Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The best part of GWT is that it has so many interlocking subsystems of advancement that operate in completely different dimensions. This is also the worst part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Toddler (3yo) boardgaming update: I improvised a Candyland board using MtG land cards and butcher's paper that I drew a basic track on and let her draw on herself. She loved it, and played it four times in a row.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

bobvonunheil posted:

Toddler (3yo) boardgaming update: I improvised a Candyland board using MtG land cards and butcher's paper that I drew a basic track on and let her draw on herself. She loved it, and played it four times in a row.

In an earlier Board Games thread someone mentioned a Candyland house rule: draw 2 cards and choose one. It adds an age appropriate level of decision making to the game. There's a right answer but there's just the tiniest bit of subtlety in edge cases that you get to see them figure out.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I finally got to play Brass: Birmingham at the table having played a fair bit of OG Brass, and I have to ask, does anyone else hate the new board like I do? It's so cluttered and there's a lot of drawings there that make it overwhelming to my eye to even even see links. I can do it, but man I thought the OG board was so much clearer. I understand 'making the game look good', but why is that at the expense of clarity?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Carillon posted:

I finally got to play Brass: Birmingham at the table having played a fair bit of OG Brass, and I have to ask, does anyone else hate the new board like I do? It's so cluttered and there's a lot of drawings there that make it overwhelming to my eye to even even see links. I can do it, but man I thought the OG board was so much clearer. I understand 'making the game look good', but why is that at the expense of clarity?

Modern board game design and marketing is all from over function. It's the Kickstarter effect run rampant. I'm all for blinging out a game in functional ways like the Bakelite tiles for Antiquity that look clearer and are easier to manipulate, but hate the overdesigned style that Ian O'Toole et all are leaning hard into (cube rails games aside). I bit the bullet and accepted that style for the new Ra deluxe to get the wood tiles, but if BGG is to be believed those aren't nearly as durable as I expected.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 12, 2023

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Carillon posted:

I don't hate it, but I do much prefer the austere functional stuff.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I do think Brass Classique deserves it reputation for ugliness, and don't find all of the art over Nouveux Brass distracting.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Mr. Squishy posted:

I do think Brass Classique deserves it reputation for ugliness, and don't find all of the art over Nouveux Brass distracting.

I didn't realize it was considered ugly tbf, but I always liked that it was clear and didn't require squinting. I think that's my issue with the reprints, is that the background is busy enough I have to essentially look past the pretty art to find the game. It's not so bad, but to me at least, was pretty distracting.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

I like olde Brass :shrug:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
The good thing is that Olde Brass is now really cheap if you want a copy. It's like 15USD second hand around here now.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

The good thing is that Olde Brass is now really cheap if you want a copy. It's like 15USD second hand around here now.

Do budget for replacing the horrible coins with something else though. Early Martin Wallace game money is hateful.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

The End posted:

Do budget for replacing the horrible coins with something else though. Early Martin Wallace game money is hateful.

Ooh, I've got some Seafall coins just lying around...

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
The latest BGG Podcast features an extended discussions from two recent converts to 18xx-dom. Why 18xx Might Be Your Next Obsession. As someone who runs adjacent to these circles but has not yet had the chance to try for myself, I found it an interesting casual conversation about approaching the genre.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

They added a ~$20 mini Solo Gloomhaven game to their big croundfunding thing that looks pretty rad. Surprised I didn't hear about it until it bubbled up on BGG.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Magnetic North posted:

The latest BGG Podcast features an extended discussions from two recent converts to 18xx-dom. Why 18xx Might Be Your Next Obsession. As someone who runs adjacent to these circles but has not yet had the chance to try for myself, I found it an interesting casual conversation about approaching the genre.

I haven't listened to it yet, but I hope they cover off the fact that, like, 1853 and 1830 are less related than Antike II and Imperial in terms of the game play experience.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I upgraded my purple hex table. Turns out I only have four friends that play bgames, so that 6th side was always unused.

https://twitter.com/Ravendas16/status/1680686663494770695

It's still a hex with that in :)

It was also made with scrap wood, foam and fabric I had saved. The only thing I had to buy was a 70c piece of wood and like $1 in washers for some spacing. I've got enough mats to make a 2nd one for the opposite side to, for 4p TI4 or something.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Auditions to be Rav's fifth friend to be held in the discord.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Must play MtG.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

Auditions to be Rav's fifth friend to be held in the discord.

Auctions, please

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.
Playing Sidereal Confluence with 6 this weekend and I'm insisting we play with the Zeth. It's gonna be a good weekend.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

million dollar mack posted:

Playing Sidereal Confluence with 6 this weekend and I'm insisting we play with the Zeth. It's gonna be a good weekend.

Having a note in the book about "Watch out for the Zeth, they're mean" I think massively massively overhypes them, and everyone should play with them from the off. Like, they have to give you a 'ton' of cool stuff for you to accept an extortion token, and then you have to plan around maybe getting extorted. That's it. It's actually MUCH MUCH easier to play against than a lot of the other factions, because with the others it's like "Oh hey, I'll give you a good deal" and you're like "Oh, sweet, yeah I'll take that", and you don't really look at what they're doing, and what you just did was DEFINITELY 100% hand them the win. At least with the Zeth, it's kind of clear that, hey, maybe this good deal isn't as good as you think.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.
I mean I sort of get it. If people are new to a board game (or board games generally) and someone is coming along to wreck your stuff (maybe but not really) then you’ll probably spend a disproportionate amount of energy worrying about them, or just refusing to deal with them at all.

Having everyone not trade with the Zeth actually ruins their game and isn’t fun for the Zeth player. You also need to have a little bit of awareness that Envoys (the card) is definitely worth bidding for, even if you end up with the (minor) poison pill that is an Envoy.

The first time I played with them I found it hard to sell Envoy tokens, which makes it really hard to increase your extortion payment demands, which you must do to keep up.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

million dollar mack posted:

I mean I sort of get it. If people are new to a board game (or board games generally) and someone is coming along to wreck your stuff (maybe but not really) then you’ll probably spend a disproportionate amount of energy worrying about them, or just refusing to deal with them at all.

Having everyone not trade with the Zeth actually ruins their game and isn’t fun for the Zeth player. You also need to have a little bit of awareness that Envoys (the card) is definitely worth bidding for, even if you end up with the (minor) poison pill that is an Envoy.

The first time I played with them I found it hard to sell Envoy tokens, which makes it really hard to increase your extortion payment demands, which you must do to keep up.

Yeah, but, I think this sort of helps me form my point.

I really don't like that they say, "THIS faction feels like it's coming after you, and some players don't like that, so maybe don't play with them".

Because, I don't think that's valid. That seems harsh, and, obviously sounds like I'm telling people they should endure a type of gameplay they don't like... but I guess, I kind of am saying that. The reason why though, is that, it isn't 'kind' to eschew that style of gameplay. Not just because it means people who like it are excluded, but also because the alternative isn't 'kind'.

I've typed this out a few times, and I find it really hard to articulate, but essentially:

Not looking at what your opponents are doing in a game, is fine if it's too much, if it's information overload. Sure, like, no one is expecting you to WORK, it's for fun.

But that does mean you're likely to accidentally king-make. And for the player who you didn't king-make that feels really unfair. If you 'could' have payed attention and not made the bad play that favoured one player, but you didn't even try, that's actually kind of selfish. Everyone's trying hard to win, but you've upended that, and decided the game through laziness. That selfishness though isn't apparent, its hidden by virtue of the fact that you're just "Doing your thing", and by the fact that it's totally indistinguishable from someone just not playing perfectly. Which is obviously, perfectly fine!

Both of these situations (both aversion to Zeth and playing sub optimally in a selfish way) both come from not wanting to look up from what you're doing and interact with your friends around the table.

My argument is that, actually looking up and confronting your friends, ends up being more fun 99.9% of the time, even if it feels like it wont. I get that people are conflict averse, but its actually in practice much closer to 'interacting with your friends' averse, which I don't think is a healthy habit to foster. Or, I mean, you know it can be, obviously practice tolerance and kindness. But I just mean, it shouldn't de-facto be the case that we say "Oh yeah, the Zeth (or equivalent) are mean, lets get rid of meanness" because that's not what it is.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
There's a posting metaphor in there somewhere.

Like, I know some of you read others' posts and incorporate that into what you decide to say in your own, but I prefer to just write my own post in my own way you know? Other people write their posts and I just wanna do mine.

Besides reading everyone's posts and factoring that in is extra work and I'm still learning. I will be taking no questions because giving me work based on what I wrote myself in my own post feels mean and I just don't look for that in my posting :hmmyes:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I agree that the Zeth's meanness is overplayed in and out of game. They rule and I would prefer having them in most games I think.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

haven’t had a chance to watch this yet, humbly requesting a vlaadahead do so and report back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLlQYsSAbyU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I dunno I feel like Sidereal players are forgetting what it's like to be new to the game. I feel like it's appropriate to stay away from the zeth with new players just because they're not gonna get how to deal with it. Learning to understand the economic forces at work in Sidereal is hard enough without having a faction that extorts people. The zeth aren't a difficult faction to play around but learning how to even parse the value of what other factions are offering is hard enough even with more experienced players being available to explain and sell their value to the new player in trades. For the zeth it's a more adversarial relationship which makes it a harder teach. Maybe overstated but I think it's fine advice to not break them out around new people. That, and I think it's more you don't want to make newbies play AGAINST them, though if you have one new player it's probably fine to let them play AS them because they're not that difficult.

That all being said I think Unity is much more of a don't play with new players faction because you'll have a bad time because it's really hard to convince new players of why your gray cubes are worth paying extra for.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Hello thread. I picked up Marvel Champions to play solo and like it quite a bit. I got Captain America and Scarlet Witch as well. Any other packs I should get sooner rather than later? Probably one of the scenario packs?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Kaddish posted:

Hello thread. I picked up Marvel Champions to play solo and like it quite a bit. I got Captain America and Scarlet Witch as well. Any other packs I should get sooner rather than later? Probably one of the scenario packs?

Welcome to the thread! I know nothing about Marvel Champions product so I can't help you but I wanted to mention that if you don't get any responses here, you could also try the LCG thread.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

!Klams posted:

... it's like "Oh hey, I'll give you a good deal" and you're like "Oh, sweet, yeah I'll take that", and you don't really look at what they're doing, and what you just did was DEFINITELY 100% hand them the win....

the reason we don't play many negotiation games (or negotiate in games where some people do a lot of negotiation like Princes of the Renaissance or Container), is that we recognize we're all absolute pieces of poo poo and any offer from any party is probably secretly handing them the win and they can go gently caress themselves.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
But that's the ideal scenario! Being the lone bastard in a sea of nice guys is much worse

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Perry Mason Jar posted:

But that's the ideal scenario! Being the lone bastard in a sea of nice guys is much worse

the number of trading game plays where I hear "don't trade with FA, or you'll lose / because they know something" approaches my number of trading game plays.

Photux
Sep 3, 2012

Funny then, that such darkness gives me hope
I recently played some 18XX games for the first time, and did not have a good time. I played 18Chesapeake and then 1882, both with the same group of people who were also fairly new to the 18XX world. Both times I played, nobody ever went bankrupt, although there were multiple times each game where someone dumped a struggling company on another player right before most of its trains rusted. Every time, it was possible for the company to survive, although they would have to not pay out dividends and have a few rough operating rounds. Because nobody ever went bankrupt and we played until the bank ran out, the games took forever. It felt like there was an interesting first hour as players set up companies and jostled for map positions, an interesting second hour where trains started rusting and people engaged in stock shenanigans, and then the next three hours were the most tedious thing I've ever experienced as all the companies were "safe" and people just ran their trains and maybe started another "safe" company or two.

We were all inexperienced players, so it's possible we are all too "nice" and don't know the best ways to screw other people over, but still, it was literally the most boring board game experience I've ever had. Were we missing something? Are 18XXs just fragile, where imperfect play can make the game unfun?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

They do need aggressive players to be fun. I'm surprised that Chese and very surprised that '82 were so vulnerable, but '30 can be downright interminable if people aren't rushing the trains. Basic rule of thumb is that if you're not making the most money now, you are losing slowly and should try to change that (by buying trains). I'm surprised that Chese's export mechanic didn't keep the game ticking along, and I'm amazed that you all found a comfortable niche in '82.
But yeah, recognizable issue with the family.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Photux posted:

I recently played some 18XX games for the first time, and did not have a good time. I played 18Chesapeake and then 1882, both with the same group of people who were also fairly new to the 18XX world. Both times I played, nobody ever went bankrupt, although there were multiple times each game where someone dumped a struggling company on another player right before most of its trains rusted. Every time, it was possible for the company to survive, although they would have to not pay out dividends and have a few rough operating rounds. Because nobody ever went bankrupt and we played until the bank ran out, the games took forever. It felt like there was an interesting first hour as players set up companies and jostled for map positions, an interesting second hour where trains started rusting and people engaged in stock shenanigans, and then the next three hours were the most tedious thing I've ever experienced as all the companies were "safe" and people just ran their trains and maybe started another "safe" company or two.

We were all inexperienced players, so it's possible we are all too "nice" and don't know the best ways to screw other people over, but still, it was literally the most boring board game experience I've ever had. Were we missing something? Are 18XXs just fragile, where imperfect play can make the game unfun?

Once all companies have permanent trains there's no game left, just spreadsheet it out and it should take like 15 minutes. But also yes, you were very likely not being aggressive enough, which is a symptom of having a group of all new players. Non permanent trains should rarely be running more than twice in Chesapeake and 82 for example, if they are then people aren't starting new companies fast enough, and typically all companies should have been opened before the permanents came out.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Buying as many trains as possible and running everything for a quick buck in the short-term is the way to play.

Not having a permanent is a problem for future you. Or future someone else.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Magnetic North posted:

Welcome to the thread! I know nothing about Marvel Champions product so I can't help you but I wanted to mention that if you don't get any responses here, you could also try the LCG thread.

Totally forgot about that thread, thanks.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Kaddish posted:

Totally forgot about that thread, thanks.

Let's get cubans with plantains and play

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

Let's get cubans with plantains and play

Sounds good to me - probably need to get a few more games under my belt and definitely some more cards first. I haven’t even touched deck building yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Tekopo posted:

Buying as many trains as possible and running everything for a quick buck in the short-term is the way to play.

Not having a permanent is a problem for future you. Or future someone else.

Yeah, it's an unstable equilibirum. If someone starts pushing trains, everyone has to start pushing trains otherwise they fall behind to the person pushing trains (more trains = more money).