Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Arch Nemesis posted:

been reading Book of the New Sun instead of gaming a bunch. I just finished the Ascian's story, cool that it's basically a better and more succinct Darmok

The translation starting with "once upon a time..." is great.

I started watching Initial D and it's so good. I don't know poo poo about cars or street racing but somehow a bunch of drift racing down the same mountain road hasn't gotten old yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Re: Columbo, just wait until you get to the Leonard Nimoy episode, he's so good

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

im a sucker for the dick van dyke episode. he's great

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i will not rephrase that

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

mbt posted:

im... great
wow bro, be more humble

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mbt posted:

i will not rephrase that

lol

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Need a new anime. How does Yu Yu Hakusho hold up?

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Poppers posted:

it's still hard as gently caress, it resonated more with me as an adult than as a kid. i teared up a couple times when everyone's morning yusuke and i was really surprised how engaged i was by the characters of the dark tournament. an all-timer imo

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Poppers posted:

10/10 and my favorite dub of all time

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

10/10 and my favorite dub of all time

oh yeah. i will almost alwayss pick the manga over anime but the dub is fantastic

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Poppers posted:

i just watched it all a few months ago it rules.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Kuwabara ftmfw

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Poppers posted:

great, final arc is the final arc but everything else is great

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Love a consensus pick :cheers: Will be starting soon

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Looked for Kids on the Slope again on a whim and it was actually in the iTunes Store, had a weird little warning about it not being in English but I get it and it’s the dub, no option to switch the audio and use subtitles or anything wtf

Watched a little bit of the first ep and the VOs sounded terrible

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

We listen to KMHD the local jazz station all day every day at work and it rules, jazz ftw

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Leadthumb posted:

Kuwabara ftmfw

Kuwabara Kuwabara.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

Kuwabara Kuwabara.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

Kuwabara Kuwabara.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I took a break after Dark Tournament, honestly don't know how you can follow that up

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

In Training posted:

Kuwabara Kuwabara.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

In Training posted:

Kuwabara Kuwabara.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Finished Book of the New Sun last night, been chewing it over. Loved the reveal on Vodalus' coin at the end. I like how much of it is breadcrumbed so you're guessing what he means, and wondering how much more is hidden there that I missed on first read.

There's a lot of really cool stuff like Ash's vanishing being melancholy in the moment but a very hopeful sign for the future. The book centers human misery on an incomprehensible scale but still has a hopeful outlook.

Obviously it's technically great and a masterpiece of storytelling. I'm debating going back and reading it again right away... fatigued on it by now, and it ends well, but it deserves a reread and I don't want to forget everything before reading it again.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
i would recommend reading the first chapter again but maybe not going whole hog lol. urth of the new sun also clears up a lot of stuff from the book, as well as having some of severian's best character moments.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
Really excited to get back to that series after my kafka reads. Got a friend hooked and he talks about it so I get to relive it a bit

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

HolePisser1982 posted:

feel sick from spending $200 on a giant frank frazetta artbook lol but it HAD to be done. would be an idiot to not have it :redass:

update: lmfao at how huge and loving heavy this book is. fifteen pounds lol, what the gently caress

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

HolePisser1982 posted:

update: lmfao at how huge and loving heavy this book is. fifteen pounds lol, what the gently caress

better art = more weight. simple

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

HolePisser1982 posted:

eventual opportunity to set up a sickass Home Alone trap that crushes a burglar's head into his chest cavity

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

HolePisser1982 posted:

get Conan-level swole by looking at art of Conan

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

HolePisser1982 posted:

lol badass

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

This coffee table class book is rated to destroy small furniture up to and including coffee tables.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

ghosthorse posted:

get Conan-level swole by looking at art of Conan

lol this

copy
Jul 26, 2007

HolePisser1982 posted:

I got the tude now posted:

Leadthumb posted:

This coffee table class book is rated to destroy small furniture up to and including coffee tables.

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I got the tude now posted:

this.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

walking into a butcher shop and asking for 5 pounds of art

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol telling john powers his fingers on the scale

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fungah! posted:

lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fungah! posted:

Coincidentally this is also exactly how you commissioned Frank Frazetta back in the day

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Working our way through One Pace, in the middle of Arlon Park. We're enjoying it but the obviously cheaped out animation is a bummer, like a ship getting pulled into the ocean being truncated to a handful of still shots, none of them the actual sinking part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I can’t blow unless I see the ship sink.