Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Relevant mild annoyance: I live in a sixth floor apartment in a city block. This is the last normal floor, the seventh has penthouse apartments. The balconies below ours have a natural ceiling from the next balcony up, while ours is open to the sky. This can be quite nice - but it also means we have to keep the (outward-opening) door closed when it's raining. The ventilation in this 1996 building is non-existent bar the kitchen fan, so if it's warm but raining, well :shrug:

If we owned the place I'd install a little sheet-metal roof over the door.

E: Why not take a picture.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Hah, I understand your feeling because I have lived in a top floor flat where the balcony was not covered. This means that in winter it was full of snow because gently caress shoveling a balcony if you don't smoke. Absolutely useless.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I try to move the snow around enough that we can use it as a fire escape if needed, but yeah.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Do you have a ladder on that balcony, or are you planning on jumping down 6 stories like Jet Li?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ2yu0PEkoI&t=75s

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
That's the back of a chair...

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Bertha the Toaster posted:

That's the back of a chair...

Yeah, and they said they plan to use that balcony as a fire escape if needed and that its on the 6th floor, hence my question.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Nenonen posted:

Hah, I understand your feeling because I have lived in a top floor flat where the balcony was not covered. This means that in winter it was full of snow because gently caress shoveling a balcony if you don't smoke. Absolutely useless.

I live in a top floor flat with a balcony that's covered and it's still mostly full of snow in the winter. The wind carries it just fine, but I don't really care since I just use it to cool off on Fridays and Saturdays while enjoying my sauna and the chairs I have are easy enough to dust off from any snow. The snow underneath my feet is mostly a light dusting since my balcony's deep enough to not get a complete cover, but it still heavily restricts balcony use in the cold months. Mine used to mostly serve as a Christmas light holder until I got into taking extra time in the sauna on the weekend just to relax a bit better.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Cat Hatter posted:

Do you have a ladder on that balcony, or are you planning on jumping down 6 stories like Jet Li?

Neither, really. We're supposed to get out through the single stairwell, relying on the apartment/hallway doors to isolate a fire long enough to allow that. Failing that, shelter in place and wait for some sort of rescue.

The chance of
- a fire
- that for some reason we can't flee through the stairs
- while there's enough snow to block the terrace door
- and the rescue solution they go for is ladder truck or cherry picker grabbing people from the balconies

is probably right near zero, but on the other hand it's also very little work to make things faster and easier in that theoretical case.

Besides, I've been putting out bird feed the last winters, so I have a secondary motivation to keep the door working. :)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 16, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Window screens.
Many, many years ago (1972) my father was leading a college study abroad in Sweden and Denmark. During a break in Norway, we were appalled to learn that hostels (my parents were stingy thrifty) had windows that opened, but not screens. We arrived in one hostel whose previous resident had tracked up gauze over the windows. We liberated the gauze and the thumbtacks and travelled onward. (The mosquitoes in Trondheim in summer 1972 were fiendish.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

wheatpuppy posted:

Sure, you have to climb out a window to dig the packed snow away from the door so you can open it outward, but that's a feature, not a bug.

If it ever happens, someone will probably want to change it. In the meantime tho...

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Many, many years ago (1972) my father was leading a college study abroad in Sweden and Denmark. During a break in Norway, we were appalled to learn that hostels (my parents were stingy thrifty) had windows that opened, but not screens. We arrived in one hostel whose previous resident had tracked up gauze over the windows. We liberated the gauze and the thumbtacks and travelled onward. (The mosquitoes in Trondheim in summer 1972 were fiendish.)

My parents have a cabin down on the western south coast of Norway, where my grandfather is from. It's one of the peak regions for emigration, both temporary and permanent; up into the 1990's an outright majority of the county had lived in the US at some point. Back in the 50's and 60's, those coming back often brought luxury goods - cars, electrical goods*, clothes, and ... screen doors. Driving around down there you still see a lot of them, which is AFAIK unique to that little corner of the country.

But we have actually discovered mosquito netting - though I can't speak for the 1970's. :)

* There was a small industry installing 110V transformers and running separate house wiring for it. Fancy fridges were apparently especially popular.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Going to Lapland in mid summer is a rookie tourist mistake. That is, unless you know how to deal with the flying friends. Autumn is particularly popular period for trekkers because the mosquitoes have mostly vanished with cold nights and all the plants are blooming in red and yellow colours.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Computer viking posted:

* There was a small industry installing 110V transformers and running separate house wiring for it. Fancy fridges were apparently especially popular.

God bless overbuilt American equipment for not giving up the ghost when subjected to inferior fifty hertz sine waves. :patriot:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Platystemon posted:

God bless overbuilt American equipment for not giving up the ghost when subjected to inferior fifty hertz sine waves. :patriot:

Good point, I don't think these people were mounting motor-generator sets in their basements.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Nenonen posted:

Going to Lapland in mid summer is a rookie tourist mistake. That is, unless you know how to deal with the flying friends. Autumn is particularly popular period for trekkers because the mosquitoes have mostly vanished with cold nights and all the plants are blooming in red and yellow colours.

What if people want to get their nuts bit off by a Laplander? Seems like any time of the year would be good for that.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

What if people want to get their nuts bit off by a Laplander? Seems like any time of the year would be good for that.

I believe this also happens in autumn, but you can probably get your nuts bitten in the Santa's Village any time of the year. That's not as authentic, though.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Platystemon posted:

True. When we moved to Switzerland in 1970 we brought our Sears Coldspot refrigerator with an icemaker. Plunked a 30A transformer down next to it & it ran happily for the seven years we were in Europe (last two years were in France).

We had it repaired once, and the Swiss technician replacing the compressor was amazed at the size of the thing; he thought that it was a commercial unit. The icemaker blew his mind.

My Mom also brought her Electrolux canister vacuum, which was built like a tank. My dad put a Euro plug on it for some reason. My Mom hired a cleaning lady to help set up the house for a party, and she plugged it into the wall & flipped it on...Mom said it screamed for about 20-seconds before the 110V motor blew out. They had it repaired with a 220V motor, so when we came home in 1977, it was used...with a transformer.

110V turntables worked at 50-cycles; the speed cam had to be replaced so the platter would turn at 33-1/3-RPM. TVs did not show anything but snow. My parents tried to watch the Frazier-Ali fight in 1971, they were able to tune in a crappy picture on the 10" Sears portable B&W we brought, and listened through Armed Forces Radio.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 16, 2023

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Hmm you know what when I replace my poo poo front door with a new one (with a catflap) I might go for outward opening because the hallway is narrow and you have to walk half way up it to be able to get in then take your shoes off and close the door behind you.

Also it would confuse the poo poo out of the postman

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Install a garage door as your front door.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Nenonen posted:

I wanna say that's where a character in some series lives but anyway a roller door would be superior.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I wanna say that's where a character in some series lives but anyway a roller door would be superior.

Rich Tron kid in the new movie parks his motorcycle in his living room thanks to that, you can tell he’s ruggedly chic and eschews societal norms by this fact.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Nenonen posted:

Paint a regular door on the garage door too.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've been seeing fancy garage doors in new mansions lately. Like the main living room will have the whole back wall being a very glassy garage door that can roll up to open the room up to an outside patio or something.

Stuff like this, although this one looks to be on a float home.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Dan Tanna in Vega$

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Rich Tron kid in the new movie parks his motorcycle in his living room thanks to that, you can tell he’s ruggedly chic and eschews societal norms by this fact.

Lol yes it was Tron legacy!

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

My sister-in-law’s new place in the suburbs of San Diego has a half sized glass garage door on the back wall of the kitchen. It lets the kitchen counter open up to the outside patio. I haven’t been out to the new house, so no idea how useful it ends up being.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Orvin posted:

My sister-in-law’s new place in the suburbs of San Diego has a half sized glass garage door on the back wall of the kitchen. It lets the kitchen counter open up to the outside patio. I haven’t been out to the new house, so no idea how useful it ends up being.
I feel like the concept of this and other "non-traditional 'garage door' uses" is pretty good, but it has to be properly executed. Most garage doors that I've seen don't really seal that well against bugs etc, or to retain heat/cold during the seasons, which sucks. But I guess a purpose built door like that could work fine.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I think the key there is "San Diego". It doesn't get cold there, and while it does get hot in the summer, it should be manageable even if one room has a leaky wall.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I think the key there is "San Diego". It doesn't get cold there, and while it does get hot in the summer, it should be manageable even if one room has a leaky wall.

True, but building codes tend to include insulation wrt both heat and cool don't they?

Like a building code isn't going to say "yeah you have to retain heat to X efficiency, but gently caress retaining cold, don't bother bro.

E: although, if a building is good at retaining heat, then it's probably good at retaining cold too. But then again, this is the crappy construction thread so ..

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 17, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I insulated the poo poo out of my foundation, but my roof is just a sheet of corrugated steel

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

How about the stairs?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

How about the stairs?

Cantilevered and made of off the shelf glass from Lowe’s.

Woefully insulated.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I feel like the concept of this and other "non-traditional 'garage door' uses" is pretty good, but it has to be properly executed. Most garage doors that I've seen don't really seal that well against bugs etc, or to retain heat/cold during the seasons, which sucks. But I guess a purpose built door like that could work fine.

Think of all of the crap snowing down on your prep, cooking & eating surfaces when you have the urge to go al fresco.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

PainterofCrap posted:

Think of all of the crap snowing down on your prep, cooking & eating surfaces when you have the urge to go al fresco.

Extra seasoning.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

PainterofCrap posted:

Crabs for dinner tonight!

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I can't decide if I'm more angry about the Gary-rear end power outlet, the boob fixture near the fridge, or the can lights that are oriented the wrong way.

But buddy, I am pissed.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Beef Of Ages posted:

I can't decide if I'm more angry about the Gary-rear end power outlet, the boob fixture near the fridge, or the can lights that are oriented the wrong way.

But buddy, I am pissed.

For me it's the handles for the cabinets that are mostly misaligned despite the cabinet doors being seemingly aligned properly.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
What the gently caress? That loving outlet is killing me here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

VelociBacon posted:

For me it's the handles for the cabinets that are mostly misaligned despite the cabinet doors being seemingly aligned properly.

No way to know how these things are gonna line up...