Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Zodium posted:

they're not in a position to make any deals because they're not organized.

So basically they lack agency until they are properly organized?

Majorian posted:

I'm sorry, but that's a delusional take. If Russia holds onto the Donbas the region's going to suffer a protracted insurgency funded by NATO for decades to come. There isn't going to be any stability for the Donbas anytime soon.

I agree unless the Ukrainian army is defeated, and that is why it is the best thing for people in the region so that government doesn't keep on using cluster shells on them.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 23:29 on Jul 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ardennes posted:

So basically they lack agency until they are properly organized?

yep

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

the west was the ussr’s waterboy: a good post 👍

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i don't think there's juice in the donbas for a protracted insurgency. the chechnya playbook of combining intense repression with serious funding for reconstruction and alliances with local grandees should work there

the big issue is if the russians try for something more ambitious in the face of a failing ukrainian military effort, like trying to annex odesa or something

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ardennes posted:

I agree unless the Ukrainian army is defeat and that is why it is the best thing for people in the region so that government doesn't keep on using cluster shells on them.

The level of defeat needed to preclude any possibility of NATO using that army's remnant to gently caress with the region seems extremely unlikely to me.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

bedpan posted:

not quite sure when NATO is going to formally tire of supporting Ukraine but having watched the NATO summit, I think things are going to change sometime after the first of the year 2024

I'm not yet convinced that the US (I realize NATO as an alliance is arming Ukraine, but let's be real - the US is the only country whose opinion matters wrt to NATO) is ready to give this up. Don't get me wrong, we have seen some evidence that factions in the foreign policy establishment are looking for an exit - the recent RAND reports are a major reflection of this. But there's a couple considerations:

1. This isn't really costing the US that much, beyond destroying their ammo reserves which they weren't planning on using anyway (since their doctrine is all about air power)*. The US economy is almost completely unaffected. Sure, the EU is skewering their economy for this, but from the US perspective that's a feature, not a bug.

2. They'll never admit it, but the Biden admin is no doubt taking the 2024 election into consideration. Biden became a pariah during the Afghanistan withdrawal with the immediate (and predictable, unless you had your head in the clouds) collapse of the US puppet state. That collapse is still on their minds, and they will not want a repeat during an election year. Or worse, right in the middle of campaign season.

So any exit will happen after 2025. What would it look like? Well, the US is not going to negotiate with Russia. First, because they would consider than an abject humiliation after going all-in (rhetorically, at least) for the past year and a half. And second, because not negotiating ensures that even if Russia eventually achieves its war goals, the process of achieving them will be as painful as possible (since they'll have to fight for them instead of receiving concessions).

I think the sudden, announced withdrawal is also unlikely, even after the election. If we assume Biden wins, I think what you'll get instead is the slow wind down - the Nixon in Vietnam strategy. Where you keep going long after a victory is realistic, not to win but to position your proxy in such a way that they don't immediately collapse once you finally pull the plug. Then, ideally there is enough time between the end of support and the collapse of the proxy that you can wash your hands clean of it. In this case, since the US doesn't officially have boots on the ground (in reality, they've got some special forces and officers deployed), the wind down can happen over the course of years. It can be gradual enough that the start of it isn't even noticeable until years afterward. For all we know it might've already happened. Maybe it'll start in 2024 like you alleged. Maybe not until 2025.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

It seems a viewpoint that it is implicitly hostile to the immediate interests of the working class.

V. Illych L. posted:

i don't think there's juice in the donbas for a protracted insurgency. the chechnya playbook of combining intense repression with serious funding for reconstruction and alliances with local grandees should work there

the big issue is if the russians try for something more ambitious in the face of a failing ukrainian military effort, like trying to annex odesa or something

I am unsure the Russians need a lot of repression to hold on to the Donbass all things considered.

Majorian posted:

The level of defeat needed to preclude any possibility of NATO using that army's remnant to gently caress with the region seems extremely unlikely to me.

Maybe to you, but in all honesty, it seems like the West is starting to walk away from the situation while the Russians are building up.

----

Also, I just don't think Kiev has it in them to stay in the game until late 2024/2025 the way things have been going lately especially their manpower bleed.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 23:28 on Jul 17, 2023

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Ardennes posted:

I agree unless the Ukrainian army is defeat and that is why it is the best thing for people in the region so that government doesn't keep on using cluster shells on them.

An outcry happens every time a new class of weapons is sent to Ukraine: anti-tank weapons, tanks, long range rockets, artillery, aircraft, etc. There’s always a reason not to send weapons – those weapons kill people in any case. Ukrainians have lead the way in confidently pushing back against the criticism, in my view, have been right every time. Unfortunately, the back-and-forth has slowed Ukraine in getting the help they need. That is extremely unfortunate.

From the outside, it’s easy to be choosy. If there existed a wunderwaffe that made Russian soldiers happily dance back home, overthrow their dictator and discover democracy all without a single shot fired, yay let’s send it! Unfortunately, that wunderwaffe does not exist.

Let Ukrainian soldiers be the ones to have a choice how they defend their country. They have mothers, fathers, children, siblings. They’re fighting inch by inch in the trenches against something infinitely more dangerous than an unexploded munition in a field — they’re fighting against invaders actively trying to kill them. If cluster bombs make their mission safer or more successful, they should have them. If it means they can win the war faster and come back home to their families, send those weapons now. If it means they’ll need to clear more munitions from their land during and after the war — let them make that choice.

Nobody in Ukraine is ignorant about the dangers of having to clear out bombs in their country. Nobody in the west understands the problem better than they do. They’re living with that fact every. single. day. They get it — we’re not helping by lecturing them on what’s good for their children.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Starsfan posted:

I'm still holding out hope that Ukraine will see their way clear to surrendering at some point in the future (probably by running some sort of coup on the current pro-war faction and getting in new people who can credibly negotiate with Russia) but it's not exactly clear to me how this can happen without the blessing of the US.. so regrettably my opinion is still that most likely this will continue until American weapon manufacturers have made every last dollar of profit they can off this whole affair.

Even if Zelensky wanted to surrender, and I haven't seen any evidence that he does, any territorial concession results in an immediate coup by fascist military/paramilitary forces that gets the implicit blessing of the US (and maybe a token, meaningless condemnation).

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ardennes posted:

It seems a viewpoint that it is implicitly hostile to the immediate interests of the working class.

how so

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

VoicesCanBe posted:

I'm not yet convinced that the US (I realize NATO as an alliance is arming Ukraine, but let's be real - the US is the only country whose opinion matters wrt to NATO) is ready to give this up. Don't get me wrong, we have seen some evidence that factions in the foreign policy establishment are looking for an exit - the recent RAND reports are a major reflection of this. But there's a couple considerations:

1. This isn't really costing the US that much, beyond destroying their ammo reserves which they weren't planning on using anyway (since their doctrine is all about air power)*. The US economy is almost completely unaffected. Sure, the EU is skewering their economy for this, but from the US perspective that's a feature, not a bug.

2. They'll never admit it, but the Biden admin is no doubt taking the 2024 election into consideration. Biden became a pariah during the Afghanistan withdrawal with the immediate (and predictable, unless you had your head in the clouds) collapse of the US puppet state. That collapse is still on their minds, and they will not want a repeat during an election year. Or worse, right in the middle of campaign season.

So any exit will happen after 2025. What would it look like? Well, the US is not going to negotiate with Russia. First, because they would consider than an abject humiliation after going all-in (rhetorically, at least) for the past year and a half. And second, because not negotiating ensures that even if Russia eventually achieves its war goals, the process of achieving them will be as painful as possible (since they'll have to fight for them instead of receiving concessions).

I think the sudden, announced withdrawal is also unlikely, even after the election. If we assume Biden wins, I think what you'll get instead is the slow wind down - the Nixon in Vietnam strategy. Where you keep going long after a victory is realistic, not to win but to position your proxy in such a way that they don't immediately collapse once you finally pull the plug. Then, ideally there is enough time between the end of support and the collapse of the proxy that you can wash your hands clean of it. In this case, since the US doesn't officially have boots on the ground (in reality, they've got some special forces and officers deployed), the wind down can happen over the course of years. It can be gradual enough that the start of it isn't even noticeable until years afterward. For all we know it might've already happened. Maybe it'll start in 2024 like you alleged. Maybe not until 2025.

i tend to agree with a fair bit of this analysis, but there is a limit to how much stuff NATO really has to send. i know for a fact that the present ukrainian army is using a fair amount of materiel taken from active military units (e.g. the norwegian leo2A4s or the danish artillery) at the direct expense of those countries' military preparedness. if the present trajectory stays, at a certain point we're going to have to qualitatively escalate to keep the ukrainians in the fight. in practice this means the americans taking on more of the load directly, which again means the americans bearing a larger cost - meaning that they cannot meaningfully move to contain china. if ukraine should collapse before the americans have made convincing noises that they're on their own it's even more embarassing than abandoning them.

this whole situation really quite dangerous. powerful actors have strong incentives to go quite far to avoid the appearance of defeat. that could spiral out of control.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Zodium posted:

they're not in a position to make any deals because they're not organized.

yeah, I mean, if there was an organized proletariat the CPU/CPR would at least be able to make that war a much more complicated affair to happen, since iirc both parties* were in agreement of what a shitshow this is

* (though I have no idea how the informal organization of the party works in Ukraine since they got banned etc)

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Officer Sandvich posted:

An outcry happens every time a new class of weapons is sent to Ukraine: anti-tank weapons, tanks, long range rockets, artillery, aircraft, etc. There’s always a reason not to send weapons – those weapons kill people in any case. Ukrainians have lead the way in confidently pushing back against the criticism, in my view, have been right every time. Unfortunately, the back-and-forth has slowed Ukraine in getting the help they need. That is extremely unfortunate.

From the outside, it’s easy to be choosy. If there existed a wunderwaffe that made Russian soldiers happily dance back home, overthrow their dictator and discover democracy all without a single shot fired, yay let’s send it! Unfortunately, that wunderwaffe does not exist.

Let Ukrainian soldiers be the ones to have a choice how they defend their country. They have mothers, fathers, children, siblings. They’re fighting inch by inch in the trenches against something infinitely more dangerous than an unexploded munition in a field — they’re fighting against invaders actively trying to kill them. If cluster bombs make their mission safer or more successful, they should have them. If it means they can win the war faster and come back home to their families, send those weapons now. If it means they’ll need to clear more munitions from their land during and after the war — let them make that choice.

Nobody in Ukraine is ignorant about the dangers of having to clear out bombs in their country. Nobody in the west understands the problem better than they do. They’re living with that fact every. single. day. They get it — we’re not helping by lecturing them on what’s good for their children.

the cluster bomb ban was a good thing and eroding the taboo against cluster bomb exports is very bad

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Because all the workers uniting is never going to happen, so the interests of the working class will forever be subordinate to the powerful of the ruling elite (still anyway), the West. Better for the workers to make their own decisions as best as possible, and that very well may be siding with Beijing or Moscow.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ardennes posted:

It is simply better for the working class there at that time materially to side with the Russians, and I don't think people in the West have any real say in that regard.

Nah. loving off is an option.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

I suppose NATO could just ferry in dissidents if there aren't enough home grown. It's what they've been accusing Russia of doing for nine years now.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
we haven't really seen a lot of insurgent style activity have we? you'd think if they could do it they'd be doing it but I am not a big war knower.

what changes to make stoking an insurgency easier after a loss in the field?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The slowdown in getting Ukraine weapons is not a moral debate by governments that support psychopaths and fascists all across the world.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

genericnick posted:

Nah. loving off is an option.

For the Russian speaking people in those areas isn't, and honestly it isn't an options for Russians in Russia either since the West will keep on pushing.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nix Panicus posted:

I suppose NATO could just ferry in dissidents if there aren't enough home grown. It's what they've been accusing Russia of doing for nine years now.

Exactly. It's not like the U.S. doesn't have a long history of doing this.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Russia shouldn't be allowed to have spheres of anything, Montana has a higher GDP

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Nonsense posted:

Russia shouldn't be allowed to have spheres of anything, Montana has a higher GDP

gdp can't melt steel beams

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Buffer posted:

we haven't really seen a lot of insurgent style activity have we? you'd think if they could do it they'd be doing it but I am not a big war knower.

well right now if you wanted to use violence against the others you can join the appropriate military. After the war when there are a bunch of bored, angry, trained soldiers with equipment still lying around that’s when the insurgency comes in.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ardennes posted:

Because all the workers uniting is never going to happen, so the interests of the working class will forever be subordinate to the powerful of the ruling elite (still anyway), the West. Better for the workers to make their own decisions as best as possible, and that very well may be siding with Beijing or Moscow.

:pwn:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Buffer posted:

Yeah, for a genocidal war the 'occupied' regions have been pretty quiet, which is why Ukraine is frothing at the mouth over starting inquisitions to root out collaborators.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Nonsense posted:

What can Russia hope to achieve against the raw financial might of wash trading lovely ape jpeg nfts?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Officer Sandvich posted:

Just a reminder, this man will apparently be crewing a Challenger 2 in the WW III he is tacitly supporting. 🎲🎲

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Buffer posted:

It's less about it being easier and more that it simply looks better for a president like Biden if he can help an allied country win their war militarily.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Majorian posted:

I'm sorry, but that's a delusional take. If Russia holds onto the Donbas the region's going to suffer a protracted insurgency funded by NATO for decades to come. There isn't going to be any stability for the Donbas anytime soon.

It is, I'll give you that. It seems likely to me, however, that Moscow will be only too happy to pull the copper wiring out of the walls in the region themselves. They're getting economically plundered either way.

This is highly motivated reasoning, where you need to reach a conclusion that doesn't involve anything vaguely resembling "support/preference for the bad guys," and then reverse-engineer the reasons why that must be the case.

I don't think it is very difficult to conclude that "being a part of Russia, possibly with some right-wing terrorism*" is still preferable to "being a part of Ukraine, who continues to feed thousands of conscripts into the meat grinder and will unquestionably do heavy ethnic cleansing in any reclaimed territories, plus selling its entire country's assets/economy to the highest bidder." It is extremely difficult for me to imagine a similarly bad outcome, short of the US/Europe literally going to war with Russia in response.

* Though I actually have strong doubts about how much of this they'll be able to pull off. Nothing stopped them from doing it in other Russian Federation states. I don't think the US is as adept at facilitating this sort of thing as it used to be.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

CongoJack posted:

well right now if you wanted to use violence against the others you can join the appropriate military. After the war when there are a bunch of bored, angry, trained soldiers with equipment still lying around that’s when the insurgency comes in.

Its not going to be a US style occupation where the target is a puppet government and its hard to retaliate against the people sending the insurgents. Russia will retaliate against ukraine every time some guy blows up a truck or something and it'll be proportionally worse for ukraine every time it happens.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Buffer posted:

there's been a fair few assassinations and a bit of sabotage, but not an incredible amount. if active fighting died down i doubt an insurgency would be sustainable, even with considerable foreign support. you do still need a mass base of people who are willing to suffer the consequences of engaging in or assisting with armed struggle, and i dont see that in at least donetsk and luhansk.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

CongoJack posted:

Yeah but those soldiers have to live in the country where the insurgency takes place

The parallels to Iraq/Afghanistan are extremely questionable because most of the people living in the Russian occupied areas don't hate the Russians. There just isn't any groundswell of discontent and the country isn't being looted. You can't just have some angry dudes by themselves, an insurgency needs a whole social structure to live off of and that just isn't there at all. All the deranged Nazis will be stuck in eastern Poland running for office.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
been away traveling for a bit, did ukraine win or what

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

This is highly motivated reasoning, where you need to reach a conclusion that doesn't involve anything vaguely resembling "support/preference for the bad guys," and then reverse-engineer the reasons why that must be the case.

Could you please knock off the armchair psychoanalysis? You've tried this with me multiple times in the past and it never manages to hit the mark. It's also really demeaning. Nothing in my analysis has anything to do with "good guys" or "bad guys," and everything to do with the understanding that the U.S. and its NATO allies are the pettiest of bitches with a long track record of loving with other countries' internal politics. We don't tend to leave countries alone when we've lost proxy wars; we double and triple down on making their lives miserable.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

dk2m posted:

NATO is firmly united, ukraine has no shortages, they are about to cut off crimea, they blew up the bridge and its unrepairable. Soon they will march to moscow slava

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

dk2m posted:

They exploded half of a bridge, wars over

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Ukraine is experiencing a boom without end

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The psychological damage is incalculable

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

notably every western intelligence agency seems to have activated whatever they had within russia itself to cause a ruckus, too. eventually, active intelligence cells get burned or extracted. without an organic mass base of support, it doesn't last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Permanent revolution always seemed like a very poor option.

CongoJack posted:

It is probably why it makes more sense for the Russians to keep the train rolling regardless, and once the war is over, hire on anyone they don't need in the regular army into another PMC.

I really don't see an insurgency happening, guys, not in Donbass, not in the other occupied territories, and probably not in the rest of Ukraine either, besides a couple areas out West. The "partisan" attacks have all been spec-ops stuff, and while arguably that would continue, it isn't going to be truly destabilizing. In contrast, who knows what Ukraine is going to look like, and it isn't going to be pretty if they hoping the West bails them out.

Majorian posted:

Could you please knock off the armchair psychoanalysis? You've tried this with me multiple times in the past and it never manages to hit the mark. It's also really demeaning. Nothing in my analysis has anything to do with "good guys" or "bad guys," and everything to do with the understanding that the U.S. and its NATO allies are the pettiest of bitches with a long track record of loving with other countries' internal politics. We don't tend to leave countries alone when we've lost proxy wars; we double and triple down on making their lives miserable.

The US could do that with much weaker countries, now it is running out of gas.