Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
Yeah, Valve's verification is pretty good, but you can't beat a massively crowd sourced community resource like that. Tons of my library that's marked "Playable" or "Unsupported" by Valve is Gold or even Platinum on ProtonDB and works beautifully with minimal (if any) tinkering. Plus the posts on the game's ProtonDb page will offer plenty of config tips to maximize the game's performance, fps stability or battery life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

For config tips, there’s also a DeckSettings plugin, but I think it’s broken at the moment.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Hammer Bro. posted:

Neat. D:OS2 was a banger.

Any idea if some form of local co-op will exist (with just the one copy)?

Yes, it has split screen even on pc

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Hammer Bro. posted:

Yes. At least the console version has local split screen

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Raylax posted:

Yeah, Valve's verification is pretty good, but you can't beat a massively crowd sourced community resource like that. Tons of my library that's marked "Playable" or "Unsupported" by Valve is Gold or even Platinum on ProtonDB and works beautifully with minimal (if any) tinkering. Plus the posts on the game's ProtonDb page will offer plenty of config tips to maximize the game's performance, fps stability or battery life.

Yeah many games just need a specific version of proton and protondb will tell you which to set it to.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Raylax posted:

It's still technically a potential issue but oled tech's improved significantly over the last few years and it's only likely to cause permanent burn-in if you're literally playing the same game for months on end (I'm not, I basically don't play any online/multiplayer stuff and I'll occasionally get into a big RPG, like maybe once a year, for a few weeks to a month). Someone stress tested the switch oled with a static Zelda screenshot on max brightness displayed for nearly 3600 hours before even faint burn-in become apparent.

Modern oled TVs have lots of preventative functions (like subtly moving the entire screen around by a handful of pixels periodically, and detecting/dimming bright static areas like HUD elements and channel idents) and "cleaning" routines, and regular TV stuff like dimming or turning off the display if its been on a static picture for a long time (I think all the consoles have an option to do this too if they've been idle for a while). It's not really much of an issue any more unless you're at an extreme edge-case use, like you just play one game competitively for several hours every day.

Switch's OLED screen's brightness is around 300 nits on max
Average OLED TV is around 800 nits on average,
High end OLED TVs are doing 1600 - 2000 nits

the shifting picture is just kinda smudging the burn out making it more spread out
the "cleaning" routines dim the rest of the pixels to compensate for the more used ones

The burn out is a physical feature of the LEDs being used up. No way around that. Also how noticable the burn in will be is dependent on the color of the subpixel being used up compared to the image being displayed.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Vic posted:

Switch's OLED screen's brightness is around 300 nits on max
Average OLED TV is around 800 nits on average,
High end OLED TVs are doing 1600 - 2000 nits

the shifting picture is just kinda smudging the burn out making it more spread out
the "cleaning" routines dim the rest of the pixels to compensate for the more used ones

The burn out is a physical feature of the LEDs being used up. No way around that. Also how noticable the burn in will be is dependent on the color of the subpixel being used up compared to the image being displayed.

Apparently the Deck is about 440 nits

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

tater_salad posted:

I just play games on it. I'm a sicko

Mods?

Just finished up the Pikmin 1 Switch Port and PS2 Ico on the Deck, gently caress I love this thing. Hoping Pikmin 4 will run well.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/carygolomb/status/1681414418394128384?s=46&t=DvvqeOcggle6VW8Wu5D9WA

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Why does he need a 48" monitor?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Why not?

I have a 48", but it's super ultrawide so it's basically to 24"s next to each other.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Can't believe you're asking that in this, a Valve thread

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

Why does he need a 48" monitor?

I’ll say the 48 is probably too large but I have the 42 and it’s fantastic as a Pc monitor.

Also he has a 48 because they didn’t make a 42 till this year with the c2.

I got my 42 oled c2 for $600 and it’s one of the legit best monitors I’ve owned.

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Just got my Deck in today. 0 games played and I've been busy trying to figure out how to load roms and emulators to it with Emudeck. Am I doing this right?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

JSmithOTI posted:

Just got my Deck in today. 0 games played and I've been busy trying to figure out how to load roms and emulators to it with Emudeck. Am I doing this right?

You should use at least 15 hours before playing to break the system in by installing a bunch of scripts that don't work quite how you want. It helps you appreciate how good the OOTB experience really is!

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Hammer Bro. posted:

Yep it's getting the DOS2 treatment. You can do local split screen on the PC and on PS5 and you can mix local split screen and online multiplayer. I'm willing to bet it's got cross platform multiplayer too, but I'm not sure if that's been confirmed yet.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

JSmithOTI posted:

Am I doing this right?
Nah you need to spend 100 hours fiddling with your Steam Input and Performance profiles before playing anything.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

JSmithOTI posted:

Am I doing this right?

No, no, no, you need to watch at least 15 videos from people who think that the ROG Ally is the better portable, even though the Deck shits all over it at low voltages and is clearly the better engineered tech.

Avicus
Aug 31, 2007
Gentleman Bastard
Grimey Drawer

JSmithOTI posted:

Am I doing this right?

Before anything else, sniff that wonderful vent smell. It doesn't last forever.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
That new vent smell.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Raylax posted:

I see some folk around getting really angry and bent out of shape about Valve's certification.

Welcome to the internet I guess but still.. it's always seemed silly to me. Valve's process is what it is - it's a reasonable but not infallible starting point if you want a quick overview of what sort of poo poo runs and what doesn't. To be honest, I've always taken the view that it's just good to see them actively support and push the Deck by putting it front and centre right across the store, including something on compatibility across game pages.

With a product like the Deck though and the audience it attracts, the concept of what "works" and to what extent is going to be variable. There's Verified games that have ran unacceptably to me and Unsupported games that have been 100% spot on. As long as you're prepared to do 30 seconds of research on a known website and maybe Reddit at a push, I don't see the point of getting cross with Valve about their certification labelling.

The amount of stuff that JUST WORKS on Deck, or works with 5 minutes of tinkering, continues to be astounding.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Avicus posted:

Before anything else, sniff that wonderful vent smell. It doesn't last forever.

Jfc I was playing my deck while watching a movie and I smelled it and said to myself

"It has changed"

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

It's not the OLED burn in I'm worried about. It's the vent smell taper...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

what oled

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

homeless snail posted:

Can't believe you're asking that in this, a Valve thread

Blessed

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

figurative oled

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cafe OLED

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Annath posted:

What about Eternal? I'm going to play through both at some point, and my PC can play both easily, but being able to pick up and play between both would be great.

I played through the entire campaign of Doom Eternal + All DLC. Great experience on the Deck.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Momomo posted:

I still can't remember any face buttons that aren't the PlayStation. I can remember A and B, but I will never remember which is X and which is Y.

LB/LT trips me up every single time. If I had the option to permanently make them L1 and L2, I would.

yuuuup

I have Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War but I play in the Lament Nintendo Configuration so forget that noise

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I panic if enemies get behind me in controller FPS. Aim assist, gyro and trackpads make it a bit better. Should commit some time to learning stick flick I guess.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
I love mouse aiming for FPS's but I've never quite felt I've entirely got the hang of keyboard controls. Keeping my fingers centered on WASD or finding my way back there when there's another half-dozen buttons around it to press just never clicked, I always end up having to look down or mashing out a dozen wrong inputs as soon as things get heated, so in practice I much prefer the far less hassle of playing with a gamepad. Just want Microsoft to put gyro in the next one.

I'm honestly surprised there's never been (at least successfully) a "left-hand controller" that pairs with your mouse and replaces the keyboard for gaming. Essentially just one VR controller so you can mouse with your right hand and have analogue stick movement and a few buttons/triggers on your left.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Raylax posted:

I love mouse aiming for FPS's but I've never quite felt I've entirely got the hang of keyboard controls. Keeping my fingers centered on WASD or finding my way back there when there's another half-dozen buttons around it to press just never clicked, I always end up having to look down or mashing out a dozen wrong inputs as soon as things get heated, so in practice I much prefer the far less hassle of playing with a gamepad. Just want Microsoft to put gyro in the next one.

I'm honestly surprised there's never been (at least successfully) a "left-hand controller" that pairs with your mouse and replaces the keyboard for gaming. Essentially just one VR controller so you can mouse with your right hand and have analogue stick movement and a few buttons/triggers on your left.

https://www.razer.com/shop/keyboards/gaming-keypads

Few other ones here

https://www.howtogeek.com/336754/pc-gamers-give-left-handed-gamepads-a-try/

I might pick one of these up someday as well since it’s just nice to not deal with the full keyboard.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Bumhead posted:

I see some folk around getting really angry and bent out of shape about Valve's certification.

Welcome to the internet I guess but still.. it's always seemed silly to me. Valve's process is what it is - it's a reasonable but not infallible starting point if you want a quick overview of what sort of poo poo runs and what doesn't. To be honest, I've always taken the view that it's just good to see them actively support and push the Deck by putting it front and centre right across the store, including something on compatibility across game pages.

With a product like the Deck though and the audience it attracts, the concept of what "works" and to what extent is going to be variable. There's Verified games that have ran unacceptably to me and Unsupported games that have been 100% spot on. As long as you're prepared to do 30 seconds of research on a known website and maybe Reddit at a push, I don't see the point of getting cross with Valve about their certification labelling.

The amount of stuff that JUST WORKS on Deck, or works with 5 minutes of tinkering, continues to be astounding.

At the very least, the valve verification badge has lead to developers actively fixing bugs and comparability issues with their games and proton. We’re getting about as close to a first class experience as one could possibly expect under the circumstances.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I think of the Verified badges as "how seamless is the handheld experience?" and ProtonDB's rating as "how does it perform/run?"

Avicus
Aug 31, 2007
Gentleman Bastard
Grimey Drawer
Shadow of War on the deck is like orc pokemon. It's very hard to put down.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Can I skip to shadow of war without playing shadows of Mordor first?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Avicus posted:

Shadow of War on the deck is like orc pokemon. It's very hard to put down.

Porcémon

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Booted my brand new deck 5 minutes ago and dudes, the vent smell lives up to the hype

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1681715502379581440?s=46&t=N7n6PWOfayjk6ZIVC2eaDw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Yes. At least the console version has local split screen

How does it work? Does each player get to make their own PC?