Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

SMERSH Mouth posted:

The framing on this one is very satisfying to look at either way… but if you got it on film like that without correcting the scan, congrats

Just very minor cropping and straightening. I've been shooting thousands of shots like that so holding the Hassy properly for those kind of shots is 2nd nature now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Nice sunset out back tonight. Changed a lot every few minutes - sort of looked like a black hole with an accretion disk, then really fiery but I missed most of that action. Gave me some cool lighting for a flower shot as well!

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 12, 2023

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

dog not eating food on the ground in front of it? shopped

actually i really like it, it's weird and interesting and the bush and the bold diagonal line make it visually striking

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Love this one

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Ric posted:

Greenwich

The lot of these are lovely but I adore this one. It's at once warm and cosy because of the brick blocks and orange light, cold because of the rain and wet weather, and sublime because of the scale of the city in the background being obscured by the clouds. These of photos where you feel like you're looking out a window are probably my favourite types of pictures.

I love this one. Great colours, and the empty pool/ex-pool and bare concrete are sick, brutalist summer vibes.

Very interesting framing! makes the subject matter pretty mysterious.

Kind of boring stuff comparatively but I shot some stuff during blue hour around the lake i live next to.
Its pretty placid but there were a couple of people boating about and I think the ripples look interesting. Shot with my soligor 35mm f2.8 on a crop sensor - i usually shoot it at f8 but it was dark so these are all a little fuzzy at 2.8

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

I love finding stuff like this!

Most interesting one of the batch to me with the contrast and sky color - like the star in there, too.

I've only got a week left out in the sticks so I've started traveling to state parks up here to find cool stuff. Visited this old sinkhole but couldn't really get far down into it enough to get the perspective I was thinking of. Then a huge cloud of mega-mosquitoes chased me out of the park like a cartoon.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Wafflecopper posted:

dog not eating food on the ground in front of it? shopped

actually i really like it, it's weird and interesting and the bush and the bold diagonal line make it visually striking

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I love finding stuff like this!

thanks!

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Deep forest is pretty tricky to photograph. I always need time to walk around the scene and figure out the good view but mosquitoes always win.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Your options are to either go early season before the bugs are out or spray nasty chemicals all over your body. Or invest in anti itch salve.

Tough being a tree peeper.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

bobmarleysghost posted:

Deep forest is pretty tricky to photograph. I always need time to walk around the scene and figure out the good view but mosquitoes always win.

I always think the forest works best in black and white. It lets you focus on the form and texture more without the distraction of colour.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jul 16, 2023

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I definitely agree with black and white for this kinda stuff, I'm editing some pics from a national park at the moment and the couple I've decided to keep in colour have been hard work. It's hard to make an image that's like 90 shades of green look nice.

big fan of the colours in this!

field balm fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 15, 2023

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Your options are to either go early season before the bugs are out or spray nasty chemicals all over your body. Or invest in anti itch salve.

Tough being a tree peeper.

I'm going full DEET next time.

I'm pretty excited because the host where I'm staying saw some of my stuff and just gifted me an Epson Stylus Pro printer from a few years ago. Been printing stuff this afternoon and can't believe how good it looks and how lucky I just got, haha. Turns out they were good friends with Jerry Uelsmann, who lived right by here. I've been surrounded by signed stuff that is found in a lot of museums without realizing it. Definitely a cool few weeks for getting more into photography!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Another thing that helps, or at least helps me, is setting my color profile to B&W so that's what I see in the viewfinder. Then process as color at home.

Ignoring color when shooting helps me spot where the light contrast is good or foreground stuff gets lost against the background.

Assuming your camera has a EVF or you like composing in live view.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

ploots posted:

Love this one

field balm posted:

Very interesting framing! makes the subject matter pretty mysterious.
Thank you. The area around the statue was beatiful but pretty busy so I ended up isolating what I found most interesting.
I love the otherwordly feel of this one.

The forest photography discussion the last few posts has been great. The busyness of the forest around where I live has been challenging, and I'm looking forward to my next outing now.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wish I had all of that pretty mossy-looking undergrowth to wander through.

Today I went out to find a new spring (Silver Springs in Ocala) and hit up that DEET - not a single bite...except almost being bit by an angry monkey. Not sure how the hell there were a bunch of monkeys just jumping through the trees in North Florida. This guy came out right in front of me to pick some grapes and then got pissed because I was there. Of course my dumb rear end had to get a shot out of it but that's the closest I've gotten to something like that with a 35mm.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Wish I had all of that pretty mossy-looking undergrowth to wander through.

Today I went out to find a new spring (Silver Springs in Ocala) and hit up that DEET - not a single bite...except almost being bit by an angry monkey. Not sure how the hell there were a bunch of monkeys just jumping through the trees in North Florida. This guy came out right in front of me to pick some grapes and then got pissed because I was there. Of course my dumb rear end had to get a shot out of it but that's the closest I've gotten to something like that with a 35mm.

Silver Springs rules. We go kayaking there and it's wild to look down and see manatees just chilling all around you within arms reach. They like to swim right under you while you cruise too. I would not be on land with the monkeys though, gently caress that.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hey Utah poster, tell me where to go for the eclipse this October. A silhouette of a butte or spires would be epic.

Digging the vibe of that wash with the bushes one.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hmm, quick glance at the map showing the path and I bet Monument Valley would be great. Would definitely benefit from looking into details of sun position in the sky and staking out a spot well in advance.

I'd probably try to find something more remote though, as any of the known spots will be more crowded than usual and if Utah is like the Grand Canyon Oct will be crazy.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Use Stellarium or Google Sky Maps to time lapse the sky for that day. You could watch the sun's path through the sky. Find the exact moment of totality and plug that time into either app and you can see where it will be in the sky. Make a test run to the location and see where it will be in location to landscape objects.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Monument Valley was my first choice and there are definitely some cool angles but all tours are booked (well maybe not all, I didn't call every single company before I gave up) and it's not a place where you can roll up and start going off on your own.

I've spent too many hours in google earth pro trying to find the perfect spot and it's hard work when you don't know the region well.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

Silver Springs rules. We go kayaking there and it's wild to look down and see manatees just chilling all around you within arms reach. They like to swim right under you while you cruise too. I would not be on land with the monkeys though, gently caress that.

Yeah, Crystal River is going to be a destination for me this winter. Apparently more manatees than you can shake a stick at!

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

xzzy posted:

Monument Valley was my first choice and there are definitely some cool angles but all tours are booked (well maybe not all, I didn't call every single company before I gave up) and it's not a place where you can roll up and start going off on your own.

I've spent too many hours in google earth pro trying to find the perfect spot and it's hard work when you don't know the region well.

Muley Point is an amazing spot. You drive down into Valley of the Gods as well.

It was crazy windy when I went so I didn't photograph too long. This'll give you a rough idea of what it was like:

DSC_3237 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

DSC_3229 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

DSC_3171 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

These are just incredible. I get a big part of it is just beautiful places with amazing lighting but you obviously have a great eye for this.

What length lens are you shooting with? Also, out of interest do you you do a lot of editing for this end result? The canyons are especially mindblowing for me, having never seen landscapes like that in real life.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

huhu posted:

Muley Point is an amazing spot. You drive down into Valley of the Gods as well.

Yeah that's a good tip, I'll add it to the list.

The moki dugway is one of the spots I'm considering. If one were to stand on the rim at the top the arch of the cliff opens in the direction of the sun during the eclipse, which I think might work. It'd be a pretty wide angle shot so the sun will be insanely small, but it's an annular eclipse so the dim light falling over the landscape might work really well. Since muley point is just around the corner it'd be easy to scout out both the day before. With a bit of hiking there's also some spots along the rim above valley of the gods that I think I like.

The crazy sculpted grey layers around the factory butte or mt pennell wildlife area interests me too but that gets into Serious Hike and Serious Offroad territory and I'm not convinced that's a smart idea. But dang that grey clay stuff looks amazing and tempting.

My ideal shot is still to do a silhouette of some spires but I'm not sure the shot exists. It'd need to be a fairly long telephoto to get the sun big which means I'd need to be able to get far away and below the spires. I can't find anything in the path that fits that bill.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

field balm posted:

These are just incredible. I get a big part of it is just beautiful places with amazing lighting but you obviously have a great eye for this.

What length lens are you shooting with? Also, out of interest do you you do a lot of editing for this end result? The canyons are especially mindblowing for me, having never seen landscapes like that in real life.

Thanks. Those are all either 35mm or 85mm, I think that's all I took on that trip. For editing, I apply a color profile I made in Davinci Resolve to match either Fuji or Portra films and converted to Lightroom profiles then my curves preset and adjust from there. It's a great 2 step system because modern Lightroom lets you adjust the amount of both profiles and presets so you can dial both up or down as needed. This is a before/after for those profiles on a wedding portrait for example:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

some before/afters of those, as well as a fun discovery that some of them were shot on an old D3200 I forgot about. I took it to do some video clips but shot some stuff on it when I didn't want to change lenses I guess.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nice! Waterfalls always look good.

Just closed on my new place today. Backyard faces east but I actually like the partial glow at sunset on this storm.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Nice! Waterfalls always look good.

Just closed on my new place today. Backyard faces east but I actually like the partial glow at sunset on this storm.

Grats on the new space and lovely clouds, gives me renaissance painting vibes.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Roads

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Interesting looking place for trees to be growing!

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 25, 2023

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
Yes sir got that up-at-dawn-savouring-the-sublimity-of-nature thing going on and what the hell is inside that ribcage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012