Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Heath posted:

People getting mad at Chappelle and talking about basically constantly made him more popular and basically only made everybody annoyed.

Did they though? My perception is that most people went 'eeeh' and stopped paying attention to him anymore. More apathy than antipathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Incitatus posted:

Hogwart's Legacy benefitted massively from all the attention.

It was probably going to get a ton of attention anyway, but the actual material effect of everybody going on about it, as far as I can see, is that every single thread on this forum spent a good two months talking about JK Rowling's transphobia at every available outlet as though we weren't all already aware of it. Not a single loving person was convinced to not buy the game who wasn't already on board with not buying the game, and a bunch of people who said they weren't going to buy the game just loving bought it anyway. It's utterly inconsequential, except that it just annoys everyone. JK Rowling is still massively rich, successful and influential, and the people who liked her just took it all as justification for her persecution or whatever.

The tenor of these things boils down to the idea that the only acceptable way to approach something bigoted is that you absolutely must devote attention to it proportional to how popular it is. That is, you absolutely must have an opinion on whatever dipshit comedian is going on about whatever thing it is they're pissed off about, and you are not doing your due diligence by expressing negative opinions of them to people who may have enjoyed their comedy. If someone says they laughed at some Chappelle bit, you have a moral duty to correct the record about Chappelle and call them out about it. Simply choosing not to have an opinion or not to give him attention isn't acceptable, because you've allowed someone out there to have an unchecked positive opinion of him, and that increases the bigotry in the world, or something. Being neutral, not because you don't have an opinion but because it simply isn't worth the investment of one's time or energy to talk about some ancient comedian's routine or a book series for children, is itself bigotry. Or even taking the tack that simply giving it attention of any kind, positive or negative, simply bolsters the thing you dislike, and choosing to not engage with it at all, that is also condoning the bigotry. People are very quick to buy into the capitalist logic that withholding your money from something is materially impactful in condemning it, but for some reason withholding your attention from something is tacitly accepting it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
That's a lot of words to say posting is praxis

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Anders posted:

Did they though? My perception is that most people went 'eeeh' and stopped paying attention to him anymore. More apathy than antipathy

"Your cancelling me has just made me more popular" is a very popular take, among chuds.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

ilmucche posted:

That's a lot of words to say posting is praxis

I specifically said the opposite of this!!

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Also, epic couch scene in Chappelle's Show

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

InsertPotPun posted:

reading about the muppets behind the scenes is always fascinating because everyone who works with muppets says the same thing "you can't help but think of the muppet as a person". the muppets were filming something and the sound people could not figure out why kermit's sound was so poo poo. eventually they figured out that they put a microphone on kermit and not the performer. ralph the dog, who is a piece of fabric with two men under him, has to frequently remind directors and others that he can't actually hear them and they have to address the muppeteers.
aaanyway. just wanted to talk about the muppets for a minute. michael cain's consternation at talking to muppets is always hilarious. he legit felt stupid at first but couldn't help himself

Adam Savage has some good videos from his trips to the Jim Henson Workshop and doing poo poo like finding out how they make the eyes or how the new Doozers work

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
Maybe use kanye as your cancelled dude example instead of chappelle, cause kanye can still produce a decent album and chappelle cant anymore

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

RDM posted:

Maybe use kanye as your cancelled dude example instead of chappelle, cause kanye can still produce a decent album and chappelle cant anymore

Wow so black guys are just interchangeable to you huh??

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

RDM posted:

Kanye hasn’t made a good album since Graduation.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Heath posted:

It was probably going to get a ton of attention anyway, but the actual material effect of everybody going on about it, as far as I can see, is that every single thread on this forum spent a good two months talking about JK Rowling's transphobia at every available outlet as though we weren't all already aware of it. Not a single loving person was convinced to not buy the game who wasn't already on board with not buying the game, and a bunch of people who said they weren't going to buy the game just loving bought it anyway. It's utterly inconsequential, except that it just annoys everyone. JK Rowling is still massively rich, successful and influential, and the people who liked her just took it all as justification for her persecution or whatever.

The tenor of these things boils down to the idea that the only acceptable way to approach something bigoted is that you absolutely must devote attention to it proportional to how popular it is. That is, you absolutely must have an opinion on whatever dipshit comedian is going on about whatever thing it is they're pissed off about, and you are not doing your due diligence by expressing negative opinions of them to people who may have enjoyed their comedy. If someone says they laughed at some Chappelle bit, you have a moral duty to correct the record about Chappelle and call them out about it. Simply choosing not to have an opinion or not to give him attention isn't acceptable, because you've allowed someone out there to have an unchecked positive opinion of him, and that increases the bigotry in the world, or something. Being neutral, not because you don't have an opinion but because it simply isn't worth the investment of one's time or energy to talk about some ancient comedian's routine or a book series for children, is itself bigotry. Or even taking the tack that simply giving it attention of any kind, positive or negative, simply bolsters the thing you dislike, and choosing to not engage with it at all, that is also condoning the bigotry. People are very quick to buy into the capitalist logic that withholding your money from something is materially impactful in condemning it, but for some reason withholding your attention from something is tacitly accepting it.

It's also a matter of picking your battles. If you go around scolding everyone for liking Harry Potter or having something positive to say about some Chappelle sketch, it is you who looks like a loving rear end in a top hat and it is ultimately counter-productive. However, directly criticizing stupid poo poo they (right-aligned personalities) say in the near present is a worthwhile thing to do. I get that the meta right now is that righteous indignation is more powerful than optics but it's a losing strategy in the long run.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
Hmmm yes, pointing out bigotry makes you the rear end in a top hat because its annoying. Sorry that not wanting to give bigots an inch is just soooooo hard for you to deal with.

Very smart. Very cool.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

why haven't elon and jk rowling formed the ultimate power couple yet, seems so obvious

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

gently caress bigots, it's really that simple. They don't get an inch to breathe.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

RDM posted:

i enjoy a lot of kanye's music, and i was even a bit of a life of pablo apologist for a minute, but his last album was absolutely terrible, and no its definitely not just because of his lovely political opinions

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Totbot posted:

Hmmm yes, pointing out bigotry makes you the rear end in a top hat because its annoying. Sorry that not wanting to give bigots an inch is just soooooo hard for you to deal with.

Very smart. Very cool.

Barking at people for liking Harry Potter isn't the same as pointing out bigotry.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Bad Purchase posted:

why haven't elon and jk rowling formed the ultimate power couple yet, seems so obvious

Her being older than a child may be a deal killer

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

...! posted:

A good example of this is Seinfeld. It was great back in its time but comedy has improved so much since then that by today's standards Seinfeld just seems painfully unfunny. I can't watch it.

It's less standards have improved and more Seinfeld was basically like, the genesis of a lot of aspects of modern comedy. Everything good about it has been taken and improved upon or parodied into oblivion, so even people who have never even watched Seinfeld, still more or less know Seinfeld.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

DeeplyConcerned posted:

It would be great if someone did a subtitle of that Hitler in the war room scene in that movie, but with Elon musk as Hitler

"Everyone below gold check, leave the room now"

Someone already did Downfall

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://youtu.be/Ko8C3surjhM

Elon is desperate to get out of Twitter and is sueing the lawyers that supposedly forced him to make bad decisions.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Heath posted:

"stop talking about fascists guys, its annoying"

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

The year is 2029. The world is a smoking ruin after the Final Civil War. Heath sits alone in a burned out shelter, wondering if perhaps if we'd ignored them a little harder, if things could have gone differently.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Kanye hasn’t made a good album since Graduation.

Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is maybe one of the best albums ever. Power. Devil in a New Dress. All of the Lights. Monster. Runaway. Lost in the World and a goddamn remix of a Gil Scott Heron poem.

Kanye sucks now, but goddamn the disrespect.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

Jelly posted:

"stop talking about fascists guys, its annoying"

Jelly posted:

They already took notes from that absolutely pathetic sack of poo poo Lesley Stahl. I hope that jezebel gets twat herpes.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

can we talk about misogynists?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Incitatus posted:

I was gonna say it's not fair to dig through someone's post history and quote poo poo they said years ago to own them, but, uh, hm.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

Heath posted:

I was gonna say it's not fair to dig through someone's post history and quote poo poo they said years ago to own them, but, uh, hm.

Its from May

*edit I am dumb and this was implied*

Incitatus fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 18, 2023

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko8C3surjhM

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

OneEightHundred posted:

I'm having a hard time figuring out his intents because he's a pathological liar, so nothing he says about his intentions and Twitter's status can really be trusted at all.

His decisionmaking reminds me mostly of Eddie Lampert, the guy who destroyed Sears by basically doing various things to screw over everyone with a financial interest in Sears succeeding while self-dealing, enriching himself, and creating plausible deniability of the whole thing being just bad management.

There is basically no decision that he's made since taking over that doesn't track with intentionally destroying the company, and there are valid reasons for someone to do that, but I think Elon's motives are more that he's a narcissistic douche with too much money and he figures that since he bought it, then it's his toy to play with now, and he really doesn't care if he runs it into the ground if that's the price of never having to listen to anybody else, especially advertisers.

The world is profoundly unfair and Elon Musk got to be the richest man in it despite being obviously and visibly incompetent

That's the explanation

There's no secret scheme. There's no deliberate plan. He's just that bad at this and has nobody to save him from himself. He's making what he thinks are the best decisions to run a platform because he's the World's Greatest Engineer and he's got solutions all these other idiots haven't thought of yet. When his decision blows up in his face, he blames someone else and goes on to his next blunder.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is maybe one of the best albums ever. Power. Devil in a New Dress. All of the Lights. Monster. Runaway. Lost in the World and a goddamn remix of a Gil Scott Heron poem.

Kanye sucks now, but goddamn the disrespect.

Watch The Throne was also very good, but that was a collaborative effort of Jay-Z, Beyoncé, Frank Ocean, Kid Cudi, LMFAO and a fuckton of other insanely talented people pulling West's at-that-point degenerating rear end across the finish line.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Kanye hasn’t made a good album since Graduation Yeezus.
Are elon and kanye still cool?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

temple posted:

Kanye got banned days after EMus made a show of unbanning him.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Heath posted:

People getting mad at Chappelle and talking about basically constantly made him more popular and basically only made everybody annoyed. The vast majority of people, if you're going to police their entertainment for its political messages, especially if they're not already open to even listening in the first place, tend to react negatively or become defensive. Hence why all of these fucks try to get cancelled nowadays. It's an attention goldmine. If doing this has any material effect at all, it's one that never works in your favor, ultimately, except to make you miserable by relentlessly scanning everything for whether it has the right kind of politics for you to laugh at or enjoy.

You say this but I’m not sure it did make him more popular. Maybe with a certain sort of person. In any case, as another poster said it’s about tact and picking your battles to not become that whiny jerk who always has to bring up the politics of every single thing, but that doesn’t mean we should be silent on bigots. I think this also extends to when making some noise will ultimately boost sales - I don’t give a poo poo about Chapelle or Rowling’a commercial success, but I do care about making sure bigoted people feel uncomfortable in my presence and those being discriminated against know that they have an ally in me, and that I think is something we should all strive for.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

temple posted:

Kayne. Elon. Trump.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

nine-gear crow posted:

Watch The Throne was also very good, but that was a collaborative effort of Jay-Z, Beyoncé, Frank Ocean, Kid Cudi, LMFAO and a fuckton of other insanely talented people pulling West's at-that-point degenerating rear end across the finish line.

Crow, I will fight you over this, but Watch the Throne was produced by Kanye, he only showed up in some songs on the album and got too much credit. I know this because it came out the week of my honeymoon and I listened through it on the way to and from your miserable country (it was Montreal, so don't be too offended). He was a secondary factor in the whole thing. Some of the mixing was amazing (Otis being what it is) but Kanye's contributions as an actual rapper are replacement level.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

I once had a boss who, upon learning that a critical piece of deeply complex software failed largely because he dropped the ball on getting us necessary support from another team, said he would “just rewrite it over the weekend.” I’m waiting for that Musk nugget to drop any day now tbh

in the early days after he took over he would often casually mention a need to "totally rewrite" the codebase

https://twitter.com/pwnsdx/status/1605442608603463680

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 18, 2023

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Her being older than a child may be a deal killer

Also, she actually earned her money.

Legit came up from poverty to one of the richest women in the world.

No slave emerald money.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

pixaal posted:

Someone already did Downfall

This is amazing. It really sounds like he's saying catturd, too !

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Cthulu Carl posted:

Adam Savage has some good videos from his trips to the Jim Henson Workshop and doing poo poo like finding out how they make the eyes or how the new Doozers work
thank you

ishikabibble posted:

It's less standards have improved and more Seinfeld was basically like, the genesis of a lot of aspects of modern comedy. Everything good about it has been taken and improved upon or parodied into oblivion, so even people who have never even watched Seinfeld, still more or less know Seinfeld.
seinfeld was the nadir of observational stand up. soon after him it evolved into a more "conversational" style.
or more that observational style fell out of fashion for a more conversational story teller type thing but, essentially, you're right. (seinfeld himself doesn't seem to get this and seems pretty clueless in general)

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Incitatus posted:

If you're trying to shame me by bringing up a probe calling someone who platforms fascists a "jezebel" you're going to have to work a little bit harder. Maybe go back to when I called the Russian plant the "c" word. Although even then we have a whole thread dedicated to that word so the walls of the ivory tower are pretty thin.

And yes, you can talk about them you weird obsessive weirdo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I wish all fascists would catch aggressive sexual diseases, whether they be prick-based, twat-based, or arsehole-based.

That Spaces clip above is a pro-click btw, he’s such a baby.