Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I'm open to all sorts of stuff but if we choose to include a 'watch a movie from a country you've never seen a horror movie from', please give an alternate to that one because my rear end was scraping the absolute bottom of the barrel trying to find a movie from a country I hadn't seen last October. I watch a lot of foreign movies, please be gentle to me, I'm getting into some really unwatchable stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Oops All Frankensteins meta category about creation resentment or just watching six Frankenstein movies

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I'm open to all sorts of stuff but if we choose to include a 'watch a movie from a country you've never seen a horror movie from', please give an alternate to that one because my rear end was scraping the absolute bottom of the barrel trying to find a movie from a country I hadn't seen last October. I watch a lot of foreign movies, please be gentle to me, I'm getting into some really unwatchable stuff.

It would be a fun thread resource to have a horro movie from every country in the op.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I like the idea of that challenge but yeah it can be a real scrape to find something. I think an end around would be a meta challenge that simply made a list of countries that don’t count. Like “watch 6 movies not made in the US, UK, Japan, or Italy” would probably accomplish the same basic goals and give a lot more wiggle room. Or even just “X non English movies” even if that still leaves room for someone to watch all giallos or Japanese films to fill it if they were so inclined.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 18, 2023

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Oops All Frankensteins meta category about creation resentment or just watching six Frankenstein movies

Sixteen :colbert:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i watched The Visitor last night and aside from having no idea what actually happened, the whole premise (a man finds a series of paintings that look exactly like him) was undercut by some pretty bad prop design (it looks nothing fucken like him)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I mean sort of riffing off STAC goat but a meta-challenge like “write X many reviews through a feminist lens” is a great idea and can be expanded on. gently caress yeah I’d do RED SCARE (X many movies through a Marxist interpretive framework).

And then once we start having challenges in the review it’s a whole extra dial to turn. Write a review in verse or as a parody/filk song. Write the review as serialized reactions, like a collected live tweet. You can’t pick the next challenge you do, it’s fully randomized. The first letter of the next movie has to be the same as the last letter of the old movie (Nosferatu > Urban Legends). Both of those last two at the same time.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

A couple of years ago Fran included a challenge connected to some other challenge elsewhere about drawing. And I decided to go the extra mile and draw something for the challenge. And I thought that would make a very cool challenge idea. But I also think something like that is probably too much because it demands a level of work or artistic expression that everyone just won’t want to do or feel comfortable doing.

At some point making every kid in school take part in the school play is just cruel towards the kids who can’t sing or really don’t like performing.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

"Watch films with less than 100 Letterboxd reviews" has been a fun personal challenge for finding some obscure films I've enjoyed both old and new. Sometimes it's just junk but there's good stuff out there so maybe that's a fun meta challenge?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I think the solution is to have a ungodly amount of possible challenges so even the 31 movie ppl can pick and chose. There are enough weirdos ITT, such as myself, who like coming up with these things. Spreadsheets and poo poo!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The heart of the October Challenge is simply watching 31 horror movies of your choice. I think the whole thing is more inviting and inclusive when that's the main focus, you've climbed Mount Everest when you've watched 31 horror movies in 31 days(and posted about them!). For me the bonus challenges came in as like an extra difficult route up the mountain that some of us decide to do to keep things fresh and fun after many years of doing this.

So maybe I'm old school that way, but that's why I thought of the challenges as a truly optional add-on to the event. I don't want people to feel like if they don't complete them all they've failed, it shouldn't be an all or nothing thing. Maybe I'm out of touch in thinking that though, I don't want to go with too many challenges if it makes people feel overwhelmed or intimidated to participate.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

STAC Goat posted:

A couple of years ago Fran included a challenge connected to some other challenge elsewhere about drawing. And I decided to go the extra mile and draw something for the challenge. And I thought that would make a very cool challenge idea. But I also think something like that is probably too much because it demands a level of work or artistic expression that everyone just won’t want to do or feel comfortable doing.

At some point making every kid in school take part in the school play is just cruel towards the kids who can’t sing or really don’t like performing.

Yeah the downside would be that completionists are gonna have a hard time with it. Which might actually be good if newcomers really are intimidated by too much completionism. Now there’s less expectation to do everything.

I would totally do reviews with a thematically related recipe.

gently caress I might just start doing that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The more I think about it the 6-6-6 plan that was brought up earlier might be the perfect middle ground. The Challenges of The Beast.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Same - enough so that I specifically haven't watched Saloum yet because I've been banking it for that category this year.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Funhouse is pretty fun. Guess I've gotta check out Death Count now.

cake bunny
Oct 29, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

Missing some of these :(

IT, ?, Shawshank, Dead Zone, Pet Sematary
?(The Mist??), Stand By Me, Carrie, Green Mile, Salem's Lot
Creepshow, ?(Flagg from The Stand?) Cujo, Thinner, Shining
Cell(?), Misery, Cristine, Firestarter, Silver Bullet

Top Row: It (Pennywise), Children of the Corn (Issac), The Shawshank Redemption (Andy Dufresne), The Dead Zone (Johnny Smith) , Pet Sematary (Victor Pascow and Church)
2nd Row: The Mist (Norm and tentacle monster), Stand by Me (Geordie Lachance), Carrie, The Green Mile (John Coffee), Salem's Lot (Richard Straker)
3rd Row: Creepshow (Jordy Verrill), The Stand (Randall Flagg), Cujo, Thinner (Billy Halleck), The Shining (Jack Torrance)
Bottom Row: ?, Misery (Annie Wilkes), Christine (Arnie Cunningham), Firestarter (Charlie McGee), Silver Bullet (Reverend Lowe)

That first one in the bottom row is driving me crazy.

Edit - Obvious solution is for me to spend the entire day rewatching every King adaptation ever made until I get it.

cake bunny fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 18, 2023

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

cake bunny posted:

Edit - Obvious solution is for me to spend the entire day rewatching every King adaptation ever made until I get it.

It's the guy from 1408, Cusack's character

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

cake bunny posted:

Top Row: It (Pennywise), Children of the Corn (Issac), The Shawshank Redemption (Andy Dufresne), The Dead Zone (Johnny Smith) , Pet Sematary (Victor Pascow and Church)
2nd Row: The Mist (Norm and tentacle monster), Stand by Me (Geordie Lachance), Carrie, The Green Mile (John Coffee), Salem's Lot (Richard Straker)
3rd Row: Creepshow (Jordy Verrill), The Stand (Randall Flagg), Cujo, Thinner (Billy Halleck), The Shining (Jack Torrance)
Bottom Row: ?, Misery (Annie Wilkes), Christine (Arnie Cunningham), Firestarter (Charlie McGee), Silver Bullet (Reverend Lowe)

Dont forget on bottom row: Guy from Sometimes They Come Back (Sometimes They Come Back)

cake bunny
Oct 29, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

It's the guy from 1408, Cusack's character

Thank you! I was hung up on it being John Cusack but couldn't think of a movie where he was wearing that shirt or would have a cigarette behind his ear. I guess I should finally watch 1408.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Dont forget on bottom row: Guy from Sometimes They Come Back (Sometimes They Come Back)

Nah, that one is Arnie from Christine. The punchable smirk gives it away.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

cake bunny posted:

Thank you! I was hung up on it being John Cusack but couldn't think of a movie where he was wearing that shirt or would have a cigarette behind his ear. I guess I should finally watch 1408.

It was the little recorder that did it for me, I knew it had to be some sort of writer or journalist character. Which of course doesn't narrow it down that much when it comes to King protagonists but still I got there in the end.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I got the Cusack one right away but got hung up on the mist one because I thought the guy looked like Dauber and I was thinking "but there's no tentacle monsters in The Stand?"

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Kind of sad that it didn't include one of the characters from Dreamcatcher

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

cake bunny posted:

Nah, that one is Arnie from Christine. The punchable smirk gives it away.

Ah poo poo, I think you're right!

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Basebf555 posted:

The heart of the October Challenge is simply watching 31 horror movies of your choice. I think the whole thing is more inviting and inclusive when that's the main focus, you've climbed Mount Everest when you've watched 31 horror movies in 31 days(and posted about them!). For me the bonus challenges came in as like an extra difficult route up the mountain that some of us decide to do to keep things fresh and fun after many years of doing this.

So maybe I'm old school that way, but that's why I thought of the challenges as a truly optional add-on to the event. I don't want people to feel like if they don't complete them all they've failed, it shouldn't be an all or nothing thing. Maybe I'm out of touch in thinking that though, I don't want to go with too many challenges if it makes people feel overwhelmed or intimidated to participate.

There should be an entry level newbie challenge, it simply involves watching one Friday the 13th/Halloween/Nightmare movie each day in October (Ending on a double-bill to celebrate the big day)

It is a total travesty that their are only 12 Friday movies when 13 Halloween movies exist.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

God I love slasher movies

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
For October challenges, I'm in favor of:
-more challenges that incorporate the option of rewatches;
-at least a few challenges that can apply to multiple films (like how May allowed the decades/countries challenges to double up on the more specific ones);
-anything that lets people set their own goals but still feel like part of the challenge (whether that's some incremental goals/tiers/etc.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I like the sound of 18 challenges split up into three different categories. It's pretty straightforward and is a reasonable amount to keep track of.

Really though regardless of the number I think the big thing is announcing them towards the start. That was what I liked best about Spooky Bingo so I'm glad you're planning on keeping that aspect of it going forward even if the format of the challenges is going to be a little different.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I just like the challenges so if there was still 31 and the tiers were something like 6-6-6, and 13-13-5 that would be cool too.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think the main problem is that it lays it a little too bare how lame and played out the slasher concept is.

This. The movies feel more like kill compilations than anything else, with the 2nd one being an improvement because it leans harder into dreamy fantasy in between murders.

I think the actor that plays Art is fantastic and emotes all kinds of off-putting silliness and true menace.

The misogyny, tho, is kinda undeniable. There is no way to watch someone gleefully dismember naked women without feeling like (I’ll frame this in “i” statements) I am watching something wrong. I think that’s intentional, I think the people making the films are just embracing the movie magic and reveling in sleaze as genre, and I think that’s part of the appeal (both films have scenes that cross some kind of line that exists in my head). It happens to also be why I would never show it to my girlfriend or anyone sensitive to portrayals of violence against women. However, I do “like” the 2nd movie.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
edit: Nevermind someone is doing it. I'll message them about the 6 6 6.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 19, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The first one is def bad and is very much the gross boobs and blood misogyny stuff. But I do really think that the second one does a better job at not doing that. The only sexual violence art throws down is the when he shoves the knife tip into the dudes penis lol

I also don’t see a single thing wrong with a cool effects reel movie. Gore and practical effects are probably near the top of why I love horror so much.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah the real question though is there going to be a 6 6 6 gang tag that people can get.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

gang gang

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Hollismason posted:

edit: Nevermind someone is doing it. I'll message them about the 6 6 6.

I'm confused isn't the guy who's doing it Basebf555? He started this whole conversation and has been giving his thoughts in this thread already.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Flying Zamboni posted:

Really though regardless of the number I think the big thing is announcing them towards the start. That was what I liked best about Spooky Bingo so I'm glad you're planning on keeping that aspect of it going forward even if the format of the challenges is going to be a little different.

I should have included this in my list, too. The first I did the October challenge the Spooky Bingo board didn't drop until mid-October, and movies weren't allowed to count retroactively, so it was a really scramble for completionists.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Horror movies, so good! Pop pop pop! Gang gang, very nice, horror movies, so good!

Hollismason posted:

Yeah the real question though is there going to be a 6 6 6 gang tag that people can get.

If only there was some threadshitter who could orchestrate such a thing! :science::cthulhu:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ve cream man so good mm mm

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Watching a favorite, Dead & Buried, and thinking that my favorite flavor of horror might be "small town where everyone's in on it." Growing up in New England, the small coastal town as a predatory monster is completely my vibe.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Watching a favorite, Dead & Buried, and thinking that my favorite flavor of horror might be "small town where everyone's in on it." Growing up in New England, the small coastal town as a predatory monster is completely my vibe.

my favourite is small town where something slowly takes over and turns all of its residents to its side. vampires, pod people, whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I stayed in a place called rockport when i went down to ma last year and it was pretty cool. New England ain't new to spooky movies, but ngl I wanna do something there.