Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
I expected Grizzly Rage to get a nerf, say shorten the overall time of it, but reducing the unstoppable to just the first third of it with no visual indicator of when it's about to run out means you are right in the middle of a pack of elites killing them when it goes and are cc'd and dead .5 seconds later.

Having the little marks above your head and counting to six isn't really what I was hoping for. And considering it needs to melee to get spirit back if you didn't proc a refill means you're left skulking round a corner waiting for your ultimate to come back up so you can run in again for six seconds and hope to get out, often in a room absolutely full of nasty things on the ground especially with the damage output halved.

The flow of play is completely borked. I absolutely can't face going near this paragon boards again to rejig things in a circle to make it all usable. Goodbye druid. I'm sorry.

Rogue for S1. That should be fun because I've no idea what it had pre-patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You
im starting to think the future of this game isn't very bright

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
I… I kind of want to Main a Sorc in S1 BECAUSE it’s allegedly so awful.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Well with the changes you get the most damage by stacking crit and vuln, you just do half as much damage as before. Still stacking the same stats though.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

wemgo posted:

But seriously, having everyone stack crit/vuln is the most boring itemization path and im glad they’re changing it up a bit.

They're not changing it though. You will still do more damage by stacking vuln and crit than you would by not stacking it. You just do less damage than you did before the patch.

You still have no itemization choice (unless your "choice" is to purposely do less damage).

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

flashman posted:

Potent warding does nothing, protection is a trap talent that sounds like it woild be good but adds very little barrier so duration is irrelevant. There is absolutely no way that losing 20 percent on your defensive affixes and a ton of armor from disobedience is mitigated by this lol

It definitely does for single large hits while you have a barrier. Overall, it will be more damage over time. But, big single hits (which are usually the deadliest) are reduced more according to this armor calculator:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14M-MlCJz6NyUAK4o24Ph5aT1nhpWjYuWaPyPqI_1UcI/edit?pli=1#gid=0

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

If by dealing more damage on average, you mean average damage per (non-crit/vuln) hit, sure.

If you mean damage per second (which is what actually matters), then absolutely not.

Yeah exactly I worded it poorly. +Average damage per regular hit, but lower DPS.

SettingSun posted:

I hate this damage bucket bullshit. It's this weird dissection and distillation of underlying mechanics that makes me hate looking at my gear drops lmao

Yeah it's like calculating taxes

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Future of this game is so bright my char has to wear shades :cool:

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
yeah i wish the other damage stats were made more powerful instead of crude "items roll stat a x% less and stat b y% more" because the good stats are still good but now you get less of them in your items.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Vic posted:

Yeah exactly I worded it poorly. +Average damage per regular hit, but lower DPS.

Yeah it's like calculating taxes

I can't wait for introduction of marginal DPS brackets.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Ehud posted:

Future of this game is so bright my char has to wear shades :cool:

Shades only available as part of the Rubios Baja Fresh cross promotion

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

junan_paalla posted:

yeah i wish the other damage stats were made more powerful instead of crude "items roll stat a x% less and stat b y% more" because the good stats are still good but now you get less of them in your items.

i wish they acknowledged that uniques suck but they went ahead and released new ones with stupid loving affixes so i think they're just braindead

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

They're not changing it though. You will still do more damage by stacking vuln and crit than you would by not stacking it. You just do less damage than you did before the patch.

You still have no itemization choice (unless your "choice" is to purposely do less damage).

Reducing the effectiveness of these skills is the first step to building a more diverse set of desirable affixes. Though I will agree that it’s the first step of many. Changing numerical limits on affixes and skills without changing HOW these affixes and skills interact is a larger problem that they really need to address by next season if they want to compete with That Other Game.

Also, where is world tier 5? That seems like it should be the place to reduce global defenses by 30% or w/e

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Good Citizen posted:

It’s better than this one rn yeah

No. No it isn't.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I'm not super excited about most of the changes, but normalizing damage a bit and recognizing that they need to get away from the current bucket is a good thing.

It's mostly just very funny that there are people who are (supposedly) seriously posting, "I was enjoying this game and having lots of fun in the core gameplay, but now I will not even play season 1 or boot up the game to see the impact because I read that they are reducing the maximum armor bonus per tick from disobedience to 0.4 per second from 0.5 per second. I'm OUT!"

PsySabreW
Jan 7, 2005

Bicep curls the asgardian way
Can we just get Scott Steiner to explain how to gear out characters? Pretty obvious now that the game runs on Steiner math.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I'm just glad I got my Uber Lilith kill on sorc already. I dunno how the fair builds will be able to kill her at all while bone spear is still broken probably because it was doing like 10x the damage of everything else and now it's 5x? lol

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Game probably needs a UI elemant to explain multiplicative damage buckets. I don't see why that would be impossible.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Verviticus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbHoVWEgZ2A

meanwhile im getting the poo poo kicked out of me in nm60 now

drat that's crazy. i was just reading reddit and they said bone spear was dead

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Mr Beens posted:

Obol key chests seem pretty good. Opened 4, 1 legendary from 2, 2 legendaries from the other 2.

Was that patched at some point? I stopped buying keys a long time ago because it was always rare trash and I can already gamble for that without searching for a chest.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It was patched right now. Some sneaky little things made their way into the notes, like you can craft as many things as you want now.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

poemdexter posted:

Was that patched at some point? I stopped buying keys a long time ago because it was always rare trash and I can already gamble for that without searching for a chest.

it was patched today

External Organs posted:

Game probably needs a UI elemant to explain multiplicative damage buckets. I don't see why that would be impossible.

I figure this is what they were going for with "+X%[+]" vs "+X%[x]" - but basically Bucket Theory is just "increased damage" vs "more damage" from That Other Game right? Crit, Vuln, mainstat, and a few other special cases give More, everything else is Increased, and it got described even worse by the initial theorycrafters so now we're stuck with it?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 18, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

recognizing that they need to get away from the current bucket is a good thing

I'm not sure you're visualizing The Buckets correctly here.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

poemdexter posted:

Just today:

quote:

Overall loot quality has been significantly improved for Silent Chests.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

PsySabreW posted:

Can we just get Scott Steiner to explain how to gear out characters? Pretty obvious now that the game runs on Steiner math.

You know they say that all damage buckets are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Joe Generic Damage and you can see that statement is not true. See, normally if you go one on one with another bucket, you got a 50/50 chance of doing damage. But I'm a genetic vulnerable freak and I'm not normal! So you got a 25%, AT BEST, at beat me. Then you add Crit Angle to the mix, your chances of winning drastic go down. See the 3 way in Season 1, you got a 33 1/3 chance of doing damage, but I, I got a 66 and 2/3 chance of doing damage, because Crit Angle KNOWS he can't beat me and he's not even gonna try!
So Joe, you take your 33 1/3 chance, minus my 25% chance and you got an 8 1/3 chance of doing damage in Season 1. But then you take my 75% chance of doing damage, if we was to go one on one, and then add 66 2/3 per cents, I got 141 2/3 chance of doing damage in Season 1. See Joe, the numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you in the Season of the Malignant!

Dr. Mantis Toboggan fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 18, 2023

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
They just made everyone do less damage, take more damage, and get less XP across the board.

They didn't buff anything enough to make anything that isn't crit / vuln / + armor more desirable. It's dumb as poo poo. Presumably the hearts make up for some of it, but they have already said they are not going to make it into the base game after season 1.

I kind of thought they would nerf some of the best builds, but I wasn't really just expecting universal nerfs. I'm a fool. I'm still going to play, and bone spear necro DPS was pretty ridiculous, so I imagine it will still be fine, but "we want to you to do less damage, take more damage, and need to do +10 NM dungeons to get less XP" is a real way to try to stretch out the game without adding significant content.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

quote:

Whispers will no longer reward Sigil Dust.

Is that going to make progressing into higher tier NM dungeons even slower? Took me like 10 nightmare dungeons at Level 1 in WT3 before I got a sigil for a level 3 dungeon and unlocked Sigil crafting, but at least at that point I had a bunch of sigil dust, I presume from Whispers. This makes it seem like they didn't do anything to make sigil craft unlock more easily, and dust will be harder to come by.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Not sure why they had to nerf sigil dust like that, since the lion's share of it comes from disenchanting the many junk ones you get from doing nms at all.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

McCoy Pauley posted:

Is that going to make progressing into higher tier NM dungeons even slower? Took me like 10 nightmare dungeons at Level 1 in WT3 before I got a sigil for a level 3 dungeon and unlocked Sigil crafting, but at least at that point I had a bunch of sigil dust, I presume from Whispers. This makes it seem like they didn't do anything to make sigil craft unlock more easily, and dust will be harder to come by.

You get dust from other stuff (event chests, helltide chests, I think bosses can drop it)

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Substandard posted:

They just made everyone do less damage, take more damage, and get less XP across the board.

They didn't buff anything enough to make anything that isn't crit / vuln / + armor more desirable. It's dumb as poo poo. Presumably the hearts make up for some of it, but they have already said they are not going to make it into the base game after season 1.

I kind of thought they would nerf some of the best builds, but I wasn't really just expecting universal nerfs. I'm a fool. I'm still going to play, and bone spear necro DPS was pretty ridiculous, so I imagine it will still be fine, but "we want to you to do less damage, take more damage, and need to do +10 NM dungeons to get less XP" is a real way to try to stretch out the game without adding significant content.

it would be sort of ok if they A: understood the systems of their own game and B: actually made every class equally weak, instead of just ignoring a handful of them

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

So, it takes longer to kill stuff now and you get less xp for doing it? I wonder if that’s just to accommodate for the xp boosts in the season track.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

You know they say that all damage buckets are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Joe Generic Damage and you can see that statement is not true. See, normally if you go one on one with another bucket, you got a 50/50 chance of doing damage. But I'm a genetic vulnerable freak and I'm not normal! So you got a 25%, AT BEST, at beat me. Then you add Crit Angle to the mix, your chances of winning drastic go down. See the 3 way in Season 1, you got a 33 1/3 chance of doing damage, but I, I got a 66 and 2/3 chance of doing damage, because Crit KNOWS he can't beat me and he's not even gonna try!
So Joe, you take your 33 1/3 chance, minus my 25% chance and you got an 8 1/3 chance of doing damage in Season 1. But then you take my 75% chance of doing damage, if we was to go one on one, and then add 66 2/3 per cents, I got 141 2/3 chance of doing damage in Season 1. See Joe, the numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you in the Season of the Malignant!

This is very good. Thank you :lol:

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Substandard posted:

The fact that they just buffed nightmare dungeon XP, and now they're nerfing a thing that only affects nightmare dungeon XP (Since there's no where else to fight enemies 10+ levels higher) is also pretty weird. Also nerfing XP right before putting an XP buff in the battlepass is..a choice.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Tarnop posted:

You get dust from other stuff (event chests, helltide chests, I think bosses can drop it)

Ah- - thanks. I guess I wasn't really paying attention, since it seemed like it took so long at WT3 to get the ability to craft sigils, but that makes sense. Now if they would just make it that beating your first NM dungeon unlocks the ability to craft sigils. Seems deeply stupid to lock that behind a level 3 NM dungeon and then you just have to rely on a lucky drop of a level 3 sigil, instead of naturally working your way up from 1 to 3.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
I wanna go back to when the worst thing anybody thought could have happened today was the hearts were boring

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'm not super excited about most of the changes, but normalizing damage a bit and recognizing that they need to get away from the current bucket is a good thing.

It's mostly just very funny that there are people who are (supposedly) seriously posting, "I was enjoying this game and having lots of fun in the core gameplay, but now I will not even play season 1 or boot up the game to see the impact because I read that they are reducing the maximum armor bonus per tick from disobedience to 0.4 per second from 0.5 per second. I'm OUT!"
I havent seen anyone here say this.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

McCoy Pauley posted:

Ah- - thanks. I guess I wasn't really paying attention, since it seemed like it took so long at WT3 to get the ability to craft sigils, but that makes sense. Now if they would just make it that beating your first NM dungeon unlocks the ability to craft sigils. Seems deeply stupid to lock that behind a level 3 NM dungeon and then you just have to rely on a lucky drop of a level 3 sigil, instead of naturally working your way up from 1 to 3.

It's an auto pickup item like all crafting mats so generally a chest goes pop and you see the text for half a second before it's gone into your materials tab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

M. Night Skymall posted:

The fact that they just buffed nightmare dungeon XP, and now they're nerfing a thing that only affects nightmare dungeon XP (Since there's no where else to fight enemies 10+ levels higher) is also pretty weird. Also nerfing XP right before putting an XP buff in the battlepass is..a choice.

The base XP per enemy level still goes up. It is only something like a 4-6% actual XP nerf for a normal player (which is also being made up with the 12% overall XP buff from the season journey). It is a huge nerf for level 1 people in WT4 NM dungeons.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 18, 2023