Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

mystes posted:

Japanese mapo tofu typically has essentially zero spiciness and it may have some other weird stuff added sometimes

Which again, would be weird to me, because all of the depictions in Japanese media has it as insanely spicy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Most "spicy" Japanese food was in the same room as a chili pepper once, maybe.

Though every once in a while ordering max heat everywhere will get you. Got a couple curries where they were not loving around.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Somebody once told me that the Japanese palate can be summed up by five flavors: soy sauce, mirin, salt, sugar, and dashi. And that most Japanese cooking is a function of those five ingredients, just in different proportions.

Which is fine, that's what you go eat Japanese food for, but, y'know. When EVERYTHING gets focused through that lens, you lose something.

They forgot curry.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Japanese cuisine really brings to (my) mind the Shanghainese/Jiangsu and Cantonese cuisines. Emphasis on the freshness and characteristics of an ingredient, literally zero chili peppers, absolutely batshit about fresh seafood. Maybe Jiangsu/Shanghai differs the most in the liberal use of dark and light soy sauce, oil, sugar and yellow rice wine?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
There's also a lot of regional variation in Japanese cuisine, same as there is everywhere else. The sorta "Japanese food be like..." thing about five flavours really isn't a good summary of, for example, Okinawan cooking. Or the native Ainu cuisine of Hokkaido, if it gets included in "Japanese" here.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I think you can always find exceptions but we're purposely painting with broad strokes here, right?

I did feel that after my years in Japan, much of the food fell in just a few very distinct categories that were all just some variations of themselves. Not that they were bad or I didn't like it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

totalnewbie posted:

I think you can always find exceptions but we're purposely painting with broad strokes here, right?

I did feel that after my years in Japan, much of the food fell in just a few very distinct categories that were all just some variations of themselves. Not that they were bad or I didn't like it.

You can do it with regional distinctions between a lot of places with overlap, but there are just going to be some general techniques and flavor profiles that show up a lot within those regions. It’s not a stretch to say that a lot (not all) of Japanese cooking uses a few basic ingredients as that’s what was commonly available years ago when the regional identity was forming. But sub variation will exist, just like BBQ arguments in the US or burrito arguments on the west coast. Or the differences you find when one place copies/adapts a dish for their local ingredients. I’m sure huajiao wasn’t easy to find in Japan 50 years ago, so they’d have used the sansho peppercorn instead when adapting for mapo tofu.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I mean maybe but when I look at what authentic sichuan mapo tofu looks like in cooking videos and what I make myself and then look at like, the mapo tofu scenes in Food Wars or Heaven's Feel they look accounting for art style basically identical? I'm not sure how the flavours can be radically different. Are the recipes actually different?

Like to be clear anime isn't real life but if it looks the same across virtually every depiction in Japanese animated media I think it isn't unreasonable to think that's maybe the version of mapo tofu the animators are used to when they eat Chinese food; so either they're going out of their way for authentic chinese food in Tokyo or wherever they're located or mapo tofu in Japan is probably not that bad and maybe its just bad luck?

I know sure as hell in Montreal and Ottawa I've yet to find a good dish of mapo tofu that looks like the authentic version.

What you think of as Mapo Tofu in Japan is probably similar to what most people in Japan think it is. But I also think the kind of people who write food-oriented anime know what Mapo Tofu is supposed to be like. You can find Japanese foodies who look at Japanese carbonara with disgust, so I'm sure the same is true for Chinese food.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
There was a place where I used to live where both their chicken and pork was thinly sliced and had this amazing slight crispiness to it without any breading/batter, as far as I could tell anyway.

Any guess what that would be? Just sort of had a slight crunch around the edges and stuff, and it held up really well to sauce without immediately getting soggy. I presume some of that is just heat from a real wok, but I'm guessing there was something in the marinade they used too.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Rescue Toaster posted:

There was a place where I used to live where both their chicken and pork was thinly sliced and had this amazing slight crispiness to it without any breading/batter, as far as I could tell anyway.

Any guess what that would be? Just sort of had a slight crunch around the edges and stuff, and it held up really well to sauce without immediately getting soggy. I presume some of that is just heat from a real wok, but I'm guessing there was something in the marinade they used too.

I would guess it’s corn starch in the marinade and either a quick shallow or deep fry of the chicken/pork to make it crispy and take 20 seconds to cook. It wouldn’t be a thick batter, just enough to coat things and help it stick to the protein.

Disreputable Dog
Dec 16, 2010

Rescue Toaster posted:

Could also be potato starch or tapioca starch, similar to cornstarch. Potato starch more common in Korean food IIRC.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Also potato starch tends to make for crispier, less protein than vorn flour etc iirc

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/ponchorebound/status/1665527325436399618?s=46&t=Kzmv5HsyFqNWsBcA-dIRLA

Same place:

https://twitter.com/farakayss/status/1665906508335398913?s=46&t=Kzmv5HsyFqNWsBcA-dIRLA

Apparently Xian Famous Foods, a chain in NY

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 7, 2023

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Apparently Xian Famous Foods, a chain in NY

He and his dad (who I'm convinced is the real hero here), did a video for Munchies a bit ago too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dcv-MD6_4DA

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
It's really, really true. You cannot have those noodles other than fresh.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Yeah, I just watched that video, and that dish is 100% about the noodle-making technique. The other ingredients are very simple and plain.
It's beautifully stripped-down.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Nickoten posted:

Indian Chinese food, like Hakka stuff, is pretty ballin. There was some Youtuber who did a video on Peruvian too which I want to try at some point.

Edit: Found the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clAO-gMdE2o

Gobi Manchurian is just a fantastic dish everyone should make

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What is "red fermented bean curd" and what kind of labeling should I look out for?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That Old Ganon posted:

What is "red fermented bean curd" and what kind of labeling should I look out for?

Furu. It's fermented tofu, pretty much how it sounds. It's not like stinky tofu, it's more of a savory funky thing.

This is the jar you're most likely to find. Should be at any Chinese grocery.

E: Bunch more detail here. https://www.seriouseats.com/how-to-use-furu-fermented-bean-curd-6750888

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

It's really, really true. You cannot have those noodles other than fresh.

I just found out that they sell meal kits which include their noodle dishes.
https://xiankits.com/collections/meal-kits

I haven't found any comparable restaurants in my part NJ so I'm awfully tempted by those meal kits.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Grand Fromage posted:

Furu. It's fermented tofu, pretty much how it sounds. It's not like stinky tofu, it's more of a savory funky thing.

This is the jar you're most likely to find. Should be at any Chinese grocery.

E: Bunch more detail here. https://www.seriouseats.com/how-to-use-furu-fermented-bean-curd-6750888
Thank you very much, I'd never seen or heard about this until I encountered a Woks of Life recipe using it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

That Old Ganon posted:

Thank you very much, I'd never seen or heard about this until I encountered a Woks of Life recipe using it.

it tastes kinda like a moderately strong french cheese

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

That Old Ganon posted:

It's pretty good. Other than as a sauce component a popular use is just smear a cube of it on your bowl of rice. Also shelf stable so if your grocery doesn't have it you can get it on The Internet.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
White fuyu and ong choy. Could eat it every for the rest of my life, if it weren't for seasonality.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 14, 2023

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've been binging this man's videos, and in this particular one, is there another way to translate "beef sauce?"

https://youtu.be/5Wh2X4jwC4Q

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

That Old Ganon posted:

I've been binging this man's videos, and in this particular one, is there another way to translate "beef sauce?"

https://youtu.be/5Wh2X4jwC4Q

Beef sauce is the literal translation of the Chinese name. He calls it a xiafan, which means send the rice down--it's a broad category for dishes that aren't meant to be eaten by themselves at all, they're put on your rice and eaten that way. That stuff looks dope, never heard of it before.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
This channel is great. I love that half of that video is just him eating the food and saying "this tastes so good."

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Wow that guy loves meat

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Eeyo posted:

Wow that guy loves meat
He has an episode where he addresses this and jokes that the pig he's about to dispatch ate all his vegetables.

Grand Fromage posted:

Beef sauce is the literal translation of the Chinese name. He calls it a xiafan, which means send the rice down--it's a broad category for dishes that aren't meant to be eaten by themselves at all, they're put on your rice and eaten that way. That stuff looks dope, never heard of it before.
This is very cool to know, thank you. I love dishes to just throw on top of rice, it's great just knowing xiafan exists.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

That Old Ganon posted:

This is very cool to know, thank you. I love dishes to just throw on top of rice, it's great just knowing xiafan exists.

Here's a whole playlist full of em. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrwj0yE_2deA_MCqaNICwDFxlfPv9d_8o

This one is my favorite, I make it a lot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAkpLrvhoSg&t=114s

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I love this stuff.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Between the spectacle and the unwieldiness of a wok, I am thinking of adapting this to turkey, for a mixed-generational thanksgiving meal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiATMIhptW0

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I just discovered this amazing channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nghpQMF6SOk

The dude is insanely charismatic, like a Chinese Gordon Ramsay, very funny and informative and the recipes seem great and I want to try them out.

"Calm down." :haw:

mystes
May 31, 2006

if by "charismatic" you mean "hot" I guess

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The most infuriating part of that video: "you'll get cancer", loving.... Asians and "you'll get cancer". The absolute level of backwater juju ignorance on display. I refuse to take medical opinions from anyone that believes a fan running while you're sleeping will kill you.

Could not watch any more past that point.

mystes
May 31, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The most infuriating part of that video: "you'll get cancer", loving.... Asians and "you'll get cancer". The absolute level of backwater juju ignorance on display. I refuse to take medical opinions from anyone that believes a fan running while you're sleeping will kill you.

what

mystes
May 31, 2006

Are you talking about the part at 9:25 where he says it won't give you cancer and you just decided he said the opposite of what he did because you're so racist you don't know the difference between China and South Korea?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

SwissArmyDruid posted:

He said the opposite, I think maybe one of his customers interjected and said that and he responded sarcastically "Thanks for your input :geno:" and then he talks more about it a minute later about how you'd really have to screw up for anything unhealthy to happen to you from cooking with oil?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

SwissArmyDruid posted:

loving.... Asians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I sometimes worry about heating oils so I give you permission to complain about white people if you want though