

actionjackson posted:

my neighbor is convince that EVs will fade away soon as we get hydrogen powered cars

So much power to transport and store so little fuel...

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ardennes posted:

People in China and Laos may actually need those dams.

Overdamming waterways harms people downstream though. So in China's case they're degrading the Mekong delta, and Cambodia is suffering for it.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Dams are definitely a land of contrasts. We're removing a bunch of pretty old dams in washington state because they basically decimated the salmon and eel populations. But you can also build dams with ladders / off cuts and stuff so the fishes can get through and do periodic regular releases to push silt down stream.
Of course the way we built most of them in the US for like 60 years were all environmentally garbage in order to expand the footprint of people in the west as fast as possible.

edit: lol i thought this was the biosphere thread. oh well.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

over the weekend some dude in an Infiniti blasted through the local beach parkway at 90mph and hit another car so hard it went into the Puget Sound and people had to form a human chain to rescue the woman.

someone in the local blog coverage said they saw the driver sitting on the sidewalk covered in blood and when the bystander told the driver he could have killed someone the dude said "I don't give a poo poo." and got back in his car.

then when the fire department showed up, they peeled the roof off his car to extricate him lmfao

I would probably have slapped that dude

Mister Speaker posted:

If I said this to someone and that was their response, I'd kick them in the loving head.

or that

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
wait... the shithead was bleeding on the sidewalk

then got back into the car

that he then had to be cut out of ?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

biking to lunch with my wife, was nice. its fun to ride a bike even when its 99 degrees.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

yeah that's the one Silicone Thrills posted about. here's the story on the one near me:

https://westseattleblog.com/2023/07/2-car-collision-1-in-the-water-off-alki-avenue/

lol this person

quote:

So much for the annoying speed humps making that stretch safer. I wouldn’t be surprised if they contributed to this accident or the lowered car that caught fire recently.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

There's been a few really horrific crashes in the last few days. I think it was last week - no deaths - but 2 street racers managed to gently caress up the lives of a whole family by someone rear ending the car and it flipped multiple times while at the tacoma portion of i5. The other street racer is still at large and cops are looking for them.

Funny enough, we almost got hit by 2 racers while on the express lanes in the tunnel coming out like 3 weeks ago? I got it on dash cam but I couldn't get a good enough angle to catch the license plate. Scared the poo poo out of me. Wasn't like we were going to slow either. We were at like 70mph and they blew by us at about 90? 95? Another car in front of us almost overcorrected and wobbled a bunch.

Here's the story

https://www.king5.com/article/traff...56-a7fd6d21b5e9

Pretty awful weekend down the road in Portland too. We had a street takeover delay emergency vehicles trying to respond to a fatal crash, a pedestrian hit trying to cross I5, and then a drunk driver lose control and take out a bus stop and kill the poor woman just waiting to catch her bus

quote:

“The ambulance was significantly delayed from responding due to an illegal street takeover at North Marine Drive at the I-5 interchange that blocked all traffic,” PPB said. “The ambulance had to divert and go the long way around on North Columbia Boulevard past Kelley Point Park to approach from the west. The two SUV occupants were treated at the scene.”

In recordings of the calls with dispatch from Broadcastify, first responders were quite clear about the delay they were facing.

“There is no way we’re gonna make it to this call-in time. You’re gonna have to send 26’s on this. This is completely shut down, this whole area.. We may not be able to make it out of here,” one first responder told dispatchers.

“Be advised, for access on this call, Marine Drive is completely shut down due to a bunch of street racers,” a dispatcher said. “We are waiting for an update from police, but you’ll most likely have to access this off of Columbia.”

“We’re currently completely blocked by these road racers,” a first responder said. “They’ve got the entire cloverleaf shut down, shooting off fireworks. There’s gotta be 500 to 600 people here, cars parked everywhere. We’re gonna have to send somebody from the other direction probably to get to this call.”

A separate motorcyclist enters

During the crash investigation, a separate motorcyclist sped through the scene, nearly hitting two officers — including the North Precinct Commander, PPB said. An officer attempted to stop the motorcyclist following the incident. However, the rider attempted to elude the pursuing officer.

“For 57 minutes he eluded officers, speeding, running red lights, and riding on sidewalks, through parks, and on the Springwater Trail path in Gresham,” PPB said.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lolling https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_tqQYmgMQg

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

no car will ever enter heaven. no car will ever see god. they are all damned.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

"do you still feel capable of driving?"
"qmhmquite cappable"

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

silicone thrills posted:

edit: lol i thought this was the biosphere thread. oh well.

Biosphere is the least we can sacrifice for sacred car

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I say, I've had quite enough of those churlish inebriated pedestrians impeding the progress of my motor vehicle, and it's high time Her Majesty's government did something about it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

heated game moment posted:

Caring about gas prices is so funny to me. Oh you are going to drive across town to save 10 cents a gallon? Buddy I wouldn't cross the street. I have no idea how much it costs I just fill up once a month or whatever

Like theres whole apps of which the purpose is to find deals on gas but the idea of going out of my way to do so is ludicrous. I have friends that drive so much they save hundreds of dollars a year using some stupid app that makes them drive to a random gas station to fill up. Maybe sell the SUV and get a Prius if you care that much

Yeah my dad would make a huge deal about this too.

10 cents a gallon, it's a big difference! Ok, so on a 13 gallon fill that is $1.30. Fantastic. BUT WAIT IF YOU MULTIPLY IT OUT IT ADDS UP YOURE JUST LAZY. Ok, that's 62 dollars a year, or, one fillup. And that's before considering how much gas you burn going to the good place or waiting in line at the Costco station or whatever. I'll look for the lowest price along my usual route if I can, but most of the time there isn't even a 10 cent difference anyway.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

over the weekend some dude in an Infiniti blasted through the local beach parkway at 90mph and hit another car so hard it went into the Puget Sound and people had to form a human chain to rescue the woman.

then when the fire department showed up, they peeled the roof off his car to extricate him lmfao

Too bad they didn't just leave him in his precious car.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Biked to the far beach with a friend today, great time. The end of the beach near the parking lot was super full, the end where you'd arrive by cycle or walking was hella chill. And on the way back I discovered a separated cycle lane I didn't know before.

10/10, no notes except I got a sunburn or two.

Troutful
May 31, 2011

:chome: :911: :chome:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

"do you still feel capable of driving?"
"qmhmquite cappable"

13000 holy poo poo

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

skooma512 posted:

Too bad they didn't just leave him in his precious car.

I think they did it just to total his car completely. the doors all worked.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

just litter it with broken glass and nails. oh baltimore, uh more glass and nails?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

lobster shirt posted:

going to ride my bike to have lunch today

I rode my bike around the huge traffic jam formed by someone parking their lovely SUV a meter from the curb and blocking a streetcar track.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Anglosphere ftw

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

countries that cycle more also contributed more to the holocaust, concerning

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Peanut President posted:

:catstare:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I think they did it just to total his car completely. the doors all worked.

I was hoping that was the case, because I was confused how he was able to go back inside the car but needed to get cut out .

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

the facts dont lie

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Peanut President posted:

lol

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Peanut President posted:

hitler was also a big fan of trains i hear

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug

HashtagGirlboss posted:

quote:

For 57 minutes he eluded officers, speeding, running red lights, and riding on sidewalks, through parks, and on the Springwater Trail path in Gresham,” PPB said.

this is like a 25 mile ped/bike trail, I did a lot of weekday round trip training rides there when I was a "competitive" cyclist. if I got pasted by a sportbike there I would hope to live long enough for one final lol, lmao

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Ensign Expendable posted:

I rode my bike around the huge traffic jam formed by someone parking their lovely SUV a meter from the curb and blocking a streetcar track.

clearly streetcars should be equipped with a giant cow catcher and/or military mine-clearing apparatus

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

quote:

The woman was not crossing at a crosswalk or at an intersection, police said.

let's just see how she could have done this correctly then

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.939...i8192?entry=ttu

oh ok

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

the only legal thing for a pedestrian to do is sit down on the grass and wait to die of thirst or exposure

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

lol this person

quote:

Also back in the late 1970’s.   Danny Wolff was killed when car drive off next to anchor clothes to wear this happened

voice to text :argh:

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

Fitzy Fitz posted:

oh ok

what a poo poo hole. it's no wonder that anyone who lives in it sees their car as an integral part of themselves, you literally can't exist without one

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Fitzy Fitz posted:

oh ok

lol theres an intersection with a light half a mile up the road but no crosswalk https://www.google.com/maps/@33.940...i8192?entry=ttu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

802.11weed posted:

what a poo poo hole. it's no wonder that anyone who lives in it sees their car as an integral part of themselves, you literally can't exist without one

Love the two huge pickups when you look to the left