Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

PurpleXVI posted:

What the gently caress? That loving outlet is killing me here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

No kid will hang off of or climb that outlet, no sir.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

That may actually comply with NEC. Wiremold is covered by NEC article 386 and 386.30 does not specify a distance between supports. Just says follow installation guides. So if the manufacturer got that ETL listed for that support spacing, it's good to go, technically.

Still looks wack though, and I wouldn't want it, because yeah all sorts of sticky humans and objects are going to hang off of it.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm betting that outlet only works when the lights are on.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

That may actually comply with NEC. Wiremold is covered by NEC article 386 and 386.30 does not specify a distance between supports. Just says follow installation guides. So if the manufacturer got that ETL listed for that support spacing, it's good to go, technically.

Still looks wack though, and I wouldn't want it, because yeah all sorts of sticky humans and objects are going to hang off of it.

Whether or not it complies with NEC, I bet any inspector worth their salt would look at it and say no way.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Wiremold is designed to be wall mounted. No way that free standing like that is supported. That's the domain of actual conduit.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

The fridge door will only open 80 degrees. Your killin me smalls.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Whether or not it complies with NEC, I bet any inspector worth their salt would look at it and say no way.

I figured it was thrown in that way because an inspector told them they were required to have an outlet on the island, although I guess that doesn't negate what you're saying

devicenull posted:

I'm betting that outlet only works when the lights are on.

Somehow it only works when the lights are off

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
The lights only work when something is plugged into the outlet.

It seems like a very long counter with no appliance or sink. Some kind of work triangle from hell.

Condimentalist
Jun 13, 2007

Condimentalist fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Apr 14, 2024

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Harry_Potato posted:

They just need to recess a hotel pan into the wall.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Harry_Potato posted:

My freezer door is like this, it's the worst

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
lmao there's no way that was looked at by an inspector/permitted, that screams previous owner fuckery to me, and yeah i'm on board with it being run off the light

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The entire thing is awful. I hate that so much. At least you know from a distance that nothing was done right.

I was at a friend's house who wasn't happy with that quality of the backsplash, some of the tiles aren't flat and the undercabinet lighting casts a shadow highlighting their defect. Personally I prefer my undercabinet lighting mounted as far forward as possible to avoid the wash effect on the wall. I think any shadow on my workspace is counteracted by them being long, and you can't see them as readily thanks to geometry. I held off sharing all of those opinions when I noticed they looked to be standard plug in lights that her contractor routed the wired through a hole in the wall to who knows where, the switch was pretty far away for my assumed length of the cords.

By comparison to the shared kitchen above, her kitchen looks like the Taj Mahal.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Cops will literally put their foot in the door, and now you can’t close it without committing “assault on an officer”.

They’d probably just open the screen door if you had one though.

Screen doors are almost ubiquitous here in Australia and most of them lock from the inside.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love my screen door. Open up all the back windows, open the front door, get an amazing cross breeze going once outside is cooler than inside. That's living!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Guy Axlerod posted:

The lights only work when something is plugged into the outlet.

It seems like a very long counter with no appliance or sink. Some kind of work triangle from hell.

Bermuda Work Triangle

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Senor Tron posted:

Screen doors are almost ubiquitous here in Australia and most of them lock from the inside.

American screen doors lock too.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Blue Footed Booby posted:

next thing you're going to tell me is both countries have electricity and frankly i'm sick of the nonsense this thread is producing

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Blue Footed Booby posted:

A lock on a screen door doesn't seem like a particularly useful feature.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Deteriorata posted:

screen doors come in many different types and qualities.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

Locks are to keep honest people honest.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

My front door is like 40% glass. I still lock it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Some people have a hard time grasping there being a very large difference between someone opening an unlocked door, either intentionally or unintentionally, and someone using force to damage and break into your house.

sarujin_nz
May 1, 2006

`Nemesis posted:

screen doors come in many different types and qualities.

Australian screen doors also are more of a security door. A mixture of flyscreen and a heavier frame over it. Generally the lock braces them at 3 points as well, bottom, mid and top.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Baronjutter posted:

I love my screen door. Open up all the back windows, open the front door, get an amazing cross breeze going once outside is cooler than inside. That's living!

When I was visiting my aunt in Poland, she refused to open more than one window in the entire two story house. I open a second window to get a breeze? She'd close the first one.

I don't remember if she has A/C. I don't think so.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Uthor posted:

When I was visiting my aunt in Poland, she refused to open more than one window in the entire two story house. I open a second window to get a breeze? She'd close the first one.

yeah, a lot of my eastern/central european family is nuts about drafts. Doesn't matter if it's loving 35 degrees and the roads are melting, if you let any sort of air flow near your body YOU WILL GET SICK. You'll catch a cold! No, no drafts!

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

It’s the gift that keeps on giving. It looks like the utility sink (or whatever it is) in the next room sticks out past the doorway. I suppose it could be a trick of the camera angle, but with all the other stupidity, I doubt it.

sarujin_nz posted:

Australian screen doors also are more of a security door. A mixture of flyscreen and a heavier frame over it. Generally the lock braces them at 3 points as well, bottom, mid and top.

Hearing stories about all the crazy, deadly, fauna in Australia, I would want extra layers of security too. If for no other reason than more time to run screaming out the back of the house.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

sarujin_nz posted:

Don't they have extra armor to protect against spider and emu assaults?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Having never seen a single screen/storm door latch that actually latches the door after a couple years of use, I just assumed the lock is there to make sure it stays shut when you want it to.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
the existence of screen doors that are not flimsy pieces of poo poo should not be any sort of revelation to anyone who cares about construction quality :shrug:

you can get as nice and/or secure of a screen door as you like, from Home Depot or Lowe's even, but i guess if your only experience is the garbage your landlord installed?

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

So you're saying it should be a pac-pole then?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

`Nemesis posted:

the existence of screen doors that are not flimsy pieces of poo poo should not be any sort of revelation to anyone who cares about construction quality :shrug:

you can get as nice and/or secure of a screen door as you like, from Home Depot or Lowe's even, but i guess if your only experience is the garbage your landlord installed?

I want a screen door that is secure against CBRN threats.

lol got ’em

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Xerol posted:

Having never seen a single screen/storm door latch that actually latches the door after a couple years of use, I just assumed the lock is there to make sure it stays shut when you want it to.

This, yeah. We lock our screen door because the latch has been broken for a few years. I could fix it but :effort:.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Saw this in the wild today, a wall mount half pan. You could fit those really big door handles in this bad boy.

It's for dryer ducts, there's a hole in the top. It's even got a UL 1-hr fire rating when installed correctly.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Deteriorata posted:

This is a fairly typical Australian screen door, lazily grabbed from Google images:

You sometimes find the older mesh-only lovely screen doors with a worthless plastic "latch" that has been broken since 5 minutes after it was installed 50 years ago, but those are pretty rare these days (especially on front doors).

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Uthor posted:

She just remembers what happened to her brother's submarine.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Uthor posted:

She's just a traditionalist, it's in the Bible that when god opens a door he shuts a window.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

GotLag posted:

This is a fairly typical Australian screen door, lazily grabbed from Google images:

You sometimes find the older mesh-only lovely screen doors with a worthless plastic "latch" that has been broken since 5 minutes after it was installed 50 years ago, but those are pretty rare these days (especially on front doors).

I never see new screen doors (in Vancouver), this is by far the nicest one I've ever seen. Usually they're old and falling off or banging around in the wind at a very old home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

GotLag posted:

I was right. Spider and Emu armor.