Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah theyre super big on building a parallel christians only society

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

american christianity is unbelievably corrosive and abusive and i am unbelievably lucky to have escaped with most of my sanity intact

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Internet Janitor posted:

the american christian grifter mediasphere is pretty impressive

an entire alternate reality of movies, music, books, clothing, television, radio, board games, video games, and every conceivable household product clumsily ticking "christian" checkboxes and forming a defensive perimeter for god-fearing households against the secular world
the whole christian alt-economy is infinitely entertaining to me. an entire alternate universe of normal consumer products except they are 1) shittier, 2) more expensive, and 3) covered in bible quotes

services too: christian campgrounds, christian retirement planners, etc etc

put a little fish logo on it and you can bump your profits 30%

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

christian summer camps 😬

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

FMguru posted:

the whole christian alt-economy is infinitely entertaining to me. an entire alternate universe of normal consumer products except they are 1) shittier, 2) more expensive, and 3) covered in bible quotes

services too: christian campgrounds, christian retirement planners, etc etc

put a little fish logo on it and you can bump your profits 30%
i love that this piece of poo poo exists

https://biblebible.com/electronic-bible/

when there’s probably a million apps that will read you the bible for free

mystes
May 31, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

not if you aren't allowed to have a phone, computer, or any other access to the outside world they won't

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there are also incredibly fuckin old peeps and blind peeps

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

jesus WEP posted:

biblebible.com for when one bible just isn't enough

i pressed play on the product demo and was introduced to rick, the most aggressively average christian man imaginable

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

honestly i think it just makes some sense if one looks at it in the right light. e.g. if i was a proper buddhist i could imagine having a device with the only purpose of playing inspired utterances or such, and messing with a phone or whatever would be kind of contrary to the purpose of the moment.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

there are also incredibly fuckin old peeps and blind peeps
blind peeps can use an iphone

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

wow poo poo has really moved backwards since 1989's backup plan to being judicially enjoined from selling Apple-II clones, the Franklin KJ-21

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

a device with the only purpose of playing inspired utterances

my mixtape is freely available

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah theyre super big on building a parallel christians only society

~in this world but not of it~

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

mediaphage posted:

~in this world but not of it~

jfc this one drives me nuts. how can you possibly know what the people you claim you are trying to help need if you don't, y'know, talk to them?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

blind peeps can use an iphone

probably easier than they can use that e-bible, which appears to have been designed completely without accessibility in mind as the buttons have no depth or way to distinguish them without looking

that thing is a dumb gimmick that's probably bought exclusively by cable-news-addicted grandparents as gifts for their grandchildren who yeet them into the trash as soon as they leave

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Beeftweeter posted:

it is definitely dangerous to connect "NATO values" (or whatever, insert geopolitical group here) and "christian values"

they are not and should never be the same thing

nato shouldn’t exist

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
store-brand generic fundie christian attempts at constructing christian societies are honesly pretty pathetic compared to mormons

200 years from now the earth will be a parched, barren wasteland, and the utah street grid system will cover the entirety of north america, with an lds temple every 5 blocks

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
vladimir putin spent thousands and thousands of russian lives for the seeming grand purpose of making nato relevant again, for some reason

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

bob dobbs is dead posted:

vladimir putin spent thousands and thousands of russian lives for the seeming grand purpose of making nato relevant again, for some reason

it never stopped being relevant, nato kept attacking places the whole time and was talking about expanding to asia to go after china too

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

fart simpson posted:

it never stopped being relevant, nato kept attacking places the whole time and was talking about expanding to asia to go after china too

SEATO existed at one point.. if i'm remembering the news cycle correctly, they tried to establish a branch outpost in japan but were shot down by france recently

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

my mixtape is freely available

the post said inspired not insipid

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quiggy posted:

jfc this one drives me nuts. how can you possibly know what the people you claim you are trying to help need if you don't, y'know, talk to them?

what are you talking about, it says right in the bible what people need

what are you gonna trust them to tell you? they're sinners

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Shame Boy posted:

what are you talking about, it says right in the bible what people need

what are you gonna trust them to tell you? they're sinners

all you need is jesus, duh.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Expo70 posted:

the dark patterns part of my brain is wondering if someone could socially engineer them into thinking that the act of voting is anti-christian or something because democracy undermines the rule of god or whatever and that whatever people choose means they open themselves up for gods punishments if they decide to have premarital homo sex or whatever -- and that intervening will mean they'll be punished by god for trying to steer its plan or something

this is something jehova's witnesses were telling their practitioners as recently as 30 years ago, so it may still be a thing, just not anywhere near as common as you'd hope

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Expo70 posted:

the dark patterns part of my brain is wondering if someone could socially engineer them into thinking that the act of voting is anti-christian or something because democracy undermines the rule of god or whatever and that whatever people choose means they open themselves up for gods punishments if they decide to have premarital homo sex or whatever -- and that intervening will mean they'll be punished by god for trying to steer its plan or something

my parents were part of a group called the brethren in Australia who believed exactly that, which is also why I didn't have television growing up until I was 11.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

quiggy posted:

you're in good company the best track Stevie Wonder ever laid was partly about calling this poo poo out

mostly bout his mom tho

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 18, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fart simpson posted:

nato shouldn’t exist

agreed but it does, lol @ there being "nato values" anyway though. i wonder how trying to impose christian values might go down in turkey

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Beeftweeter posted:

agreed but it does, lol @ there being "nato values" anyway though. i wonder how trying to impose christian values might go down in turkey

oh i thought we were doing "shoulds" since you said the values shouldnt be aligned. my bad

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

quiggy posted:

idk if it's different in non-protestant sects, because i was raised methodist and later baptist, but lmao literally nothing matters other than being "saved" (which entails nothing more than saying "jesus christ is my lord and savior" and/or just stating "yes i am saved" at some point. maybe eventually you get dunked in the pool or sprinkled with some water, but it's not required). anything beyond that is gravy. i'm serious, that's it, that's your entry into heaven, non-negotiable, non-refundable

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

sorry if you grew up in it too and already knew that, but it's still a fuckin trip

mystes
May 31, 2006

If believing in jesus is the only thing that actually matters you would think they could lay off inflicting the other bullshit on everyone else because it's just pure virtue signalling

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

mystes posted:

If believing in jesus is the only thing that actually matters you would think they could lay off inflicting the other bullshit on everyone else because it's just pure virtue signalling

but you see, when you don't have to worry about actually doing anything, you can instead spend all that time virtue signaling :v

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i wasn't raised religious but i always figured that american protestantism expanded on "faith not works" by essentially arguing that someone whose actions are deeply immoral doesn't have true faith. otherwise it's trivially susceptible to the deathbed confessional of a rapist murderer embodiment of pure evil who converts with his dying breath, welp he's going to heaven

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i wasn't raised religious but i always figured that american protestantism expanded on "faith not works" by essentially arguing that someone whose actions are deeply immoral doesn't have true faith. otherwise it's trivially susceptible to the deathbed confessional of a rapist murderer embodiment of pure evil who converts with his dying breath, welp he's going to heaven

no it absolutely is and it's an inspirational story when it happens not an obvious flaw

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

sure this guy killed 40 women but he found jesus on death row and that's just one of the beautiful miracles of christ

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

look here's an interview with him where he talks about how the homosexual agenda and satanic music made him murder those women, and now that he's trustworthy we should absolutely take him at his word and listen closely

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it went the other way, sola fide as dissociation for doing whatever the gently caress you want

lotta native aboriginal peeps got the protestant spiel and figured whitey were atheists

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

see also how my abortion is the only moral abortion, etc

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

you had an abortion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010