Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Omne posted:

Love Maderas (literally wearing a t-shirt from there right now), it's my dad's home course. My scores are ugly but it's always a good time

Is it public?

Edit: $279 on the weekend, lmfao. I think I'm paying less for one of the Torrey rounds. I'll probably pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Maybe check out Talega in San Clemente or if you want to enjoy some dirtbag local golf try Los Lagos in Costa Mesa or the place I Iearned at - Meadowlark in Huntington Beach (you won't need a driver).

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Only place ive played in irvine area is oak creek but its probably overpriced unless you get one of the post 4 pm times then its significantly cheaper. Think theyve had a couple us senior open quals there before and it was solidly fun.

Just checked and after 4 pm its only 85 bucks. Also has a fantastic practice area with a huge grass range and multiple short game areas.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

Kameh posted:

Is it public?

Edit: $279 on the weekend, lmfao. I think I'm paying less for one of the Torrey rounds. I'll probably pass.

Oof, yeah. It's semi-private, and very nice, but I don't remember paying that much last year, maybe ~150ish. May have been off-peak times though.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

The only two premier courses I’ve played are Bethpage Black (as a NY resident) and Torrey (with a SD County resident) so both rounds were under $100. Seeing some destination courses over $600 per round now is just crazy. I’m sure there’s no shortage of people willing to pay though.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Suprfli6 posted:

The only two premier courses I’ve played are Bethpage Black (as a NY resident) and Torrey (with a SD County resident) so both rounds were under $100. Seeing some destination courses over $600 per round now is just crazy. I’m sure there’s no shortage of people willing to pay though.

A friend of my dad played at Cabot Cliffs in Nova Scotia. With green fees for 2 and a cart it came to $1100.

Looks like a gorgeous course though:

https://cabotcapebreton.com/golf/cabot-cliffs

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Suprfli6 posted:

Pinehurst #2 can be affordable as a package deal. Stay at the resort, play 3/4 days, and play #2 for cost of a normal round, or get free other stuff. Otherwise, it's $400 plus extra.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Kameh posted:

Is it public?

They sell like 'membership' levels that he does, so I don't think we pay that. We have, however, played TPC Scottsdale - Stadium Course, and I know he played Punta Espada, so he's not against paying out for a good course

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Exciting finish to the Scottish Open. Rory is looking pretty solid.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Was following online, and the winning putt by Rory wasn't there. Approach to 6', sure. Noted it was for the win if he makes it, ok. Show us the putt? Nope. Kept rechecking the live feed, and saw "And Rory wins!" followed by taking down the live feed. Yikes.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Those last two irons were the stuff of dreams. What a way to finish.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007

Suprfli6 posted:

This is a great post as I'm in Charleston for a bachelor party and a couple guys dropped $600+ caddie tip to play the Kiawah Ocean course.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Unknownmass posted:

This is a great post as I'm in Charleston for a bachelor party and a couple guys dropped $600+ caddie tip to play the Kiawah Ocean course.

When I was there a few months ago we got paired up with a single who informed us he hadn't golfed in almost a year and this was his first round back out, at the Ocean Course, dropping that kinda cash and if his score was under 110 I would've been surprised lol. I hope he tipped his caddie well because he sure earned it that day.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

#traj

https://twitter.com/kylerrobbins/status/1680673627702697991?s=20

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Unknownmass posted:

There's only a few courses I'd drop that kind of cash on to play once in my life. Kiawah is one, pebble is another.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
2024 is the year of Rick and Rory boys. 100 years, rick and rory, every major, every pga tour championship, Rick and Rory boys

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:siren: The Open thread is up! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4037126 :siren:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Our scramble group finished at -13. We were -7 thru 7, and they just stopped golfing, and started networking. Hit ball, sit in carts, chat, drive to ball, sit in cart. Went from me hitting third for our safety ball in play to me hitting first and it showed. Mark ball on green, we were all lining up, watching putts, nailing it. Then, no one watching so every putt was judged new while they talked business. It was a miracle we had no bogeys and still dropped 6 more birdies. Frustrating given how good our games went together.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

torgeaux posted:

Our scramble group finished at -13. We were -7 thru 7, and they just stopped golfing, and started networking. Hit ball, sit in carts, chat, drive to ball, sit in cart. Went from me hitting third for our safety ball in play to me hitting first and it showed. Mark ball on green, we were all lining up, watching putts, nailing it. Then, no one watching so every putt was judged new while they talked business. It was a miracle we had no bogeys and still dropped 6 more birdies. Frustrating given how good our games went together.

Scrambles are not really golf anyway.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
has anyone tried moving to a shorter driver shaft? i'm thinking of having it fitted/tested

https://twitter.com/loustagner/status/1680977517027422208?s=42&t=WUq4gxw3bpax2eIWJFA1lw

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

daslog posted:

Scrambles are not really golf anyway.

Its true, if it isn't a qualifier for the Open, it isn't real golf.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
The scramble defender has logged on

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Alas, we weren’t paying enough attention to beat the group of 70 year old shitters who somehow finished at -22

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

i am a moron posted:

Alas, we weren’t paying enough attention to beat the group of 70 year old shitters who somehow finished at -22

Shows what you know. We did win. $235 each to play but we won $50.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I'm thinking about quitting my golf association, because more than half of their tournaments are team nonsense, and I honestly don't have fun in them unless it's with someone I know, and I don't know that many golfers I like.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

torgeaux posted:

Shows what you know. We did win. $235 each to play but we won $50.

Did not seem that way from your post :laugh:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

i am a moron posted:

Did not seem that way from your post :laugh:

I couldn't care less about winning or even scoring well. (See prize info above).

Sitting in a cart waiting to hit while three guys talk business for 11 holes? Jesus.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Petey posted:

has anyone tried moving to a shorter driver shaft? i'm thinking of having it fitted/tested

https://twitter.com/loustagner/status/1680977517027422208?s=42&t=WUq4gxw3bpax2eIWJFA1lw
I think there's a nonlinear relationship here.

If you're an average to poor golfer, say you shoot in the 90s, you would probably benefit more from the longer shaft because you're hitting it all over the face anyway.

If you shoot in the 80s, you would probably benefit from the shorter shaft to help you get into the 70s and reduce the number of OB drives.

If you shoot in the 70s, it depends but as you get closer to scratch, you're likely to benefit from the longer shaft because your misses aren't that bad.

The person in the tweet had a 6.1 handicap at the time so he probably shoots in the low 80s most of the time with some high 70s.

The main effect of a longer shaft isn't impact location per se but timing. Longer shafts are usually more difficult to time but it's also possible (albeit unlikely) that you might time things better.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 18, 2023

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Petey posted:

I very recently got fitted and all of my clubs got shortened. 1/2" off my irons, 1" off my driver. Without changing anything else, I was hitting the sweet spot on the irons more consistently (it was the equivalent of going 2* upright lie) and I felt way more comfortable swinging the longer irons.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

It may be a janky 9 hole, but I got the approval to play while on holidays.

There was also a 57 yard par three, which I managed to three putt.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Janky 9 holes but with a world class view, that's awesome.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Doing a pepsi challenge with three drivers because holy poo poo I don't know what happened to me but I can't hit one anymore. Been using that old 3-wood and probably gaining distance just from hitting the fairway :(

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Ok so I moved to a house two years ago that is on a PGA tour course. We did not join the country club because its very much not our thing. However being around golf for a few years and seeing as its a big part of social activity here, I've finally decided to pick up the game. Some info:

1. I'm 43, 5'10, not overweight but not particularly strong. (Based on this I went with regular stiffness shafts)
2. I'm in this mostly for social reasons, both with my family (my FIL has gotten back into playing and my daughter has expressed interest) and with folks my age & neighbors.
3. My main concern is ruining others experiences by sucking too much.
4. I didn't want to sink much money into this in case it doesn't work out.

Given those goals and a few weeks of reading articles and youtube, I came up with the following setup based mostly on local PlayitAgain sports availability and what I could find on ebay. This is $650 including the ogio stand bag.

So please critique away, how'd I do? What are the biggest mistakes here? What do people expect I will be replacing first?

My first lesson is next Saturday.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

That should be fine to get you going. You probably don't want to use the 60* wedge all that much unless you really devote a lot of time to practicing with it.

Anyone is capable of playing at a decent pace, even newer/bad golfers, so as long as you are ready to hit when it's your turn, don't spend too long looking for lost balls, etc. I wouldn't be too nervous about your speed.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

GEMorris posted:

Ok so I moved to a house two years ago that is on a PGA tour course.

You can't drop this without telling us what course lol

Especially if you're in Florida! :)

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

mattfl posted:

You can't drop this without telling us what course lol

Especially if you're in Florida! :)

Probably one of the least exciting courses? Not sure about general consensus on that, but given the position on the calendar it's usually one of the least interesting events?

Its Sedgefield, where the Wyndham open is held.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

GEMorris posted:

Probably one of the least exciting courses? Not sure about general consensus on that, but given the position on the calendar it's usually one of the least interesting events?

Its Sedgefield, where the Wyndham open is held.

Well thanks for dashing my hopes that it was Florida and Bay Hill lol

Still pretty cool to get to play on a PGA tour stop course.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

GEMorris posted:

Ok so I moved to a house two years ago that is on a PGA tour course. We did not join the country club because its very much not our thing. However being around golf for a few years and seeing as its a big part of social activity here, I've finally decided to pick up the game. Some info:

1. I'm 43, 5'10, not overweight but not particularly strong. (Based on this I went with regular stiffness shafts)
2. I'm in this mostly for social reasons, both with my family (my FIL has gotten back into playing and my daughter has expressed interest) and with folks my age & neighbors.
3. My main concern is ruining others experiences by sucking too much.
4. I didn't want to sink much money into this in case it doesn't work out.

Given those goals and a few weeks of reading articles and youtube, I came up with the following setup based mostly on local PlayitAgain sports availability and what I could find on ebay. This is $650 including the ogio stand bag.

So please critique away, how'd I do? What are the biggest mistakes here? What do people expect I will be replacing first?

My first lesson is next Saturday.

That set is more than perfectly fine for a beginner and will get you some good years of use before you sell and upgrade bits and pieces. For now, avoid using the Driver, the 3 Wood, the 60° wedge, and possibly the 3 Hybrid, to the point where you might be better off leaving them out of the bag for the next few months. They're challenging clubs to hit right and can punish you horribly on miss-hits. Drive with a comfy club like the 5 wood or the 5 hybrid or the 7 iron that you can reliably hit 150-200 yards relatively straight(you'll figure out what club suits you during your lessons and range time).

Your money is far, far better spent on lessons, cheap rounds of golf, and range time (roughly in that order but you need all three) if you want to improve at a good rate. New shiny clubs, balls, gimmicks, etc. Only give small percentile advantages that only make sense investing in once your lessons and practice start plateauing at a higher level. Most importantly, have fun! Stay hydrated, protect yourself from the sun and mosquitos/ticks, get some basic comfy golf gear, and don't let the bad shots rattle you.

This video condenses a lot of this guy's good points for beginner's, he's goofy as gently caress but the advice is legit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R-NvelOz3E

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Suprfli6 posted:

Anyone is capable of playing at a decent pace, even newer/bad golfers, so as long as you are ready to hit when it's your turn, don't spend too long looking for lost balls, etc. I wouldn't be too nervous about your speed.

You can shoot 120 and get around in 4 hours, you can shoot 75 and get around in 4 hours. As this good says, playing ready golf is the key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Mederlock posted:

This video condenses a lot of this guy's good points for beginner's, he's goofy as gently caress but the advice is legit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R-NvelOz3E

Holy cow that is gold. Had I found that video earlier I would have just bought the adams set and a putter.