Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Finally got my Nevo 4

Feels good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

mystes posted:

I think on my rad bike the brake lever cuts off the motor; is it possible your brake lever got stuck in a position where it wasn't fully disengaged?
Yeah honestly that would make sense, I had just had to brake kind of abruptly. I suppose it either unfucked itself while I was turning it off and then on again, or doing that got around the issue.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

mystes posted:

Do bike helmets sold on amazon that aren't from normal bike helmet brands have us bike helmet certification either?

Those things are usually extremely corner cutting.
CPSC testing standards aren’t very realistic but a lot of those helmets would get obliterated in those tests. A $50 helmet at an LBS could be extremely safe, but a $35 no-name Amazon helmet might as well just be decoration.

The helmet I got was made by OGK Kabuto, who make motorcycle and bicycle helmets, so I’m confident enough with their internal crash testing.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

PRADA SLUT posted:

Can someone rec me an electric bike for a combo of commuter + funbike? Mainly riding it as a commuter about 10 miles (each way) along a paved beach path (not a road, like a concrete path bisecting sand). While I don't intend on going raw through actual sand, it might happen and there will def be sand strewn along the path (so probably those fatter smallish tires?). Looking for an ebike because I might be tired/lazy/whatever and want some throttle. Would be nice to have some butt cargo capacity and the capability to carry an adult passenger, but I don't need a full-on cargo bike.

Something like a RadRunner though doesn't have to be exactly that.

I like this one because it's a beach cruiser with a belt drive (less cleaning to do especially with sand/grit), but not sure what the weight limit is on the rear rack.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I got my helmet from a company called Xnito and I've been happy with it so far. Has some leds to be seen better at night, comfortable and NTA-8776 certified for higher speeds.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Here's a reminder to pick up a couple spare derailleur hangers on the cheap while your bike's still in production

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Nessus posted:

Exciting Rad news, the motor just sort of... stopped responding for a moment. Cycling the power on the bicycle after a brief stop fixed it and it seemed fine. Is this sort of thing normal or a worrying portent of BICYCLE DEATH?

Might also wiggle your cable connections and make sure they're secure. I've been getting the occasional error 30 caused by a lovely display connection (I think I've fixed it for now by bending out the pins a bit for a more secure connection), and when that happens I sometimes have to tap the brake levers after powering it back up to get the motor going again.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

G-III posted:

Finally got my Nevo 4

Feels good.

Looks great, how's it ride?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

The Quick Haul doesn't have a suspension fork
Does anyone even make a good 20" fork now? Last time I checked everyone (including the ±$8k options) used variants of the same dogshit suntour forks that fail after a couple of years at the most.

mystes posted:

Do bike helmets sold on amazon that aren't from normal bike helmet brands have us bike helmet certification either?
Just lol if you rely of anything off amazon for personal safety.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I mean I wouldn't buy a bike helmet off amazon at all but it's also maybe unlikely that people are bothering to counterfeit specific helmets from legit brands so idk you might be ok if you buy a real brand

Certainly nobody should buy a random sketchy brand helmet off amazon

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
are any of the mainline aluminum frame dropbar offerings from Trek/Cannondale/Specialized worth a poo poo? i just realized that my gf is gonna be smoking my rear end if we ever go anywhere together.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

mystes posted:

I mean I wouldn't buy a bike helmet off amazon at all but it's also maybe unlikely that people are bothering to counterfeit specific helmets from legit brands so idk you might be ok if you buy a real brand

Certainly nobody should buy a random sketchy brand helmet off amazon

lol, people will counterfeit anything man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9nXru4DBeU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Tigren posted:

lol, people will counterfeit anything man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9nXru4DBeU
okay never mind wow

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

brain go squish

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

TenementFunster posted:

are any of the mainline aluminum frame dropbar offerings from Trek/Cannondale/Specialized worth a poo poo? i just realized that my gf is gonna be smoking my rear end if we ever go anywhere together.
They're all overpriced for what they are but Fine.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

evil_bunnY posted:

They're all overpriced for what they are but Fine.
gonna save five grand throwing a waterskiing tow rope on the back of her bike and getting a skateboard instead

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I tried the specialized Vado 5.0 and the gazelle ultimate c380 and liked them both equally for different reasons. If there’s a toss up between the two is there a reason to go with one over the other?

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Veskit posted:

I tried the specialized Vado 5.0 and the gazelle ultimate c380 and liked them both equally for different reasons. If there’s a toss up between the two is there a reason to go with one over the other?

check which one your LBS can easily get parts and do maintenance on

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

halokiller posted:

check which one your LBS can easily get parts and do maintenance on

We’ll that narrows that. All I have to do now is figure out if the gazelle 380 or the 380+ is the direction to go in.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Get the 380+, the Performance Speed motor (and assist to 28mph instead of 20) is a big step up from the base performance motor

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Barry posted:

Looks great, how's it ride?

Sadly after 80 miles of riding I need to take it back to the shop because I'm having severe issues with it:

1. EXTREME BATTERY DRAIN: despite having a 750 wh battery this thing chews through battery even on low pedal assist. Something is clearly up because this doesn't even get the minimum advertised range of 49 miles with that capacity at full charge.

2. The pedaling is way too stiff to maintain speed. I've tested other bikes with enviolo hubs and they weren't this hard to peddle, including a Nevo 3. Either the bike in this configuration is too heavy, the IGH isn't calibrated right, or there's something else wrong adding additional friction.

If these issues can't be resolved I'll probably have to eat a restocking fee and get something else. :-(

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Is there any significant quality drop off under the $2k mark? I'm buying two ebikes and don't want to break the bank.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Do you want it to feel like a normal bike when you’re riding it, or is it ok if it’s heavier etc? I feel like if you are mostly using it for just getting around the bikes below $2k I’ve tried (eg now the Flyer M880) are solid.

E: tho now I’m nervous about all these bike’s brakes lol

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I can still vouch for the pace 500.2, I just hit 700 miles on it. I know I'm overdue on that writeup, I'll get to it soon

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

G-III posted:

Sadly after 80 miles of riding I need to take it back to the shop because I'm having severe issues with it:

1. EXTREME BATTERY DRAIN: despite having a 750 wh battery this thing chews through battery even on low pedal assist. Something is clearly up because this doesn't even get the minimum advertised range of 49 miles with that capacity at full charge.

2. The pedaling is way too stiff to maintain speed. I've tested other bikes with enviolo hubs and they weren't this hard to peddle, including a Nevo 3. Either the bike in this configuration is too heavy, the IGH isn't calibrated right, or there's something else wrong adding additional friction.

If these issues can't be resolved I'll probably have to eat a restocking fee and get something else. :-(

Those two issues could be linked. If there was something wrong with the IGH adding extra drag to the drivetrain, your motor would be working hard to overcome that. I hope your shop sorts you out.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Just make sure you pay the extra for hydraulic brakes, don't cheap out on that.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Sentient Data posted:

I can still vouch for the pace 500.2, I just hit 700 miles on it. I know I'm overdue on that writeup, I'll get to it soon

Please do, everything I've seen said Aventon uses their self-owned factory to raise quality versus being a glorified reseller of other frames and components but it would be nice to hear that confirmed.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Yeah, my wife has been pushing for the Aventon.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I put 450 miles on my Pace 500.2 before trading it in for an aventure 2. It was a really fantastic bike and if I didn't need something that can handle heavy snow I'd probably still have it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm real glad I found this thread. So I have a 4.3 mile work commute and I was thinking of getting a ebike for the commute in the winters when its too cold. I will be honest I am completely and totally overwhelmed by all the ebikes out there. Could someone help me find something?

Here are my list of wants

I want a throttle
Less than 2 grand
I'd like a rear rack
I'd like good brakes

I use this mostly around the city.

I keep seeing Avonton mentioned but I am unsure if they are good bikes or not.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
5 miles you can do it on the cheapest 1k ebike or $500 scooter.

So just look for a bike with a good rack and with hydraulic brakes.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

https://youtu.be/5XUF_ISv98Y does a better job of a review than I could, and it's all accurate. Everything's sturdy, the official rear rack feels like it maxes out at around 60lbs or so (that trip had a total payload of around 400lbs of rider+groceries total). Buy the official fenders and racks while they're still in production, one size fits all is not true at all. I also picked up a spare battery and 3 extra derailleur hangers (the bike already comes with a spare hanger).The triangle tubes are thick and don't have mount holes, so plan somewhere else for a bottle. The front rack bottle holder is the only thing that sucks, I just snapped off the ring and filed down the nubs to give a proper rectangle front basket. Questions?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Sentient Data posted:

https://youtu.be/5XUF_ISv98Y does a better job of a review than I could, and it's all accurate. Everything's sturdy, the official rear rack feels like it maxes out at around 60lbs or so (that trip had a total payload of around 400lbs of rider+groceries total). Buy the official fenders and racks while they're still in production, one size fits all is not true at all. I also picked up a spare battery and 3 extra derailleur hangers (the bike already comes with a spare hanger).The triangle tubes are thick and don't have mount holes, so plan somewhere else for a bottle. The front rack bottle holder is the only thing that sucks, I just snapped off the ring and filed down the nubs to give a proper rectangle front basket. Questions?

Oh wow that's totally affordable and really what I am looking for. I'll probably purchase for my birthday.

edit:

Now I just need to find a hardshell pannier that I can fit my laptop in it.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 18, 2023

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Oh, and just to clarify the ~400 was teetering on the edge of feeling unsafe, but 300lbs total spread throughout the bags/racks is super easy. Ballpark 18 miles on a charge with max throttle-only riding it hard at 20mph, 24ish miles if pedaling at a pace I can manage for an hour solid at top gear for 25-28mph speeds.

Second battery in the big frame bag works perfectly for a trip 15 miles away (each way) with no worry about recharging, I found a good way to wrap a python cable lock securely around the bag when I carry the spare. Kryptonite 1090 for the chain lock, it's worth the weight.

I bought my helmet from a motorcycle shop, I went with the style you probably envision when I say moped helmet. More importantly i have car insurance style insurance that covers stuff like liability and medical even in a solo accident

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 18, 2023

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Any suggestions for a hardshell pannier for the rear rack that would be good for carrying my laptop. Laptop itself is 13 x 9 inches.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
My DIY solution to carry my laptop is a pair of foldable hard baskets inside a cheap canvas pannier I reinforce myself.

https://www.amazon.com/Swagman-80972-Fat-Basket/dp/B000YZCNPG/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=folding+rear+basket&qid=1689691963&sr=8-4&x=0&y=0

https://www.amazon.com/UNISTRENGH-U...ps%2C144&sr=8-7

This folding basket you can easily take it apart and make it into 2 narrow boxes.

For reinforcement I just get some cheap tactical belts and sew them into the back of the canvas pannier. You can also use other soft scraps. A strong shopping bag for example.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

stephenthinkpad posted:

My DIY solution to carry my laptop is a pair of foldable hard baskets inside a cheap canvas pannier I reinforce myself.

https://www.amazon.com/Swagman-80972-Fat-Basket/dp/B000YZCNPG/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=folding+rear+basket&qid=1689691963&sr=8-4&x=0&y=0

https://www.amazon.com/UNISTRENGH-U...ps%2C144&sr=8-7

This folding basket you can easily take it apart and make it into 2 narrow boxes.

For reinforcement I just get some cheap tactical belts and sew them into the back of the canvas pannier. You can also use other soft scraps. A strong shopping bag for example.

Yeah I wanted to just buy hard shelled pannier bags for the rear rack. I'm not good with DIY. I also plan to buy insurance for my bike and gear.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

If you end up buying the bike direct, here's a referral link that will give each of us a $50 discount. Not a paid shill, all the stuff I said was legit and it sounds like I'm not the only owner in the thread https://prz.io/ZN3db6ot5

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
There's a dealer in my area that sells them and I'm going to buy from the store so they put it together.

edit:

Looks like my best bet is just a hardshell laptop case and stick it in a canvas panier.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Hollismason posted:

There's a dealer in my area that sells them and I'm going to buy from the store so they put it together.

edit:

Looks like my best bet is just a hardshell laptop case and stick it in a canvas panier.

I've got an Ortlieb Office Bag: https://www.ortlieb.com/en_us/office-bag+F70726

It fell off once (my fault) and skidded to a stop in the bike lane. No real damage to the bag, no damage to the laptop inside. My only complaint is it doesn't really expand to fit anything beyond what fits in it.