Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

bobtheconqueror posted:

They do such a good job with that creepy weirdo. Looking for him is a great cutscene game.

A more unfortunate Where's Waldo lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

bobtheconqueror posted:

They do such a good job with that creepy weirdo. Looking for him is a great cutscene game.

Eh. I really preferred it when he was an easily missable background joke, and not ... this thing.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

So what's the strat for getting quickly to BLU 80?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Kill

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

So what's the strat for getting quickly to BLU 80?

And if those spots are taken already:

quote:

A good spot we just did in a hour or so was in the Tempest by the main aetheryte. If you go down in the cave there are level 79 mobs that we farmed as a blue group and we all hit 80 if all the other spots are full.

edit: \/ That's probably still the fastest overall but with people rushing to get their leveling done, grouping up may be better right now

iPodschun fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 18, 2023

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Ah ok grouping up instead of the old "have a lv 90 not in party kill mobs you tag"

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Another method is finding the highest density area of mobs that are at your level, rounding them all up and one shotting them with Ram's Voice+Ultravibration, then queueing into a dungeon solo and immediately exiting to reset your cooldowns. Repeat til you level up then find the next level up. Chain bonus adds up pretty quickly in this case.

There is a 100 dungeon a day cap for duty finder, but even with this method its doubtful you'll run into this cap.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hyper Inferno posted:

Another method is finding the highest density area of mobs that are at your level, rounding them all up and one shotting them with Ram's Voice+Ultravibration, then queueing into a dungeon solo and immediately exiting to reset your cooldowns. Repeat til you level up then find the next level up. Chain bonus adds up pretty quickly in this case.

There is a 100 dungeon a day cap for duty finder, but even with this method its doubtful you'll run into this cap.

Huh. I guess it makes sense but I'd never realized there was actually a cap before.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Can't you load into the battle hall for TT to reset your cool downs too, or does it only work with dungeon/trial/etc entry?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://noisypixel.net/how-i-played-final-fantasy-xiv-wrong-400-hours/

If you want to be baffled by human existence, this is an incredible read.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Hyper Inferno posted:

big issue is maps are filled with groups so that's a better strat for later on. Did get all world spells already, now I just need to level up and get the spells for job quests.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

WTF did I just read? :psypop:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mordiceius posted:

You'd think they would have decided to pull the plug at some point during the free trial, but I guess some people are just stubbornly determined to do things the wrongest way possible before declaring they didn't like it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Mordiceius posted:

https://twitter.com/NotABigJerk/status/1570088320813744129?s=20

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Talk about baiting the wrong community then. Just gonna get a thousand message that say 'join my fc and I can teach you and loan you a few million gil and we can have fun together'.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

This is not an incredible read. They never get to a single instance of anything actually funny or weird happening, they just keep saying they're really stupid over and over.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Some words doing some work there. Yes you're "naive" when you don't Google something you know you could and have the answer to.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Mordiceius posted:

I mean, it's a little ridiculous he kept forcing himself to play something he wasn't enjoying, but I kept waiting for this article to get really insane and it never does? Like he says repeatedly the fault is almost all his own, and his prefaces it by saying that he doesn't enjoy mulitplayer games. And for how much you can do in this game solo, there's a lot you can't, so all the people saying you can do the whole thing solo weren't really being truthful.

Like I expected an article titled "How I Played Final Fantasy XIV Completely Wrong & Wasted 400+ Hours" to be how he never upgraded his job stone, or weapons/armor, or something. I was expecting something really crazy or wacky, not "I don't like multiplayer games and MMOs and I forced myself to play an MMO for way too long"

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Macaluso posted:

I mean, it's a little ridiculous he kept forcing himself to play something he wasn't enjoying, but I kept waiting for this article to get really insane and it never does? Like he says repeatedly the fault is almost all his own, and his prefaces it by saying that he doesn't enjoy mulitplayer games. And for how much you can do in this game solo, there's a lot you can't, so all the people saying you can do the whole thing solo weren't really being truthful.

Like I expected an article titled "How I Played Final Fantasy XIV Completely Wrong & Wasted 400+ Hours" to be how he never upgraded his job stone, or weapons/armor, or something. I was expecting something really crazy or wacky, not "I don't like multiplayer games and MMOs and I forced myself to play an MMO for way too long"

They didn't know they could switch jobs up to getting to ShB. They had to blithely ignore so many things

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Macaluso posted:

I was expecting something really crazy or wacky, not "I don't like multiplayer games and MMOs and I forced myself to play an MMO for way too long"

Ah, my apologies if I oversold it as more crazy than it is. I just find it incredible to play a game for 400+ hours and at no point during that question "Am I doing things wrong?"

"I am playing this game and choosing to ignore 90% of what's in it. I wonder why I'm having a bad time."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

JoCat's "I played FF14 wrong for 300 hours" was better.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i was expecting "after realizing that i couldnt solo everything easily i spent 400 hours grinding lvl 50 overworld mobs to try and overlevel the encounters"

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Xerophyte posted:

Eh. I really preferred it when he was an easily missable background joke, and not ... this thing.

Ok yeah having played through the quests now this current set was a bit heavy handed with the weird lil' guy. Typically it's a been a bit more subtle.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I want more details on just how badly that writer played. Did they not know their rotation? Stand in AoEs? What's the deal?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
That was a lot of words that said nothing. They're as good at writing as they are at FFXIV.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mordiceius posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW9-PJT9r7Y

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Ferrinus posted:

I want more details on just how badly that writer played. Did they not know their rotation? Stand in AoEs? What's the deal?

There's no chance at all they even put abilities on their bar beyond what was automatically added as they leveled up

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Games Journo did it better with Cuphead.

That's a lot of words for a rage bait article. Dull, generic forced tone, no sense of humor, some fake takes not worthy of the worst city shout troll(ARR good/Expac stories meh.) It is funny that game devs always have to be aware of and (consider) designing their games around these kinds of people, or at least honest "this is my first video game" players. The obstinate morons just generally bounce off the game instead of spending 400+ hours refusing to use even an ounce of curiosity or experimentation.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

oh, oh no

oh my

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I don't think it's rage bait because he's fully aware of and almost apologetic about how badly he approached it. I just really have no idea why he wrote the article lol. It's incredibly bizarre. Though I suppose the same could be said about why he even played the game for 400 hours to begin with

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I'm wondering how he managed to make it past It's Probably Pirates without realizing that you DO have to play with others.

He says this all happened in 2020, so there wasn't a Duty Support for Sastasha, as that didn't exist until Patch 6.1 in April of 2022.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Kheldarn posted:

I'm wondering how he managed to make it past It's Probably Pirates without realizing that you DO have to play with others.

He says this all happened in 2020, so there wasn't a Duty Support for Sastasha, as that didn't exist until Patch 6.1 in April of 2022.

He doesn't explicitly say it, but given how he talks about the exp boost, it sounds like he was just massively overleveled for like, every dungeon. Something that carried him until Shadowbringers.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

TheWorldsaStage posted:

They didn't know they could switch jobs up to getting to ShB. They had to blithely ignore so many things

It's what being obsessed with "only playing solo" does to someone, a stubborn refusal to ever ask others how to do things.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Arzaac posted:

He doesn't explicitly say it, but given how he talks about the exp boost, it sounds like he was just massively overleveled for like, every dungeon. Something that carried him until Shadowbringers.
you get synced for anything that matters

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Ah, you can't unsync dungeons for first time completions? I've never tried.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

for dungeons i guess you could level up and buy crafted gear off the mb but all the single player duties ilvl sync too

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

quote:

"The initial reason FFXIV became so terrible for me was that I was too weak-minded in the face of the impossibly high standards its existence comprises."

impossibly high standards

i feel bad for making fun of the guy but man you cannot get any more hand-holdy for an MMO than ffxiv. the guy just refused to hold out his hand

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Arzaac posted:

Ah, you can't unsync dungeons for first time completions? I've never tried.

yeah you can

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Arzaac posted:

Sure, but that doesn't change the fact until recently, you HAD to team with other players. The ONLY way he could get to the end of 5.0 was to run Sastasha with 3 other players. If he wasn't smart enough to figure out how to change Jobs, I don't think he was smart enough to figure out how to run a dungeon unsynched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

He states that pubs were ticked off about how bad he was and that he was too undergeared for even Trusts so. Guess he did run DF and make some rando’s 30 minutes miserable.

But also that whole article is complete outrage bait.