Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Corb3t posted:

This meme really speaks to me. Only thing it's really missing is true Markdown support + Exporting, which can be solved with ProNotes and Exporter for macOS.

oh my lord lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've been using OneNote for years and have mostly no complaints except sometimes it just straight up won't update changes between my PC and iPhone. But usually it works as intended!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The main issue with apple notes is if you leave autocorrect on and you paste a shell command. Who knows what you're gonna get.

It's also prone to converting to directional quotes or turning double hyphens into em dashes. It really needs a code block feature.

Other than that it's pretty great.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Corb3t posted:

This meme really speaks to me. Only thing it's really missing is true Markdown support + Exporting, which can be solved with ProNotes and Exporter for macOS.

haha goddamn this hits

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Wow, Anki. That’s something I forgot existed.

I remember buying the official app for like $20 or something as a poor college student. It’s awesome. It really helped me with learning and retaining poo poo in college.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’ve been piddling around with Obsidian and it’s pretty neat. Idk about this mind garden stuff, those people are insane.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve only ever bothered using Notes beyond a brief fling with Evernote back before iCloud was a thing, but now I’m stuck working out which side of the curve I’m on and I don’t think I’m gonna like the answer.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I would love something like Anki, except maybe not Anki. iOS native primarily, Mac OS is nice, Windows support is a plus but if that’s done via web version (or not at all), that’s okay too. Free is cool, low cost is fine.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’ve only ever bothered using Notes beyond a brief fling with Evernote back before iCloud was a thing, but now I’m stuck working out which side of the curve I’m on and I don’t think I’m gonna like the answer.

I'm 100% on the left side and my wife is 100% on the right side. After like a loving decade of marriage we started a couple joint notes for random poo poo like monthly discretionary spending and poo poo we need to buy at the store. I made the first drafts and it was like:

* bread
* diet coke
* those crackers you like
* soup

and then she got her hands on it and all of a sudden it had like formatting and a no bullshit table and poo poo.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I used Notes, briefly Evernote, back to Notes, then Notion for the last year or so.

Notion is not perfect and I’m not sure I’d recommend it, but it mostly fits my needs. I superhate I can’t paste ‘as plain text’ in most apps and I usually end up pasting my text into some random website to strip the formatting out.

That would be a good shortcut, if possible - convert clipboard to plain text.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL
Biggest draw for Obsidian is the Markdown format and it is just text files on my local drives. Apple Notes is not and I’d be reliant upon Apple hardware. I don’t believe Apple Notes can be exported and future proofed the same way.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm 100% on the left side and my wife is 100% on the right side. After like a loving decade of marriage we started a couple joint notes for random poo poo like monthly discretionary spending and poo poo we need to buy at the store. I made the first drafts and it was like:

* bread
* diet coke
* those crackers you like
* soup

and then she got her hands on it and all of a sudden it had like formatting and a no bullshit table and poo poo.

You should set her loose in shared reminders with smart tags - iOS 17 even lets you automatically sort a grocery list items by grocery section.

Queer Grenadier posted:

Biggest draw for Obsidian is the Markdown format and it is just text files on my local drives. Apple Notes is not and I’d be reliant upon Apple hardware. I don’t believe Apple Notes can be exported and future proofed the same way.

There’s no getting around being reliant on Apple hardware - thankfully us MacBook users just use something free like Exporter if they want to export them to Markdown. Apple should definitely add something natively, though.

I like Obsidian and spent a few weeks organizing a bunch of notes, but found myself messing with formatting and extensions way too much, went back to Notes for work-related note-taking and never looked back - simply tagging and creating smart folders for my notes was much faster and organized without monkeying around too much with things.

Now that I’ve got a system figured out with smart tags and smart folders in both Reminders and Notes, it’s hard to put forth any more effort than just assigning a few simple tags and leaving it at that. Some people have some really slick Obsidian setups, though.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 18, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
What’s the catch with Obsidian, no IAP, free..

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

priznat posted:

Cloud syncing your library was a bit finicky for me over iCloud, they offer their own paid syncing service. There are ways to sync with other cloud services though.

Technically Obsidian didn’t offer a convenient way to natively export your documents. I’m not sure if that’s changed but it was the case last year when I used it - yes, they’re text files, but you lose the back linking and other metadata associated with your obsidian files.

To get the full usage of Obsidian, it takes a little more work to learn how to do back links and such. If you're familiar with HTML and Markdown, you'll feel right at home in Obsidian making Table of Contents and linking to other documents, if that's something you're looking to do.

For me, I just think Notes is a little easier to pick up and feel like a “power user” - tags + smart folders are simple but powerful. Totally understand many users need to be able to access their notes from non-Apple devices, though - is iCloud.com that bad?

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 18, 2023

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

priznat posted:

it’s an ugly motherfucker

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Obsidian is for nerds.

I say that respectfully.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

priznat posted:

They sell a couple optional subscription services.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
There’s a post in SHSC about obsidian but the op got banned.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
it's my theory that everyone who uses poo poo like Obsidian doesn't actually get any work done and just spends all day tweaking Obsidian and linking stupid notes they've written about ways to enhance productivity and build a second brain together

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

maduin posted:

it's my theory that everyone who uses poo poo like Obsidian doesn't actually get any work done and just spends all day tweaking Obsidian and linking stupid notes they've written about ways to enhance productivity and build a second brain together

90% are this
5% are geniuses who were already hyper organized finally being able to apply that
5% just use the app and one to three of its features

I was definitely the 90% with a number of these apps for a bit

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
And I’m not a hyper organized genius

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The keyboard in the Notes app on my iPhone has no Tab key. It does on my iPad. This is occasionally a problem.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The keyboard in the Notes app on my iPhone has no Tab key. It does on my iPad. This is occasionally a problem.

Remember that brief moment where the keyboards had edit buttons I miss that so bad

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

I use Obsidian to save highlights from reading using Readwise. I mainly use it as a Daily Note to journal in the morning and evening, with a log of key moments throughout my day. Sometimes I’ll find connections, use it as a dream journal, find patterns. I can also use it as a todo list that comes up during journaling.

I love that it’s future proof, and as I get older the connections I can make only grows in exponential value potential.

So, eh. I enjoy it and find it useful. Why not?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Skeezy posted:

I use Apple Mail and it’s been fine. I use it with Gmail but I just stopped caring about getting emails instantly. Most of it is trash that’s not important.

It’s gotten to a point where I’m considering just ditching Gmail for iCloud Mail. Maybe I will but not sure.

I've gone back and forth between Apple Mail and Outlook and I'm ready to try something besides Apple Mail again. Lately it's been insisting I have unread emails when I don't, or I do and it just refuses to pull them from Outlook and Gmail. Then it won't update the read status so I have to do that later on my computer.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

You have other options if you’d like, Spark, Canary, Gmail, Edison Mail.

IMO it’s worthless to find a good email app. There’s always something with these apps and eventually I just settle on whatever is the cheapest/easiest ultimately.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Oddly enough, I find myself liking Spark on iOS and Apple Mail on macOS currently. It's a real bummer the iOS version of Mail doesn't have Smart Mailboxes.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I like the idea of safari’s reader mode feature but don’t particularly care for using safari for reasons unknown. Is there an app that has similar functionality that’s decent? Is that just instapaper? Doesn’t have to be a “read it later” type thing or a service, just opening the URL and showing the page is plenty.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Warbird posted:

I like the idea of safari’s reader mode feature but don’t particularly care for using safari for reasons unknown. Is there an app that has similar functionality that’s decent? Is that just instapaper? Doesn’t have to be a “read it later” type thing or a service, just opening the URL and showing the page is plenty.

Here's a bookmarklet that makes use of Mozilla's Readability.js.

javascript:Promise.all([import('https://unpkg.com/@tehshrike/readability@0.2.0')]).then(async ([{default: Readability}]) => document.body.innerHTML = new Readability(document.cloneNode(true)).parse().content)

Save this link as a bookmark then edit the address it points to so it contains the code above:
Run Readability.js

Warning this enables arbitrary js execution from unpkg.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Don’t most browsers have a reader mode?

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

For todo list / task manager:

Do any of you all use Things 3 or Apple Reminders? Perhaps a combination of both?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Queer Grenadier posted:

For todo list / task manager:

Do any of you all use Things 3 or Apple Reminders? Perhaps a combination of both?

Things for all my personal things, TickTick for shared lists because my partner likes it and Things still doesn't support sharing

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Task managers are another rabbit hole that I don’t want to go down. Just like notes I stick to the Apple stuff so reminders does what I need to do.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

Skeezy posted:

Task managers are another rabbit hole that I don’t want to go down. Just like notes I stick to the Apple stuff so reminders does what I need to do.

Totally get it. I’m circling the hole, see below.

101 posted:

Things for all my personal things, TickTick for shared lists because my partner likes it and Things still doesn't support sharing

Thanks for sharing! Have you tried Reminders out lately? If Things had location based reminders and integrated as well with Siri-based entry on the go I’d use it for the UI alone.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Yeah I’ve tried and tried to do even the most minimal weekly check-in / GTD task management for Things and I simply cannot set aside enough time every day/week to sort all my tasks into useful categories, and I never ever remember to check it when I’m in a new context or whatever.

About time I gave it up and just reverted to lots of Reminders lists, where I can at least use location-based notifications to get my stupid brain to remember things.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

how is the siri integration with those other apps?

Because it's convenient as hell to just slap my watch and say "set a reminder to do that thing at 7pm on thursday"

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Skeezy posted:

Obsidian is for nerds.

I say that respectfully.

Tools like obsidian really ride this fine line of useful tool versus something i have to spend too much time fidgeting with to get juuuuust so.

See also: emacs config, desktop window managers on Linux, terminal configs.

I’ve learned my lesson and stay away. They just nerd snipe me.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cyrano4747 posted:

how is the siri integration with those other apps?

Because it's convenient as hell to just slap my watch and say "set a reminder to do that thing at 7pm on thursday"

With TickTick it's like "tell TickTick to remind me to gently caress my rear end at 7 pm on Thursday"

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

mawarannahr posted:

With TickTick it's like "tell TickTick to remind me to gently caress my rear end at 7 pm on Thursday"

You'll want to set that up as a repeating task

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

I recently moved out of Things and back into Reminders. I liked Things simplicity and markdown support but it was just turning into a black hole for me. I also found it a bit too simple for my needs.

I use the RemindMeFaster app to quickly input tasks into Reminders. Once you get used to swiping around it's super duper easy to dump a bunch of tasks in quickly.