Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Oh brother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Both of you just toxx and move on

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

101 posted:

Both of you just toxx and move on

"both"?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
There were rumors earlier this year of the 15” getting a M2 pro option at launch, and it’s unfortunately tied to the number of monitor outputs for apple silicon.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

There were rumors earlier this year of the 15” getting a M2 pro option at launch, and it’s unfortunately tied to the number of monitor outputs for apple silicon.

given its current price point as-is and the price point of the Macbook Pro models I think it's very highly unlikely, unless apple think they can adequately market a computer with a bigger/smaller/worse display and fewer ports but the same internals. Does it cost less than the 14" MBP? More? Does it cost the same amount? Why wouldn't that person just buy a 16" MBP that already costs just $200 more than its respective 14"? This is something Lenovo would do, not Apple.

but also apple made $3500 VR goggles and a $7000+ mac pro whose sole purpose seems to be to make the $4000 M2 Ultra Mac Studio look like a good deal so who knows as far as big improbabilities are concerned :shrug:

WRT the monitor outputs, I can see your point- I think it's likelier that some future Mx chip comes with more lanes at the base level. Or that Apple just keep the limitation as-is and continue to push people who want multiple displays to the Macbook Pro.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

jabro posted:

May I introduce you to the iPad 3rd gen.

You mean The New iPad™. :colbert:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

You mean The New iPad™. :colbert:

that's called a course correction and Apple does it way more frequently than ppl seem to think

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
Why isn't anyone talking about when we're gonna get an Apple Polishing Cloth update?

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007
My ancient airport express seems to be on the way out, what's the current good poo poo for airplay to a stereo system?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

retpocileh posted:

Why isn't anyone talking about when we're gonna get an Apple Polishing Cloth update?

We've all lost hope, and despair ever again experiencing the best life has to offer. :(

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Brian Worms posted:

My ancient airport express seems to be on the way out, what's the current good poo poo for airplay to a stereo system?

the easiest is to just pick up a user airport express from ebay or something, but you can also install an airplay receiver on rpi/rpi0 these days, which is what we did

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

retpocileh posted:

Let Tim cook

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Brian Worms posted:

Depends on what your budget/desire is:

Wiim for $90-150 (probably the current go-to)

(There’s also a Belkin one that’s probably just as good for a similar price)

Bluesound for $500 if you want other file streaming/etc options

Apple TV if you want to send to an AV receiver with HDMI

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Yeah

Paul MaudDib posted:

tbh I really think the 15" MBA could hold an m2 pro and it really wouldn't surprise me if its next refresh cycle it gets m3 pro
vs

Ok Comboomer posted:

Apple is never going to put an M3 Pro into a MacBook Air

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
yeah how dare we discuss specific rumors about apple hardware in the apple hardware thread.

again: gently caress off and go do something else if you don’t want to post.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
We don’t care that you’re discussing rumors we care that you’re being obnoxious fucks about it

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Grassy Knowles posted:

We don’t care that you’re discussing rumors we care that you’re being obnoxious fucks about it

one of these guys literally tried to backseat-mod me on the literal last page because I wanted to talk about a rumor lmao, what are you talking about

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I’ve looked at all the rumors, debated for the last week between a m2 air 15 and m2 pro 14 and waiting for the M3, and after my doctor appointment tomorrow and making sure insurance covers something I may need, I’m going to buy the m2 pro with my new Apple Card and use the educational discount right now with the bonus gift card to pay for a new Magic Trackpad.

Probably going 32 gigs of ram and 1TB on the m2. Pretty stoked for my first non intel Mac.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Sorry. I don’t think you were originally obnoxious, but this conversation got tedious because of the reactions you inspired and now everyone’s continuing it. Including me now so who am I to talk ig?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I’m sad apple didn’t make a quad die Ultra just for clout.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

I'm sad apple didn't (and maybe won't) make an Apple Silicon Mac Pro truly worth buying

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ok Comboomer posted:

that's called a course correction and Apple does it way more frequently than ppl seem to think
still waiting for them to come to their senses and brand iOS devices with release year like Macs

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They should course correct the lovely new Preferences.app

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
We should course correct this thread into pictures of pets posed next to McIntosh apples

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Looks like a new wave of USB4/Thunderbolt docks is coming out - Plugable just released a Dual 4k/144hz w/ HDMI 2.1 dock for under $200.

Edit: Boo, can only do dual monitors using MST, which macOS doesn't offer.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I wasn’t backseating modding you; I was calling you out for writing one of your typical bullshit opinion screeds that you try to pass off as knowledgeable fact, including linking sources that in no way justified what you were claiming.

If you had just prefaced your entire screed with “Based on the rumors I’ve been reading,”, it would have been fine.

But instead you present it all as fact and then double down on defensiveness when called out on it.

Edit:

Ok Comboomer posted:

I'm sad apple didn't (and maybe won't) make an Apple Silicon Mac Pro truly worth buying

I honestly believe they’re either a) using this as a stopgap until they can bring out a refined/revised true successor to the current Pro chassis, or b) assuming that the Pro won’t sell anywhere near as well as the Ultra Studio and will ultimately use the poor sales in a few years to just can the Pro entirely. But if it does happen to sell well enough they’ll limp it along given the high margins it likely makes.

The Mac Pro has kinda felt to me like it was one of Steve Jobs particular quirks given his industry history and Apple’s just kinda kept it limping along since.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 18, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

wasn't the scuttlebutt that there was supposed to be one for the mac pro but it didn't work? so next year, hopefully

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Halo product. Put the quad die into a Studio you don’t need tower chassis.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

SourKraut posted:

I honestly believe they’re either a) using this as a stopgap until they can bring out a refined/revised true successor to the current Pro chassis, or b) assuming that the Pro won’t sell anywhere near as well as the Ultra Studio and will ultimately use the poor sales in a few years to just can the Pro entirely. But if it does happen to sell well enough they’ll limp it along given the high margins it likely makes.

The Mac Pro has kinda felt to me like it was one of Steve Jobs particular quirks given his industry history and Apple’s just kinda kept it limping along since.

I definitely agree that it seems like they had more interesting plans for the Mac Pro that just haven’t come together yet. It doesn’t really make sense for it to be so boring an update after all this time. We’ll see in a couple of years I guess :shrug:.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Everyone can just block that Paul guy. Makes your lives in this thread more harmonious. It’ll make mine likewise since I won’t have to see his posts in your quotes.

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007
I mean, if i can stick a PCI capture card in a cage and hook it to a Studio, i really don't see any need for the Pro.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

jabro posted:

Everyone can just block that Paul guy. Makes your lives in this thread more harmonious. It’ll make mine likewise since I won’t have to see his posts in your quotes.

Wait is he nom epique? The guy with the forced gimmick, weirdly exclusive to apple related threads, that never really took off?

Anyway why are people getting mad about good computers. Computers are good, and these are good computers!

So I’ve been using the Magic Trackpad for a while on my desk and I really like it and it was quite expensive but also my hand cramps up a fair bit while using it. I don’t want to throw in the towel and just get a real mouse, even though my hand is probably cramping because it’s been 30+ years of using real mice. As the gestures are good and it looks good on my desk. I’ve heard mixed things about the Magic Mouse. Anyone got any trackpad tips

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The Grumbles posted:

Wait is he nom epique? The guy with the forced gimmick, weirdly exclusive to apple related threads, that never really took off?

Anyway why are people getting mad about good computers. Computers are good, and these are good computers!

So I’ve been using the Magic Trackpad for a while on my desk and I really like it and it was quite expensive but also my hand cramps up a fair bit while using it. I don’t want to throw in the towel and just get a real mouse, even though my hand is probably cramping because it’s been 30+ years of using real mice. As the gestures are good and it looks good on my desk. I’ve heard mixed things about the Magic Mouse. Anyone got any trackpad tips

Trackpad on the left side, track ball/mx master 3 mouse on the right side of the keyboard. Trackpad is for quickly changing desktops, and casual up down page scrolling. Trackball mouse is for clicking. My minor RSI went away when I switched to the three input lifestyle. (And went with a MK keyboard and or Apple/mx keys keyboard)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Grumbles posted:

No.

Also, I don't have any track pad tips and they are awful for your body over long sessions anyway because of the orientation of your wrist. Either find some way to incline it several degrees so your wrist is closer to a handshake position or grab one of these dxt mice that you push with your fingers for small movements and your whole arm for large movements. https://www.dxtmouse.com/dxt-mouse-3-wireless-light-click/

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

TACD posted:

still waiting for them to come to their senses and brand iOS devices with release year like Macs

They don’t brand their Macs with the release year, they only refer to it in support documents and stuff.

You never see “Mac Studio 2022” in big letters on any product boxes or ads.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

The Grumbles posted:

you should have a wrist pad for keyboard and mouse and trackpad use, honestly. also try to use the trackpad by moving your whole arm, not by pivoting your wrist.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Also, wrist pads should only be used when resting your hands. Lift your wrists off the rests when actively using the keyboard, mouse, or track pad.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Last Chance posted:

They don’t brand their Macs with the release year, they only refer to it in support documents and stuff.

You never see “Mac Studio 2022” in big letters on any product boxes or ads.
Yeah actually you’re right and that would be even better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Which leads to fun situations like me walking out of the Apple Store for the second time in like 5 years with a new iPad Pro, stopping on the escalator in a sudden grip of panic, frantically ripping open the bag and looking up release dates and SKUs on my phone trying to assure myself based on Wikipedia articles and tech sheets 85% of the way down an infinite-scrolling marketing page that what I'd just bought was in fact the current new model and not the last of the old stock that they hadn't cleared out of yet

I lucked out this time but the previous one actually WAS the last of the old stock and not the brand-new one they'd just announced and released, I had to go back and they grudgingly gave me a cash refund, handing over stacks of rumpled bills, after I explained that the one I wanted was in fact the NEW new one that apparently wasn't on sale there until the following week which they had assured me, upon my asking them directly to their faces 15 minutes earlier, that it was

If only they had a clear release date or model name instead of "6th generation" or whatever