Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

biceps crimes posted:

What type of roles are you applying for with this resume? Not clear to me if you’re trying for IC or another management position

I'm applying for senior software engineer and software engineering manager roles. Guess it's time to maintain two different versions :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I would rather retire than manage people.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

spiritual bypass posted:

I'm applying for senior software engineer and software engineering manager roles. Guess it's time to maintain two different versions :thunk:

Yeah, I did this in a similar position. Hit rate improved noticably with the 2 more focused versions.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Managing people was great for me. I hired good people and gave them opportunities to grow. My whole former team contacted me in distress after I was laid off. Definitely not for everybody, though.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Pollyanna posted:

I manage 3 people. It's honestly very easy and for the pay bump I'm happy to do it.

If/when it gets to 5 I might feel different.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Mega Comrade posted:

I manage 3 people. It's honestly very easy and for the pay bump I'm happy to do it.

It's afforded me a lot more time/energy to enjoy programming as a neat bonus

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

my current manager vaguely talks about career growth and growth opportunities and “coaching” with me and I suffer through thirty minutes of it once every two weeks. not sure what else he does but I guess I’m feeling… “empowered”?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Mega Comrade posted:

My first management job threw me in the deep end with a team of 10. This was the largest team at the company, but funnily enough my title was only Lead even though I was reporting directly to the CEO for a while and then directly to the CTO. I was the only lead at the company, everyone else in a leadership position was a manager or even senior manager, even if some of them didn't actually have any reports.

That company didn't do so well for some reason, but even this clusterfuck didn't knock me off the management path.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

spiritual bypass posted:

Yeah definitely, I thought you were going for management roles from the resume.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

spiritual bypass posted:

I’d reduce the amount of space given to manager/leader stuff and emphasize your technical skills and achievements for the ic roles. The manager skills are nice but the resume feels a bit split in its focus. For an IC role, I want it to fit a narrative you bring into an interview about how you’re really itching to get back into IC work. The current resume feels a little generic/untailored and like an any port in a storm resume for a software IC role if I’m feeling really critical. Which may be true, but you don’t need to communicate that. Indulge in the kayfabe and tailor your presentation, including the resume, to the role imo. The substance is there in your experience, just needs presentation and focus on the resume

I don’t really have opinions for applying to manager roles since I rarely interview those and am usually just in one round for those

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 18, 2023

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

spiritual bypass posted:

Managing people was great for me. I hired good people and gave them opportunities to grow. My whole former team contacted me in distress after I was laid off. Definitely not for everybody, though.

Mega Comrade posted:

Ensign Expendable posted:

My first management job threw me in the deep end with a team of 10. This was the largest team at the company, but funnily enough my title was only Lead even though I was reporting directly to the CEO for a while and then directly to the CTO. I was the only lead at the company, everyone else in a leadership position was a manager or even senior manager, even if some of them didn't actually have any reports.

That company didn't do so well for some reason, but even this clusterfuck didn't knock me off the management path.

Maybe my definition of “manager” is different from everyone else’s. To me, a manager is the midpoint between an individual employee’s well-being and direction, an organization’s priorities and stressors, and corporate’s constraints and areas of efficiency. To be a manager is to play a game of balance between the other three participants, whereby you make compromises, push on the important parts and delay the rest, and clearly communicate what actions will have what costs while being prepared to make suboptimal (and sometimes actively harmful) decisions for everyone involved. Management is a game of people, or diplomacy, of hard choices, of licking boot and doing not what is right but what keeps the boat afloat for another ten seconds.

Computers are assholes by accident. People are assholes on purpose. So maybe I just…don’t do people. Or the kinds of people I’ve met, I guess?

I can’t wait to leave this job - this poo poo is poisoning me.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Same thing happened to me. It was my second year as a developer - the project we were working on was scrapped and everyone above me left or got fired, my new boss was the CEO of the company, and I had fourteen offshore developers working under me on a new project.

Let's just say it was a learning experience.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

biceps crimes posted:

The current resume feels a little generic/untailored and like an any port in a storm resume for a software IC role

It's that obvious?

Pollyanna posted:

Management is a game of people, or diplomacy, of hard choices, of licking boot and doing not what is right but what keeps the boat afloat for another ten seconds.

Come to think of it, I was targeted for layoff after refusing to be an rear end in a top hat to my staff. More food for thought...

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Pollyanna posted:

I would rather retire

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Important distinction that there are personnel managers who are, say, head of the development team, in charge of making
sure the company has the people they need, and those people are generally happy and productive.

Project management is there to make sure the project itself meets requirements.

There's a big tradition in tech for personnel and project management to be the same overworked person, which is pretty bad because it is a very different set of skills.

I prefer project management, but personnel management with a good team is super easy and fulfilling.

People who just say they want to work in "management" without specifying what type are often people who just want money, respect, and an office with a door.

biceps crimes posted:

my current manager vaguely talks about career growth and growth opportunities and “coaching” with me and I suffer through thirty minutes of it once every two weeks. not sure what else he does but I guess I’m feeling… “empowered”?
Your manager probably knows these meetings are useless and would appreciate any helpful direction you can give. Having useless meetings like this is not great, but better than never talking to your manager and getting forgotten.

In general, I'm curious if anyone has really had a good personnel manager, especially one who's helped with development or education. Telling people to go take a class doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

StumblyWumbly posted:

Important distinction that there are personnel managers who are, say, head of the development team, in charge of making
sure the company has the people they need, and those people are generally happy and productive.

Project management is there to make sure the project itself meets requirements.

There's a big tradition in tech for personnel and project management to be the same overworked person, which is pretty bad because it is a very different set of skills.

I prefer project management, but personnel management with a good team is super easy and fulfilling.

People who just say they want to work in "management" without specifying what type are often people who just want money, respect, and an office with a door.

Your manager probably knows these meetings are useless and would appreciate any helpful direction you can give. Having useless meetings like this is not great, but better than never talking to your manager and getting forgotten.

In general, I'm curious if anyone has really had a good personnel manager, especially one who's helped with development or education. Telling people to go take a class doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

I've had a good manager once, but needed to leave the job because it was severely underpaying and [for their business, correctly] valued a PhD over building functioning product.

I've known a few others, but never reported to them. Having ever had a good manager and seeing how rare they are was one of the key insights to pushing me toward management. It's way easier to outperform your peers.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

StumblyWumbly posted:

I’ve had a couple good ones. They’ve helped me build relationships across the organization, helped me play politics, given me their honest perspective about how business, myself, the team, and our projects are going. How to contextualize and prioritize my work to best move the business goals along. Things that can often be clouded to ICs, either intentionally or not.

My good managers have also frequently checked in on career ladder growth and opportunities and worked with me to identify and close gaps and identifying the right time to push for promotions.

These managers have been real personnel managers, not technical leaders. I agree that is often confused in this industry, and at many companies people managers are also technical leaders and project managers - and that’s too many roles for one individual. In my current company and most of my experience project manager has either been a full time IC role or is filled in by senior+ engineers on a project-by-project basis.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
The reason I couldn't ever be a manager was something I ran into when I was a team lead (sort of) at a previous gig. I had two guys working for me.

The first guy, John (fake name obvs) was the sort of dude to show up 10 minutes early, friendly, easy to work with, and hardworking. He also absolutely did not get it. I've only like, flipped out and yelled at someone at work a few times in my career, and one of those times was at 6am when John called the head architect for our product (who was oncall that day) to let him know that we were having problems in Region X, when Region Y directly next to X and containing many major dependencies for X was currently on fire. I apologized later, to be clear: it was a super lovely move on my part. But yeah, this was the sort of dude who you'd tell what to do, and then you'd have to walk him through it each and every time. I'd fight to the death to let that guy keep his job though because despite all that, he was a fantastic coworker, and if you kept him on lower level stuff he was great and could do a good chunk of the overall work; he just couldn't work alone.

The second guy, Jake? New to the industry, no real role experience, and he absolutely loving nailed it. You could tell him what you wanted done and thirty minutes later he'd be back with the output. He just got it.

Being a manager means that it would be my job to make John more productive and to be rewarded for Jake being a good employee, but I had no input on the second and no idea how to improve the first.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Falcon2001 posted:

But yeah, this was the sort of dude who you'd tell what to do, and then you'd have to walk him through it each and every time. I'd fight to the death to let that guy keep his job though because despite all that, he was a fantastic coworker, and if you kept him on lower level stuff he was great and could do a good chunk of the overall work; he just couldn't work alone.

I mean, this also depends heavily on the work to be done itself, plus the organization you work for and the development support you get. You can be a perfectly good engineer and still have trouble delivering in a particular domain if you happen to work in a black hole of sanity and brain cells. Sometimes something sucks to work on and doesn’t make sense, and sometimes you just don’t gel with the subject. It’s a stone soup like everything else.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

I mean, this also depends heavily on the work to be done itself, plus the organization you work for and the development support you get. You can be a perfectly good engineer and still have trouble delivering in a particular domain if you happen to work in a black hole of sanity and brain cells. Sometimes something sucks to work on and doesn’t make sense, and sometimes you just don’t gel with the subject. It’s a stone soup like everything else.

Yeah, I want to be clear that I'm trying to not make a...human value judgment there. That dude was fantastic. I loved having him around. He is no less of a valuable human being than Jake was; but in terms of the altar of capitalism, there was a value discrepancy, and managers are expected to help fix those things. I know because when I left the team a guy I know ended up being a manager there and got three other dudes, all less effective than John, to manage, and he hated it.

Edit: the other part of it is that being a manager means that your success is based on other people's work, and as someone with pretty intense imposter syndrome and work anxiety already sometimes, boy that sounds like just ulcers waiting to happen.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Falcon2001 posted:

Being a manager means that it would be my job to make John more productive and to be rewarded for Jake being a good employee, but I had no input on the second and no idea how to improve the first.

Well, hiring and retaining top talent (e.g. Jake) is something you'd have input in generally. If you gave Jake all the crappy work or let him get bored or allowed the work environment to be crappy for him in some way then he'd leave. For John, while some people will always have trouble seeing the big picture, there are some coaching strategies that can work to make them less bad at it. I've drawn decision trees on the whiteboard before when talking through this sort of problem and pointed out that they were heading down one branch when they didn't meet the criteria for making that decision (e.g. is there a higher priority interrupt that this person is already dealing with?). But that's part of the creative art of management.

Falcon2001 posted:

Edit: the other part of it is that being a manager means that your success is based on other people's work, and as someone with pretty intense imposter syndrome and work anxiety already sometimes, boy that sounds like just ulcers waiting to happen.

Yeah, that part is harder to get used to.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
High level IC is dependent on other people's work, too. There's no escape from having to deal with other people of varying capacity to solve problems

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you can try to become richard hipp and work away in a corner on software that gets installed hundreds of billions of times and therefore that everyone understands that you wont listen to them

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

leper khan posted:

High level IC is dependent on other people's work, too. There's no escape from having to deal with other people of varying capacity to solve problems
Sure, but managers are responsible for making sure other people do good work, and IC literally stands for Individual Contributor

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I’ve had one great manager. She was very technical, and by the time she moved into management the company had a solid management training course and a separate IC v Manager career tracks. Both of those are required for a company that wants good management.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I was in a team with a good (far from perfect, but functional) "tripod" of a skillful and involved manager, PM, and technical lead exactly once. Other times either one of the "legs" was either absent and their duties were done by one of the other two with various degrees of competence or present but just straight up refusing to do their job or let anyone else pick up their slack.

It probably influenced me to develop even the tiniest spark of technical leadership in my devs.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

StumblyWumbly posted:

I’ve done so, but they continue. I am a principal engineer and am at the top of the stack, I can’t be promoted without moving into management.

I want my manager to remove obstacles and get things out of my way, alert me when there’s bs leadership is cooking up, and plug me into the right conversations. I don’t want my manager to paternalistically life coach me. The review cycles will continue until morale improves though

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

biceps crimes posted:

I want my manager to remove obstacles and get things out of my way, alert me when there’s bs leadership is cooking up, and plug me into the right conversations. I don’t want my manager to paternalistically life coach me. The review cycles will continue until morale improves though

Sounds like someone needs another manager above them in the org chart.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

wash bucket posted:

Sounds like someone needs another manager above them in the org chart.

I keep getting layered by new managers five years into their career who want to coach me through growth and it’s driving me nuts. It’s happened twice in the past 18 months

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

biceps crimes posted:

I keep getting layered by new managers five years into their career who want to coach me through growth and it’s driving me nuts. It’s happened twice in the past 18 months

I hear you and that is completely valid. How about we try a little exercise? Ever hear of a Myers–Briggs exam?

Jokes aside, I've worked places where the only path for advancement is through management and that just gets you a bunch of managers who don't actually want to be managers. Nobody's happy.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 18, 2023

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

biceps crimes posted:

Just proactively tell them what you want them to do and what their goals are or things you want diverted away from you. If you're principal and they're line manager, you have a lot more organizational weight than they do and their job is likely to proactively help you succeed at whatever your initiative is.

Kind of weird for an org-level IC to get placed under a first tier manager to begin with though.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

leper khan posted:

Kind of weird for an org-level IC to get placed under a first tier manager to begin with though.

i used to be outside and reported to a director and still kind of do. Some turnover happened and some even higher ups wanted to enforce a stricter hierarchy, etc. its a long story and I have a lot of bosses, but also none of them really have authority over me. There’s a lot of theater and these 1:1s dont really matter, but I do love to complain

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 18, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

spiritual bypass posted:

yeah I would not use this resume if you were looking for an IC position. You look like an extreme flight risk for a better higher paying management position as soon as you find one.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

biceps crimes posted:

My new director read an article and then "streamlined" my interview process that was specifically crafted to reduce the bias of any particular interviewer into three non-overlapping numerical ratings of the candidate with no other commentary being mandatory.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Oh wow, I just discovered what my last interviewer was getting at re. architecture vs prototyper roles. He pitched it as mostly meetings and working on cross-functional stuff, vs. working in a small team and "actually building prototypes". And I was specifically angling for an IC EE role, and designing prototypes for future tech did sound really great.

When I got home, I looked up the actual roles, because I don't know what they mean by "prototyper".

That guy was pushing me towards a non-engineering, hourly technician role. I would have phased my answers a lot differently if he had used the industry-standard terms for those roles: engineer vs. technician.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

ryanrs posted:

Oh wow, I just discovered what my last interviewer was getting at re. architecture vs prototyper roles. He pitched it as mostly meetings and working on cross-functional stuff, vs. working in a small team and "actually building prototypes". And I was specifically angling for an IC EE role, and designing prototypes for future tech did sound really great.

When I got home, I looked up the actual roles, because I don't know what they mean by "prototyper".

I'm a 15 year-ish EE that's been across different companies and industries. I would've interpreted that question like you did. I've never heard of prototyper used in place of technician before, that's wild. And silly.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

StumblyWumbly posted:

Sure, but managers are responsible for making sure other people do good work, and IC literally stands for Individual Contributor

I hate that this has become a thing, because I have long since internalized that it means "In Command", which is like the opposite.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

biceps crimes posted:

My manager is cool and gets it, but we still had one of these this year. I ended up just putting weaknesses and goals for the teams in my area and department that I can influence. That way they’re easy to agree to, are proactively impacting the teams in a way I can use for raises, and I can call back to them if I need political support later.

“We can agree I could be better at CSS, but surely a better focus for me would be reducing the bus factor on the infrastructure team?”

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

StumblyWumbly posted:

The higher up you get the more your contributions are focused around enabling your teams to do high quality work. It’s very similar to management in a lot of ways except without the hiring/firing/development/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's a funny thing, but the better you get at making products, the worse of an idea it is to have you spend your time directly making products.