Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jon Irenicus posted:

holy poo poo how am I supposed to afford a car now Jesus Christ these prices are insane

I'm tall too so I need something I can fit into and now everything is Luxury and Sport editions??? this is even worse than I thought

just steal a car. Kias are good targets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
🚗 crimes aren’t illegal

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

comedyblissoption posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1575900626659205122

The suggestion that the U.S. caused the damage was circulating on online forums popular with American conservatives and followers of QAnon, a conspiracy theory movement which asserts that Trump is fighting a battle against a Satanic child-trafficking sect that controls world events.

this was a good one too:

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

i am harry posted:

hmm. turns out old people and young people can both go gently caress themselves.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Jon Irenicus posted:

holy poo poo how am I supposed to afford a car now Jesus Christ these prices are insane

I'm tall too so I need something I can fit into and now everything is Luxury and Sport editions??? this is even worse than I thought
how about a nice reliable used horse?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Jon Irenicus posted:

The premium consumer is strong, though.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Xaris posted:

just steal a car. Kias are good targets

Before the security flaws turned Kia stealing into a tiktok trend I'd have thought they'd be too uncool to steal.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
boomers can collectively drink the loving bleach

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

the remaining silent gen would have all been 4F'd. unfit to remain in our world, they've destroyed it for all time

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

comedyblissoption posted:

ossoff winning of course validates the theory that they should keep running the beto o rourkes and stacey abrams over and over again

Ohhh yeah. Between him and Buttigieg, my generation is carrying on the dubious tradition of promoting dead-eyed strivers instead of people with actual values (or souls).

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

RadiRoot posted:

boomers can collectively drink the loving bleach

Eagerly awaiting the hundredth iteration of the derail about the existence of generational cohorts.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

If you were born in the 80s none of this is your fault, but is the fault of the old and very young

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

let’s talk about something new I want to make a thread but I’m always too tired so has anyone ever like gone on a trip and run into a friend they haven’t seen in fifteen years at a gas station halfway across the country or anything like that because I have so many times I need to talk about it or I’ll start to go crazy

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

Eagerly awaiting the hundredth iteration of the derail about the existence of generational cohorts.

yeah i dont give a poo poo.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

humans are nothing, miniscule. Our activity is not significant, the earth is mighty.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

i am harry posted:

let’s talk about something new I want to make a thread but I’m always too tired so has anyone ever like gone on a trip and run into a friend they haven’t seen in fifteen years at a gas station halfway across the country or anything like that because I have so many times I need to talk about it or I’ll start to go crazy

we need a new way to post about the economy without getting probed for not eating breakfast

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Nonsense posted:

humans are nothing, miniscule. Our activity is not significant, the earth is mighty.

those are my thoughts exactly. like why bother with anything. just accept eternal peace off this loving rock.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Nonsense posted:

many hands

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Rock Puncher posted:

we need a new way to post about the economy without getting probed for not eating breakfast

just lie and start your post by saying you eat a bowl of kidney beans in oat milk every morning

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

i am harry posted:

:justpost:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Only India and China will ever be subject to caps on their industrial development and we will absolutely impose them at gunpoint at some point because they simply cannot win.

The world is getting too hot, blame will shift to them very soon.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

quote:

India possesses approximately 164 nuclear weapons, which it can launch from missiles and, most likely, aircraft. It may also be able to launch them from submarines.

quote:

in the SIPRI Yearbook 2023 released on Monday, the think tank said it estimated China’s nuclear arsenal had increased from 350 warheads in January 2022 to 410 in January 2023, and that it was “expected to keep growing”.

:allears:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Saw this making the rounds online,

We're just giving up on human connections eh? Getting advice for intimacy with another person from a robot, as a paid service?

It says you can ask a robot about love. What the gently caress?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
that's a dumber take than libs cheering on the nazis.

here's a really simple guide to world politics: There's a proxy war with russia instead of a direct war with russia because they have 5889 nuclear warheads.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Frosted Flake posted:

We're just giving up on human connections eh? Getting advice for intimacy with another person from a robot, as a paid service?

“computer, what is love?”

“ERROR baby don’t hurt me”

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
Melbourne commonwealth games cancelled due to cost blowouts

And we only put our hand up to host because Durban couldn't afford them either

no more circuses, at least we still have bread

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

The second they lower rates again inflation is going to shoot back up.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

i am harry posted:

Great news, a series of highly improbable encounters like that means you are the main character of a fairly lovely novel

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Mola Yam posted:

Melbourne commonwealth games cancelled due to cost blowouts

And we only put our hand up to host because Durban couldn't afford them either

no more circuses, at least we still have bread

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/crimea-bridge-key-russian-supply-line-damaged-two-dead-reports-blasts-2023-07-17/

Uhhh, about the bread....

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
lmao so apparently all that bud light trans panic poo poo really did cause a huge number of chuds to switch beers. miller and coors both jumped 15-20% in sales while bud light fell 17%

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Stereotype posted:

lmao so apparently all that bud light trans panic poo poo really did cause a huge number of chuds to switch beers. miller and coors both jumped 15-20% in sales while bud light fell 17%

Yeah I got a massively discontinued case of Bud Light but I hadn't had it in forever and had forgotten it tastes only very faintly of rice cakes.

Oh well, I gotta drink this poo poo to own the chuds, I guess.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

how is this any different than googling?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Wtf is this all about. Biden's het up over some endangered fish he says Mexico is selling to China. What's the real story
Letters to the Speaker of the House and the President of the Senate on the Notification to the Congress Regarding the Secretary of the Interior’s Certification Under Section 8 of the Fisherman’s Protective Act of 1967, as amended | The White House

www.whitehouse.gov posted:

On May 18, 2023, the Secretary of the Interior certified under section 8 of the Fisherman’s Protective Act of 1967, as amended (the “Pelly Amendment”) (22 U.S.C. 1978), that nationals of Mexico are engaging in trade or taking of totoaba and vaquita that diminishes the effectiveness of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).  This letter constitutes my notification to the Congress consistent with subsection (b) of the Pelly Amendment.

In 1975, Mexico recognized totoaba as a protected species and prohibited all fishing for the species.  However, illegal fishing for totoaba has continued.  Nets set to catch totoaba also take non-target species, including the vaquita, a small porpoise that is the most endangered marine mammal in the world.  Both vaquita and totoaba were listed in CITES Appendix I in the 1970s, and both are considered to be facing extremely high risk of extinction.

Despite international protections and Mexico’s domestic ban on totoaba fishing, the illegal harvest and international trade in totoaba has continued in response to the ongoing demand in the People’s Republic of China (PRC).  With the price of a single totoaba swim bladder estimated at thousands of dollars, the incentive for illegal harvest and trade is high.  Many of these illegally harvested swim bladders are trafficked from Mexico through the United States to the PRC.  As the illegal harvest of totoaba has continued, the vaquita population has plummeted.  Recent estimates suggest there are fewer than 15 individual vaquitas remaining in the wild.  Despite these low numbers, scientists believe that the vaquita can survive and recover if the threats to its survival are reduced or eliminated.

Several efforts to protect totoaba and vaquita are ongoing.  The United States has been engaged in a diplomatic dialogue with Mexico about the vaquita through the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement environment consultation process.  In March 2023, the CITES Secretariat recommended that all parties to CITES suspend trade with Mexico in CITES-listed species because of Mexico’s failure to comply with its obligations to CITES.  Mexico submitted a CITES Compliance Action Plan to the CITES Secretariat in April 2023, outlining a set of steps they will take to improve enforcement and monitoring of illegal fishing in the Gulf of California.  The Secretariat subsequently withdrew the recommendation the following month upon Mexico’s submission of a compliance action plan. 

The Mexican government has also entered into a partnership with the non-governmental organization Sea Shepherd Conservation Society to remove gillnets from a small priority region (the “Zero Tolerance Area” or ZTA).  On June 26, 2023, Sea Shepherd reported that the ZTA of the Gulf of California is “functionally gillnet free.”

These steps are important, but insufficient to ensuring the recovery of the vaquita.  In a certification on May 18, 2023, the Secretary of the Interior expressed my Administration’s concerns about the ongoing trafficking of totoaba and inadequate conservation outcomes to date.  The Government of Mexico must do more to prevent this illegal trade, enforce against illegal totoaba fishing across its full range, and protect these species, or it is likely that the totoaba population will continue to decline and the vaquita will soon become extinct.

To ensure that this issue continues to receive the highest level of attention, I have directed:  

(1)  relevant executive departments and agencies (agencies) to convene a high-level dialogue with the Government of Mexico to discuss the steps it will take to reduce illegal trafficking of totoaba and enhance conservation of the vaquita.  Through this dialogue, the United States will encourage Mexico to strengthen and implement its CITES compliance action plan and comply with all relevant CITES decisions regarding totoaba and vaquita, including expansion of enforcement efforts beyond the ZTA.  The United States will also establish a schedule of at least quarterly meetings with the Government of Mexico to review its CITES Compliance Action Plan implementation, with a focus on enhanced monitoring and enforcement actions to prevent and deter totoaba fishing and trafficking, including seizures, arrests, and prosecutions.  The United States will also include totoaba and vaquita enforcement matters on the agenda for the next High Level Security Dialogue with Mexico;

(2)  relevant agencies to coordinate efforts to assist and support Mexico’s compliance, anti‑trafficking, anti-corruption, and other measures as appropriate.  If requested by the Government of Mexico, the United States will assist Mexico with relevant training and capacity building; and

(3)  the Secretary of the Interior, in coordination with the Secretary of Commerce, Secretary of State, and the United States Trade Representative, among other agencies as appropriate, to develop an assessment by July 2024, of Mexico’s enforcement actions and implementation of its CITES Compliance Action Plan.

I am not directing the Secretary of the Treasury to impose trade measures on Mexican products for the activities that led to the certification by the Secretary of the Interior at this time because the actions outlined above are the appropriate means to address this issue.  However, to ensure that this issue continues to receive the highest level of attention, the Secretary of the Interior, in coordination with the Secretary of Commerce, Secretary of State, and the United States Trade Representative, and other agencies as appropriate, will monitor Mexico’s enforcement actions and progress and provide me with a report not later than 1 year from the date of this notification on whether these actions have reduced the illegal harvest and trafficking of totoaba and enhanced the conservation of vaquita.  The report will be used as the basis for assessing whether additional steps, including potential trade restrictions, will be necessary.

I believe that continued focus is required to curtail the illegal taking of and commercial trade in totoaba and to support conservation efforts.  These actions hold the most promise of reducing illegal trade in totoaba and instituting effective conservation of the vaquita.
                                                                                Sincerely,

JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Oh well, I gotta drink this poo poo to own the chuds, I guess.
actually buying it and pouring it on the ground would be the best way in this one instance

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Stereotype posted:

monkey see monkey do

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

mawarannahr posted:

Wtf is this all about. Biden's het up over some endangered fish he says Mexico is selling to China. What's the real story

the real story is china bad

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Willa Rogers posted:

I'd totally forgotten about him. Another deadeye for the youngun pile.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

i am harry posted:

this literally never happens to anyone, you are insane, good job

you can relax now

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1681114311970951168?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Chinese medicine works and the US is trying to deny China this strategic asset of fish bladders