Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Dead Space 1 owns so far. How are the sequels? And the remake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Morpheus posted:

Cult elements in any supernatural horror are always the worst parts. Like, there's eldritch entities and things beyond your understanding and dark forces you can't possibly comprehend and also here is jim with a knife.

I feel the difference is that the SH1 cult felt very real despite the fantastical of it. It had its charlatans like Kaufman, it had a drug trade loving up the town to fund its ventures, it had shitloads of child abuse, and it felt suitably like modern-day lunatics loving around with old forces that they didn't respect (Dahlia).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

sponges posted:

Dead Space 1 owns so far. How are the sequels? And the remake?

The remake's good enough that I'm never gonna play the original again, it mostly sticks closely to it but fixes things I didn't like so much. 2's a fantastic sequel that still holds up. 3.........there's some okay stuff in it....

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Black August posted:

I feel the difference is that the SH1 cult felt very real despite the fantastical of it. It had its charlatans like Kaufman, it had a drug trade loving up the town to fund its ventures, it had shitloads of child abuse, and it felt suitably like modern-day lunatics loving around with old forces that they didn't respect (Dahlia).

True. I think the issue I have with them is that a lot of the time it grounds the threat in a really boring way. Those guys aren't really threats, they're just people that are in the periphery of the things you're fighting. Then there are the cultists enemies from Homecoming...

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob
"The Vision™" is going to be hamfistedly overexplaining the plot/mythology, or recreating the Rogue One Vader scene but with Pyramid Head. Possibly both

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

The remake's good enough that I'm never gonna play the original again, it mostly sticks closely to it but fixes things I didn't like so much. 2's a fantastic sequel that still holds up. 3.........there's some okay stuff in it....

3 is a fantastic co-op shooter set in the Dead Space universe. It is very unlike the others in terms of almost everything, and the story has gone completely off the rails in a very bad way.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

after the double pyramid head boss fight james will pull the helmet off of one only to see his own face staring back at him

then he will pull the helmet off the other to also see his own face staring back at him

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

0 rows returned posted:

after the double pyramid head boss fight james will pull the helmet off of one only to see his own face staring back at him

then he will pull the helmet off the other to also see his own face staring back at him

Then he's going to look in a mirror and see he's wearing a pyramid head, then the screen will flash and he'll back away going "no...no!" while grasping and shaking his head.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Stop making the SH2 remake sound good.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I'm expecting one giant wink at the camera for four hours.

Bloober Team really should have been given an Illbleed remake to work on given their past performance and the level of subtlety they appear to be comfortable with.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
My review of DreadXP's My Friendly Neighborhood went live this morning.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/video...ys-it-straight/

It's a PG-13 Resident Evil, down to being extremely speedrunner-friendly. You might dig it if you're able to suspend your disbelief.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Manager Hoyden posted:

I'm expecting one giant wink at the camera for four hours.

Bloober Team really should have been given an Illbleed remake to work on given their past performance and the level of subtlety they appear to be comfortable with.

Nah they'd gently caress up on the subtlety of brainless Randy somehow

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I'll probably give the SH2 remake a try if the only complaints end up being people whining that it isn't exactly like the original. Who knows, Bloober might surprise everyone!

... it's a very, very long shot.

TheAnomaly posted:

3 is a fantastic co-op shooter set in the Dead Space universe. It is very unlike the others in terms of almost everything, and the story has gone completely off the rails in a very bad way.

It is a bearable co-op shooter at best, and that's only because playing it with a friend is what makes it bearable.

This has been hashed out before though so just gonna agree to disagree on that particular point.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

0 rows returned posted:

And then to show that he has finally accepted himself they kiss and like in a hot way

VvV Yes you CAN pet the dog!

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 17, 2023

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

the dog ending is going to take up 33% of the game

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Wanderer posted:

It's a PG-13 Resident Evil, down to being extremely speedrunner-friendly. You might dig it if you're able to suspend your disbelief.

Lol, I'm not sure I'd really seen anything about that one before. It sounds like it probably goes a bit outside of what I like most gameplay-wise, but I'll check it out on youtube at the very least.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

GoG is doing a big retro games sale rn which, among other things, features Clive Barker's Undying at $1.50. it's p good and the price is a steal

if you get it, make sure to read the little lore book it comes with that has all the family members' diaries. one of the best lore supplements in any game I've played

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 17, 2023

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Alice had one of those booklets too. I poured over both of them as a kid over and over lol

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
RE4 update: just got done fighting 2 giants. Dropped one of them in a lava pit, fought the other one in honorable single combat so I could loot his corpse afterwards.

Haven't gotten to the alleged bad bits yet

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Wanderer posted:

I saw a YouTuber play the demo of it a while back and I absolutely loved how some enemies seemed to have literal minutes-long monologues about topics like responsibility and other Sesame Street stuff.

I also like mechanics where enemies never truly stay dead unless you burn a rare resource

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Instant Grat posted:

RE4 update: just got done fighting 2 giants. Dropped one of them in a lava pit, fought the other one in honorable single combat so I could loot his corpse afterwards.

I couldn't get them in the lava and ended up killing both of them before I could get them into position. Whoops!

Also, there are bad bits?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The island isn't quite as good as the early village and castle imo, but it never comes close to 'bad' imo, just slightly less good

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Instant Grat posted:

Did you go over and check the lava pit afterwards?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Sakurazuka posted:

Did you go over and check the lava pit afterwards?

Nope, lol

Sounds like there would've been 15,000 pesetas waiting for me if I had?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

CharlestonJew posted:

I saw a YouTuber play the demo of it a while back and I absolutely loved how some enemies seemed to have literal minutes-long monologues about topics like responsibility and other Sesame Street stuff.

Yeah, something I appreciate about the final product on MFN is that most of the puppets stand around talking about kids'-show stuff until you interrupt them somehow. Some of those monologues go in weird directions, but only a couple actually go dark. The rest are entirely typical children's-entertainment spiels, or dumb jokes aimed at the same audience.

There's a delicate balance at work in MFN that I feel like you have to be a big horror fan to catch. It's not the obvious sort of story where these puppet people have been corrupted by some outside presence, or some Meet the Feebles thing where the puppets were always hosed up. Instead, it's more about abandonment, loss, and cynicism packaged as entertainment.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

Instant Grat posted:

Nope, lol

if you go to it right after you dunk a gigante, it’ll rear back up and take you with it into the lava.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I go back and forth over that or shooting at the water from the dock being my favorite little thing in the game.

e: or maybe Luis getting mad and one-shotting you if you friendly fire him enough in the cabin siege :v:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Instant Grat posted:

Nope, lol

Yup, it's the ol' five finger discount

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

if you go to it right after you dunk a gigante, it’ll rear back up and take you with it into the lava.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I go back and forth over that or shooting at the water from the dock being my favorite little thing in the game.

e: or maybe Luis getting mad and one-shotting you if you friendly fire him enough in the cabin siege :v:

god, this game owns

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

:allears: I had no idea that was a thing. I knew about the dock and the Gigante but because lol my dumbass died doing both by accident back in the day but the spoilered one is delightful

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

joylessdivision posted:

:allears: I had no idea that was a thing. I knew about the dock and the Gigante but because lol my dumbass died doing both by accident back in the day but the spoilered one is delightful

Lol yeah, I've been playing the game frequently almost since it came out and I only found that out this past year. A real :aaaaa: moment 15 years in.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I like that Silent Hill’s cult is based around appropriating indigenous magic which is then appropriated by Kaufman to sell drugs to tourists.

Dead Space 2 is real good but the moment I opened the shop and was treated with literal 2 dozen “free” DLC late game equipment I was reminded just how loving exhausting EA was a decade ago.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Buck Wildman posted:

GoG is doing a big retro games sale rn which, among other things, features Clive Barker's Undying at $1.50. it's p good and the price is a steal

if you get it, make sure to read the little lore book it comes with that has all the family members' diaries. one of the best lore supplements in any game I've played

Blood Omen is 96 cents, the best Zelda game starring a vampire that vortexes blood in his mouth and has a putrefying flesh spell. VAE VICTIS!!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

al-azad posted:

Blood Omen is 96 cents, the best Zelda game starring a vampire that vortexes blood in his mouth and has a putrefying flesh spell. VAE VICTIS!!

I loved Blood Omen so much. A game where you play as a vampire, and not a good guy vampire? Blew my mind in my youth. I probably would have played it a bunch more but then Symphony of the Night came out a few months later and it blew BO away with vampire gameplay.

Sadly I never got into Soul Reaver, and Blood Omen 2 was disappointing.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Any recommendations/warnings for https://store.steampowered.com/app/1959350/Homebody/? Timeloop slasher teenage thing, sounds like it's good but have some writing and/or pacing issues.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Any recommendations/warnings for https://store.steampowered.com/app/1959350/Homebody/? Timeloop slasher teenage thing, sounds like it's good but have some writing and/or pacing issues.

It's deftly written and has some clever moments, particularly as you move further into the game.

However, its puzzle sensibilities have a lot more in common with '90s CD-ROM games than anything else, and once the game hits the road, you have very limited windows of time to mess with anything. Imagine Myst, but you only had 3 minutes to reach a given puzzle and mess with it before somebody came up to shank you in the neck. It can be annoying.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Playing My Friendly Neighborhood, it's a good idea but god is the combat awful. It's going after Resident Evil style gameplay but the thing about RE is that most of the time enemies could be dodged around in order to get by without having to spend resources on them. In MFN half the time the puppets are standing in the center of the one path you're supposed to be taking with nowhere to kite them, and tape is rare enough that you have to fight them over and over when you go through areas. There's spots when I've just been exploiting doors in narrow halls where I bounce in and out of doors to reset enemy positioning in the hallway to move them out of my way which is very gamey.

It wouldn't be so bad if they were more Bioshocky in their melee combat, where it was fairly clear what "melee" range was and enemies couldn't rush grab you from a couple arm lengths away.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

One of the things I ended up doing with MFN was only taping Norman, because he's by far the tankiest of the standard puppets. Most of the rest can be knocked down with as few as two to four "pistol" rounds, but Norman routinely soaks up 6+ before he drops.

You can also find the cheat tape for Mega Wrench very easily in the first area. There's no particular penalty for using it and it turns any hit from the wrench into a one-touch kill.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Wanderer posted:

It's deftly written and has some clever moments, particularly as you move further into the game.

However, its puzzle sensibilities have a lot more in common with '90s CD-ROM games than anything else, and once the game hits the road, you have very limited windows of time to mess with anything. Imagine Myst, but you only had 3 minutes to reach a given puzzle and mess with it before somebody came up to shank you in the neck. It can be annoying.

This isn't too heavy on horror elements aside from a neat bad guy but for a less frustrating time loop game, I prefer Elsinore, where you play as Ophelia trying to survive the events of Hamlet. It's got some jank (like how you can start a rumor that Rosencrantz has died while she's standing next to you) but i think it engages with the time loop better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Morpheus posted:

Argue posted:

This isn't too heavy on horror elements aside from a neat bad guy but for a less frustrating time loop game, I prefer Elsinore, where you play as Ophelia trying to survive the events of Hamlet. It's got some jank (like how you can start a rumor that Rosencrantz has died while she's standing next to you) but i think it engages with the time loop better.

[scrambles to add more time loop games to my wishlist]

Need my fix. :stare: