Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mr. Nice! posted:

Awful is essentially page scraping and it has to load the page first. So, yeah, it’s because it has to download all the images first.

It shouldn’t need to load the images to scrape the page, though—images are out-of-band which is why they bounce all over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Corb3t posted:

Does anybody else get the message when they open Awful.app for permission to paste a message? Any way this bug could be fixed? None of my other apps bug me for that anymore, and it happens every time I open Awful.app

It's not a bug. It's just that most other apps stopped automatically checking the pasteboard by default when Apple changed that. You can disable 'Check Clipboard for URL' in the settings tab

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

there's another setting you can change so it just pops up a little message instead of asking for permission. don't remember what it is but i'd do that instead, and I did

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Under settings -> check clipboard for URL.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

do this instead to keep the functionality instead of losing it. these people are trying to hurt you

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

b_d posted:

do this instead to keep the functionality instead of losing it. these people are trying to hurt you

Can't say I've ever been linked to an SA thread outside of Awful and needed to open it in the app

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

101 posted:

Can't say I've ever been linked to an SA thread outside of Awful and needed to open it in the app

Get worse friends

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Grassy Knowles posted:

Get worse friends

this.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
An image loading question I have is this: when I load a post full of images, then decide I want to save one, I long press on it which opens it in a viewer, but it has to load it again here? Just wondering why that is

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Tenkaris posted:

An image loading question I have is this: when I load a post full of images, then decide I want to save one, I long press on it which opens it in a viewer, but it has to load it again here? Just wondering why that is

Same question. Seems weird to have to be online to save an image i already am viewing

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

101 posted:

that’s how I go from web search to Awful browsing!

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

101 posted:

You can’t search in Awful so if you ever wanted to find something that’s not at the top of the forums you can to go to browser and copy the result.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

b_d posted:

I misread the original as saying they got the url handoff message which is different than the paste message. This is the correct solution for the pop up anytime you want to paste.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Corb3t posted:

Does anybody else get the message when they open Awful.app for permission to paste a message? Any way this bug could be fixed? None of my other apps bug me for that anymore, and it happens every time I open Awful.app

Go to Settings > Awful > Paste From Other Apps > Allow.

This only appears after the first time you get asked for paste permissions, but it must be set in Settings.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Hey here are some new App icons to add into the next beta.

Also, humbly requesting toot animation be added to beta please.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

lmao at the set of three there

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Chiming in again to say the frog is my daughter’s favorite thing on my phone.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

spanky the dolphin posted:

Lmao :wtc:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

spanky the dolphin posted:

yes YES

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Glimpse posted:

You can’t search in Awful

Not yet, but soon...

Tenkaris posted:

It's because the posts view has loaded the images in a browser view (and it's in a browser cache), but that image preview screen is native iOS so it's gotta load it again. Running image links from posts through the native swift Nuke image caching thingo is a potential fix for that, but maybe overkill since you're probably only ever previewing a small percentage of all images seen. And I'm not sure if doing that would help with images loading in the webview (it might)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yo the iPad app crashes like every other time I try to post. Not sure if the iPhone one is doing it since I don't use it as much.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
what ancient version of ios are you running and why haven't you updated it yet

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm running iPadOS 16.whatever is current.

EDIT: It crashed trying to edit this post to say I tried editing the previous post to include that info but it crashed and I was annoyed enough to not bother again.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 18, 2023

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Endless Mike posted:

I'm running iPadOS 16.whatever is current.

EDIT: It crashed trying to edit this post to say I tried editing the previous post to include that info but it crashed and I was annoyed enough to not bother again.

That sounds a bit like the below. Is your iPad the same age?

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Latest app, iOS 16.5.1 on the original 12.9 IPad Pro crashes when trying to do any 'active' action on the app (posting, editing posts, voting threads) but only after the app has been open a little while, opening it again after the crash and trying the same action succeeds. May just be the age of the device / memory constraints & background app cache handling, but posting for the record.

Will be tricky to address since there doesn't seem to be a direct cause, but I'll see what's going on in the background while editing/voting/etc. I should finally have some time for app stuff this weekend

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nope, this is an M1 Pro 12.9"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I assume you’ve rebooted?

Reinstall?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I got iPad crashes a lot while posting on a previous beta (haven’t used Awful on it in a while). I submitted the crashes, if anyone has access to the reports…

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I have gotten code 0 and code 1 errors the last ~2 hours.

Uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling fixed it

zokie fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jul 20, 2023

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's rebooted through the urgent updates. I suppose I can try reinstalling.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

edit: issue was with password app disregard

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 19, 2023

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

too late. i've already regarded.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

b_d posted:

too late. i've already regarded.

Well then degard and then disregard

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I miss easily posting pictures a lot :(

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

euphronius posted:

I miss easily posting pictures a lot :(

Throw this on your homepage and call it good.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
So my devices and clients are all up to date, but when I try to post from a preview on my iPad, it crashes.

Which, I get it, my posts suck, but it feels rude

E: works fine on my phone, as you can see

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

FlapYoJacks posted:

Throw this on your homepage and call it good.

Testing this:

Edit: It worked :tipshat:

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

I’m getting a lot of battery drain from the Awful app. Looks like there’s a constantly running background task. Version 6.3 on an iPhone 13 mini.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Urcher posted:

I’m getting a lot of battery drain from the Awful app. Looks like there’s a constantly running background task. Version 6.3 on an iPhone 13 mini.

That’s sounds awful

Maybe disable background processing?

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

So regarding the ipad crashing, I've only ever managed to see one crash. I don't have an iPad, so I need to use a simulator. I've simulated both iPad Pro (12.9") (2nd generation) and iPad Pro (12.9") (6th generation)(16GB). I've made three new posts and edited them ~40 times, with breaks in between to view other threads/make random activity.

I do believe there's an issue since there are multiple reports, it's just annoying to nail down a cause (and then confirm that any change I've made has actually fixed it)

The one time it did crash, it traced back to the spinning progress bar thing MRProgress. Which is an ancient third party library for progress things, so maybe.. but I'll keep testing.

Subjunctive posted:

I got iPad crashes a lot while posting on a previous beta (haven’t used Awful on it in a while). I submitted the crashes, if anyone has access to the reports…

Those crash reports go into App Store Connect, which only pokeyman has access to. And there aren't badges or notifications or anything - you have to go looking for them to see them. When I had a forked build on my own App Store Connect account, spanky would post all sorts of reports and I'd rarely see em.

Urcher posted:

The app doesn't have any background activity, as far as I'm aware. Could you have a look at Settings, Battery, scroll down a bit and select Last 10 days and then Show Activity?

That should show you how much time each app has been "on screen" vs "background".

zokie posted:

I have gotten code 0 and code 1 errors the last ~2 hours.

Uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling fixed it

That's good because I have no idea what those errors are or what you were doing at the time that could have produced them

___

In other news, fileglass - the potential alternative image host that was offering a free application api - has declared they're shutting down and that the service was always doomed to fail from the start. So that's cool. At this point (around 1:45am sunday morning, to give an idea of seriousness) I'm wondering if it's worth spinning up something myself. I've looked at Chevereto and Backblaze B2. And there's a free CSAM checking api, since I'd probably need to consider poo poo like that, unfortunately. There are also a few NSFW image checking Swift libraries that could help with moderating. I don't care to ban nsfw at all, but poo poo should be flagged for moderation checks, probably. Just tired thoughts at this time tho. I still need to reach out to lpix.org... not sure if they could accommodate app uploads. And everyone would need to register there.

In less glum news, here's some Search stuff I started a few weeks ago. There's still more to do (like pagination, UI stuff) but it's pretty promising so far.

https://i.imgur.com/sGdHNHI.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I just assumed this was impossible. Incredible work!