Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Anno posted:

Does anyone here frequent non-video game city planning/general city stuff content? Maybe it’s a weird question but, despite living in the outskirts of a decently sized city for almost half my life now I’ve never really thought about it came to be/where it’s going etc. a whole lot, and getting hyped for CS2 has me interested in the concept more broadly.

YouTubers, blogs, podcasts, whatever.

this one might be a little too locally-specific, but my hometown put this podcast out: https://transforming.edmonton.ca/city-of-edmontons-making-space-podcast-brings-zoning-back-to-earth-for-people/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

Count Roland posted:

For a bit of both check out City Planner Plays, the YouTube channel ...

I can second this recommendation, but with the caveat that CPP's design decisions are better at reflecting the reality of American urban planning than at demonstrating good urban planning.

EDIT: I re-read this and think I wound up being too harsh on CPP. He actually does a good job of making very realistic and good-looking urban environments, and I specifically appreciate his love of trees. It's just that sometimes he will bring in "features" based on actual realistic political pressures on urban planners in America, particularly everything to do with massive roads/highways and parking areas.

stumblebum fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 18, 2023

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Anno posted:

Does anyone here frequent non-video game city planning/general city stuff content? Maybe it’s a weird question but, despite living in the outskirts of a decently sized city for almost half my life now I’ve never really thought about it came to be/where it’s going etc. a whole lot, and getting hyped for CS2 has me interested in the concept more broadly.

YouTubers, blogs, podcasts, whatever.

https://m.youtube.com/@PracticalEngineeringChannel

Grady has a bunch of good videos on specific utility systems for the built environment, things like water/sewer or electric distribution.

That electricity infographic is basically “the practical engineering channel video game” and I’m so loving down for it.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

stumblebum posted:

I can second this recommendation, but with the caveat that CPP's design decisions are better at reflecting the reality of American urban planning than at demonstrating good urban planning.

EDIT: I re-read this and think I wound up being too harsh on CPP. He actually does a good job of making very realistic and good-looking urban environments, and I specifically appreciate his love of trees. It's just that sometimes he will bring in "features" based on actual realistic political pressures on urban planners in America, particularly everything to do with massive roads/highways and parking areas.

At least he tries to make suburbs that don't suck

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah some of the stuff CPP does in his cities drives me insane, but he is creating realistic American cities based on his experience as a planner so it's not because he's personally insane, he's doing it correctly. And even then he's still providing much less parking and far more public transit than would really be there.

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
"humanity will not be free until the last parking lot is torn up with the machinery of the last car"
-denis diderot, if he were alive today

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Thanks folks. I’ve watched a good amount of CPP and generally like his vibes, but I’ll check out the rest of the suggestions.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I personally wouldn't recommend any of the Jane Jacobs stuff unless you're definitely interested in planning. Walkable City is a fast read that'll touch on a lot and is a good general intro especially if you're coming at this from the perspective of a city builder player.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
The High Cost of Free Parking by Shoup is a tremendously important urban planning book.

I think it’s enormously important to understand that urban planning isn’t really undertaken as a design discipline but instead as large and long running political projects. The political process simply isn’t a real dimension of city building games, so the interpretation of actual urban planning process through the lens of gameplay is really tenuous.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Hermsgervørden posted:

The High Cost of Free Parking by Shoup is a tremendously important urban planning book.

I think it’s enormously important to understand that urban planning isn’t really undertaken as a design discipline but instead as large and long running political projects. The political process simply isn’t a real dimension of city building games, so the interpretation of actual urban planning process through the lens of gameplay is really tenuous.

The only solution is to run a table-top rpg style game where posters ITT are council members with their own political agendas and one player takes council votes and plays it out in the game until the next round.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

How does just the base vanilla game hold up? I was getting the itch, but 100+ dollars in DLC to ‘catch up’ feels bleh.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Saxophone posted:

How does just the base vanilla game hold up? I was getting the itch, but 100+ dollars in DLC to ‘catch up’ feels bleh.
Hold out for CS2. Base game is severely lacking, to the point where DLC had to be added to put in a day/night cycle and a seasonal cycle could never be implemented.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Yeah this thread I think is fully on the hype train (tram? elevated rail?) for the sequel.

Even if it launches with only half the features promised it will stand up very well to CS1.

It looks like an honest to god city sim instead of a traffic sim with city decoration.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I’m so hyped for it that it may well be the final push I needed to get a new drat computer lmao

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I’m pretty hype too, but October is so faaaaarrrr

But fair point. Thanks thread!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Saxophone posted:

I’m pretty hype too, but October is so faaaaarrrr

But fair point. Thanks thread!
I mean, the Summer Sale just ended so there goes your chance to get all the DLC for cheap, the Fall Sale will be right on top of CS2's launch, there's no possible way to justify $100+ of DLC at this point, and the base game on its own really can't justify $30 with three months to go. I dunno what to tell you.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah at this point I wouldn't bother unless you're committed to modding it. They did add a bunch of stuff in patches, the aforementioned day/night cycle for example, but it's still pretty bare. CS2 is going to come with a lot more stuff in the base game than 1 did.

If you're itching SimCity 4 is usually $5.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah SC4 is still well worth your time.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Saxophone posted:

I was going to be the dissenting voice to say it's still fun and you should do it, but sheesh it's $30 for the base game alone, I think it's worth waiting the 3 months and get the better game for only a bit more.

C:S vanilla was a fun albeit cartoony city builder, a lot of the DLC improved on things, and mods made it even better -- but even with the bare minimum good DLCs it would still end up being at least $60.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

I believe the base game is on xbox game pass or ea's thing if you wanna play it for a month.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It is on gamepass

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Tarnop posted:

It is on gamepass

More importantly, it is on gamepass on both PC and XBOX.

If you never had a game pass before, you can literally get one month of it for 1 dollar/euro.
Just remember to cancel your order if you don't want to continue subbing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They say they fixed death waves.

This is also encouraging about noise pollution. It being just a happiness drop among a bunch of factors rather than your people being Literally Dead because there was a train nearby would be a huge improvement.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

It's funny how weird and limited and broken CS1 was, especially at release.

And even funnier when you remember that Sim City was so incredibly bad that CS literally saved the city building genre by being so clearly superior.

Is there ever going to be another Sim City game?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

This does really seem much crunchier in the simulation aspect.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Count Roland posted:

Is there ever going to be another Sim City game?

No. EA might use the name again some day but Maxis is long dead. Just a shambling corpse that makes The Sims now.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

3 of the 4 new telecom buildings. Seems it's a simple range/capacity thing. Kinda funny one of the upgrades is wireless antenna even though it all works as if wireless.

Hey look you can choose to never unlock parking or highways!

I appreciate the welfare office is the first unlock.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Intersections being unlocked a little later seems weird, I'm hoping it's just additional intersection controls and not just letting your city's traffic YOLO itself without any traffic controls until you unlock it

I suppose that would be a good simulation of American stroad hellholes though

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Me with a single road weaving a 250 km track through my city since I never unlocked intersections.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if the radio masts work better on top of hills, I would hope so as that's where they should be placed.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

"Regular mail is seven times more important to me than internet access", said nobody in the last 20 years.

Count Roland posted:

It's funny how weird and limited and broken CS1 was, especially at release.

And even funnier when you remember that Sim City was so incredibly bad that CS literally saved the city building genre by being so clearly superior.
Playing the base game really does remind you that they never planned to be a SimCity competitor, let alone to dethrone it. They were clearly aiming for a niche audience who would appreciate a more detailed traffic sim and then oops, SimCity shits the bed so hard that all the basic citybuilding stuff CS put in because it was just common sense have suddenly made it the far and away superior product.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Be October already

Developer insight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1LXHjN8-0o

Pretty nice they are getting rid of the paint brush zone and have you manually set the boundries.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 20, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It would be nice if there was an automatic snapping to roads as well, so you can select block by block.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

OwlFancier posted:

It would be nice if there was an automatic snapping to roads as well, so you can select block by block.

It does.

Snap to all, (I forgot what this one represents), snap to 90º and snap to road.
(Also you can see the snapping in action in the dev diary and probably the feature highlight video too)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I haven't played in ages so I'm loading it back up to tide me over. I sort of wish it was possible to make a "smaller town" sim where there wasn't a baked in drive for constant growth. I tried to find ways to keep things stable at small sizes but the game was always pushing to build and I was bad at managing that growth. As soon as I had a long street that needed to be widened obliging me to obliterate a bunch of buildings it killed my morale.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

I haven't played in ages so I'm loading it back up to tide me over. I sort of wish it was possible to make a "smaller town" sim where there wasn't a baked in drive for constant growth. I tried to find ways to keep things stable at small sizes but the game was always pushing to build and I was bad at managing that growth. As soon as I had a long street that needed to be widened obliging me to obliterate a bunch of buildings it killed my morale.

SimCity 4 small towns are pretty viable. I tend to build a region with one or two megacities then the rest of it is filled in with agriculture and small towns.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

GF did a let's play which might help inspire you: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3410697

Plenty of outlying small towns and farmland and whatnot

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Do I need a mod to support whatnot or is that now in the base game? :ohdear:

EDIT: Oh it's a SC4 playthrough. I understand now.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Do I need a mod to support whatnot or is that now in the base game? :ohdear:

EDIT: Oh it's a SC4 playthrough. I understand now.

You would want to install NAM. CAM also lets you build better agricultural areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

So why not just make a small town? You don't have to fill the RCI demand if you like where you're at.

You could also do a dense city center with low density suburbs, I like that myself.