Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Seems like you’re cherry-picking the worst examples and actually aren’t open to changing your mind? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I worry that spacesuit is going to permanently pry those buttcheeks apart

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The fingers thing is ultimately irrelevant because AI art becoming technically better doesn't change why people dislike it. Thinking that it'll be accepted once it reaches a certain quality level kinda exposes that you don't really "get" art.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

mycot posted:

The fingers thing is ultimately irrelevant because AI art becoming technically better doesn't change why people dislike it. Thinking that it'll be accepted once it reaches a certain quality level kinda exposes that you don't really "get" art.

Yeah, the labor concerns people have won't be alleviated by AI getting better at threatening jobs.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I think the question of what art is and whether ai creations can qualify, is separate from the labor concerns.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

DancingMachine posted:

the vast majority of game studio staff will just be asked to use better tools to make bigger better stuff for the foreseeable future.

Bigger, yes. Better, I'm not so sure. Don't gamers already complain about every game becoming a huge open-world slog of filler content?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Vegetable posted:

Seems like you’re cherry-picking the worst examples and actually aren’t open to changing your mind? :shrug:

it's not cherry picking when all the cherries have 6 fingers

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Vegetable posted:

Who cares what the good examples look like when basically every application of AI threatens laborand by extension normal people most of all for no meaningful gain?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I didn't read any of that poo poo.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

mycot posted:

Art competitions, including those where machine generated art has been banned, are regularly won by art wholly or in part generated by machines. Some have been cancelled indefinitely due to the difficulty in enforcing the rules.

The general public already accepts it.

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

Captain Oblivious posted:

Who cares what the good examples look like when basically every application of AI threatens laborand by extension normal people most of all for no meaningful gain?

A change in labor demand is not the problem. The problem is that people's actual lives (medical, food, shelter, etc) are threatened if they are put out of work. Avoid conflating the two.

For creative endeavors (which includes a great deal of "technical" work), AI might raise the floor, but it ain't no ceiling.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wouldnt an AI actually be better suited to replacing a CEO? AI is stronger at data analysis than anything else, right?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I mean, yes, obviously.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I said come in! posted:

Wouldnt an AI actually be better suited to replacing a CEO? AI is stronger at data analysis than anything else, right?

And you wouldn't have to pay them! Think of the cost savings.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Has Microsoft openly pledged to fix any of the working culture problems? I'm not expecting them to come out and say that they'll put locks on the breastfeeding rooms or fridges, but maybe someone has dropped hints that they'll fire some assholes?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

I said come in! posted:

This is how we all go extinct because human sludge helps increase rates of paperclip production

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
"no AI on steam" is kinda bogus, Vaudeville is p popular with streamers right now and has AI Voice Actors

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2240920/Vaudeville/

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
It’s very arbitrary right now. It looks more like Steam is following a weird “don’t ask don’t tell” policy

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

"no AI on steam" is kinda bogus, Vaudeville is p popular with streamers right now and has AI Voice Actors

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2240920/Vaudeville/

It might mean more like "this game is nothing but AI generated assets" vs "you can have a crumb of AI generated assets as a treat".

I haven't touched that, nor do I plan to. But I wonder how long it'd stay.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

They made it clear their issue is with the uncertain copyright status of AI generated images using models sourced from unlicenced datasets (which is most models)

If the various lawsuits against Stability and co end up going in the AI companies favor then Valve will immediately open the floodgates, they don't give a poo poo about low quality slop flooding Steam

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Most video game CEOs could be replaced with a moldy turnip, and the only difference you might notice is a marginal decrease in stupid policies that arbitrarily make the employees miserable.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

MH Knights posted:

Was the story about a trans woman being treated horribly at Zenimax Online Studios (ZOS), the studio that makes Elder Scrolls Online - not Bethesda proper*, posted yet? It really sucks as trans people have so few legal protections so depending on where the jurisdiction is ZOS could get away with this.

*I am going to guess Bethesda Game Studios is just as bad.

I found an article about this, in case you don't have time to watch a four hour video.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

SilentChaz posted:

I found an article about this, in case you don't have time to watch a four hour video.

yeah no locking her out of her work accounts is absolute horseshit from the IT dickheads at ZeniMax - I worked a data access control role at Microsoft before the pandemic and that should be no different than someone doing a bog standard username or alias change unless Bethesda has something completely stupid in their RBAC architecture. Unless no one in the company has ever needed to change their working alias (which, while possible, would mean no one put in name changes when they were married, there were no name conflicts with employees, no one was unlucky enough to get cunthorped, etc..) this problem would have occurred before, presumably at a fairly regular frequency.

That's not even going into the deadnaming bullshit people were pulling as well, which there's not even a veneer of a defense for.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Unfortunately, this sort of transphobic bullshit isn't too surprising. I was jerked around by HR for 6 months on my name change, yet they were somehow instantly able to change a colleague's name same day when she was married. It was only when lawyers started to be mentioned did it suddenly seem to work itself out. In this case, it's absolutely not that the people at Bethesda couldn't change her name- they just didn't want to.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
James Stephanie Sterling also made a summary video about that bullshit that was going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko8khiV3C4Y

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Polygon posted:

Blizzard’s bringing its PC games to Steam, starting with Overwatch 2

:cawg:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

It'll still require battle.net, surely?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

repiv posted:

They made it clear their issue is with the uncertain copyright status of AI generated images using models sourced from unlicenced datasets (which is most models)

If the various lawsuits against Stability and co end up going in the AI companies favor then Valve will immediately open the floodgates, they don't give a poo poo about low quality slop flooding Steam

exactly.

quote:

"We are continuing to learn about AI, the ways it can be used in game development, and how to factor it in to our process for reviewing games submitted for distribution on Steam. Our priority, as always, is to try to ship as many of the titles we receive as we can. The introduction of AI can sometimes make it harder to show a developer has sufficient rights in using AI to create assets, including images, text, and music. In particular, there is some legal uncertainty relating to data used to train AI models. It is the developer's responsibility to make sure they have the appropriate rights to ship their game.

"We know it is a constantly evolving tech, and our goal is not to discourage the use of it on Steam; instead, we're working through how to integrate it into our already-existing review policies. Stated plainly, our review process is a reflection of current copyright law and policies, not an added layer of our opinion. As these laws and policies evolve over time, so will our process.

"We welcome and encourage innovation, and AI technology is bound to create new and exciting experiences in gaming. While developers can use these AI technologies in their work with appropriate commercial licenses, they can not infringe on existing copyrights.

"Lastly, while App-submission credits are usually non-refundable, we're more than happy to offer them in these cases as we continue to work on our review process."

Veotax
May 16, 2006

THE BAR posted:

It'll still require battle.net, surely?

It won't launch battle.net or a mini version of it, apparently. Supposedly it'll juat need you to sign into your battle.net account in game.

Probably the same as the eventual Gamepass version, once the MS deal is complete.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Veotax posted:

It won't launch battle.net or a mini version of it, apparently. Supposedly it'll juat need you to sign into your battle.net account in game.

Probably the same as the eventual Gamepass version, once the MS deal is complete.

Oh that's.. progressive? I'd really like to play the Anno games again, but the fact I have to bust out Uplay or whatever makes it not feel worth the bother, so them bypassing battle.net like that is neat and all.

Shame it's in the service of a game no one plays!

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

THE BAR posted:

Oh that's.. progressive? I'd really like to play the Anno games again, but the fact I have to bust out Uplay or whatever makes it not feel worth the bother, so them bypassing battle.net like that is neat and all.

Shame it's in the service of a game no one plays!

They're probably trying to see if steam will juice their numbers

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Yeah, for sure.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

leper khan posted:

They're probably trying to see if steam will juice their numbers

Unfortunately for them Steams player numbers are public so if it bombs everyone will know

Blizzard are careful to hide when their games are in decline (they stopped reporting WoW sub counts after 2015) but they can't opt-out in Steam

repiv fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 20, 2023

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

They can explain that with all the Steam users migrating to battle.net proper, of course!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The Steam OW2 numbers are going to mean nothing since at this point 99.999% of anyone who wanted to play OW2 on PC is already playing it on battle.net.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

nah, they'll be a clear indicator of how pathetic of a move it was, which is extremely useful for the purposes of mockery

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Lemon-Lime posted:

The Steam OW2 numbers are going to mean nothing since at this point 99.999% of anyone who wanted to play OW2 on PC is already playing it on battle.net.

OW2 is free to play, right? If you could just download the Steam version and sign in to your account and get everything you paid for on battle.net, I could see a good number of people moving over if they already use Steam for other things. Not a majority of the players, or whatever, but a decent number.

I probably would, if I played the game.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There's probably some people who'll move over, and depending on how it works with Linux (I know some people got it running on there already) there's probably at least some Steam Deck users who'll jump in. As well as people who realise the actual Bnet launcher is probably being discontinued at some point.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, Microsoft killed the Bethesda launcher after that purchase, didn't they?
Can't see battle.net sticking around unless someone makes a really good case for it. Or I don't see new games going to it, or being exclusive to it at the very least, from here on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It depends how heavily stuff is tied into it, World of Warcraft might just always need its own launcher, but I'd expect there to be a migration or merging of Battle.net and Microsoft accounts within 2 years.