Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

amigolupus posted:

The fact Mopey Pete and his girlfriend are dressed up as siblings just makes me think of that Shortpacked parody comic with "cancer cancer cancer? incest!"

They're just big fans of the Ultimate version of the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

mycatscrimes posted:

Shouldn't Scooby and the Gang logically realize every time they found a ghost in the past it's actually been an elaborate hoax, and therefore the Phantom of Spooky Hill is almost certainly another case of real estate fraud? These mysteries just fall apart immediately, smh.

:actually: In Scooby Doo and the Ghoul School the monsters were real.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Powered Descent posted:

A statistical outlier, the gang should logically assume that it's an old man with a projector until proven otherwise. :smuggo:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

and that was an awesome movie and the only time I ever liked Scooby as a kid.

wait, is the girl with Mopey Pete one of the twin girls from the bookstore poo poo in Crankshaft but all grown up now?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

amigolupus posted:

Note that the teacher isn't teaching them to be more empathetic and see the other kids as more than just meals, just that they're "off limits".

It's funny how Holbrook really wanted to sell the idea that the Dewclaw family would be like a role model for co-existence between predator and prey species, then you get poo poo like this that shows nothing has improved, even the cases where Holbrook has supporting interspecies characters hook up together is only due to trickery or circumstance forcing them together.

Well that's because some people will always be bad people. But only because they're incompetent and stupid. If they were competent and smart, like our protagonists, then the world would be a perfect wonderful place :)

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Bunnicula and Calvin and Hobbes have Internal consistency

The reason people say Scooby Doo jumped the shark once a monster was real is because it destroyed that

If you don't understand the rules of the world, it's a lot harder to care about the stakes of a story or enjoy being surprised by a twist

It's arguable that Crabgrass has reached a point where it's an issue but it clearly is for some readers

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Scooby-Doo has internal consistency. There are monsters, and there are also people who dress up like monsters to deflect suspicions for the mundane crimes they intend to commit.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Darthemed posted:

Scooby-Doo has internal consistency. There are monsters, and there are also people who dress up like monsters to deflect suspicions for the mundane crimes they intend to commit.

That's the "new normal"

It's basically the opposite of the message of the original run, though

Things can eventually settle into being a different thing than they started as, but at first it often just seems like world building confusion

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Crabgrass is still pretty good! I'm fine with the timeline being "shrug" and the cartoony magic realism of the setting. It's just run long and it's easier to be surly about the story if that bugs you as a reader. I think everybody will forgive Crabgrass if it can wrap up this storyline in a good way in the next week or two.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Green Intern posted:

The river quietly chuckles to itself in anticipation.
18 April 1995

Fun With Lawsuits and Lesbian Horse Fashion (No, Not Rarity from Friendship is Magic, Bad Fashion)

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Crabgrass absolutely has internal consistency though? Nothing people have pointed out contradicts anything else about the story or setting, only outside facts that some viewers have decided the setting should have, like being set specifically in one time period, which it never has been. And 'ambigous past' is a pretty common setting that the author has been open about using, it shouldn't be hard to understand. Same with 'mundane setting with fantasy elements', that's even more common. It doesn't require the entire setting to be worldbuilt around those fantasy elements, because a lot of the time, the whole point is that the setting is in fact just like our world outside of those elements. It's a really common device to ground a more magical kid's story. It's certainly not universally appealing, and no one has to like it, but it's hardly unknown or confusing.

It comes across more like cinemasins style looking for gotchas than anything. And I don't have any particularly strong feelings about the comic, it's fundamentally a 'cute but not my thing' read to me. It just feels like it gets a lot of nitpicking about minutae that has nothing to do with what it is or is trying to be, and makes no difference to a story.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 18, 2023

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Also I have never once heard someone say that Scooby Doo jumped the shark, that's pretty conceptually funny.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

maybealabia posted:

That's the "new normal"

It's basically the opposite of the message of the original run, though

Things can eventually settle into being a different thing than they started as, but at first it often just seems like world building confusion
Real monsters existing in the Scooby-Doo world was the ‘new normal’ as of 1972, three years after the franchise began.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I just think Crabgrass has dragged on this story with no actual good parts or payoff that can be worth it.

I would be happy to be wrong.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Cowslips Warren posted:

I just think Crabgrass has dragged on this story with no actual good parts or payoff that can be worth it.

I would be happy to be wrong.

Yeah pacing is a much bigger problem than setting details here. Hopefully it's something the author gets better at as he goes, since he clearly likes doing longform adventures.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

mycatscrimes posted:

Also I have never once heard someone say that Scooby Doo jumped the shark, that's pretty conceptually funny.

I mean, it has several time. There's been like, Scrappy-Doo, and people that don't like real monsters will point to Ghoul School or 13 Ghosts, and Shaggy & Scooby-Doo Get a Clue was dire. I think Scooby-Doo gets around that though by airing all their old stuff so kids grow up with it and just accept it. Like, Ghoul School and 13 Ghosts were before I was born so Scooby-Doo has always has an element of the real supernatural to it; I hate Scrappy-Doo but I also kinda like the little bastard since I remember watching shows with him in them growing up.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Perhaps the best label for Crabgrass's setting would be "during the reader's childhood". So it can put us a little off-balance when an element crops up that isn't from our own childhood era specifically.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Actually I joke but no we actually are beginning to approach Farley's death; the original run for this comic was 7/18/94, there is less than a year to dog death at this point.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I do think struggling with pacing is pretty common for comic writers who are just getting in to serial storytelling, so I think it'll get better as the writer finds his feet.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 18, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Hostile V posted:

Actually I joke but no we actually are beginning to approach Farley's death; the original run for this comic was 7/18/94, there is less than a year to dog death at this point.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

mycatscrimes posted:

I do think struggling with pacing is pretty comic for comic writers who are just getting in to serial storytelling, so I think it'll get better as the writer finds his feet.

I agree. We read these strips one day at a time, but to keep a comfortable lead time they're written in large batches. I can imagine that this would make it difficult to envision how the pacing feels or where things might drag. I suspect that's why Team Evans runs multiple long storylines at once and switch between them every two weeks, though whether or not that's a good solution is debatable.

Speaking of:

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Comic Strips 2023: Countdown to Dog Death

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

amigolupus posted:

The fact Mopey Pete and his girlfriend are dressed up as siblings just makes me think of that Shortpacked parody comic with "cancer cancer cancer? incest!"

But one question kind of hangs there: better or worse than Les and Lisa dressed as Batman and Robin (a grown man and his adopted son) for their wedding?

Anyway, Our Boarding House launches a new story by signaling a turn you could see from several blocks over. (April 14-16, 1924)

Toonerville Folks (June 16-18, 1921)

Dok's "Oh, THIS rear end in a top hat Again" Duck (October 30, 1914)

Little Lefty falls victim to my crappy work ethic tonight. :shrug:

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Cowslips Warren posted:

and that was an awesome movie and the only time I ever liked Scooby as a kid.

wait, is the girl with Mopey Pete one of the twin girls from the bookstore poo poo in Crankshaft but all grown up now?

Liked the one down south better (Zombie Island?)
That terror time again song was actually pretty fuckin' good

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Lisa and Les dressed as WHAT.

Since when did Robin, any of them, have cancer!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
You might want to sit down for this one.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Haifisch posted:

What is up with Garfield? Everyone knows cats don't eat lasagna!!!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Steve Kelley really hates women.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

So what do you think, the other dog will be there at the vet's getting treated or what?

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Someone pointed out this lady's nonsense nose and now it's all I can see.

Oh, like a website for example?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Bogor

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

EasyEW posted:

You might want to sit down for this one.

Oh MAN :allears:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Cowslips Warren posted:

Yeah, that's supposed to be Mindy, one of the twin girls who hang around all the time with that old writer lady. Supposedly, FW takes place 10 years after Crankshaft, despite it not making any sense due to how both strips tackle the same real-life issue at the same time. But the last arc in Funky Winkerbean had that incredibly stupid poo poo with the Time Janitor explaining away the discrepancy as a "Time Bubble" and that he was gonna remove it so that FW and Crankshaft now take place in the same time.

Please ignore that we just had this strip a couple weeks ago where Mopey Pete's girlfriend transformed back into a small child:

EasyEW posted:

For whoever was rooting for a demon to haunt that desk in Crankshaft, we're getting a different kind of curse.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

It really feels like Mark and his dad don't really care about the train exploding and are just huffing their own farts about how Grampa Trail was such a great environmentalist and trying to be as cool as him.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

amigolupus posted:

It really feels like Mark and his dad don't really care about the train exploding and are just huffing their own farts about how Grampa Trail was such a great environmentalist and trying to be as cool as him.

If I remember the real world recent disaster this is clearly about, the fire was deliberately set because it was concluded while bad, it would be worse to let the spill get into groundwater and such. It's not like you can just vacuum it up. (Of course, the real issue is rail maintenance and inadqeuare satey on hazaradous material transport, but fixing those would cost money.)

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I feel like if that eye injury is serious and time-critical enough to immediately commandeer an operating room and four staff from the already busy hospital, they would have done it without Rex' persistent urging.

e: I mean it's excellent that Rex came in with that assessment all ready and is taking the workload off his colleagues, it just makes him come across like he's not trusting the protocol in his own hospital

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 18, 2023

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Zereth posted:

If I remember the real world recent disaster this is clearly about, the fire was deliberately set because it was concluded while bad, it would be worse to let the spill get into groundwater and such. It's not like you can just vacuum it up. (Of course, the real issue is rail maintenance and inadqeuare satey on hazaradous material transport, but fixing those would cost money.)
Setting fire to it was also cheaper than to actually attempt clean it up and would clear the tracks for more petrochemical trains a lot faster. They made that decision VERY quickly as well. All the people in the city who had to breathe the resulting toxic cancerous smoke were of course not consulted or cared about in the slightest.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

EasyEW posted:

Dok's "Oh, THIS rear end in a top hat Again" Duck (October 30, 1914)

I am amazed at how this strip started as a weather panel doodle, went through an era of "Nothin' but quiet on this block but if I see that Jerry..." and now the duck is running through World War I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (August 14, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens