Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Wasabi the J posted:

It's possible there was not a child at all and she simply hallucinated.

That's pretty far fetched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Toddler was phone.... with a HOOK!

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

That's pretty far fetched.

you know you're posting in the Low Base Rate Events thread, right? Most people go their entire lives without spotting an unattended toddler on the side of the road and then vanishing for 3 days. Any explanation for how that might have happened is by definition going to require an Unlikely Confluence of Occurences.

NAME REDACTED has a new favorite as of 12:46 on Jul 17, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

People have psychotic breaks sometimes. It’s not any weirder than a serial killer setting a toddler out as bait to grab someone. It might actually be a little more likely.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I had a girlfriend who had a friend and one day this friend broke. They decided/realized they were "XAVIER FROM ARIZONA" and managed to hitchhike all the way from Indiana to Arizona before any sort of authorities managed to find them.

It's amazing what the human brain can do.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I AM GRANDO posted:

People have psychotic breaks sometimes. It’s not any weirder than a serial killer setting a toddler out as bait to grab someone. It might actually be a little more likely.

I was being silly, I don't actually think it was cannibals, aliens, or ghosts. The setup was just exactly like a pitch for a horror movie or episode of Supernatural.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1680978351698132994?s=20

Kenyan Death Cult death toll is now over 400

quote:

The death toll in an investigation linked to a Kenyan cult that practised starvation to "meet Jesus Christ" has exceeded 400 after 12 more bodies were found on Monday, a senior official said.

"Total death Toll - 403," Coast Regional Commissioner Rhoda Onyancha told AFP in a message, following the latest round of exhumations in the Shakahola forest, where cult leader Paul Nthenge Mackenzie allegedly urged followers to starve to death.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I've been following that through The Cult Education Institute on Facebook and tragedy is too kind a word for this. Lots of the bodies are children and/or show signs of beating and suffocation along with starvation. Will the number of bodies ever equal the number of missing persons? Sadly I don't think so.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Unsurprisingly they follow the teachings of an American.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Barely a month after the tweet. Community notes are wild. Tweet, article

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Follow up question: what was your craziest second date?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm sure you all have gone over a lot of the Gilgo Beach stuff but I'm confused about something. From what I understand, the case was cold for ten years, then all the sudden in 2022 they form this task force and they solve it in 6 weeks. Apparently they had a witness who saw a victim get into a Chevy Avalanche, and then the killer's name came up when they started looking into Avalanches registered in the area.

So.....why was this basic poo poo not done at some point in the past 10 years.? Did this witness just come to light recently? Why were they not able to check those registrations before now?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Basebf555 posted:

I'm sure you all have gone over a lot of the Gilgo Beach stuff but I'm confused about something. From what I understand, the case was cold for ten years, then all the sudden in 2022 they form this task force and they solve it in 6 weeks. Apparently they had a witness who saw a victim get into a Chevy Avalanche, and then the killer's name came up when they started looking into Avalanches registered in the area.

So.....why was this basic poo poo not done at some point in the past 10 years.? Did this witness just come to light recently? Why were they not able to check those registrations before now?

I see three options

1. Just start effectively managing this because prior administration was incompetent

2. Just start effectively managing this because prior administration was intentionally sabotaging

3. Just develop a searchable database of make and models of registered cars

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

From what I understand, they wanted to wait a bit longer to get more evidence and possibly tie him to more murders, but there was evidence he was about to start killing again so they bolted for the finish line.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Grassy Knowles posted:

3. Just develop a searchable database of make and models of registered cars

I guess maybe that could be it if they formed the task force in response to the new development of getting the list of registered Avalanches. So now they have this list to investigate and they need resources so they form the task force.

I dunno though, searching make and models of registered cars seems like basic poo poo that they've been able to do for a long time? Am I off on that?

Pogonodon posted:

From what I understand, they wanted to wait a bit longer to get more evidence and possibly tie him to more murders, but there was evidence he was about to start killing again so they bolted for the finish line.

I'm not questioning what they did once they zeroed in on the killer in 2022, I'm questioning why they weren't able to do that in the decade prior when all it apparently took was looking up a list of registered cars. I get that once you have that list there's still a ton of work to do, they had to go over all of his cell phone data(which takes subpoenas) etc etc but the first step in identifying him seems like it should've happened a long time ago.

Basebf555 has a new favorite as of 17:15 on Jul 18, 2023

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
The answer is usually because the cops didn't actually give a poo poo.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Oooh, I see. My bet would be that it's because most of the victims were known sex workers. Cops don't give a single poo poo about a lot of stuff, and the murder of sex workers is one of the things they EXTRA don't give a poo poo about.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Basebf555 posted:

I guess maybe that could be it if they formed the task force in response to the new development of getting the list of registered Avalanches. So now they have this list to investigate and they need resources so they form the task force.

I dunno though, searching make and models of registered cars seems like basic poo poo that they've been able to do for a long time? Am I off on that?

I'm not questioning what they did once they zeroed in on the killer in 2022, I'm questioning why they weren't able to do that in the decade prior when all it apparently took was looking up a list of registered cars. I get that once you have that list there's still a ton of work to do, they had to go over all of his cell phone data(which takes subpoenas) etc etc but the first step in identifying him seems like it should've happened a long time ago.

I was being incredibly sarcastic with options 1 and 3, I think the cops didnt want to solve it so they didnt. Now theres an fbi man there who likes to solve a thing once in a while.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I guess it'll be another case where there will be a whole Netflix documentary about it a few years from now where the cops being interviewed get all huffy and self-righteous when asked questions about why they didn't do all of this basic investigative work sooner. Feels similar to the Yorkshire Ripper case.

It was just jarring to me to see these guys up there at the press conference with their chest out like they're Sherlock Holmes, and the media just not questioning at all the fact that this task force somehow cracked a 10 year old cold case in 6 weeks.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

There was also the police chief for the area who blocked the FBI joining in on the investigation for years way back when it was fresh. I wouldn't doubt he's a big part of why nothing happened for so long.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

mycatscrimes posted:

The answer is usually because the cops didn't actually give a poo poo.

It was mostly this - cops there are revered as gods. Iirc Suffolk County cops were the highest paid cops in the country for a long time (it may have also been Nassau). Absolutely useless on a good day but don’t piss them off.

Even NYS troopers and town police* were more FAR more charitable if you got pulled over. Suffolk County cops are just the perfect level of overpaid fuckface. 9/11 loving broke brains on the island, so cops are loving sacred to some residents still, and everything they do is entirely justifiable.

this was a common meme for a while when they called them macros.

Pogonodon posted:

There was also the police chief for the area who blocked the FBI joining in on the investigation for years way back when it was fresh. I wouldn't doubt he's a big part of why nothing happened for so long.

Most likely a bit of this as well, not to mention for a VERY long time everyone thought it was a cop who did it (namely, this insane power tripping rear end in a top hat).

Honestly, I still do, as only 3 murders have been linked to the same guy. Especially with the fact that some were sex workers - seeing how people at the time reacted to the murders was abhorrent. I would go as far as to say it radicalized me into supporting legal and safe sex work.

Seeing people (and occasionally the media) treat these people who were brutally slain as lesser than or even deserving of their fate because of their profession and then weep that they need Christ in Christmas or so HELP ME - no, gently caress that.

I love Long Island, despite not living there now, it’s a part of me, it always will be. But Long Island also taught me about people I don’t want to be like.

*depending on the town, your skin color, status of PBA sticker, your last name and where you’re from. one of those never worked in my favor, others absolutely did, and I’m privileged as all hell for having them.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
From what I’ve read, and not all from reliable sources: the taskforce was formed to go over every single bit of evidence from scratch, no pretensions or assumptions, pretend this is all fresh evidence and work it that way - don’t take “alibi checked out” because someone wrote that once, try to run it down.

The chevy avalanche and description of him as a troll came from one of the victims he’s been charged with, after she pulled the angry boyfriend routine - he showed up to see a sex worker, paid her, her boyfriend came home unexpectedly and got angry, he left without his money or sex. The avalanche was first series at the time, which was apparently notable (I didn’t even know what it looked like so I’m taking that from someone else), and it was the car in the driveway when they pulled this scam.

They have messages where he contacted her like “that wasn’t very nice” and “do you owe me one now”, and wanting to see her again and arranging to see her again, but he was too scared of the same scam so arranged for her to come out to his car, the avalanche. At least one of her neighbours also saw an avalanche around that time but I don’t think they saw her get in it.

After killing he often took their phones and would check their voicemail in the days after, presumedly looking to see if people were looking for her although I think just as likely he’d get off on people being worried about a loved one / increasingly panicked voicemails. This is where some of the cell site information came in as well - with these calls often happening within walking distance of his office.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

So I doubt the missing woman had a mental break, because the cops have video of a man in a grey car next to hers around the time she disappeared.

E: although police just talked about the woman buying a ton of snacks at Target just before, which were never recovered. And the toddler was never seen on camera.

Scathach has a new favorite as of 15:18 on Jul 19, 2023

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I just hope she's recovering well, whatever happened. :(

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
This article has the video from the interstate (about 1/3 of the way down the page, the Friday 9:45 p.m. update).

https://www.wsfa.com/2023/07/16/hoo...j5eza07LzshZnow

The road is really busy

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Such a bizarre case. She was googling information about amber alerts a few days before? Hopefully there really wasn’t a toddler walking alongside the highway. There’s just so much we still don’t know.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Apparently Carlee Russell faked her kidnapping https://www.reddit.com/r/TrueCrimeDiscussion/comments/1543syu/carlee_russell_press_conference_megathread/

Like it's already hard enough for missing women of color to be taken seriously... Disgusting.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Apparently Carlee Russell faked her kidnapping https://www.reddit.com/r/TrueCrimeDiscussion/comments/1543syu/carlee_russell_press_conference_megathread/

Like it's already hard enough for missing women of color to be taken seriously... Disgusting.

I think it’s a little early to definitively say we’ve been Audrey Seilered again

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Those google searches are very funny when presented in that order. I’ll hold off on calling it “faked” because you can probably be pretty far down a path of messed-up thought and need help when you start contemplating things like faking your own kidnapping.

What ended up being the deal with that woman who faked her own kidnapping and then “reappeared” wearing like halloween dungeon manacles saying she was held captive?

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

Those google searches are very funny when presented in that order. I’ll hold off on calling it “faked” because you can probably be pretty far down a path of messed-up thought and need help when you start contemplating things like faking your own kidnapping.

Eh, I'm always a bit suspicious of search history presented as evidence. The odds are _very_ good that she did more than five searches over a three day period; the ones we're presented with are effectively cherry-picked (by the cops) to form a convincing post hoc narrative. The cops ignore searches for "teaching crabs to read" or "when did the muppet movie come out" because they probably aren't relevant, but it doesn't mean that the presented narrative is the only one. It especially doesn't mean that we should trust the cops to tell us what a potentially mentally-ill person was doing at the time.

I AM GRANDO posted:

What ended up being the deal with that woman who faked her own kidnapping and then “reappeared” wearing like halloween dungeon manacles saying she was held captive?

Sherri Papini? She got charged with lying to LEOs and mail fraud, got 18 months.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
She could be on video saying she was doing it for attention and I'd trust her to be more truthful than american law enforcement, yes.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
I kinda thought it was fake from the start, because "a baby is left on the side of the road as a trap to kidnap and traffick women who stop" is literally a qanon conspiracy

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Robert Telles, Clark County (Las Vegas), Nevada County Administrator, stands accused of stabbing to death a well-respected local journalist, Jeff German after German wrote multiple pieces pertaining to Telles' mismanagement of his office, creating a hostile work environment, and having an inappropriate affair with an employee.

It took the cops 48hrs to gather enough evidence to arrest and charge Telles with the crime, including surveillance footage of Telles driving his wife's truck to and from the scene of the crime at the time it happened while in disguise as a gardener. This, added to prior statements that German was "out to get him", means he's almost certainly guilty.

That's not all though. Telles, a lawyer by training, has a history of flying off the handle about any number of seemingly small setbacks and criticisms during his career in court. He also got a DV charge dropped with not much more than a slap on the wrist. Many occurrences in his previous professional and personal conduct point towards a very fragile ego paired with a very short temper. By itself, that doesn't prove anything.

What happened as his court case started to move on throws up some huge red flags.

Despite initially retaining experienced counsel, he ran off or fired four good lawyers in the span of a few months. As the lawyers steadily refused to do what he wanted, Telles decided to represent himself even after being warned against it in very strong terms.

From then on, he has given increasingly paranoid statements to local news orgs, alleging some pretty fantastic stuff. The police had, he says, been working with him in secret to expose corrupt real estate deals involving... an organization. Then he was framed for the murder of a journalist critical of his office by... an organization. Anything and everything he can say to make himself look as innocent and victimized as possible, all with a straight face, with total conviction.

Having quite a few of the same kind of batshit people in my family, I mostly agree with the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNcIMsxYRvc

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

madeintaipei posted:

Robert Telles, Clark County (Las Vegas), Nevada County Administrator, stands accused of stabbing to death a well-respected local journalist, Jeff German after German wrote multiple pieces pertaining to Telles' mismanagement of his office, creating a hostile work environment, and having an inappropriate affair with an employee.

It took the cops 48hrs to gather enough evidence to arrest and charge Telles with the crime, including surveillance footage of Telles driving his wife's truck to and from the scene of the crime at the time it happened while in disguise as a gardener. This, added to prior statements that German was "out to get him", means he's almost certainly guilty.

That's not all though. Telles, a lawyer by training, has a history of flying off the handle about any number of seemingly small setbacks and criticisms during his career in court. He also got a DV charge dropped with not much more than a slap on the wrist. Many occurrences in his previous professional and personal conduct point towards a very fragile ego paired with a very short temper. By itself, that doesn't prove anything.

What happened as his court case started to move on throws up some huge red flags.

Despite initially retaining experienced counsel, he ran off or fired four good lawyers in the span of a few months. As the lawyers steadily refused to do what he wanted, Telles decided to represent himself even after being warned against it in very strong terms.

From then on, he has given increasingly paranoid statements to local news orgs, alleging some pretty fantastic stuff. The police had, he says, been working with him in secret to expose corrupt real estate deals involving... an organization. Then he was framed for the murder of a journalist critical of his office by... an organization. Anything and everything he can say to make himself look as innocent and victimized as possible, all with a straight face, with total conviction.

Having quite a few of the same kind of batshit people in my family, I mostly agree with the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNcIMsxYRvc

Quoting to watch when I’m free at work, this seems wild

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

This is a good listen. Video is largely inconsequential, but it's worth a listen (at least so far through the 3/4 mark.) This guy is awful and almost comical if he weren't such a terrible person.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Foglet posted:

I guess that from the investigation PoV it was less like Google indexing server side and more like him not bothering with incognito mode or clearing search history client side.
Lol, from the replies I got, I realize how poorly I worded my question. I promise, I'm not worried about google saving my searches.

To clarify: I meant, would those Google search terms actually yield results? Like, it's weird to me to think he could just Google.... The most disgusting things ever, and google just serves it up. Upon further thought though, I'd rather not know.

Slugworth has a new favorite as of 02:19 on Jul 24, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Slugworth posted:

Lol, from the replies I got, I realize how poorly I worded my question. I promise, I'm not worried about google saving my searches.

To clarify: I meant, would those Google search terms actually yield results? Like, it's weird to me to think he could just Google.... The most disgusting things ever, and google just serves it up. Upon further thought though, I'd rather not know.

The answer is yes. People think they’re brighter than they are and love to talk about it

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

"The Judge Who Sued His Dry Cleaners for $54 Million"

A judge named Roy Pearson tried to sue a local business for losing his pants back in 2005. At first he tried suing for $67 million, but later dropped it to $55 million. How thoughtful of him!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hBrS_NPKR4

Maybe not unnerving in the heebie-jeebies sense, but it's wacky that a judge who's living on the poverty line can just up and sue his neighbourhood dry cleaners...and have the ordeal last years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Taking this thread out of summer vacation to post something I can't believe I've never heard of: The SS Noronic. A Great Lakes cruise ship that was docked in Toronto and burned down in 1949 when a linen closet caught fire. Within 10 minutes the ship was engulfed in flames.

:nms:

Wikipedia posted:

Only fifteen crew members had been on the ship when the fire broke out, and they failed to make a sweep of the upper four decks to wake passengers; those who did wake up were awakened by screaming and running in the corridors. Most of the ship's stairwells were on fire, and few passengers were able to reach E-deck to escape down the gangplanks. Some passengers climbed down ropes to the pier. The scene was later described as one of great panic, with people jumping from the upper decks engulfed in flames and some falling to their deaths onto the pier below. Others were trampled to death in the mad rush in the corridors. Still others suffocated or were burned alive, unable to exit their cabins. The screams of the dying were said to be audible even over the sounds of whistles and sirens.

The fire was extinguished by 5:00 a.m., and the wreckage was allowed to cool for two hours before the recovery of bodies began. Searchers found a gruesome scene inside the burned-out hull. Firefighters reported finding charred, embracing skeletons in the corridors. Some deceased passengers were found still in their beds. Many skeletons were almost completely incinerated, resulting in forensic dentistry being reportedly used to identify remains for the first time. Glass had melted from every window, and even steel fittings had warped and twisted from the heat. Every stairwell had been completely destroyed, save for one near the bow.

The death toll from the disaster was never precisely determined. Estimates range anywhere from 118  to 139 deaths. Most died from either suffocation or burns. Some died from being trampled or from leaping off the upper decks onto the pier. Only one person drowned. To the anger of many, all 118 of those initially killed were passengers. (One crewmember, Louisa Dustin, later died of her injuries; she was the only Canadian victim, and the 119th fatality.)