Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

gradenko_2000 posted:

Maybe the Democrats shouldn't have conceded human trafficking efforts to the far-right

I'm sorry, are you trying to suggest a problem exists? I think, if you will look critically, you will see we live in the best of all possible worlds

America is already great, you see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

they're just a money laundering org pretending to be a bank

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/bank-america-pay-1665-billion-historic-justice-department-settlement-financial-fraud-leading

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

that’s not a movie right now tho

AloePieceOfShit
Jan 26, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

Maybe the Democrats shouldn't have conceded human trafficking efforts to the far-right

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Banks are back, baby!

SCHW making some moves too.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The one closest to me has a 40 minute drive-thru line at lunch every day. who waits in line 40 minutes for a sandwich

I have no idea what the wait times are now, but there was a period of time in the Chicago suburbs where the wait time at a hot dog chain would routinely get that long at lunch. Portillo’s drive-thrus would all have cars backed out on the street in some cases. And that was with a ton of people working in the kitchen, and extra people outside taking orders in person and runners for the food. It was always crazy at lunch.

The original owner sold shortly before the pandemic, and I have heard the quality has suffered, so no idea what the wait times are like now.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/abc/status/1681125288409808897

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

thank goodness the Biden administration has an expert on fixing bread prices

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

thank goodness inflation has supposedly plummeted heres everything that you need to survive that keeps rising

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/business/status/1681286454041796608

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Sounds like the ups should give its workers everything they're demanding then

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Truniht posted:

it’s insane to me that people refer to people who are nearly 40 as “younger generation”

My grandparents never stopped referring to boomers as the “younger generation” even when the average boomer age was like 55. We’re a gerontocracy, and compared to the 80 year old president and 90 year old senators we have, we’re all a bunch of little tykes.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Grey Fox posted:

thank goodness the Biden administration has an expert on fixing bread prices

He fixed bread prices but hasn't fixed the trains, many such cases

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

60% of Spain’s crops failed so far this year. The grain export deal for Ukraine is off after their crimean bridge attack. Canada’s bread basket is on fire. Greedflation is still a thing.

Expect the bread and games to become sparser.

(imagine i wrote this all in caps from a bloomberg terminal)

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

somewhere Obama is on alert

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Popoto posted:

60% of Spain’s crops failed so far this year. The grain export deal for Ukraine is off after their crimean bridge attack. Canada’s bread basket is on fire. Greedflation is still a thing.

Expect the bread and games to become sparser.

(imagine i wrote this all in caps from a bloomberg terminal)

how does this impact consumer and business confidence though

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Buffer posted:

It's always seemed real real easy to me to just like, not eat a sandwich or not buy the blood libel game, or not watch the TERF's special - that's not even doing things it's not doing things.

same. really don’t understand it - oh no I can’t boycott Amazon because I can’t stop myself from sitting at my computer, typing in “Amazon.com” and then shopping for stuff in their website it’s so hard boycotts are so difficult!!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

i am harry posted:

same. really don’t understand it - oh no I can’t boycott Amazon because I can’t stop myself from sitting at my computer, typing in “Amazon.com” and then shopping for stuff in their website it’s so hard boycotts are so difficult!!

one of the excuses I used to hear was that what if they weren't physically capable of shopping for themselves and so needed to be able to shop online to have their basic necessities delivered to their door

and like... couldn't you plan a couple of days ahead and have some things stocked-up so you maybe don't need to order from Amazon precisely on the day of the boycott?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
someone should remind the chuds their is no ethical consumption under capitalism:agesilaus:

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

superman can’t fly. he can only leap very high, such as over tall buildings.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

gradenko_2000 posted:

one of the excuses I used to hear was that what if they weren't physically capable of shopping for themselves and so needed to be able to shop online to have their basic necessities delivered to their door

and like... couldn't you plan a couple of days ahead and have some things stocked-up so you maybe don't need to order from Amazon precisely on the day of the boycott?

You don't even need to go this far.

If you somehow need to order from Amazon to survive then just.. order from Amazon. The number of people for whom that is true is vanishingly small, so who cares? It's not an argument against boycotts being effective or good. The vast majority of Amazon shoppers do not in any way need to order from Amazon, so all those people can stop.

You can ignore every single liberal argument in this particular category because the answer is always that the people who legitimately need to do a thing to survive can just keep doing the thing, and everyone else can stop.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/NDIAToday/status/1670778538146902197?t=a2VyA4Q6zbGDWOgeEvrXCA&s=19

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

In Training posted:

it's because there's more reactionaries than leftists in the US. sorry you had to find out this way

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I'm still kinda surprised at the Bud Light thing because I can't remember any of these other chud freakouts actually causing any significant damage

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Switching to a different identical beer is the easiest thing in the world, so this was really low-hanging fruit for a boycott.

Also, it's hard to overstate how bad transphobia and straight-up anti-transgender sentiment is right now. It's a much more violently divisive situation than a lot of other culture war stuff, and you've got psychopaths stirring up incredible amounts of hatred in "normal" conservative circles.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

lmao so apparently all that bud light trans panic poo poo really did cause a huge number of chuds to switch beers. miller and coors both jumped 15-20% in sales while bud light fell 17%

Finally we can stop publicly acting like the gays are ok. Few more boycotts like this and no one will dare show support for the LGBTQ crowd!

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Willa Rogers posted:

The tables have turned; now the right is boycotting chick fil a bc of their DEI initiatives or something.

But yah, people came up with the strangest justifications for why they had to eat there, lol.

Weirdest one was people acting like they have good food.

Apr 7, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

Switching to a different identical beer is the easiest thing in the world, so this was really low-hanging fruit for a boycott.

Also, it's hard to overstate how bad transphobia and straight-up anti-transgender sentiment is right now. It's a much more violently divisive situation than a lot of other culture war stuff, and you've got psychopaths stirring up incredible amounts of hatred in "normal" conservative circles.

It's neat that Christopher Rufo straight up said "this is a great issue to unite conservatives on by stirring up bullshit hate, so I'm going to do that and here's my roadmap for doing so," and no one ever called him on it or pointed out that this panic is completely artificial.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

I'm still kinda surprised at the Bud Light thing because I can't remember any of these other chud freakouts actually causing any significant damage

I thought the issue with Bud Light wasn’t just the Chuds boycotting the brand. It was that Budweiser’s response also got all the Trans people to drop bud as well. And I am sure some other groups stopped drinking it in solidarity with the Trans people (or something). So Bud managed to piss everyone off, and almost everyone stopped drinking it.

Couple that with what others have said, that there are a dozen other nearly identical lite beers to choose from at the store or at the bar, and it is an easy thing to change.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Paradoxish posted:

I keep trying to think of something comparable and really can't. It's something you have to specifically go to get, hard to order, but the place you get it from has a million other varieties at comparable costs.

Boycotting a place in a fixed location is way harder - you could boycott chikfila, but now you have to drive twice as far to Popeyes. Same with target vs its competitors.

The closest I can think of is chips or candy bars, but those don't even have the same level of variety and I feel like people care even more about their favorites for those. So it's hard to imagine someone switching from Reese's to Skittles. And those still don't have the social component of parties/bars where your consumption is public.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ebiketips/status/1681239144230531073?t=sjvCKYJK8qB9Tph8CAiP_g&s=19

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Koirhor posted:

somewhere Obama is on alert

not worried, biden has their back!

https://twitter.com/donkoclock/status/1680749557615939584

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lmao

Apr 7, 2003

lol my workplace is screaming "STOP USING UPS FOR VITAL STUFF RIGHT NOW" at us

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Joe is not, in fact, pro union. you absolute rubes

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
TikTok has introduced me to a group of communal airbnb landlords

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lol of course it's Florida.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

I should've bought that loving KitchenAid when it went on prime day sale

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

HallelujahLee posted:

thank goodness inflation has supposedly plummeted heres everything that you need to survive that keeps rising

The index upon which the SSA determines CoL increases looks like it's going to be around 3 percent for next year's adjustment although inflation in stuff like drug prices that affects seniors the most is above 10 percent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Weirdest one was people acting like they have good food.

I've never eaten there even when I lived where they had chick fil a bc the idea of breaded chicken served in more bread is repulsive. Same with fish sandwiches at other fast foods.