Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

JawnV6 posted:

I've played in 3 states now and every store has a player that gets rules questions hurled across the room at them. Is this an elected position?

Yes every store has one of these guys in my experience and they can never just sit down and enjoy a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

We had one at my last lgs. He was the only person who was a qualified judge so everyone threw things his way.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

kalel posted:

ruff lol

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

I'm on the east coast for a while and at a Commander night in TN there was a cop wearing his badge playing in a pod. Haven't seen that on the west coast.

I moved to TN from CA about five years ago and there was a dude open carrying at the Dominaria prerelease. That was certainly a bit of a culture shock.

There was also a second guy who was talking about getting his open carry license. He got real mad during a casual Commander game and slammed his deck on the table before storming out.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Yes every store has one of these guys in my experience and they can never just sit down and enjoy a game.

but they also probably wouldn't be able to enjoy their game if someone was within earshot and getting the rules wrong

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

ElectricRelaxation posted:

I moved to TN from CA about five years ago and there was a dude open carrying at the Dominaria prerelease. That was certainly a bit of a culture shock.

There was also a second guy who was talking about getting his open carry license. He got real mad during a casual Commander game and slammed his deck on the table before storming out.

If people having guns is gonna upset you TN might not be the best place to call home. I’ve lived in the Midwest for years, and you just assume every third person has a pistol tucked in their pants. They don’t seem to gun down their opponents when they lose so who cares?

e: a cop wearing their badge during play feels like a totally different flex, and not one id stick around for. gently caress that.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 17, 2023

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Loucks posted:

If people having guns is gonna upset you TN might not be the best place to call home. I’ve lived in the Midwest for years, and you just assume every third person has a pistol tucked in their pants. They don’t seem to gun down their opponents when they lose so who cares?

e: a cop wearing their badge during play feels like a totally different flex, and not one id stick around for. gently caress that.

Sorry but you don’t need a gun to play games with kids. If someone was open carrying at a Magic event I was attending and they weren’t kicked out I would leave and never come back.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Loucks posted:

This poo poo sucks

Loucks
May 21, 2007

uPen posted:

Sorry but you don’t need a gun to play games with kids. If someone was open carrying at a Magic event I was attending and they weren’t kicked out I would leave and never come back.

I’m not interested in getting into a gun debate. Outside of the coasts a lot of people carry everywhere it’s legal. It’s not about “needing a gun to play games with kids.” Open carry is kinda rude imo, but they’re not strapping up to go play magic; it’s just how they dress all the time. Guns are a fact of life when you leave CA, NY, et al. Feel free not to like it, but the idea that a person having a weapon means they shouldn’t be able to play a game seems insane to me.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Loucks posted:

I’m not interested in getting into a gun debate. Outside of the coasts a lot of people carry everywhere it’s legal. It’s not about “needing a gun to play games with kids.” Open carry is kinda rude imo, but they’re not strapping up to go play magic; it’s just how they dress all the time. Guns are a fact of life when you leave CA, NY, et al. Feel free not to like it, but the idea that a person having a weapon means they shouldn’t be able to play a game seems insane to me.

They're free to do whatever they want wherever it is legal. If the Children's Game Store doesn't stop the guy with the gun at the door and tell them to gently caress off it's not a store I want to do business with.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Loucks posted:

Feel free not to like it, but the idea that a person having a weapon means they shouldn’t be able to play a game seems insane to me.

The idea that I need to be in the same room with potentially a bunch of loaded weapons in order to play a children's card game seems insane to me.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

uPen posted:

They're free to do whatever they want wherever it is legal. If the Children's Game Store doesn't stop the guy with the gun at the door and tell them to gently caress off it's not a store I want to do business with.

Sure, you’re entitled to that. I’m not sure I’d call the place trying to peddle multi-hundred dollar pieces of cardboard to nostalgia-afflicted computer touchers a “Children’s Game Store,” but it’s understandable to dislike open carry.

Having lived in the Midwest for quite a while though it becomes a thing you get used to. No other option really unless you just never leave your home.

Cactrot posted:

The idea that I need to be in the same room with potentially a bunch of loaded weapons in order to play a children's card game seems insane to me.

Any given crowd in the area has at least a half dozen dudes with concealed firearms. I’m not saying “this is good,” but rather “this is reality.”

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Loucks posted:

This has not been my experience living in the Midwest my entire life. Someone being visibly strapped at a game store would be alarming to everyone I know

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Loucks posted:

I've lived in rural and suburban parts of America for nearly my entire life and I guarantee you that 99% of the people who open carry everywhere all the time even when it's completely unnecessary are the kind of assholes who are constantly looking for an excuse to magdump into anyone they can justify doing so at in "self defense". I would never want them in a game store I'm in.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Loucks posted:

Sure, you’re entitled to that. I’m not sure I’d call the place trying to peddle multi-hundred dollar pieces of cardboard to nostalgia-afflicted computer touchers a “Children’s Game Store,” but it’s understandable to dislike open carry.

Having lived in the Midwest for quite a while though it becomes a thing you get used to. No other option really unless you just never leave your home.

Any given crowd in the area has at least a half dozen dudes with concealed firearms. I’m not saying “this is good,” but rather “this is reality.”

I call it a children's game store because it is a store where children come to play games. Every pre-release I've attended has a significant percentage of like 10-16-year-old kids, if that isn't your experience maybe the kids also agree that it's insane for there to be guns in the store.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Loucks posted:

I live in texas and we have some of the shittiest gun laws in the nation and this isn't normal for here. If you want into an LGS with a gun people are going to ask you to leave op.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Sickening posted:

I live in texas and we have some of the shittiest gun laws in the nation and this isn't normal for here. If you want into an LGS with a gun people are going to ask you to leave op.

I haven’t lived in Texas for decades, but when I did their gun laws were far more restrictive than those in my current state. I do agree that open carriers are assholes outside of the backcountry. Maybe the environment is different where you all are, but around here if I go out I tend to see people open carrying regularly. I also play the “spot the concealed pistol” game, and it’s pretty easy.

Seems like people itt think my point was “guns are cool take an AR-15 to fnm,” and I’m not sure why. Maybe I should note that my avatar was given to me for arguing in favor of gun control in tfr. My point is that some areas in the US are chock full of gunhavers, and if you live in those areas you’re going to be around them. I’d guess that those of you living in less restrictive states are around concealed weapons far more often than you’re aware.

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007
I've lived in Tennessee for five years now and haven't had a nervous breakdown so I guess I must've adapted. Also, I dropped that store and went to one with a better weapon policy.

Also "if you don't like it you should just move" isn't quite the argument you think it is.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Loucks posted:

Seems like people itt think my point was “guns are cool take an AR-15 to fnm,” and I’m not sure why. Maybe I should note that my avatar was given to me for arguing in favor of gun control in tfr. My point is that some areas in the US are chock full of gunhavers, and if you live in those areas you’re going to be around them. I’d guess that those of you living in less restrictive states are around concealed weapons far more often than you’re aware.

I dunno about anyone else but what pissed me off was you telling someone to not live in Tennessee if they didn’t like open carry. I’ve lived in Oklahoma my whole life, hell I’ll probably die here and I don’t see losers packing heat constantly, open & “constitutional” carry state btw. If someone told me I shouldn’t live in my home because I don’t like the freaks who fantasize about being a Good Guy with a Gun at the Goddamned FLGS I’d tell that person to get hosed. “Yeah these people are psycho, but you just gotta deal with it” is bullshit.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I don’t recall telling anyone to move. My point was “Tennesseans gonna Tennessee,” and getting mad about it won’t change anything.

Finding a different game store seems like a good solution, but I guarantee there are people carrying concealed there. That’s just living in the US.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
It's almost like a country of 350 million people is going to have areas where personal experiences and culture are vastly different

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Loucks posted:

I don’t recall telling anyone to move. My point was “Tennesseans gonna Tennessee,” and getting mad about it won’t change anything.

Finding a different game store seems like a good solution, but I guarantee there are people carrying concealed there. That’s just living in the US.

Don’t be pedantic, you and everyone else can clearly see what you typed, which was in response to a concern about open carry. You start bringing up concealed stuff to soften the pushback you got on “don’t like open carry? Don’t be in Tennessee.” Yeah no poo poo there’s people conceal carrying, that is qualitatively different than open carrying like you’re Wyatt Earp or something.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

thinking back to the store champ I was at 4 or 5 years ago where someone had a deck reg error or something, got into a shouting argument with the judge and stormed out, then called the store to say he was on his way back with a gun so we had a ring of police vehicles around the parking lot for the rest of the day

whether or not it was an empty threat, I’m glad he didn’t have it on his hip to begin with

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I talked to a guy who'd failed the judge L1 exam once and he said he got all the rules questions right and flubbed the soft skills portion. I looked into it and I've definitely known players who couldn't "get the attention of 10~15 people and deliver information to them" and other event-running things like that.

I don't think anyone invited a general gun debate, the original example included someone without the emotional regulation or maturity to handle a card game situation without guns. Adding them to those folks is clearly a mistake.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Guns are for pussies with a hero/martyr complex and esper control players (the same thing)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
So the Esper Legends in standard right now isn't really a new theme for the squad?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Loucks posted:

Lol validating my decision to avoid this part of the country forever

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
If you open-carry at a MTG event it has to be a goofy fantasy æther gun.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Brb bringing a tommy gun that shoots lightning to my Modern grinder

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

bringing a giant musket and a copy of Alaborn Musketeer in my wallet so I can show them its OK because its on a magic card

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

they're not guns they're magic arc welders

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Three things should get you kicked out of a Magic event:
1. Being a cop.
2. Carrying a weapon.
3. Anime tiddie playmat.

Full stop.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Toshimo posted:

1. Being a cop.
2. Carrying a weapon.
3. Anime tiddie playmat.

Full stop.

Horrible body odor should be on there as well.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Toshimo posted:

1. Being a cop.
2. Carrying a weapon.
3. Anime tiddie playmat.

Full stop.

You thought of Anime girl playmats before/instead of Racism?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Fajita Queen posted:

Horrible body odor should be on there as well.

that's included in 3

Other posted:

You thought of Anime girl playmats before/instead of Racism?

that's included in 1

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
If anyone ITT knows who "destone" is on Discord, please perform a wellness check on them as they rolled into the server linked in the OP late last night posting a bunch of suicidal ideation. Thank you!

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
They also joined the FF14 discord and challenged everyone in the gacha games subchannel to a knife fight apparently

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Other posted:

They also joined the FF14 discord and challenged everyone in the gacha games subchannel to a knife fight apparently

my knife is SSS rank they never stood a chance

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Toshimo posted:

1. Being a cop.
2. Carrying a weapon.
3. Anime tiddie playmat.

Full stop.

Now, when you say anime tiddie, where exactly do you draw the line? I'm asking for a... friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Randalor posted:

Now, when you say anime tiddie, where exactly do you draw the line? I'm asking for a... friend.

I think this is one of those "if you have to ask..." kind of questions