Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeuzbAsvDB0

Some beautiful onboard video of a Panoz Esperante GTR-1 from one of the support historical races at Le Mans this year. Turn the sound up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiSNo35k5dA

E: And onboard from a Toyota GT-One from the same race

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Do you think we'll ever see the Audi diesels in historic/support races, or do you think VAG memory-holed anything related to diesel and they'll never see light of day again?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Finger Prince posted:

Do you think we'll ever see the Audi diesels in historic/support races, or do you think VAG memory-holed anything related to diesel and they'll never see light of day again?

There are only 2 R10 TDIs that are in private hands, the two cars Kolles ran. One sold last year and is apparently in full racing condition, so might pop up in HSR/SVRA some day.

https://www.artandrevs.com/car.php?id=632

There is also only one R15 and one R18 in private hands, both changed hands last year too. The more recent the cars get though, the more difficult they would be to run without full engine swaps or factory support.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cygni posted:

There are only 2 R10 TDIs that are in private hands, the two cars Kolles ran. One sold last year and is apparently in full racing condition, so might pop up in HSR/SVRA some day.

https://www.artandrevs.com/car.php?id=632

There is also only one R15 and one R18 in private hands, both changed hands last year too. The more recent the cars get though, the more difficult they would be to run without full engine swaps or factory support.

Well I'm sure that folks like JMB are keeping an eye on the historic car auctions to see if they can get their hands on one of the more recent Audis, especially one with a Le Mans win under its belt. I believe the R18 is as of yet unsold as it is not under the "Sold" category. As it's in a race-ready configuration the pricetag is probably millions of dollars though, so it might be a while before it gets sold off and sees a track again.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

orange juche posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeuzbAsvDB0

Some beautiful onboard video of a Panoz Esperante GTR-1 from one of the support historical races at Le Mans this year. Turn the sound up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiSNo35k5dA

E: And onboard from a Toyota GT-One from the same race

Quoting this to save for later, holy moly

Finger Prince posted:

Nah, there are Peugeots of similar vintage out there running. Those might be the last LMP1s that run without factory aid, once you get to the hybrids they start to get much tougher to run without support (and I don’t think any had customer teams even in period).

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

harperdc posted:

Nah, there are Peugeots of similar vintage out there running. Those might be the last LMP1s that run without factory aid, once you get to the hybrids they start to get much tougher to run without support (and I don’t think any had customer teams even in period).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2Tp72huM7s

Heres a 20ish minute onboard from Spa a month ago, same guy driving.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

Yeah I don't think there's any consumer LMP1 after the Kolles R10s and Oreca and Pescarolo 908s, both of course not hybrid.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

God drat that GTR-1 sounds good fuckkkkkk, gently caress me with your 6 litre cross-plane V8 daddy

This is what I get for getting drunk and then rewatching that video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIDgA2TJqWA

and the actual race broadcast from that support race, the fact that they found a 333SP to run is amazing

orange juche fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 18, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Panoz' sound is the stuff of legends.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I love that first the Panoz, then the Vipers and Corvettes have held a special place in the hearts of the Le Mans live crowd as big, honking :911: bellowing beasts

distilled into the form of the NASCAR Garage 56 car this year, of course. hell, it's why the ACO insisted on the NASCAR-style pit stops.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Someone has made a shirt for the lmp3 driver crowd

https://twitter.com/GenericRacer/status/1682041705317695490

shadowzero313
Feb 6, 2009
Beautiful day to watch drag racing

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I went to the firematic races this evening always a great time and there's racecars.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

shadowzero313 posted:

Beautiful day to watch drag racing

oh did you make it out to Pacific Raceways? I was hiding in a ticketbooth next to the actual ticketbooth

shadowzero313
Feb 6, 2009

coconono posted:

oh did you make it out to Pacific Raceways? I was hiding in a ticketbooth next to the actual ticketbooth

yeah. i don't think i've seen the entire road course used as an extended pit like that in a long time.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

shadowzero313 posted:

yeah. i don't think i've seen the entire road course used as an extended pit like that in a long time.

I really love the visuals of this track but from an event standpoint it needs so much work. We're lucky we finish before sundown because this place would be a nightmare to get racefans out at night.

https://goo.gl/maps/A1DV8z3hfPcZN4vu8

for those who aren't sure what we're talking about. Its a beautifully wooded facility but it hasn't seen a tech refresh since the 90s.

shadowzero313
Feb 6, 2009

coconono posted:

I really love the visuals of this track but from an event standpoint it needs so much work. We're lucky we finish before sundown because this place would be a nightmare to get racefans out at night.

https://goo.gl/maps/A1DV8z3hfPcZN4vu8

for those who aren't sure what we're talking about. Its a beautifully wooded facility but it hasn't seen a tech refresh since the 90s.

we're all lucky they finish before sundown because i think shutting down racing early and the once a month quiet days are the main reasons they haven't been shutdown by the fools that move next to a racecar track without realizing its loud there quite often. i'm finally starting to feel safe that they're good now that the racing business park is actually getting built and filled up before each building gets done.

i really do miss drag racing deep into the night though

shadowzero313 fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 23, 2023

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yeah I heard some oldtimer stories about dudes ramping minivans on the dirtbike track next to the drag strip.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

coconono posted:

yeah I heard some oldtimer stories about dudes ramping minivans on the dirtbike track next to the drag strip.

Rental minivans, surely.

What’s the difference between a Jeep and a rental car? :haw:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I don’t have to fill out a dozen forms when I flip a Jeep?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

Rental minivans, surely.

What’s the difference between a Jeep and a rental car? :haw:

You find out pretty quick when the police are behind you.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1unZQeG5H4

some V12 for your ear holes, apparently Darren Turner was behind the wheel for the race. He was one of the drivers during the 2007 and 2008 season when Aston Martin won the GT1 class categories at Le Mans.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 28, 2023

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Is this the first IMSA race with the Proton 963?

Blomqvist making a late surge here on Nasr

edit: Ben Keating gang we are so back

curried lamb of God fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 6, 2023

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

curried lamb of God posted:

Is this the first IMSA race with the Proton 963?

Blomqvist making a late surge here on Nasr

edit: Ben Keating gang we are so back

Hell yeah can't wait to watch later. The proton 963 debuted at the WEC Monza race but this is its first IMSA outing.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Super GT last night was an excellent race. Multiple weather switches caused really tight decision making, there were several harmless but deeply race-altering incidents, and it all came down to the last few turns in the end. If folks here don't usually keep up with that series I might post a little summary with pictures later.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ohtori Akio posted:

Super GT last night was an excellent race. Multiple weather switches caused really tight decision making, there were several harmless but deeply race-altering incidents, and it all came down to the last few turns in the end. If folks here don't usually keep up with that series I might post a little summary with pictures later.

Please do - I don’t think any rain struck in the big city yesterday but I wouldn’t be surprised there was rain at the track. Super GT owns, I should try and get to either Motegi this fall or Fuji again next spring.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Yeah the Super GT race was fantastic.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Where's the best place to watch Super GT? It sounds like a fascinating series and I love the old school JGTC cars in Gran Turismo

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

curried lamb of God posted:

Where's the best place to watch Super GT? It sounds like a fascinating series and I love the old school JGTC cars in Gran Turismo

I think motorsport.tv has it

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It used to be on YouTube? Or has that changed?

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

algebra testes posted:

It used to be on YouTube? Or has that changed?

There are archived races commented in Japanese on Youtube. For English commentary, I used Motorsport tv.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Racing related, if a bit late, my brother in law knows how much I love endurance racing, and for my first father's day, managed to find this officially licensed 24 Hour Le Mans kit I never would have known existed! Pretty badass little shelf decoration, I hope they add to the roster.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/porsche-963-76916

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Here is the promised summary.

For the unaware, Super GT runs two classes on the track at the same time: GT300 and GT500. GT300 are essentially GT3 cars with some assorted factory entries, and GT500 are significantly more powerful silhouette racers that run laps on the GT300 cars. I mostly care about GT300.

The "good guys" this time around included on pole position, my race viewing buddy's favorite, the Goodsmile Racing Hatsune Miku Mercedes-AMG GT3:

And starting in P2, my favorite, the factory Subaru BRZ with a comically large rear diffuser:

Among the bad guys, starting at P3 and who I will not scrub through qualifying to find a cool shot of, the GAINER TANAX Nissan GT-R:

Because of how Super GT works, you're given ballast based on your performance in the race immediately prior. So, if someone qualifies well, they're generally not carrying much ballast, and will put down pretty good times. The Miku Benz on pole was carrying just 6 kg for example, compared to the M4 that won the prior race which carried 75kg ballast.

Our race began quite damp with a good deal of spray. It was a standing start under safety car, as compared to the typical parade lap into rolling start. I like the various rolling starts because I prefer a race to not immediately be red flagged.

The Miku Benz lost the lead early on a mistake but regained it by lap 7 after some quality wheel to wheel racing with the BRZ and GT-R. By the fourth lap, the GT500 Niterra Z that had started a few positions behind had taken the lead.

Around lap 9, the track got dry enough that pits for slicks began. Super GT is a multiple-driver series that mandates four pit stops, and no driver can run more than two-thirds of the race. So, generally you also change drivers with your tires. After the first pit, the Niterra Z had lost a few positions, and I began to tune out the GT500 race. The Miku Benz sat on the lead for a good long while after pit, with the Gainer GT-R around P3 and my beloved BRZ well behind around P10.

At about a third of the distance, things got interesting again: a Supra lost a chunk of their exhaust system and caught on fire. The driver got out just fine, and the safety car came out and bunched our race back up.

The safety car came back in after a few laps, and the GT500 Supras took over the leading positions, with the Niterra Z back in P4. The Miku Benz held on to its lead through that drama, followed by a Huracan I find too ugly to take a screenshot of.

Another pit interval came up, and the GT500 Supra wall was even stronger, with them commanding the top 3 positions and the Niterra Z just behind. Things settled into a comfortable routine, until lap 66, when another GT300 car caught on fire. Again, the driver was safe, but the race stoppage was much longer as the fire was not put out quickly.

That can didn't quite do the trick. I really got a kick out of how close to the action all the spectators were throughout this, by the way - you'd have a major incident like that and see fans tailgating what seems like twenty feet away.

In any case, a red flag came out. While the race was stopped, of course, it started pouring rain again, and then after about an hour-long stoppage we had a soaking wet track just like the start:

Shortly after that business, the Miku Benz blundered again in the wet and gave up a couple positions to a pair of Nissans. In GT500, the Niterra Z started its climb back up, claiming the lead in lap 75. Near lap 80, we began to see risky decision-making to move to slicks off of wet tires, and for quite a few laps it seemed to be a bad decision. There was a lovely battle for the lead between the Miku Benz and the Gainer GT-R, with Miku having the pace but Gainer successfully holding things up for quite a while. The successful move came out of the straight, as the Miku Benz held onto more speed along the fast line and the Gainer failed to block.

By this point, the Niterra Z had managed to take the lead over the Supras in GT500, though I can't say it was as exciting as GT300. An NSX did its best to try some fancy moves and was not rewarded for the effort:

Around this time, we began to see more cars move to slicks, in what still appeared to be a risky maneuver, but a reasonable one for the backmarkers. My beloved Subaru was steadily making up ground. Ten laps before the end, the race-leading Miku Benz pitted for slicks, and most of the field followed suit.

On its first lap out of the pits, however, the Miku Benz drove directly into the wall. Things were looking distinctly up for Subaru, who had chosen to not pit for slicks. I felt much like Mr. Yamauchi.

However, it wasn't to be. The slicks strategy turned out to be right after all, and the extra pace put the Gainer GT-R up over the Subaru with a pair of laps to go. A podium seemed within reach, until my beloved BRZ spun on the final lap. The Miku Benz was well back.

The Niterra Z held on beautifully for a class win in GT500, and the Gainer GT-R earned its GT300 trophy.

Wonderful race, and death to Nissan.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It sounds like both GT300 GR Supras that caught fire had the same problem, as both cars are built by Tsuchiya. They run the car that really caught fire, and unsurprisingly are likely to miss the rest of this year due to repairs and rebuilding the #25 Hoppy car.

And yeah, the corner/wall where that fire happened is right near a driver safety center at Fuji Speedway that gets used for parking on race weekends. Parked there for WEC last year.

The Subaru is a funny case - you would imagine a factory team would just stomp all the GT3 privateers, but it’s never been the case. I think part of that is car design but part is the tires, there aren’t many others on Dunlop and they only have the single car, so data limitation is probably an issue.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

harperdc posted:

It sounds like both GT300 GR Supras that caught fire had the same problem, as both cars are built by Tsuchiya. They run the car that really caught fire, and unsurprisingly are likely to miss the rest of this year due to repairs and rebuilding the #25 Hoppy car.

Coming from F1, it hadn't occurred to me that in smaller series, when your car burns down that's your car gone! No extra simply waiting to be flown out from the factory. Any idea what that part that flew off is specifically?

quote:

And yeah, the corner/wall where that fire happened is right near a driver safety center at Fuji Speedway that gets used for parking on race weekends. Parked there for WEC last year.

The Subaru is a funny case - you would imagine a factory team would just stomp all the GT3 privateers, but it’s never been the case. I think part of that is car design but part is the tires, there aren’t many others on Dunlop and they only have the single car, so data limitation is probably an issue.

I kind of appreciate how the factory Subaru has the look of a hobbyist time trial car. Seems like more of a passion project by the maker rather than them trying to put the brand over on race results.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ohtori Akio posted:

Coming from F1, it hadn't occurred to me that in smaller series, when your car burns down that's your car gone! No extra simply waiting to be flown out from the factory. Any idea what that part that flew off is specifically?

Sounds like the exhaust broke, not sure specifically what part but that’s a good way to expose heat to places it shouldn’t be.

And it’s also that this is a small dedicated private team building the car on their own - if a similar issue happened to one of the homologated GT3 cars, it’s effectively the same as needing to repair your street car - order up parts from the dealer. Somebody like Porsche will have support (a parts truck) on hand at races like this, or at least have a small warehouse in Japan for anyone who needs to fix a broken race car.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Do small teams buy insurance plans on their cars?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Viper915 posted:

Racing related, if a bit late, my brother in law knows how much I love endurance racing, and for my first father's day, managed to find this officially licensed 24 Hour Le Mans kit I never would have known existed! Pretty badass little shelf decoration, I hope they add to the roster.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/porsche-963-76916

You can get this in the UK, I bought it from Sainsburys of all places.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
The Race (which was Nismo.tv before that) ran full season SuperGT coverage on YouTube in 2020 and they had Sam Collins (now on F1TV) on commentary, it was a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Yeah unfortunately motorsport.com had to ruin that like they ruin everything else