Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Peggy Edson posted:

the Twins suck poo poo and should be nowhere near the playoffs so they should just shut him down now

Are you a mcmagic alt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

IcePhoenix posted:

Are you a mcmagic alt

was i rite or nah?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
don't look now.....but the cardinals are only 12 games below .500

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mcmagic posted:

was i rite or nah?

I think rickiep00h covered it pretty well

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Mike_V posted:

It’s gonna be so funny when they take 3 of 4 from the Cubs this weekend

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

DeepDickPizza posted:

It’s gonna be so funny when they take 3 of 4 from the Cubs this weekend

You think the Cubs are actually going to win one?

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

R.D. Mangles posted:

You think the Cubs are actually going to win one?

Just trying to be optimistic

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I'm not sure what you guys are seeing to indicate the Twins are good. The starting pitching has been great for sure, but everything else hasn't. The hitting is unbearable and the relief pitching is the same dogshit core as last year.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Peggy Edson posted:

I'm not sure what you guys are seeing to indicate the Twins are good.

The Twins

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

lol yep 48-47 in the AL Central, World Series here we come!!!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Peggy Edson posted:

lol yep 48-47 in the AL Central, World Series here we come!!!

Ah see now you've moved the goalposts. Are they a WS team? Probably not. Are they an ALCS team? Maybe! Are they an ALDS team? Probably! Are they gonna get bounced in the WC round? Maybe!

All they need to do is hit as well as this team is capable of. With Polanco and Lewis coming back in the next few weeks, Correa picking up, and some Brain Magic for Buxton, we'd be a solidly competitive team, instead of just the "best" team in a weak division.

Considering the hitting problem isn't JUST Buxton, it IS curious, and it IS an organizational thing, I WOULD like to see the approach shift across the board.

But saying they're not playoff capable is just plain ignorant.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Mike_V posted:

My relentless complaining about them has inspired them to take two of three against the only team in the NL with a worse record. Truly the devil birdos are Back

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The Wrigley Field Massacre is the last time I felt pure joy (because of baseball)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The Red Sox are no longer in last place! :toot:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I agree the Twins should sell. Trade Buxton and Correa to Houston it's the only way to be sure.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

howe_sam posted:

The Red Sox are no longer in last place! :toot:

this is a good time for everyone in the al east to band together and say "gently caress the yankees"

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

rickiep00h posted:

Ah see now you've moved the goalposts. Are they a WS team? Probably not. Are they an ALCS team? Maybe! Are they an ALDS team? Probably! Are they gonna get bounced in the WC round? Maybe!
the Phillies made the World Series after only 87 wins just last year, what is this nonsense?

there is no such thing as a "World Series Team", October is chaos

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

so when does Ohtani start getting the juiced balls?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Has Aaron Judge's family started saying that his record is the legitimate MLB home run record yet? That's when you know it's getting serious.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Looking forward to Maris Jr hanging onto the "most HRs by a right hander in the AL" record for Judge after Ohtani hits 70

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I’m so sad Anthony Rizzo has fallen completely off a cliff

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

bawfuls posted:

When the trade to the Diamondbacks is finalized and he can finally start chasing the playoffs!

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

rickiep00h posted:

All they need to do is hit as well as this team is capable of. With Polanco and Lewis coming back in the next few weeks, Correa picking up, and some Brain Magic for Buxton, we'd be a solidly competitive team, instead of just the "best" team in a weak division.

Considering the hitting problem isn't JUST Buxton, it IS curious, and it IS an organizational thing, I WOULD like to see the approach shift across the board.

But saying they're not playoff capable is just plain ignorant.

ok maybe but my heart can't take extending the playoff losing streak even more

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

bawfuls posted:

This is the Angels do you think it will actually come to fruition

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Peggy Edson posted:

ok maybe but my heart can't take extending the playoff losing streak even more

the fun part is that the rotation being this good means that this Twins team is even more "set up" for playoff success than any trip in the last decade+ so it will hurt even more when they lose every game 2-1

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

bawfuls posted:

The fact Ohtani does this while also pitching just makes Judge's season (with juiced balls) look very pedestrian.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Again, trade Ohtani to the NL so he can win both MVPs

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

MrMidnight posted:

The fact Ohtani does this while also pitching just makes Judge's season (with juiced balls) look very pedestrian.

It's almost like Ohtani should have won AL MVP last year or something!

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Carlosologist posted:

Apparently he's 100% healthy per Boone. I'm not buying it

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Carlosologist posted:

Rizzo just does this. He'll completely forget how to hit for 2-3 months and then suddenly become the hottest hitter on the planet for the next 2-3.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

thehoodie posted:

this is a good time for everyone band together and say "gently caress the yankees"

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
It's July and the Yankees are in last place.

Sure, they'd have a two game lead in the AL Central but just let me have my moment.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

rickiep00h posted:

The Twins still have the best pitching in the AL.

Of the 10 qualified hitters they have, THREE are above 100 OPS+, and Buxton somehowisn't even the worst of those who are below.

They've pretty consistently been one of the best-hitting teams in the AL until this year. They SHOULD be winning the Central, but a lot more handily than they currently are. It's ain't just Buxton, but having him even 90% would be better than... whatever is happening now.

They're the only AL Central team with a positive run differential. It's sad how bad the AL Central is this season.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

General Bullshit posted:

They're the only AL Central team with a positive run differential. It's sad how bad the AL Central is this season.

The Cubs are the only team with a positive run differential in the NL Central and they're in 3rd place.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Alden_Gonzalez/status/1681369757751345152

Personally I think it would be really cool of Marquee could also go bankrupt so that MLB had to take over and we could bury the dismal three-man booth experience once and for all.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/Alden_Gonzalez/status/1681369757751345152

Personally I think it would be really cool of Marquee could also go bankrupt so that MLB had to take over and we could bury the dismal three-man booth experience once and for all.

It would rule but also MLB absolutely would manage to mishandle the rights even if they had all of them.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Sydin posted:

Rizzo just does this. He'll completely forget how to hit for 2-3 months and then suddenly become the hottest hitter on the planet for the next 2-3.

It’s a little more concerning because he’s chasing more and not hitting the ball hard at all. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if it came out that he still had lingering pain from the collision with Tatis back in May.

Apparently Statcast is due to come out with a bat speed metric which I’ll be really interested to see if it can confirm which guys are slowing down

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Sydin posted:

It's almost like Ohtani should have won AL MVP last year or something!

:hmmyes:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
MLB should take over all teams broadcast rights. Unfortunately I don't think Marquee is going anywhere anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

The Cubs are the only team with a positive run differential in the NL Central and they're in 3rd place.

They're really good at winning big and losing small. Their record is 16-31 (.340) in games decided by 3 or fewer runs. They're 27-19 (.587) in games decided by 4 runs or more.

Here's the entire distribution:
  • 1-run games: 9-12
  • 2-run games: 3-11
  • 3-run games: 4-8
  • 4-run games: 7-6
  • 5-run games: 4-3
  • 6-run games: 5-4
  • 7-run games: 3-0
  • 8-run games: 3-0
  • 9-run games: 3-3
  • 10-run games: 1-2
  • 13-run games: 1-1