Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Arc Hammer posted:

All this is to say you should watch Pacific Rim 1 because it is a cool and good movie and not watch Suicide Squad or Pacific Rim 2 which are bad and dumb movies.

Absolutely watch Pacific Rim 1!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

edogawa rando posted:

Are you suggesting people don't like to see themselves represented in the media they consume?

I mean I made that point already in my last post about why, no I don't need to see rote representation with no substance done as marketing ploy by loving Disney of all companies with the bit about Lilos sister. But you seemed to ignore that part for some reason.

Just like I didn't like being used to earn points with the dumbest liberals online with the lightyear lesbians or the guy literally named The Fool having one line about having a crush on Gastonm

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jul 18, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Her Asian representation ended with her getting killed in a dumb helicopter crash within the first 15 minutes of the second movie

e: oh and she gets a role in the first suicide squad where she has a sword that eats souls but apparently it ate her voice and personality too, except i guess when she needs to say "honour"

(Karen Fukuhara played Katana, Rinko Kikuchi played Mako.)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

lmao rip me

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

edogawa rando posted:

Are you suggesting people don't like to see themselves represented in the media they consume?

If you genuinely came away from the post you quoted thinking this might be something they were suggesting then I’m afraid you are a bit dim.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

I never liked Pacific Rim that much because the main character is bland, and the cooler characters just die instantly when the actual action of the movie starts.
Nice fights tho.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the bare minimum and if your gay or trans they'll cut all your scenes out for foreign markets and if your black they'll try to downplay your role on the movie posters lol

Or they shut down an entire studio to avoid gay representation.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

NorgLyle posted:

I think that's my big thing with the Disney remakes (and with remakes in general); why would you try to remake something that is already considered a classic? Why not remake something that didn't do as well as you wanted the first time and try to punch it up and make it stronger?
Because Capitalism Breeds Innovation can't you see?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

SkeletonHero posted:

But she did have that one guy's back.

e: I can't remember which guy, but I do know it wasn't Joker and it wasn't Slipknot, the man who can climb anything

It was Rick Flagg, one of the few characters to make it into the second, much better, Suicide Squad.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

it's just a bizarre argument all round because outside of lovely genre brand movies, media made by and representive of people who are not white/cis/male are getting mainstream acclaim and hype in a level I've never seen before. the most hype action movie was RRR (had an Oscar performance), one of the best TV shows on right now is Beef (13 emmys), Parasite... (won best picture). And on, and on.

isn't it far more exciting to have that version of representation getting love and attention for its quality then some dogshit Marvel Star War?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

DeafNote posted:

I never liked Pacific Rim that much because the main character is bland, and the cooler characters just die instantly when the actual action of the movie starts.
Nice fights tho.

Or they shut down an entire studio to avoid gay representation.

Not all of them, I mean Mako makes it through the whole movie!

Only to die in the sequel. :(

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
This is what healing means:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAzlWScHTc4

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

"do people really not know ___ about random youtuber?"

I don't know anything about any youtubers

https://twitter.com/Its_Mr_Floyd/status/1680831127014060033

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Both should be the first picture.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

lol

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

lol

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I’m gonna be first to start kissing corporate boots in 2029 when Disney announces the photorealistic fox man in the Robin Hood “live-action” CGI remake is trans.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I remember wondering a while back what Disney was going to do when they ran out of old animations to remake in live-action. Then they announced the live-action Moana remake and I guess that answered that question. They ain’t gonna run out of this poo poo anytime soon if they start remaking stuff they just released a few years ago!

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I remember wondering a while back what Disney was going to do when they ran out of old animations to remake in live-action. Then they announced the live-action Moana remake and I guess that answered that question. They ain’t gonna run out of this poo poo anytime soon if they start remaking stuff they just released a few years ago!

It’s so insane that Disney is this creatively bankrupt that they can’t even do the thing that made them a success in first place: adapting fairytales and folklore!

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Eventually they’ll loop back around to doing Beauty and the Beast again, only this time it’ll take place in the metaverse with all the scripts being AI-generated and acted out by some of Zuck’s creepy legless avatars.

Welcome to the future of entertainment!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Equeen posted:

It’s so insane that Disney is this creatively bankrupt that they can’t even do the thing that made them a success in first place: adapting fairytales and folklore!

It's funny

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Just watch them remake Toy Story but with real people and animals. And the toys... would it be cheaper to have CG toys or live action toys?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Just have the toys be played by actors and then scale them down, ez money

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pants Donkey posted:

I’m gonna be first to start kissing corporate boots in 2029 when Disney announces the photorealistic fox man in the Robin Hood “live-action” CGI remake is trans.

I’ll be picketing because they didn’t cast an actual furry. Alternately, because they cast one of those nazi furries who gassed that sci-fi convention.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

I’ll be picketing because they didn’t cast an actual furry. Alternately, because they cast one of those nazi furries who gassed that sci-fi convention.
They’re saving the actual all-furry cast for the live-action Zootopia remake, coming to a theater near you June 2036!

(They will be non-union furries, incurring the wrath of the suspiciously powerful Order of Furry Thespians)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If I've gotta choose my representation between animated black characters, I'll take Black Dynamite and any character modeled to look like Samuel L. Jackson over 'POC turned into an animal for 82% of the movie' because some Disney exec had a coke binge and decided 'pigeon gets stuck in a nuclear suitcase' was an idea that needed to be bought for 8 million dollars so now we have Spies in Disguise and Will Smith is a pigeon.

Bakeneko posted:

Eventually they’ll loop back around to doing Beauty and the Beast again, only this time it’ll take place in the metaverse with all the scripts being AI-generated and acted out by some of Zuck’s creepy legless avatars.

Welcome to the future of entertainment!

Thanks to Ublock I don't many ads so I didn't realize there had been a 2017 Spider-Man cartoon that turned everyone into tech glitches.

https://twitter.com/Fenrirtheicewo1/status/1680143600133500928

This is to say that this is the future of Disney remakes. The next Aladdin movie in 2027 will have Jaffar using a mind control ring on the sultan and he'll need some kind of Chaos Emerald to provide him power to be something like a genie at the end.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 18, 2023

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Mraagvpeine posted:

Just watch them remake Toy Story but with real people and animals. And the toys... would it be cheaper to have CG toys or live action toys?

Nah, the toys are live action human actors, but the human characters are all CGI and use the same models from the original film.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

KingKalamari posted:

Nah, the toys are live action human actors, but the human characters are all CGI and use the same models from the original film.

They use real toys with green faces and just cut and paste the actors onto them.

Imagine, an entire movie with faces that look like Wesley Snipes' eyes in Blade Trinity.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

edogawa rando posted:

In a "take whatever we can get" way? I'm sure some people would subscribe to that thought process, but many others would say something along the lines of how you shouldn't just accept the absolute trash that big corps are throwing out in the name of representation. Especially when there is actual good suff out there (often made by minorities themselves!) to appreciate instead.

Almost like groups of people aren't a monolith or something lol

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The best part about Pacific Rim is watching Atlantic Rim 1 & 2 after.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Saagonsa posted:

In a "take whatever we can get" way? I'm sure some people would subscribe to that thought process, but many others would say something along the lines of how you shouldn't just accept the absolute trash that big corps are throwing out in the name of representation. Especially when there is actual good suff out there (often made by minorities themselves!) to appreciate instead.

Almost like groups of people aren't a monolith or something lol

For me, it's more fun to see racist white fanboys show their rear end than to actually watch the film. Nothing that film has can match it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

If I've gotta choose my representation between animated black characters, I'll take Black Dynamite and any character modeled to look like Samuel L. Jackson over 'POC turned into an animal for 82% of the movie' because some Disney exec had a coke binge and decided 'pigeon gets stuck in a nuclear suitcase' was an idea that needed to be bought for 8 million dollars so now we have Spies in Disguise and Will Smith is a pigeon.

Thanks to Ublock I don't many ads so I didn't realize there had been a 2017 Spider-Man cartoon that turned everyone into tech glitches.

https://twitter.com/Fenrirtheicewo1/status/1680143600133500928

This is to say that this is the future of Disney remakes. The next Aladdin movie in 2027 will have Jaffar using a mind control ring on the sultan and he'll need some kind of Chaos Emerald to provide him power to be something like a genie at the end.

Wait, what Spiderman villains aren’t tech-based? Venom?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

I AM GRANDO posted:

Wait, what Spiderman villains aren’t tech-based? Venom?

Most are like half and half at this point

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Off the top of my head, The Lizard, Kraven, Electro, Kingpin, Black Cat, Tombstone, Carnage.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Sandman, dude who killed uncle ben, j jonah jameson, venom

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

[quote="Grassy Knowles" post="533286530"]
Sandman, dude who killed uncle ben,

this is one person

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

J Jonah Jameson is a hero, man has done nothing wrong and dedicated his life to fighting for the freedom of the press and the spread of truth.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Archer666 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeMadjM0ZZI

Perhaps we need more positive representation like Amityville In The Hood

Good description:

"Mike, Jay, and Rich Evans have returned again to the black void. Their reason today? To talk about a new huge summer blockbuster movie? No. Quite the opposite. They was gonna talk about Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning 2: Dead Reckoning 1, BUT they thought… how many times can one see Tom Cruise do stints? No, this day Mike, Jay, and Rich have returned to the black void to talk about “Watchbait” the movie version of “Clickbait”. Trash that has overrun a once great institution like Tubi. And before you ask, no we wasn’t compensated by Tubi to promote these films. We were just browsing about and saw a trend. A trend of using certain words or phrases in a title to get one to click on their junk film to watch it, only to realize after a few minutes they made the worst mistake of their lives. This particular video wasn’t a Half in the Bag. Nor was it a re:View. Nor was it a Best of the Worst. I guess it could have been a “Talks About” video, but nah. We made a new show called “Beyond the Black Void” and if you ever see one of these again, it’s just Mike, Jay and Rich Evens talking about something of interest. In solidarity with the WGA and SAG/AFTRA strike we decided to talk about movies that in no way whatsoever could have possibly been made under any conceivable union agreement. In fact, I’d be shocked if one of these pictures weren’t some kind of nudie snuff film. Maybe that’s why Jay “downloaded all of them on his dark web server” whatever that means. And yes, it’s 100% true, we did just spring this whole thing on Rich Evans. I rang him up on my landline to tell him to come to the studio. Well, actually I left a message on his answering machine. He showed up coming from the gym where’s he’s done many power squats and asked me “What we shootin’ Mike?” and I tell him to sit down and shut up you poo poo-for-brains. He sits down, but there is an immediate squish sound. It would appear that Rich had soiled his large diaper. He claimed he didn’t know. He insisted he ONLY wears a diaper when he does power squats at the gym. 1. it helps stifle the sound of any accidental fart release, but also for… you know what. An accidental Hershey squirt. This is apparently what happened. Luckily a very large toddler had died outside our building and I was able to provide Rich Evans with replacement clothing. A lot went into this video. So please, enjoy."

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Jjj's tech is the printing press

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Actually it's Iron Man's suit with mustache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

J Jonah Jameson is a hero, man has done nothing wrong and dedicated his life to fighting for the freedom of the press and the spread of truth.
He personally sponsored the transformation of a private detective into the super-villain the Scorpion and also fathered the dangerous Man-Wolf.