Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Azubah posted:

Everything I've seen about Flash makes me question why they wanted to release it so badly. The CGI looks loving awful and some things just sound mean spirited, like Flash stealing people's food or just drilling into some rando's chest to save Other Barry.

And whatever the gently caress the baby microwave scene was.

You find out like 90 minutes later that you can't move someone more than a few inches with superseded for reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Soonmot posted:

You find out like 90 minutes later that you can't move someone more than a few inches with superseded for reasons

What? You can't move people with super speed? That kinda flies in the face of stuff we've already seen even before that movie.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Shageletic posted:

You're the first poster I've come across who liked Black Widow.

I thought it had a good plot, a great supporting cast, and a killer third act. Taskmaster was kinda blah but the Red Room as villain worked for me.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's why og Barry was throwing up when nu Barry moved him. Flash can move something with a person on it/ in it, but can't move them more than a little bit directly because speed force. Hence, baby in microwave.

It's dumb af

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So the opposite of one of the few consistent things about the Speed Force over the years.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Cartridgeblowers posted:

I thought it had a good plot, a great supporting cast, and a killer third act. Taskmaster was kinda blah but the Red Room as villain worked for me.

The problem with Black Widow was that the last act was more late period Roger Moore Bond when most people were expecting something a little more Craig era, or Bourne for that matter.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Doesn't he move s bunch of people in Justice League? Both versions.

Also Black Widow was fine. Florence Pugh carries it a lot since she is just fantastic as Yelena. Harbour is great too.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I enjoyed Black Widow too. It's a fun movie.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

howe_sam posted:

The problem with Black Widow was that the last act was more late period Roger Moore Bond when most people were expecting something a little more Craig era, or Bourne for that matter.

Roger Moore was the best Bond though, with his early films being pitched at just the correct level of ridiculousness and camp.

E: I will say that I too really liked Black Widow, and I like to rewatch any of the scenes with Harbour or Pugh as those are tons of fun. I liked Shang-Chi about the same amount, but bus fight aside I can't think of any scene I've wanted to revisit even in clips. The whole film was... "fine", but so inconsequential. Now I gotta wait years to find out what a SF car valet is going to do with superpowers.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 18, 2023

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When Rachel Weisz's pig-puppeting mad scientist is the most boring character in a superhero's family of legacy heroes, you've done a good job

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Black Widow is probably the only MCU movie that I don't have a real hankering to rewatch, but it's not a bad movie or anything, just not great

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Black Widow was entertaining enough but the horrible wig work always stands out to me.

Also the end where Ross and his goons are rolling up and it just cuts away instead of giving a fun escape/fight scene sucks.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Yelena destroying Dreykov's plane is one of the worst vfx shots in Marvel history.

It's a high camp Bond film, and if that's your thing, great! I agree the characters were a bunch of fun. I was just hoping for something a little more in the vein of Salt or Atomic Blonde.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Black Widow should've come out after Civil War lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Soonmot posted:

Yeah it's why og Barry was throwing up when nu Barry moved him. Flash can move something with a person on it/ in it, but can't move them more than a little bit directly because speed force. Hence, baby in microwave.

It's dumb af

Haha what. Why? That is so immensely stupid and makes zero sense with how he was portrayed before. I guess they were trying to nerf him but that is such a dumb way to do it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Azubah posted:

i think black widow was better than shang chi, eternals, and dare i say even love and thunder, but yeah this is definitely what killed it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't even really dislike Black Widow outside of them kind of wasting Taskmaster, but Shang-Chi is good. The bus scene is an all-timer.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the bus scene is great

but i have no interest in watching the rest of the movie surrounding it

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Shang-Chi marked the start of Phase Wong and should be respected for it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I genuinely do not understand any opinion that doesn't have The Eternals as the worst of Phase 4 and it's not even close. Nothing about that goddamn movie worked, like, at all.

PriorMarcus posted:

I feel like the Disney + shows would of been better served actually emulating Phase One a bit more strongly and building to their own cross over event.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also when's the last time you watched phase 1? Those are standalone movies with stingers.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Eternals is the worst, yes

After that is Black Widow and then Shang-Chi

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Eternals wasn't good but the speedster stuff ruled.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Azubah posted:

It did

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

This is true.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Disney+ Marvel and Netflix Marvel have both followed the same trajectory of starting off with a lot of hype and seeing diminishing returns from then on. There's a reason why they keep going back to Daredevil.

I think it's a combination of quantity and quality. Or maybe they're related and the quality would be easier to maintain if they didn't feel the need to make content so fast? idk.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Aphrodite posted:

Also the end where Ross and his goons are rolling up and it just cuts away instead of giving a fun escape/fight scene sucks.

But Ross was coming after Widow, and she was surrendering in the moment to give her family + Taskmaster a chance to escape, right? But maybe I'm confused because-

Azubah posted:

I don't remember, where is everyone at the end of CW? Falcon, Ant-man, Hawkeye and Scarlet Witch are all locked up on the Raft after the airport fight. Presumably BW is tossed in there too, because she let Steve and Bucky get away? Then Steve comes back, frees everybody, but Ant-man and Hawkeye make parole/plea deals, so they get ankle monitors and can be with their families. Cap, Falcon and Nat go on the lam while Wanda and Vision run off separately.

Then between that point and Infinity War, Nat has her movie/adventure, gets re-captured by Ross, bleaches her hair, escapes and teams up with Cap again(?).

Then Infinity War > Blip > 5 Years > Nat's basically in charge of coordinating the remaining forces > Endgame.

So is Nat arrested and jailed twice? Once immediately following Civil War, then again at the end of BW?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

But Ross was coming after Widow, and she was surrendering in the moment to give her family + Taskmaster a chance to escape, right? But maybe I'm confused because-

No, because the next scene is her free and getting the Quinjet for the lead-in to Infinity War.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Nat is never arrested. She gets out of town before the authorities show up in CW, and I think we are to assume she gives Ross the slip at the end of BW.

This is more personal head canon territory, but I've always figured Steve was piloting the quinnjet at the end of Black Widow and that scene leads into the Raft prison break.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I really don't think any of the D+ stuff has been out-and-out bad except for Secret Invasion, which is absolutely sucking out loud.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Okay yes technically it did, meant more that it should've come out immediately after Civil War instead of waaaaay after the title character's death.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CapnAndy posted:

I really don't think any of the D+ stuff has been out-and-out bad except for Secret Invasion, which is absolutely sucking out loud.
I agree, it’s been a major disappointment

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Secret Invasion isn't very good but eh, I don't think it's significantly worse than FatWS

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

Eternals wasn't good but the speedster stuff ruled.

Talking about D+ shows and Eternals, I really would have preferred if Eternals started out as a series. Each episode is from a different point in human history, starting with the Eternals' first interactions with humans, and ending with the final member abandoning humanity and living in hiding. Then the movie is them all coming back together to face this threat.

In other words, all those flashback scenes in the movie would instead be episodes of a show to better develop the characters and flesh them out. Maybe help audiences become more interested in who the characters are and what they do. Then when the movie comes around, you've already established things for viewers, instead of essentially shoehorning two stories (plus extra poo poo) into one movie. Then it's more about "Getting the band back together," except people know and might care who the band actually is? I dunno.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

howe_sam posted:

Nat is never arrested. She gets out of town before the authorities show up in CW, and I think we are to assume she gives Ross the slip at the end of BW.

This is more personal head canon territory, but I've always figured Steve was piloting the quinnjet at the end of Black Widow and that scene leads into the Raft prison break.

Yeah. Nat is on the run from Ross after the airport fight at the start of Black Widow. She goes on her adventure while Cap is doing his thing with Iron Man/Bucky and busting Sam out of prison. Then they presumably hook up at the end of Black Widow when the quinnjet comes for her. Either Sam is on board or Nat helps with the jailbreak.

It should have been released post Civil War but if you watch it right after it actually fits very neatly. The MCU is weirdly good at that. Making things that absolutely weren’t planned that way look like they fit in retrospect. Captain Marvel also fits very neatly into Phase 1 and makes the whole thing feel like a deliberate Fury/Tesseract buildup to Avengers.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'll tell you this, I'd rather watch Falcon in the Winter Soldier again than Iron Fist

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
I sometimes feel like the only person on Earth who liked Eternals. (I know I'm not; I saw it with my Dad and he liked it too, so there are at least two people on Earth who liked Eternals. :colbert: ) Until Guardians 3, Eternals was easily my favourite post-Endgame MCU film. I imagine they're now never going to follow up on the (loving amazing, IMO) cliffhanger ending.

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Disney's FATWAS was overall lib poo poo but Bucky and Zemo are always welcome performances and Battlestar (rip) and USAgent were good new additions

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Opopanax posted:

I'll tell you this, I'd rather watch Falcon in the Winter Soldier again than Iron Fist
:quagmire:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

My greatest hope for Eternals is that it winds up being some big budget blockbuster in-universe Kingo movie and we never see nor hear about any of those characters again.

Except Kingo