Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Donny van de Beek has never looked talented or useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

Donny van de Beek has never looked talented or useful.

Hi Donny!!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

tbp posted:

i promise you this isn't the case. fabinho has been pretty terrible for going on 18 months. he was basically my favorite player in the side before that so i've been paying as close attention as possible. his form picked up when taa was put next to him and gave him some assistance, but his decline has been very sharp.

that said i dont want to sell him, i prize continuity a lot and think it'd be a bad idea. but he's definitely been one of THE major problems for liverpool for a while now

I agree he did improve alot with TAA next to him but for me the biggest decline on that side was Van Dijk. From probably to the best cb in the world to making game losing mistakes every few games and he was bad for Netherlands as well. I'd sell Hendo over him anyday though but if they are willing to spend 40m on him then it's time to go.

Moktaro posted:

Oh good, another reason to hate Miami.

In other MLS transfer news, the Colorado Rapids picked up Rafael Navarro from Palmeiras. Any Brazil watchers here who know anything about him?

Watch a lot of Campeonato, I literally don't remember him. I believe he was just a bench player but Palmeiras has been stacked last few years so there have been decent players who struggled to make into the starting lineup.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I can't believe you've done this.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Leeds apparently after buying Glen Kamara for £6m? which is great news. Can see why Farke would like him, clearly got the talent to play at Championship level, had given up with us in the latter half of the season, and he cost £50k.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Caicedo about to throw his toys out the pram but looking at the Enzo and Rice fee and that he is contracted to 2027 I don't think Brighton will budge.

https://twitter.com/AndyNaylorBHAFC/status/1681247458523860993?s=20

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
wtf

https://twitter.com/RudyGaletti/status/1681251553762590723?t=H6LY1aWB2BR_vFMmIwtfAg&s=33

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Manchester United have signed Jonny Evans lmao

(On a 2 game deal)

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

This Saudi poo poo sucks

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Sandwolf posted:

This Saudi poo poo sucks

- Jamal Khashoggi

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Paperhouse posted:

(On a 2 game deal)

Very large non-zero chance this turns into him being a squad player for the season.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Sandwolf posted:

This Saudi poo poo sucks

It does

Torn between making a Qatar Qomplaints style thread as a place to keep a record of all the dodginess but also don't want to give the league the attention it desperately wants

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

FullLeatherJacket posted:

it's also the first time since 1992 that mancchester united's squad includes nobody who has won the barclays premiere league

Paperhouse posted:

(On a 2 game deal)

:smugdog:

bald king poo poo

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

just Ten Hag mm-hmming at Harry Maguire in the background explaining that he wants to fight for his place while rummaging through Alex Ferguson's old filofax looking for Ronny Johnsen's number

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I can't help but think that, no matter how many elite players the Saudi league gets, it's going to be a weird and uncompetitive league for a very long time.

The players and staff are exclusively there for the ludicrous pay day, and without any concept of club or personal prestige to pay for, the entire league will just play out like an extended pre season friendly tournament.

An entire league of PSGs all playing each other, but with even more pampered and apathetic squads.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Not to mention the loving heat at the start and end of the season

quote:

The average temperature in Riyadh in August for a typical day ranges from a high of 110°F (44°C) to a low of 82°F (28°C). Some would describe it as really hot with a gentle breeze.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
but only some people would describe that as really hot

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

The Perfect Element posted:

I can't help but think that, no matter how many elite players the Saudi league gets, it's going to be a weird and uncompetitive league for a very long time.

The players and staff are exclusively there for the ludicrous pay day, and without any concept of club or personal prestige to pay for, the entire league will just play out like an extended pre season friendly tournament.

An entire league of PSGs all playing each other, but with even more pampered and apathetic squads.

Wow step aside International Champions Cup, there’s a new dog in town

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

The Perfect Element posted:

I really hope it impacts the national team prospects of some of these guys. Chase the petrostate payday, it’s a free country (well, not KSA), but don’t expect to get call-ups.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

sticksy posted:

I really hope it impacts the national team prospects of some of these guys. Chase the petrostate payday, it’s a free country (well, not KSA), but don’t expect to get call-ups.

It probably will. Playing in a glorified friendly league where everyone is just there because they were offered generational wealth isn’t going to have national team managers chomping at the bit to include you in their national team. Sure for guys like Ronaldo they will be at the Euros no matter where they played, but for all these other guys who aren’t stalwarts of their national teams, they probably won’t get called up if there is anyone else half decent in their position playing in a top league.

I think the players going there know that, and most of them are at the end of their careers or were looking like they may not get that step up to the big teams, and would rather just get paid.

I imagine there is also going to be quite a culture shock for many of these players, and I expect we will see a few try to return to Europe next summer, if not in January.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

sticksy posted:

This is why I'm surprised Fabinho is reportedly entertaining a Saudi stint. He gets a good amount of Brazil call-ups and being in the Saudi league is going to put that at risk.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Sandwolf posted:

This Saudi poo poo sucks

They basically bailed out Chelsea lol

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Eric Cantonese posted:

This is why I'm surprised Fabinho is reportedly entertaining a Saudi stint. He gets a good amount of Brazil call-ups and being in the Saudi league is going to put that at risk.
The next world cup is in 2026. He’ll probably be too old by then.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
lol

https://twitter.com/CraigHope_DM/status/1681319420503937024?t=DAbi4uhfrlwmYmpN2dOxyg&s=19

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Saudi trying to buy him from Saudi

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I wonder how the Saudis are identifying these players. There doesn’t seem to be any pattern in who are being linked with moves to the Saudi league. Have they just asked the major agents to poll their clients to see who would be willing to play in a bush league in the desert for a ton of money?

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
More

https://twitter.com/fabrizioromano/status/1681411359748046861?s=46&t=HVZJzoyLgN2cnje_SdLm6w

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

blue footed boobie posted:

I wonder how the Saudis are identifying these players. There doesn’t seem to be any pattern in who are being linked with moves to the Saudi league. Have they just asked the major agents to poll their clients to see who would be willing to play in a bush league in the desert for a ton of money?

Everyone going there wants $$$ over a respectable playing career. Did anyone come back from China and continue to play at the top level..?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Sandwolf posted:

Everyone going there wants $$$ over a respectable playing career. Did anyone come back from China and continue to play at the top level..?

Paulinho went from Guangzhou Evergrande to Barca, but then went back after a season. He was a starter for Barca during that season though!

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
When does Oscar’s deal finish?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

mila kunis posted:

They basically bailed out Chelsea lol

Chelsea got over 120 million from two dumb English clubs and around 40 from Saudi Arabia.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Sandwolf posted:

No I get that. I’m just wondering how they have gone about identifying people who are down for that.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

No I get that. I’m just wondering how they have gone about identifying people who are down for that.

A mouse trap with money instead of cheese.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

the sex ghost posted:

It does

Torn between making a Qatar Qomplaints style thread as a place to keep a record of all the dodginess but also don't want to give the league the attention it desperately wants

isn't that the "Welcome to Saudi Arabia, Ronald" thread?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The sad thing about the Saudi league is that, people I have met from there are genuiely some of the nicest people I have ever met. Canadians are nice stereotype is bs, it should really be saudis are nice.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

I'd guess it's contacting all the super agents and asking who's for sale

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Sandwolf posted:

carrasco, witsel

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
the saudi league will fail because its crowds will be comprised of bored dudes in white clothes staring at their phones, and not the mind-bending, authentic spectacle of a horde of fat, toothless racists in england, sweaty, tanned racists in spain, and over-emotional coffee-sipping racists in italy.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

tristeham posted:

carrasco, witsel

El Shaarawy and Arnautovic have both been decent enough since they came back too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Eau de MacGowan posted:

the saudi league will fail because its crowds will be comprised of bored dudes in white clothes staring at their phones, and not the mind-bending, authentic spectacle of a horde of fat, toothless racists in england, sweaty, tanned racists in spain, and over-emotional coffee-sipping racists in italy.

The dudes in white clothes are also racist. How does this change the leagues’s prospects?