Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

bamhand posted:

I see they took my least favorite part of the game, getting one shot, and doubled it. Leaning in hard on vanilla D3 design. That's the one that everyone likes right?

It’s better than this one rn yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

flashman posted:

It changes nothing about the gearing strategy because of the buckets, just makes everyone weaker lol

Don't forget everything hits harder and your defense stats are weaker too

The tweaks kind of make almost-great gear a little better while slightly nerfing perfect gear

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Seems weird that you would enjoy the game, but be unable to enjoy it with higher normal damage and lower vulnerable crits + the new heart stuff.
Theres a screenshot upthread of crit and vuln stuff getting cut in half and someone else talking about how they do like 40% less damage. No, I dont like it when something I enjoy using gets reduced in effectiveness by 40% and I get nothing in return.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
the armor change is the weirdest one. i get that disobedience was too strong but like, you morons designed armor to have exponential returns as you get closer to the cap, meaning you basically invest everything or nothing into it

with the hearts removing another 750 armor im not really sure if its even possible to get to the cap anymore

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Theres a screenshot upthread of crit and vuln stuff getting cut in half and someone else talking about how they do like 40% less damage. No, I dont like it when something I enjoy using gets reduced in effectiveness by 40% and I get nothing in return.

its closer to 50% i think, for me, and also overworld mobs hurt me now

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Verviticus posted:

the armor change is the weirdest one. i get that disobedience was too strong but like, you morons designed armor to have exponential returns as you get closer to the cap, meaning you basically invest everything or nothing into it

with the hearts removing another 750 armor im not really sure if its even possible to get to the cap anymore

I have all possible armor rolls on my gear (although some are not capped), capped disobedience on an Amulet on my rogue, and could only get up to about 11k armor

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
5 weeks of fun not bad blizzard, looking forward to the expansion! Good times had by all.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Horse sucks and at least half the time I'd rather walk. Thank god for teleporting to nms.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

If you only gear with the stuff that got a 35% nerf and don't recalibrate for the stuff that got a 25-40% buff, then you are going to only experience the negative part. The hearts are also fairly significant changes.

If you only play your max level character on the eternal realm and refuse to respec or swap gear, then it is definitely fair to be upset because that is going to be bad.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
why are the hearts stuck behind yet another crafting minigame

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Verviticus posted:

lmao, joy. I'll take my WA Barb out for a spin tonight to see how bad it hit me. I had just recently upgrading some items to having more crit chance, crit damage, and vuln damage and was feeling really powerful, so I expect to go back to feeling anemic again.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

bus hustler posted:

why are the hearts stuck behind yet another crafting minigame

They aren't. You get them from dungeon (tunnel) drops.

You can disenchant them to make materials that will let you craft the specific one you want or reroll it.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
The damage changes just mean non-crit-vuln dmg is higher, but that's the damage being multiplied by them. So they just flattened the deviation between the peaks.

This means if you don't use crit+vuln, you're still handicaping yourself, but the difference is smaller.

It will make poo poo builds viable for slightly longer before having to spec into crits and vulns, and crit+vuln builds will have their dmg spikes reduced while also dealing more damage on average.

e: In short, longer boss battles.

Vic fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 18, 2023

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

SettingSun posted:

Horse sucks and at least half the time I'd rather walk. Thank god for teleporting to nms.

i didnt know the horse could even jump gaps until quite a bit of time having it because its detection for chasms is bad

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

They aren't. You get them from dungeon (tunnel) drops.

You can disenchant them to make materials that will let you craft the specific one you want or reroll it.

Using Malignant Invokers, a special Item crafted at Cormond’s Wagon, players can interact with Outgrowths of the same type, causing them to summon a Fully Corrupted enemy. If you can overcome the summoned foe, you’ll receive a Malignant Heart that matches the monster's type.

It sounds like you can get them other ways though and this is just a way to guarantee a specific type of one, or as a way to recycle them like salvaging?? None of the crafting in this game is particularly engaging so we'll see

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

If you only gear with the stuff that got a 35% nerf and don't recalibrate for the stuff that got a 25-40% buff, then you are going to only experience the negative part. The hearts are also fairly significant changes.

If you only play your max level character on the eternal realm and refuse to respec or swap gear, then it is definitely fair to be upset because that is going to be bad.
Right but thats part of my point. I just recently finished upgrading to the good stuff. I dont think switching to "damage to Crowd Controlled enemies" or whatever else generic rear end damage bucket is going to get me to the same power level as I was before. My complaint is that they nerfed a whole bunch of poo poo in a bad, ungraceful way. Instead of making my current build pure rear end, why not just buff the "bad" affixes more (50% or more) rather than 20-30% or whatever, and buff enemy health accordingly? Now I feel like I specifically got shat on and have to change, instead of the game just evolving.

Vic posted:

The damage changes just mean non-crit-vuln dmg is higher, but that's the damage being multiplied by them. So they just flattened the deviation between the peaks.

This means if you don't use crit+vuln, you're still handicaping yourself, but the difference is smaller.

It will make poo poo builds viable for slightly longer before having to spec into crits and vulns, and crit+vuln builds will have their dmg spikes reduced while also dealing more damage on average.
This is a good way of looking at it. I still wont like taking the same character out and doing way less damage, though. I'll test it tonight either way.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

bus hustler posted:

Using Malignant Invokers, a special Item crafted at Cormond’s Wagon, players can interact with Outgrowths of the same type, causing them to summon a Fully Corrupted enemy. If you can overcome the summoned foe, you’ll receive a Malignant Heart that matches the monster's type.

That's just a way to convert hearts you've gotten from just finding them randomly out in the world/dungeons into a crafted material you can use to target farm specific hearts. That's not the primary way to get them.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The things that got buffed all go in the one additive bucket. The things that got nerfed are in their own multiplicative buckets. Those percentages you quote are not even close to directly comparable because of this

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I dont think switching to "damage to Crowd Controlled enemies" or whatever else generic rear end damage bucket is going to get me to the same power level as I was before.

They nerfed this affix too lol

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

flashman posted:

What additional defensive stats?

primarily the increase on mana shield, but i had thought they increased the resists on armor like they did for the damage ones (but it was actually damage+ and defense-.) not sure if theres something else im missing that they changed, but i definitely could not take two hits on tier 80 before the patch.

the bonus from immobilize on devouring blaze seems nerfed enough now that i just took deep freeze and getting a full reset on your defensive abilities also helps a lot obviously.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
my double swing crits went from 4.2m to 2.4m

lol

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbHoVWEgZ2A

meanwhile im getting the poo poo kicked out of me in nm60 now

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

The way the damage buckets work you are still best off gearing exactly like we do now to maximize damage, the damage is just lower.

If you replace vuln and crit with the bucket 1 affixes you're just going to do less damage than the post nerf prior gearing.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tarnop posted:

They nerfed this affix too lol
lmao

I intended to call out one of the generic additive buckets so uhh lets just assume I said "bleeding" instead, I guess?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Tarnop posted:

The things that got buffed all go in the one additive bucket. The things that got nerfed are in their own multiplicative buckets. Those percentages you quote are not even close to directly comparable because of this

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Weird to see this many nerfs in a PvE game

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Radical posted:

primarily the increase on mana shield, but i had thought they increased the resists on armor like they did for the damage ones (but it was actually damage+ and defense-.) not sure if theres something else im missing that they changed, but i definitely could not take two hits on tier 80 before the patch.

the bonus from immobilize on devouring blaze seems nerfed enough now that i just took deep freeze and getting a full reset on your defensive abilities also helps a lot obviously.

I'm amazed if mana shield increased DR even offsets just the armor reduction from disobedience nerf, let alone the 20% reduction in Dr from close, distant, burning, etc.

flashman fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 18, 2023

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Verviticus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbHoVWEgZ2A

meanwhile im getting the poo poo kicked out of me in nm60 now

just proof that no one knows anything when reading patch notes lol

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

quote:

Map discovery is now account wide.

From the patch notes. But my alts don't have as much map exposed as my main. Am I not understanding? Is anyone else seeing this?

Ignore, the maps hadn't updated yet.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Tarnop posted:

This lmao.

If they were serious about adding gear variety then they needed to separate out more damage categories, add actual benefits to more restricted affixes (niche mods like crit on infused skills should roll much higher ranges than generic +crit to all), dramatically buff the terrible flat damage legendary aspects, give players ways to actually target craft gear in some form better than the dogshit rerolls from enchanting, etc.

The added uniques are also amazingly bad lol

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I hate this damage bucket bullshit. It's this weird dissection and distillation of underlying mechanics that makes me hate looking at my gear drops lmao

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Vic posted:

If by dealing more damage on average, you mean average damage per (non-crit/vuln) hit, sure.

If you mean damage per second (which is what actually matters), then absolutely not.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

flashman posted:

I'm amazed if mana shield increased DR even offsets just the armor reduction from disobedience nerf.

Sorc is definitely much better protected from burst damage post-patch. Overall/sustained damage reduction is going to depend on cooldowns and damage types.

These are big drops in burst damage potential:

quote:

Potent Warding duration increased from 3 to 9 seconds.
Protection Barrier duration increased from 2 to 3 seconds.
Align the Elements Damage Reduction per second increased from 1/2/3 to 3/6/9.
Mana Shield Damage Reduction increased from 5/10/15% to 7/14/21%.
Barrier generation increased by 10%.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Any decent build has 100% vuln uptime and is pushing their crit chance as high as they can already.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Obol key chests seem pretty good. Opened 4, 1 legendary from 2, 2 legendaries from the other 2.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Mayveena posted:

From the patch notes. But my alts don't have as much map exposed as my main. Am I not understanding? Is anyone else seeing this?

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

Mayveena posted:

Yea I read account wide as hardcore and softcore? like the horse and story progress? My hardcore character still had the same stuff unlocked as yesterday rather than everything

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Hardcore and Softcore will always be entirely distinct accounts.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Sorc is definitely much better protected from burst damage post-patch. Overall/sustained damage reduction is going to depend on cooldowns and damage types.

These are big drops in burst damage potential:

Potent warding does nothing, protection is a trap talent that sounds like it woild be good but adds very little barrier so duration is irrelevant (it's only on base health) . There is absolutely no way that losing 20 percent on your defensive affixes and a ton of armor from disobedience is mitigated by this lol

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

American McGay posted:

Hardcore and Softcore will always be entirely distinct accounts.

Other than the one weird thing of the horse unlock carrying over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
If nothing else, this is tremendous content.

But seriously, having everyone stack crit/vuln is the most boring itemization path and im glad they’re changing it up a bit.

Ill reserve further comment on balance for when my seasonal character gets going.