Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!
the amount of Chappelle hate in here because he had Musk on stage for 7 minutes is hilarious. Primo Something Awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Viller posted:

the amount of Chappelle hate in here because he had Musk on stage for 7 minutes is hilarious. Primo Something Awful

Yes that's certainly the only reason, well done Sherlock, another SA forums case solved (without bothering to read any of the actual posts)

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
yes, that is the only reason for the dislike of Chappelle, i cannot think of anything else he has done to merit controversy over the last few years

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'm just not a fan of rich transphobes supporting each other :shrug:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Viller posted:

Is all you do on this site whine about how bad this site is?

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Viller posted:

Oh man wait until you hear what else Chapelle has been up to

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

temple posted:

Does it matter? I do think sketch and tv comedy is always weird and not funny in retrospect.

Comedians are big whiney babies and more so when they get old. Even Carlin became an angry old man. Pryor was barely funny after his immolation. I'm glad he got sick and quit.

Really? I thought after that he was on fire.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I feel like "a high rate limit to counter spambots, but that might get some false positives on really active humans" is a very different thing from "arbitrary cutoffs imposed on all users because we didn't pay our cloud bill."

It sounds like rate limiting the posts? And not views

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

MunchE posted:

Burr you would 100% assume goes the same lovely chuddy trajectory into grumpy old man humor but he's actually touched on some hot button topics in a really funny and interesting way without bitching about people getting offended. Because people are laughing, because he's actually *funny*.
Burr's thing is he thinks most "controversy" is artificially-amplified bullshit, and he also stakes out on both sides of an issue a lot. Like the Dylan Mulvaney situation he was like "that was an extremely dumb move by Anheuser Busch and also the people getting mad about it are anger-addicted morons."

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
This thread made me curious so I poked around a bit and quickly found Bill Burr's bit about trans women in mma where he talks about beating an opponent with her (of course he uses "he" the whole time but) cut off penis. Real shocker that this dude goes on Rogan.

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

Lmao Chapelle NIMBYed it up at his local municipal small town council meeting because they were going to build a new housing complex and he had to cry about it, and that’s just one random thing, and pales in comparison with his bigotry, guy is a loving loser

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

priznat posted:

Hey but they’re learning and willing to give him a shot!

Burr does go on Rogan too but he pushes back against a lot of the idiocy and you can tell he is pretty good about when to pick a battle and when to just say/think “this fuckin guy” and let it go.

So its ok to have prejudiced opinions so long as you give them a shot?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
My favorite Chapelle move is when he want to a high school auditorium to yell at teens for not liking him.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
"Use our product, it sucks!"

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1681095483173883905?s=20

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

E the Shaggy posted:

"Use our product, it sucks!"

the ouya av makes this post :discourse:

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Archonex posted:

He had good writers at the time. And it should be noted that those skits were stories other more famous people were telling the crew. It's not hard to be funny if someone else is giving you the material and you have a writing staff to make it workable.

Dude really is like Elon Musk in taking credit for other people's work.

he is a good writer hes a chud pos but he can write a loving joke. his oj bit and the working backwards from the punchline bit in his first netflix special which is where he started being chuddy prove this. he wrote those on his own. his version of paul mooney didnt write for any of those.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i love how ~Small Businesses~ are always held up as this sacred archetype of people who should basically be allowed to do whatever the gently caress they want because they are Mom and Pop, the divine inhabitants of Norman Rockell paintings, glowing with Wholesome Goodness. but they really mean huge rear end corporations and sketchy techbro startups anyway

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 18, 2023

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

small businesses suck. like I'm going to pay .50 cents more for some poo poo for the privilege of waiting an extra 2 minutes for 'Ma to manually input the price of my poo poo into some 45 year old cash register.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

Viller posted:

Most of the Chappelle hate is because his last few specials werent funny.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

Incitatus posted:

small businesses suck. like I'm going to pay .50 cents more for some poo poo for the privilege of waiting an extra 2 minutes for 'Ma to manually input the price of my poo poo into some 45 year old cash register.

Sorry Sonny we're low on change at the moment, but here's a butterscotch in lieu of your $0.04.

get hosed

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!

Earwicker posted:

i love how ~Small Businesses~ are always held up as this sacred archetype of people who should basically be allowed to do whatever the gently caress they want because they are Mom and Pop, the divine inhabitants of Norman Rockell paintings, glowing with Wholesome Goodness. but they really mean huge rear end corporations and sketchy techbro startups anyway

Small business owners are some of the most insane awful people you will ever meet

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Dubplate Fire posted:

Most of the Chappelle hate is because his last few specials werent funny.

Even looking at his netflix specials after coming back, there's a noticeable decline after each one, where it's almost like he took the worst parts of the previous specials and just expanded on those.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Goons are just doing the dumb thing were they pretend a person can’t be good (or couldn’t be good at some point) at their job and also a terrible person. Some kind of weird just world fantasy thing I guess

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Make some noise for the richest man in the world!

Boooooooooooooooo

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Butterwagon posted:

Small business owners are some of the most insane awful people you will ever meet

They’re twice as bad if they own a bar or restaurant.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Butterwagon posted:

oh i know ive worked for several. but when people use the term in that context, thats not really what they are talking about. its a wedge.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Earwicker posted:

The threshholds are absolutely ridiculous. You can qualify for special treatment as a "small business" if you're a logging company with 350 employees, a clothing store with $45m in sales, or are employing 1,400 people to build an oil pipeline.

https://www.sba.gov/sites/sbagov/files/2023-06/Table%20of%20Size%20Standards_Effective%20March%2017%2C%202023%20%282%29.pdf

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The threshholds are absolutely ridiculous. You can qualify for special treatment as a "small business" if you're a logging company with 350 employees, a clothing store with $45m in sales, or are employing 1,400 people to build an oil pipeline.

yeah, the guy who is whining about norway's new policy hurting "small businesses" in the above quote is the ceo of a tech company with over 2500 employees

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Butterwagon posted:

They also do tons of dodgy/illegal/negligent poo poo because they haven't been in business long enough to get sued for it yet.

It is partly true that Facebook is supporting regulation as a way of locking newer competitors out of the market, but this one is just going to punch them in the face.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Meta actually employs large numbers of competent software engineers though, so they probably are able to actually implement intelligent checks for suspicious high-rate activity instead of doing something completely stupid like blanket limiting all users to 600 post loads per day.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

bobjr posted:

Even looking at his netflix specials after coming back, there's a noticeable decline after each one, where it's almost like he took the worst parts of the previous specials and just expanded on those.
It's a real cliff when you watch the first one, skip a couple, and then watch a 2020 special

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Incitatus posted:

So its ok to have prejudiced opinions so long as you give them a shot?

He's one of the good ones (popular bald white guys)

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

Jestery posted:

But can you imagine the Elon Musk show?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

LMAO at anyone thinking people are mad because Chapelle brought Failon on stage for seven minutes

It’s more about gleeful ridicule of the fact that, as someone upthread pointed out, it was very much “Put your hands together, for the richest man in the WOOORLLLD!” energy

Followed by the idiotic Musk, probably the least funniest person in the world, walking out and not even being able to say the one line he was given, and looked awkward, sounding awkward, and embarrassing everyone in the building

I mean you can say Dave is maligned and hated all you want, but that was one of the most cringeworthy episode by a major celebrity on a big stage in recent memory.

And he chose this. He chose to bring that lumbering, unfunny automaton out there onstage. That will never not be funny, and I hope you Musksuckers and Chapelle-fellators have trauma over the reaction to it for the rest of your lives.

Because the rest of us will never stop laughing about it

🤣🤣🤣

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Incitatus posted:

My “gently caress small businesses” bumper sticker makes a lot of people angry but I’m sticking with it

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

pretty sure a lot of people were mad at chapelle for being a transphobic piece of poo poo and then doubling down on it, and then i guess pseudo-apologizing for it, well before anything to do with elon

delightful
Jul 20, 2022

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Yes that's certainly the only reason, well done Sherlock, another SA forums case solved (without bothering to read any of the actual posts)

I think Chappelle's recent anti-trans comments are abhorrent, but "he was never funny" is the kind of lovely SA take that should be made fun of. Killin them softly and For What's It's Worth are great specials. It sucks that he sucks now, but erasing his past is just Goon Bullshit 101.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Small business owners will blame literally everyone else on Earth before themselves if they're failing. They also think it's their God-given right to be a business owner and they're too good to have a regular job. It's below them to rejoin the working class. The mere thought sends them into maniacal rage.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

delightful posted:

I think Chappelle's recent anti-trans comments are abhorrent, but "he was never funny" is the kind of lovely SA take that should be made fun of. Killin them softly and For What's It's Worth are great specials. It sucks that he sucks now, but erasing his past is just Goon Bullshit 101.

i dont know why you think this tendency is specific to something awful. humor changes dramatically over time, both in the sense that culture changes and what is considered funny or acceptable as comedy changes, and in the sense that as people age they tend to find different things funny than when they were young. its not just chapelle, there are a ton of old sitcoms and sketch comedy shows from the past that were once wildly popular, but come across as unfunny, or offensive, or dull, or just nonsensical in a modern context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Earwicker posted:

i dont know why you think this tendency is specific to something awful. humor changes dramatically over time, both in the sense that culture changes and what is considered funny or acceptable as comedy changes, and in the sense that as people age they tend to find different things funny than when they were young. its not just chapelle, there are a ton of old sitcoms and sketch comedy shows from the past that were once wildly popular, but come across as unfunny, or offensive, or dull, or just nonsensical in a modern context.

That’s not what they’re talking about, though. It’s not people saying “I don’t find it funny now,” it’s people saying “it was never funny.” That’s a little silly imo.