Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Kefa posted:

How is it? The concept looks really interesting to me but at same time very repetitive.

I think you about nailed it. It's never really more than it is, if that makes sense, but it's also not very long and has a very distinct beginning, middle, and end.

I actually liked it a lot, but don't expect something that will eventually open up and become your forever fishing game or whatever. It's good for about as long as it needs to be and that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

We need to start a Kickstarter to make our own, it's clearly the only way.
Without official Steam Input integration all those features are useless, and the only way we can ever be sure it'll get recognized by Steam is for Valve to make it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Steam Input actually works with arbitrary USB HID devices, but I'm not sure if anybody has ever made a dual independent trackpad USB HID device for Valve to have tested it with.

You could probably do something crazy with the Linux USB Gadget driver emulating a USB HID device, attached to multiple trackpads and a gamepad to prototype/test.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
S recently got some GOG games and even with heroic they seem to run poorly or not at all. I know they are viable in lutris but never used that before. I installed it and pointed it to the place heroic installed the games, but it can't seem to recognize them. What gives?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Talorat posted:

You need to go the the island with the mysterious stranger and start the quest line to collect the artifacts, he’ll provide you with the dredge equipment. The island is one of the four close islands in the first area, I think to the east of the starting port?

Somehow I have explored a ton of the other islands and completely missed the nearby island with the big house on it :cripes:

That solved it.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Parker Lewis posted:

I feel like I am spending a lot of time cross-referencing game deals on third party sites with the Steam store to check for Deck compatibility status.

Are there any third-party deal-tracking sites that provide a one-stop shop for Steam review %, historical price, and Steam Deck compatibility ratings?

I am currently using a combination of IsThereAnyDeal, SteamDB, and the Steam store, and wondering if there is a better way.

Try gg.deals, might have what you're looking for. There is a filter you can apply under "Platform" for Verified, Compatible, and Unsupported.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Does Dredge do something different eventually like Inscryption or is it just what it starts at with unlocks?

I bounced off of Powerwash Simulator after a few hours. I don't have the patience for it. It's very satisfying though. Good podcast game but I'd rather some Truck or Farm simulator for that.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

so is CryoTools one everyone's recommended/required install along with boosting to 4gb VRAM? I'm officially in tinker mode

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yes, and you'll need to go into the BIOS to do another thing which is very, very much worth it if you emulate stuff.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Wasn't there some tinker thing that needs to be re-done when your deck updates? I don't remember what, but I could have sworn there was something that didn't stick after a system update.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Annath posted:

Wasn't there some tinker thing that needs to be re-done when your deck updates? I don't remember what, but I could have sworn there was something that didn't stick after a system update.

Decky sometimes.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Heran Bago posted:

Does Dredge do something different eventually like Inscryption or is it just what it starts at with unlocks?

I bounced off of Powerwash Simulator after a few hours. I don't have the patience for it. It's very satisfying though. Good podcast game but I'd rather some Truck or Farm simulator for that.

So I never finished Dredge but I've watched a LP of it while doing chores and stuff. It never really changes anything up like Inscription does. You get access to more spooky areas and fish but it never deviates from making your boat better to get better fish.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Spent half of today wrestling with Sunshine and Moonlight to get that set up to work and it was a giant pain in the rear end but at least now I can play Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts on the toilet.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
How does DOOM 2016 play on the Deck?

ProtonDB says it *runs* well (although no mention of battery life), but how does it actually play with the Deck setup?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It plays exactly like it would if you played it on a console. Or you can gently caress with gyro poo poo if you want.

It's one of the best shooters for the Deck, for sure.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Annath posted:

ProtonDB says it *runs* well (although no mention of battery life), but how does it actually play with the Deck setup?

Amazing.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Dave the Diver is so fun but I don’t know why after 25 years since the PSX era I still can’t get the hang of L/R versus LT/RT without having to think about it.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Heran Bago posted:

Dredge's zones each have some interesting gimmicks and a few quest stories are worth seeing but nah the core gameplay loop never changes

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Tayter Swift posted:

Dave the Diver is so fun but I don’t know why after 25 years since the PSX era I still can’t get the hang of L/R versus LT/RT without having to think about it.

I still can't remember any face buttons that aren't the PlayStation. I can remember A and B, but I will never remember which is X and which is Y.

LB/LT trips me up every single time. If I had the option to permanently make them L1 and L2, I would.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Annath posted:

Perfectly, I'd have to install it to check battery life and default settings (from memory I think it's 3 hours at medium) but its 60fps no problem.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Momomo posted:

I still can't remember any face buttons that aren't the PlayStation. I can remember A and B, but I will never remember which is X and which is Y.

LB/LT trips me up every single time. If I had the option to permanently make them L1 and L2, I would.

I switch between Deck and, uh, Switch all the time. I'm never going to keep it straight.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Tayter Swift posted:

I switch between Deck and, uh, Switch all the time. I'm never going to keep it straight.

That's why it's named the Nintendo Switch cause you play it once and should switch it off forever

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My Switch gets the most use when a new 1st party Nintendo game comes out, especially if it’s Kirby.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i use an 8bitdo adapter for switch and have been thinking about programming it to swap a/b x/y to match all the normal controllers...

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Tayter Swift posted:

To be honest it's not so bad. If all titles on a system consistently use the same buttons for OK/Cancel it's alright. You can keep them separated in your head.

Where it's a problem is when it's inconsistent even on the same console. Some early PSX titles had Circle:OK Cross:Cancel even though it's flipped around at a system level in North America. Doesn't help that I have one NA PSP-1001 but three JP PSP-3000s where those are backwards. I set the firmware on my PSPs and Vita to the Japanese standard, but then Sony came out and said they're moving to the other one world wide so, bleh.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

jokes posted:

Yes, and you'll need to go into the BIOS to do another thing which is very, very much worth it if you emulate stuff.

What exactly is this? Not the easiest thing to search for.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

hannibal posted:

What exactly is this? Not the easiest thing to search for.

You'll want to change the "UMA Buffer Size" as part of the Cryo Utilities setup. It gives you onscreen instructions on how to do it, it's extremely extremely simple.

Step 8 of this:
https://retroresolve.com/how-to-install-and-set-up-cryoutilities-on-steam-deck/

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

That's why it's named the Nintendo Switch cause you play it once and should switch it off forever

Yeah but they called it the Steam Deck because you put it on the aft of a ship and lay a big steamer on it and I get confused :(

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

No that's the poop deck steam deck is a portable PC video game console

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Been playing Cyberpunk on this thing for the last week and man this poo poo rules. Game’s still wack but real fun in a New Vegas kinda way.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah i should get back into it or try again.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

tater_salad posted:

It's also a work computer

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

tater_salad posted:

Look tater,

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
The real steam deck gaming experience is spending 2 hours building custom control profiles and templates for every new game you play.

Also, severed steel and ghost runner are on sale for $10 total at humble bundle so I grabbed those to practice controller for shooters ( I'm going to find a way to replace mouse and keyboard with flick sick gyro when it it takes me a year, which it is) and returnal just turned out too frustrating and tedious for my weak hands.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

PageMaster posted:

The real steam deck gaming experience is spending 2 hours building custom control profiles and templates for every new game you play.

I actually enjoy tweaking each game to find that sweet spot between performance and battery life. It would be cool if you could earn Steam badges for getting Mass Effect Legendary to run for four hours at 60 frames per second on battery.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Photex posted:

so is CryoTools one everyone's recommended/required install along with boosting to 4gb VRAM? I'm officially in tinker mode

If I already have cryo installed do I still need to go into bios and change vram to 4gb?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Yeah, it's a separate thing

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I just play games on it. I'm a sicko

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

tater_salad posted:

I just play games on it. I'm a sicko

That was me until I started reading this thread and second guessing myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

I don't play games on mine, just test how well it can run the games I have already finished on my PC before.