Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

The surface is more varied and interesting, but for me the biggest thing is being away from cars. I'd much rather worry about mountain lions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I'm still new to gravel/country/All road/whatever le nom du jour we're on this decade, but what I like is that you can just go to a lot more interesting places on dirt and gravel roads, that you wouldn't otherwise get to see on pavement. They're also passable for light xc trails, and are still good on paved surfaces. They're just such useful all around bikes that let you explore park paths, fire access roads, flatter hiking trails, single tracks, back roads, etc.

Like my wife and I took our bike's out yesterday and started on paved roads, transitioned to a paved bike path, then on to a gravel walking trail, then along a grassed-in access path, down a shortish Blue square downhill MTB trail(slowly), along some river-pebble/dirt tracks, along a forested single track, and back out onto some more bike paths across the river and around some beautiful parks. We do have cross-top interrupter brakes as well as the regular levers which does give us a little more versatility for steering stability and braking downhill. It was a great ride and we barely saw any cars anywhere.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I have a poo poo ton of gravel in my backyard but its mostly no-trespassing logging roads :-/

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Shadowhand00 posted:

I think you ate the right amount! The recommended dosages for carbs nowadays is 60g/hour and if you can hit it, 80-100g. With the Maurten 320, you were likely easily hitting that number.

I am just glad I don’t require that much fluid.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

actionjackson posted:

that's why I just do one route right now, as I can start it from my place without having to drive my bike somewhere by car first

is the appeal of gravel related to the surface at all, or just that it gets you away from cars?

I am with foutre. Gravel is a lot more engaging than road when you can pick lines through obstacles. It is something that harkens back to my days at the skate park, except my knees are much more grateful.

The fact that you are normally surrounded by trees and sheltered from cars is just a massive dopamine multiplier for me.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

TobinHatesYou posted:

I am just glad I don’t require that much fluid.

I'm not sure I do either. I've been wanting to try 500ml an hour instead of 750, but I figured this wasn't the ride to experiment

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
There was a goon in here that used Trainerroad and I recently made the switch to it from zwift and I can't figure out how to work outside rides into the mix. Do you just do outside rides on the off days? Or can you actually work them into the workout schedule.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Yeah, just add outside rides in if that's what you want. I'm pretty sure that's why TR used to recommend low volume plans since you could do that and hit important workouts without overdoing it

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Serendipitaet posted:

Just wanted to report back that this seems to have fixed my issues, very happy not having to replace the entire thing. I used this listing for other folks in EU land.

Does anybody know where I can get a replacement battery cover for a Wahoo ticker? I managed to break one of the tabs off and it's now held on with duct tape?

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

A classic gas station combo: an energy drink and a lovely "croissant".

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

mikemelbrooks posted:

Does anybody know where I can get a replacement battery cover for a Wahoo ticker? I managed to break one of the tabs off and it's now held on with duct tape?

There's a bunch of 3d printable models available if you have access to a printer. If not you can probably find a site that will a copy of one for 5-10 bucks

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Hutzpah posted:

There was a goon in here that used Trainerroad and I recently made the switch to it from zwift and I can't figure out how to work outside rides into the mix. Do you just do outside rides on the off days? Or can you actually work them into the workout schedule.

rngd in the womb posted:

Yeah, just add outside rides in if that's what you want. I'm pretty sure that's why TR used to recommend low volume plans since you could do that and hit important workouts without overdoing it

I use TR almost every day. I'm still trying to figure out how to work outdoor rides in since I started on a medium volume plan late last year to prepare for a big event this Saturday :toot:. Ideally, you'd use a low volume plan and add in the longer outdoor rides. Theoretically TR should adapt to the outdoor rides that you import from Garmin/etc, but I've found that long outdoor rides still give a lot of TSS and I had moments where I felt like I was overtrained and failed tough workouts the following week.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I wanted some ergonomic grips for my Escape, which I'm slowly outfitting as a commuter bike with maybe some overnight bikepacking capabilities. The stock grips are murderously hard on the hands: they have a molded pattern that doesn't cushion very much, they make my fingers go numb, and they leave the grip pattern imprinted on my palms.

I was going to go with Ergon GS1 Evo like I did on the single speed, but the size/ color I wanted was out of stock everywhere. So, I Amazoned up some BW USA Ergo-Lock 2.0's for seventeen bucks. If they're crap, I'm only out a little money.

They felt OK on a test ride around the block, but the rain started, so I had to cut the test ride short. Even if they're not as good as the Ergons, they're much better than the stock ones.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Angryhead posted:

A classic gas station combo: an energy drink and a lovely "croissant".
Not as lovely as your fender lines LMBO

Nice work.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

Residency Evil posted:

I use TR almost every day. I'm still trying to figure out how to work outdoor rides in since I started on a medium volume plan late last year to prepare for a big event this Saturday :toot:. Ideally, you'd use a low volume plan and add in the longer outdoor rides. Theoretically TR should adapt to the outdoor rides that you import from Garmin/etc, but I've found that long outdoor rides still give a lot of TSS and I had moments where I felt like I was overtrained and failed tough workouts the following week.

Were you doing intervals or just riding hard outside?

It depends where you are in your training but I have found that it's best to keep outside rides zone 2 chill in general, unless you're in the base period and you suddenly find yourself with more time on your hands so you can do more miles.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
Started back up on the bicycle a few weeks ago and man I’ve missed the whole experience. It’s also nice setting PRs on old commonly-visited segments. The only thing holding me back is saddle soreness, which is frustrating to pinpoint the cause (so many variables). All of my body wants to be on the bicycle except for my groin-inner thigh meeting point.

Anyone hauling sunscreen for arms/legs/face around on rides? I brought a thick 5 oz container of blue lizard on a 50 mi ride and it ended up being a life safer, I need to get some lighter transport container for the stuff next time

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
As a MC1R mutant (redhead), bringing sunscreen along is non-negotiable. I buy whatever water resistant sunscreen I can find off this list that rates a 3 or below(lower is better) https://www.ewg.org/sunscreen/best-sunscreens/best-beach-sport-sunscreens/ , and re-apply every 60-90 minutes. I also bring along a small face towel cut in half to get damp and wipe the sunscreen slick off my hands afterwards.

Sounds like you may need to adjust your saddle's tilt, or perhaps set it back a bit, or get a saddle with a narrower horn or an anatomical relief cutaway or both, or you may need to adjust your pedal q-factor outwards. I also find that slick tight fitting sports boxer-briefs makes a huge difference. I'm pretty :btroll: so I'm probably going to get some padded bicycle shorts and a better saddle to improve the comfort on my bike.

On the topic, are there any cheap chamois creams out there you goons can recommend?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Mederlock posted:

On the topic, are there any cheap chamois creams out there you goons can recommend?

I use Chamois Butt'r when I use anything. I don't know if it's cheap compared to anything else, butt it does the job.

Thom ZombieForm posted:

Anyone hauling sunscreen for arms/legs/face around on rides? I brought a thick 5 oz container of blue lizard on a 50 mi ride and it ended up being a life safer, I need to get some lighter transport container for the stuff next time

I'm a brunet who burns easily. I bring sunblock to any outdoor activity. For cycling, I currently use spray-on sunblock because it doesn't turn to thin glop when it gets warm. It's also easier to apply when out and about and doesn't leave a ton of grease on my hands. And because I'm quite hirsute, rubbing lotion into my arms and legs takes forever.

I apply it to my ears, nose, and cheeks; but I don't go higher than that because that part of my face is in my helmet's shade, and forehead sunblock finds its way to your peepers. (If I'll have my helmet off for a while, I'll go ahead and apply it.)

No matter what type of sunblock I use, I wipe my hands with one of the bandanas I keep handy. I have another for stopping sweat off my face when I stop. I also carry wet wipes.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Mederlock posted:

If you haven't already get a can of Assos and nobody tell him why, let him find out on his own.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Coxswain Balls posted:

If you haven't already get a can of Assos and nobody tell him why, let him find out on his own.

This is my jam. The can goes a long way too.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
This week was the first week I've done the regular gym routine (3 days strength training, 1-2 days cardio) in a while. Vacation days, recovery days, and errands and other adult crap I had to do have kept me from getting a full week of strength training in. That isn't much of an accomplishment; it's more of a return-to-form for what's been a weird past month.

But, what I'm slightly proud of is the fact that every day this week, I've ridden my bike to the gym. It's not any great length--about 6 miles round-trip. And the trip there is mostly downhill, although there is one annoying climb a couple minutes from my house. It's mostly a long climb on the way back, though, which tracks given the fact that the ride down to the gym is literally a ride down to the gym. I'm using the Escape instead of the Contend because the Escape has a rack and a trunk for some of my gym clothes, U-lock, and such.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Coxswain Balls posted:

Maybe I’m not using enough of it, but I find a can of assos lasts so long as to make the cost irrelevant.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
What’s a “can” of assos. I see what I’d consider a “plastic tub”. Cannot ship to US from the assos website tho

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Thom ZombieForm posted:

WATERY ESSENCE

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Thom ZombieForm posted:

What’s a “can” of assos. I see what I’d consider a “plastic tub”. Cannot ship to US from the assos website tho

Yeah it's just the plastic tub.

https://www.amazon.com/assos-Assos-...ps%2C125&sr=8-2

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

rngd in the womb posted:

Were you doing intervals or just riding hard outside?

It depends where you are in your training but I have found that it's best to keep outside rides zone 2 chill in general, unless you're in the base period and you suddenly find yourself with more time on your hands so you can do more miles.

Not doing intervals, but doing long-ish, 50-80 mile rides with a decent bit (3k-7k) of climbing. It wasn't a hammerfest, but it definitely wasn't Z1/Z2 the entire time either. I typically did them on Thursday, kept on training through the weekend, and often didn't have it in me for my regular V02 max work early in the week.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I've basically quit riding road because cars are The Worst. Riding gravel/mountain biking and not worrying about murder tanks behind you is so freeing and makes riding bikes feel good again

This, I did a couple of road trips and then decided I need to dust off my old MTB..

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I was going to put together my wife's Canyon today before her birthday next week.

Too bad they sent the wrong size and are out of stock of the correct size for the foreseeable future.

:suicide:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Residency Evil posted:

I was going to put together my wife's Canyon today before her birthday next week.

Too bad they sent the wrong size and are out of stock of the correct size for the foreseeable future.

:suicide:
Ouch. Heard of a few of those when I mentioned ordering one on reddit. What size did they send?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

ilkhan posted:

Ouch. Heard of a few of those when I mentioned ordering one on reddit. What size did they send?

XS. Wife needs a 2XS.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
Can you find a smaller wife?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Hutzpah posted:

Can you find a smaller wife?

No I've had this one for a few years and replacing her would be insanely expensive.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Yeah but think of the improvements in geometry since then.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Don't be weird, thread

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

looking for a stiffer, more aerodynamic spouse. any ideas??

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

having some difficulty converting my spouse to tubeless

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
:yikes:

rngd in the womb posted:

Don't be weird, thread

:emptyquote:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

This is a comedy forum after all.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
When you get to most 2xs frames, don’t you have to also move to 650b? A rider in my weekend club has a custom Titanium frame and I swear up and down the tires a smaller than 700c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I wouldn't say you have to but it would definitely help with toe overlap