Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

SamuraiFoochs posted:

A butt load of filler is what happened. Who needs Henare, Mikey, Shane, frankly either of the GoD, EVIL, Generic New BC Guys 5-7, etc?

Not me, personally.

Alex, gabe and Henare (and evil but there is zero percent chance he would be cut) are dojo products. If there is no pathway into the g1 for dojo products because a bunch of 40 year olds are holding spots then what's the point.

I'd get rid of ishii well before I'd dump Gabe Kidd. Njpw is in transition and they just lost a dojo product to the wwe because he couldn't get in the g1.

The roster has been given a nice injection of youth. They need to support that youth with things like g1 spots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Yeah i'd cut Yano, Chase or Ishii before I'd lose any of those listed, aside from EVIL. At this point Hikuleo is 32 so at this point I'm willing to cede that he just doesn't have it in him and Tanga is clearly not back in ring shape yet (which is a shame because his 2021 G1 was real solid) but there's no chance they'll cut Tama

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Thauros posted:

July 18th
G1 Climax A Block Match:Ren Narita [1] vs. Yota Tsuji [0]
G1 Climax B Block Match:Kazuchika Okada [2] vs. El Phantasmo [0]

July 19th
G1 Climax D Block Match:Toru Yano [0] vs. Zack Sabre Jr. [2]

:getin:

Thauros posted:

G1 Climax C Block Match:Eddie Kingston [2] vs. EVIL [2]
G1 Climax C Block Match:Shingo Takagi [2] vs. Aaron Henare [2]

:ohdear:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Thauros posted:

G1 Climax D Block Match:Toru Yano [0] vs. Zack Sabre Jr. [2]
G1 Climax C Block Match:Mikey Nicholls [2] vs. David Finlay [2]
G1 Climax D Block Match:Jeff Cobb [2] vs. Alex Couglin [0]
G1 Climax C Block Match:Eddie Kingston [2] vs. EVIL [2]
G1 Climax D Block Match:Hirohi Tanahashi [0] vs. Shane Haste [2]
G1 Climax C Block Match:Shingo Takagi [2] vs. Aaron Henare [2]
G1 Climax D Block Match:Hirooki Goto [2] vs. Tetsuya Naito [0]

Just an fyi, you appear to be missing Ishii vs Tama; it's also listed for 7/29 on your chart, which is an off day.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

SG Bamboo posted:

Yeah i'd cut Yano, Chase or Ishii before I'd lose any of those listed, aside from EVIL. At this point Hikuleo is 32 so at this point I'm willing to cede that he just doesn't have it in him and Tanga is clearly not back in ring shape yet (which is a shame because his 2021 G1 was real solid) but there's no chance they'll cut Tama

If I was doing my ideal g1 I'd cut yano and chase pretty much first. I got bad yano fatigue during the pandemic.

Njpw much like the rest of wrestling is seeing guys stay in good wrestling shape into their 40s. Kenta and tanahashi are pretty broken down. Yoshi hashi is doing the best stuff in his career. Goto is still outputting at a high level. I thought ishii was in a downturn last year but he's been really good this year.

So njpw have guys who are proven upper midcarders or in the case of tanahashi still one of the most popular wrestlers in the country but also a desperate need for youth in the upper midcard and mainevent.

I could probably get it to 24 so 2 blocks of 12 but I'd have to cut older guys I really like. I just did viable iwgp champions (okada, sanada, naito, ospreay and shingo) and young dojo products (tsuji, ren, shota, Alex and gabe) and that's 10 wrestlers already.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

TriffTshngo posted:

Just an fyi, you appear to be missing Ishii vs Tama; it's also listed for 7/29 on your chart, which is an off day.

the chart was a simple typo, fixed which will be seen in the next upload. it's late here and i think my mind just automatically assumed naito vs goto was the main and didn't scroll down will fix that post now

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
a list of the matches that are worth watching so far. i already have a few im gonna watch for sure but i dont want to miss anything epic

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Fucker posted:

a list of the matches that are worth watching so far. i already have a few im gonna watch for sure but i dont want to miss anything epic

Everything from Narita / Umino onwards on the first night, but especially Kiyomiya / Tsuji and Ospreay / Taichi

Eddie / Shingo, ZSJ / Tana, and Cobb / Naito from the second night. Plus Henare / Mikey if you want to see the least wise move of the tour so far.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Lamuella posted:

Everything from Narita / Umino onwards on the first night, but especially Kiyomiya / Tsuji and Ospreay / Taichi

Eddie / Shingo, ZSJ / Tana, and Cobb / Naito from the second night. Plus Henare / Mikey if you want to see the least wise move of the tour so far.

thank you :cheers:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Finlay/Ishii was also good.

Honestly? Hot take from me is that I think the ratio of good/great per show is the same as always. If you did what a lot of people always did and only watch one block at a time (replicating the 'skip the prelims' tactic) you get 2-3 matches worth watching per block.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
tsuji ftw. grinning madman. and kaito gets to not eat poo poo when im watching him for once
ospreay is such a clown
had the genius idea of watching gabriel kidd vs chase owens cause i was curious about kidd. i must once again remember to Avoid All Chase Owen Matches

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Finlay/Ishii was also good.

watched that as well cause the first one was good. it was p deece but not as good

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

I thought Mad Mikey vs Henare was compelling. Neither guy was on the same page and they covered for it by beating the dogshit out of each other.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

It's a shame that Henare's new "look" (for lack of a better term, seeing as it's much deeper than a wrestling gimmick or personal preference) was debuted in a loss against the blandest guy in the G1 who isn't also a sex creep

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016
Yeah that match was quite awkward, to be fair Nicholls was clearly putting some effort into making it a crazy hard-hitting affair when I expected something much milder from him. But yeah the two never really gelled and I don't think Henare should be losing to Nicholls after that awesome special rules match he had against Shingo earlier this year

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

this kid is nuts posted:

Yeah that match was quite awkward, to be fair Nicholls was clearly putting some effort into making it a crazy hard-hitting affair when I expected something much milder from him. But yeah the two never really gelled and I don't think Henare should be losing to Nicholls after that awesome special rules match he had against Shingo earlier this year

I get the feeling they called an audible after that botch and that Henare was probably supposed to win, originally.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
henare is very low on the totem pole for dojo talent and that move is Mikey's singles finisher so idk, I bet Henare was always supposed to lose and thats Mikey's one G1 win

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Power Windows posted:

It's a shame that Henare's new "look" (for lack of a better term, seeing as it's much deeper than a wrestling gimmick or personal preference) was debuted in a loss against the blandest guy in the G1 who isn't also a sex creep

Yeah I wouldn't have minded if this had been four shows deep but as the opener the booking sucked for Henare. And that's saying nothing of the horrific bump!

Hopefully he can take it easy in his next match against..oh.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I do not think very much of this year's G1 song. "I was born in the ring" just makes me think about the poor Young Boys having to clean up after that

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

They should just use Max The Max every year.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
https://twitter.com/kagiriarumori/status/1680944705440452611?s=46&t=_akPFYiqAqKbxYd3RPf4Jg

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Thought they were going to just write-off Chase Owens with a worked injury during the start of the Kidd match but instead Owens wins? Putting Chase in the G1 for one match then get crushed would have put over the new BC big but LOL

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Well, that KENTA match wasn't great. GoD should go to AEW

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

Well, that KENTA match wasn't great. GoD should go to AEW

We don’t want them. They can go to the fed

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

We don’t want them. They can go to the fed

Sorry, GoD don't deserve that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

forkboy84 posted:

Thought they were going to just write-off Chase Owens with a worked injury during the start of the Kidd match but instead Owens wins? Putting Chase in the G1 for one match then get crushed would have put over the new BC big but LOL

I couldn't believe they found a way to make a Chase Owens match interesting and then managed to "fix" that and have Chase not only survive but win the loving match :cripes:

Edit: Oh God if they have him beat Kiyomiya tonight :shepicide:

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Kaito needs a couple of Boys to complete his Dalton Castle getup

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kiyomiya should have beaten this chump in a 30 second squash :mad:

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Kevin is verging on bad when he's commentating by himself. I beg of njpw to start flying someone else out if Chris can't do every show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Kevin is verging on bad when he's commentating by himself. I beg of njpw to start flying someone else out if Chris can't do every show.

Normally they get one of the wrestlers to pop in 2-3 matches in, to varying results. Sometimes they're really good, sometimes they're Chase Owens.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Justice.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Burn Down Canberra posted:

I beg New Japan to pay Chris enough to go full-time

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tsuji really has that aura.

Also have to say I love Kaito's theme song because it's pure throwback: it has the vibe of hearing the entire crowd chanting MI SA WA as Spartan X begins, or the opening breakdown of Grand Sword meaning you know Kobashi is coming to do town.

Hate that he does the Shining Wizard now, bring back the bridging Tiger Supex, that rocked

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jul 18, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm not blaming the crowd because neither match has set the world on fire for sure, but I really dislike these brightly lit cavernous venues they sometimes use, it always seems to take away something from the match.

And this match needs all the help it can get!

closet statist
Mar 9, 2010

I hardly turn on the english commentary anymore, kevin annoys me so much. Chris rules though.

Starting the show late, is it worth rewinding for Kaito?

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

closet statist posted:

I hardly turn on the english commentary anymore, kevin annoys me so much. Chris rules though.

Not really, match was fine but completely forgettable

e: booooooooooooooo

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

When I was talking about people I'd hypothetically cut chase and kenta would be pretty high on the list so not the best start

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Njpw need to make gabe go out first

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

closet statist posted:

No, he was wrestling Chase Owens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Man who got done posted:

"What are ya gonna do?"

Edit: OWWWW gently caress CHRIST NOT AGAIN