Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mlmp08 posted:

Right, but I don't think you want a bunch of poster diatribes describing, in graphic detail, dead and maimed people from videos those people watch online, as long as those descriptions wrap up with "and I think this is some really bad stuff" at the end?

I would be bothered if it was more than a one time thing and the final sign off was being used as an excuse, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Nix Panicus posted:

Again, I think the fact that Russia has decided to use building new housing as their PR stunt to assure the people in the newly annexed oblasts things will be better is telling. It's still a PR stunt, but it also demonstrates that Russia is aware that providing for basic needs is how you win the people over, and also that they are interested in winning the people over at all. Neither of those are necessarily a given.

Russian rule will probably be a positive for ethnic Russians in the area considering their language and culture was being repressed, and neutral to negative for everyone else. Ethnic Ukrainians are 100% going to be accused of being spies or sympathetic to Kiev. That's just the kind of poo poo that happens. War heightens ethnic tensions. It sucks. War bad.

Economically Russia remains a liberal capitalist state, but I can't imagine a worse fate than being looted by the IMF or western capital so it's honestly probably a better outlook than what they would have had under Ukraine. That's not the same thing as 'good', just 'marginally less exploited' especially considering how indebted Ukraine is going to end up being.

I feel like being captured by Ukraine leads to a worse outcome for the people who live there than remaining with Russia at this point, and that's before taking into account the damage from a Ukrainian offensive.

Yeah, Russia understands that they can make the annexation smoother by offering a number of services that the people in those territories might not get if they remained in Ukraine. That's not altruism, it's practicality.

BTW, this is the real story of how Maidan was launched. Yanukovych was negotiating a trade deal with the EU, which would've wound up being the same old IMF dogshit deal that most countries in the global south get, laden with privatization and austerity. So Russia swooped in and offered a better deal - again, not out of altruism, but because Ukraine was a core interest that they wanted to keep in their orbit. Hence the willingness to undercut the IMF deal with one somewhat better.

When Yanukovych signaled he would take the Russian deal, that's when Maidan began. It's kind of why I find the whole thing to be a farce, especially when it's called a "Revolution of Dignity"

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

You guys heard about this 'Faces of Death's thing? I just learned about it! It's super hosed up! I watched five or six of the tapes just to be sure, and it never gets any better. Anyways I took some notes so we could talk about which one was the worst.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

A lot of people are taking the "tube superiority" line and running with it, without the caveat that the Russians still outclass the UAF in rocket artillery. I'm sure FF could explain this, but I'm not sure if "fire superiority" in tubes means accuracy of fires or volume.

I know it's not useful to say "it depends", but it depends. With stories coming out of Ukraine specifically, I'm not on that desk so I can't see any numbers Ukraine has provided to NATO or our intelligence has estimated. The problem is that they are deliberately vague (charitably) about what gets into the media. So, they could just be doing that thing where because western equipment is superior, their guns are superior by default. They could be saying that PGMs make them superior. On the other hand, they actually could have more guns, using more ammo, to fire more missions.

The problem is that those three things - more guns, more munitions, more missions - have been what Ukraine hasn't been able to establish previously, even at the start of the offensive when they could have locally created those conditions in secret while planning the operation. Doing so weeks into the fighting is obviously more difficult, though possible. There haven't been any large shipments from NATO lately on my radar, so these could be guns taken from other fronts.

Actually, the most reasonable thing operationally would be to reconstitute their independent artillery brigades which were broken up and dispersed across the whole theatre, and send them there (and they should have done that at the start). Having those formations massed would provide them with more guns than the organic artillery of the facing Russian units. Not by the ideal margin, since Ukrainian assault brigades had single batteries of artillery as their organic artillery, but enough that it would make a difference.

Idk, I'm wary about a lot of this stuff because there are occasionally these news cycle things where some Ukrainian flaw is pointed out, or a failure or whatever, and then the next cycle is more-or-less "Nuh uh" or "we fixed it".

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 15:04 on Jul 18, 2023

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
The guy who posted about making life worse for everyone around him posted a detailed description of a snuff film? Hmmm better give him the benefit of the doubt

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

gradenko_2000 posted:

describing gore videos in painstaking detail is barely any better than just posting the link, but in this case it seems like Tony Tone isn't actually liking it and is talking about how repulsive it is?

For me its like, I'm sure nobody here is under any illusion that kind of stuff is what's happening daily, it's just not necessary to indulge in these lurid and detailed descriptions even in a negative sense, yeah people die in tragic, pathetic and even embarrassing ways in a war, it's neither respectful to watch it NAFO-style for actual enjoyment nor is it for the sake of making a writeup to turn that person's last moments into some kind of shock jock material

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Okay, I can a read a room. I withdraw my position.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

🙏

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cao Ni Ma posted:

NATO trained them wrong. They are throwing ukraine under the bus saying they are doing things wrong while quietly swapping back to division level structures because they know the BCTs are useless against grinding battles of attrition

This is 100% what happened.

Go back three months. Every long form article or press release was about how we were training and equipping Ukraine to fight exactly like us.

The two most influential publications of the past 10 years are The Russian Way of War and Defeating the Russian BTG, and you can see how much of Ukrainian tactics and operations, as well as NATO statements and think tank predictions, draw from that.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 15:11 on Jul 18, 2023

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

I can understand defending the position of 'holy poo poo I just now realized that truly war is hell and I need to share my awakening!' but I think that's giving way too much credit here.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Yeesh, bit of a tony tone issue in here

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

lmfao at tony branching out from biosphere collapse to the u/r war

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Zodium posted:

lmfao at tony branching out from biosphere collapse to the u/r war

*shines torch under face * ...and what's more... the planet they were on is dying as well!!! OOOooooooooooo

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

Christ this can't really be Ukraine's strategy right

How do you win a war of attrition against a vastly superior force? Yeah the Taliban did it but it took twenty years and Ukraine is not in the Hindu Kush. Hell the afghan soviet war lasted ten years!

With how limited Ukraine's resources are Russia can just rebuild and replace defenses, especially once Ukraine pops the cork on cluster bombs.

In both the Soviet-Afghan and the US-Taliban cases, the Soviets/Americans eventually gave up and went home. They weren't really forcibly dislodged from the conflict.

Russia in the instance is far, far less likely to pack up and leave. If they consider this conflict truly existential, and there's reason to believe they do, they will be wiling to sustain much higher losses.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

people are so confused and unused to governments providing services they are making up theories about the real reasons a gov is building houses

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

My speculation is that no NATO member wanted to go back from brigades. First when Russia showed growing military capability in 2008 - when they were busy with expeditionary wars in the GWOT and wanted to maintain a unitary force structure - but even in 2014, when most NATO members were already withdrawing. Rebuilding to 1995 standards would not just be costly, it would take away the expeditionary intervention forces that many NATO members had come to see as their way of maintaining the Rules Based International Order.

A Mechanized Division could not be landed in Haiti, or deploy to Bolivia after being invited by a popular democratic coup to reestablish order and lithium mines. A divisional structure with its own large, organic, uniformed support units would also dramatically cut into contractors. I can’t say to what degree that was a factor, but conversely a lot of stuff we can’t fix ourselves and send to GD, would have been sent to Division workshops back in the day.

Also this would require much larger militaries with increases in pay, benefits and conditions of service to attract volunteers, or the return of conscription, particularly for the Europeans.

Finally, Special Forces have grown to be the largest combat units of most NATO members, bigger than any infantry brigade, regiment, even divisions and corps in the US. Those soldiers are not going to accept being transferred back to 1 AD as Bradleys dismounts or light infantry in the 10th Mountain…. so what the gently caress do you do with them? Institutionally, we have a huge pool of guys who believe they are too elite to do anything but their role, which is now obsolete. Rather than providing manpower to fill back up the infantry battalions and brigades, it’s dead weight that can’t be got rid of.

So, they developed a concept where they could defeat a conventional enemy without changing anything. They could still use the lightweight expeditionary army, but also fight Russia and China. Contractors remain, SF remains, we don’t need to increase labour costs or conscript, we’ll just defeat Guards Motor Rifles with networked digital systems and laser designators.

We then trained the Ukrainians to do this, they had a major success at Kharkov which reinforced it, and then… well, the problem is if the Ukrainians did it right and got pulped, it raises questions about how we would fare, doesn’t it?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
In European political news. Slovakia will hold parliamentary elections this September and former Prime Minister Robert Fico's Smer-SD party is leading in the polls.

He has promised to end military aid and the transport of weapons through the country to Ukraine.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

Also this would require much larger militaries with increases in pay, benefits and conditions of service to attract volunteers, or the return of conscription, particularly for the Europeans.

You gave a number of good points but I think it'll come back to this.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Irish BTFO

Paddies aint euros :owned:

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

I personally don't care if he likes it or not it's weird that he watched it, apparently all the way through, and decided to share. Disgusting freakposting

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

This is 100% what happened.

Go back three months. Every long form article or press release was about how we were training and equipping Ukraine to fight exactly like us.

The two most influential publications of the past 10 years are The Russian Way of War and Defeating the Russian BTG, and you can see how much of Ukrainian tactics and operations, as well as NATO statements and think tank predictions, draw from that.

Most NATO courtiers probably aren't ready/willing to go to divisions so they sure as gently caress can't train soldiers for it.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

Finally, Special Forces have grown to be the largest combat units of most NATO members, bigger than any infantry brigade, regiment, even divisions and corps in the US. Those soldiers are not going to accept being transferred back to 1 AD as Bradleys dismounts or light infantry in the 10th Mountain…. so what the gently caress do you do with them? Institutionally, we have a huge pool of guys who believe they are too elite to do anything but their role, which is now obsolete. Rather than providing manpower to fill back up the infantry battalions and brigades, it’s dead weight that can’t be got rid of.

just bust them for drug running or child prostitution and throw away the key. no socom, no problem. bing bing bong, so simple.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Suddenly remembering the Arthurian discourse and thinking about someone doing a class 500 years from now asking about the significance of Tony Stark's last words being a statement of identity, or why Dr. Strange gave the Time Stone to Thanos in an act of self sacrifice instead of fighting for it. People forget this stuff survived the ages because it's entertaining slop, not because it's deep or profound.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

So, they developed a concept where they could defeat a conventional enemy without changing anything. They could still use the lightweight expeditionary army, but also fight Russia and China. Contractors remain, SF remains, we don’t need to increase labour costs or conscript, we’ll just defeat Guards Motor Rifles with networked digital systems and laser designators.

NATO Mont'ka vs Russian Kauyon.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

The West needs about 20 years of movies and CoD sequels about how motorized infantry/trench digger with a basic loadout is actually the coolest and most elite thing you can do, then gradually reintroduce those elements into existing SF units, they'll never notice. The lanyards can call it the WarFighter 2030 Program or some poo poo

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Press F to dig

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Gonna go ahead and say the guy posting a very detailed snuff film shouldn't get to post anymore

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Nix Panicus posted:

Suddenly remembering the Arthurian discourse and thinking about someone doing a class 500 years from now asking about the significance of Tony Stark's last words being a statement of identity, or why Dr. Strange gave the Time Stone to Thanos in an act of self sacrifice instead of fighting for it. People forget this stuff survived the ages because it's entertaining slop, not because it's deep or profound.

it survives because everyone gets to have their own take on the canon with each subsequent generation, so as a living body of literature you can study how it morphs and reflects the values of the day over time. people are definitely going to be studying the MCU even if only because of how it reflects liberal imperialism back to the viewers while pretending there’s the possibility of doing a better kind of liberal imperialism.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Even the stupid Counter-Strike ripoff game "America's Army" that made you do dumb boring poo poo like watch first aid lectures did not make you dig trenches.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
That game kinda ruled

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Nix Panicus posted:

Narratives reflect the ideology of the society which created it. There's a reason that marvel's foremost characters are a defense contractor, a WW2 soldier, and several doctors. These are the men that society believes will save the world because they are valued by society.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

Okay, so the only long term solution is to partition Ukraine and give half to Austria and half to Russia.

You forgot to carve out the neutral buffer state, you fool!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Turtle Sandbox posted:

You forgot to carve out the neutral buffer state, you fool!

Ukraine was the neutral buffer state, and it didn't work. It's time to try something new.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Nix Panicus posted:

:argh:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cookie Cutter posted:

The West needs about 20 years of movies and CoD sequels about how motorized infantry/trench digger with a basic loadout is actually the coolest and most elite thing you can do, then gradually reintroduce those elements into existing SF units, they'll never notice. The lanyards can call it the WarFighter 2030 Program or some poo poo

I think, un ironically, this would work. It’s what the US Army did in the late 50’s early 60’s to get everyone excited to be mech infantry. In WW2 obviously you know the panzergrenadiers and Soviet tank desant troops, but as only a single battalion of infantry in a Commonweath Armoured Brigade had halftracks, and I think only slightly more in an Armoured Division, that was very sought after as well - compared to walking or even being with the trucks in the other motorized infantry units.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 16:10 on Jul 18, 2023

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

There's gonna be a whole class on Loki's arc from villain to tragic hero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Lostconfused posted:

Even the stupid Counter-Strike ripoff game "America's Army" that made you do dumb boring poo poo like watch first aid lectures did not make you dig trenches.

You could make digging trenches cool if you were doing it with an earth mover, like the Russians have been doing. Tons of Eurojob simulators already.