Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Looking at the videos at least one of those autoloaders puts shell and charge into the barrel separately so I guess you could do that if you really wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Not a tanker, but I think shell and charge being separate became standard fairly early in the cold war. Nonetheless, it is an absurd thing to claim, but you still hear these "stories". They are always fun to hear, but in reality the only thing I've ever heard that sounds credible from all sides is complaints about the AC never being up to the job.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

spectralent posted:

Unrelatedly, five-ish years ago I remember I found a Chain of Command expansion which covered sci fi troops (most likely an ersatz 40k) - would anyone happen to have it? I'm coming up blanks on my hunt. Not strictly on topic, I know, but I think anyone who plays Chain of Command is going to be on this thread.
I've heard 40K CoC discussed on the Virtual Lard discord. I'll see what I can dig up. In the mean time, there's Ioan Davies-John's Horus Heresy CoC mod:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1TPRXtjiBmciM7L425wZhZzLJ5Mv2y_jO

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
There's also a facebook group (ugh, I know) that has a pretty active playtest scene.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/591096508375194/

vvvvv I mean same, various gaming Groups and Marketplace are all I use that site for, though the site keep making it increasingly annoying to use even those.

Springfield Fatts fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 18, 2023

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I've found facebook weirdly essential for keeping involved in wargames stuff - I don't know what this says about those communities, but...

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I only use Facebook to sell my art and organize playing wargames, that is it. I so wish I could be rid of it, but it is where both things I sink my spare time into are best serviced.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

spectralent posted:

Unrelatedly, five-ish years ago I remember I found a Chain of Command expansion which covered sci fi troops (most likely an ersatz 40k) - would anyone happen to have it? I'm coming up blanks on my hunt. Not strictly on topic, I know, but I think anyone who plays Chain of Command is going to be on this thread.

https://adventuresinscifi.blogspot.com/2019/12/40k-variant-for-chain-of-command.html

spectralent posted:

I've found facebook weirdly essential for keeping involved in wargames stuff - I don't know what this says about those communities, but...

Walled gardens for every loving game is actually exhausting and the worst. Trying to work out if a game is still at all supported or being updated/provided FAQs or just been infiltratred with spam bots posting garbage.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Virtual Russian posted:

Not a tanker, but I think shell and charge being separate became standard fairly early in the cold war.

Depends. US tanks still have propellant and projectile together.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Wasn't there a historical games sculptor who blew their arm off firing a cannon?

Edit: It was one of the Perry Brothers, who did Warhammer Historical illustrations and sculpting. They lost part of their right arm in a re-enactment of the Battle of Crecy.

IncredibleIgloo fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 19, 2023

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Wasn't there a historical games sculptor who blew their arm off firing a cannon?

Yep! One of the Perry brothers.

But that was a Napoleonic cannon, not a much more modern autoloading tank.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Count Thrashula posted:

I often see "if you use 28mm, be prepared to have a fuckoff huge table" in reviews, which got me thinking... I'm working on some 28mm Napoleonics, against my better judgement, are there any good rulesets I can use that will fit a good game in a 6x4 table? Non-skirmish, that is.

I’ll be honest with you and say that you can’t fit all that many 28mm battalions on a 6x4 table and still have meaningful room for movement. You can play ”large skirmish” like sharp practice or really small games of battle games. But yeah you’ll quickly feel limited by space, even if you run small 24 man battalions.

spectralent posted:

I consider facebook a combined wargaming community app and a way to send messages to my parents. That’s it, and it works for that better than the alternatives (reddit, instagram etc)

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 19, 2023

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

lilljonas posted:

I’ll be honest with you and say that you can’t fit all that many 28mm battalions on a 6x4 table and still have meaningful room for movement. You can play ”large skirmish” like sharp practice or really small games of battle games. But yeah you’ll quickly feel limited by space, even if you run small 24 man battalions.

I consider facebook a combined wargaming community app and a way to send messages to my parents. That’s it, and it works for that better than the alternatives (reddit, instagram etc)

And once again 6mm wins out...

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

spectralent posted:

lol yeah it's so weird. i'm part of like 5 or 6 and it's basically the only reason i use fb

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

And once again 6mm wins out...

Yeah there’s pretty much only one reason to play napoleonics in 28mm, and that is the spectacle.

That said, the napoleonic spectacle is on point

He said, as his 500+ painted 28mm french and allied are barely enough for a small sized battle game. Me and my prime nappy club mate have a goal to paint a few battalions per year, and then be really set up for some good games when we are in our 50’s, a decade from now. That’s the insanity of 28mm nappy. It’s so good though, in a mad way.

E: it really is the crystal meth of historicals

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 19, 2023

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol yeah it's so weird. i'm part of like 5 or 6 and it's basically the only reason i use fb

A lot of olds are historical gamers and they famously don't want to learn other platforms. I'm thankful that every game has a Facebook group and not, say, a bespoke Peter Pig-rear end website.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Consimworld makes Peter Pig look like web 2.0

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Consimworld makes Peter Pig look like web 2.0

I think you might have that reversed, consimworld looks old, but seems functional and like it was updated in at least the last decade. Peter Pig continues to be visually grating at best, still looks like it is 1998.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

It's hard to think of anything worse than theminiaturespage.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Cessna posted:

Gentlemen.... behold!
https://irregularminiatures.co.uk/

I especially like the use of white, black and blue text on two differently coloured backgrounds.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Edit: It was one of the Perry Brothers, who did Warhammer Historical illustrations and sculpting. They lost part of their right arm in a re-enactment of the Battle of Crecy.

Mangled Michael and All-Together Alan is how they used to introduce themselves.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Mangled Michael and All-Together Alan is how they used to introduce themselves.

Oooh, I like that they have a sense of humor about it.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Irregular are also the proud owners of a miniatures range also stuck in the 90s. There's some impressively Just A Lump Of Pewter models in their range.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

spectralent posted:

Irregular are also the proud owners of a miniatures range also stuck in the 90s. There's some impressively Just A Lump Of Pewter models in their range.

irregular are probably some of the worst models i ve ever seen. theres some decent stuff but it ranges from meh to absolutely abysmal

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

It's genuinely insane to me that they're still in business but like, Kerr and King aren't.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I bought from irregular once, Spanish and French Italian Wars. They weren't horrible once painted, but were rather irregular, can't say they didn't warn me. I tossed them when I moved a couple months back. They are the only minis I've ever thrown away, I couldn't give them away.

The sculpts are so messy and lumpy I needed to give them a black wash before sorting them as I just couldn't tell what anything was suppossed to be.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I don't actually know anything about the business side of this hobby so perhaps I'm wrong, but I always kind of figured, outside of a handful of particularly big brands like Perry and Victrix, the people creating these models/owning most hobby stores are basically doing it at a loss through passion and just happen to have money/income from something else. So some poo poo brands can still keep pumping the models out even if nobody buys them.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Koramei posted:

I don't actually know anything about the business side of this hobby so perhaps I'm wrong, but I always kind of figured, outside of a handful of particularly big brands like Perry and Victrix, the people creating these models/owning most hobby stores are basically doing it at a loss through passion and just happen to have money/income from something else. So some poo poo brands can still keep pumping the models out even if nobody buys them.

Making the molds, especially if you don’t sculpt yourself and you’re paying a sculptor, is the expensive part. Once you have that it is not too difficult to just set your prices higher than what you pay for your machinery, rent, raw materials, electricity etc and basically be at least afloat perpetually. Especially if you have an old range with customers who wants to keep buying to maintain a coherent army look - that’s why minifigs still exists.

I am honestly baffled when I see amazing ministure brands go out of business, as you can at least keep puttering away on a very very small budget if you don’t let your costs balloon for weird/stupid reasons.

Now owning a hobby store is another beast entirely.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 19, 2023

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Siocast might let some low volume producers do more plastic lines, so that might be neat to see. I would have to imagine a lot of folks are moving into 3d printing and 3d sculpture. Even if you don't sell quite as many STls as you do models you also have less overhead.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Cessna posted:

TheMiniaturesPage's greatest sin is that it barely loads. It's a crapshoot whether or not a link will ever open for me.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

irregular are probably some of the worst models i ve ever seen. theres some decent stuff but it ranges from meh to absolutely abysmal

This was a ... I think French Napoleonic line infantry block? Maybe ACW?

I literally have no idea what I'm looking at and I'm only 30% sure I even took a picture of the front.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
it's a set of hoplites that met medusa

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Oooh, I like that they have a sense of humor about it.
The story goes that one day while Micheale was still in hospital they switched clothes and Michael hid in the toilet while Alan got into bed just in time for rounds. When the doctor came into the room he held up his hand and said "look doc! It grew back!"

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Siocast might let some low volume producers do more plastic lines, so that might be neat to see. I would have to imagine a lot of folks are moving into 3d printing and 3d sculpture. Even if you don't sell quite as many STls as you do models you also have less overhead.
The cost of sculpting is the time and skill it costs to get a sculpt made. If you are selling STLs that's a whole thing, but if you're just using that to master your figures then it's basically the same cost in the end.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Count Thrashula posted:

This was a ... I think French Napoleonic line infantry block? Maybe ACW?

I literally have no idea what I'm looking at and I'm only 30% sure I even took a picture of the front.

oof, mine were better than that, but not by much. Wash it in black and see if that helps you identify it at all.

Edit: my partner has identified it as the elephant's foot from Chernobyl.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Lumbermouth posted:

TheMiniaturesPage's greatest sin is that it barely loads. It's a crapshoot whether or not a link will ever open for me.

It's trying to protect you from reading it

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

It's trying to protect you from reading it

lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

after so many delays in my life i'm finally finding time to work on my ecw project again. still need to finish with the coarse flock for the base but i finished this 15 mm regiment of horse. almost have 1 army for pikemans lament done now

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

planning out Norse Gael and Jomsviking models and man there are billions of Viking models and not nearly as many unarmored 2 handed axe guys as you'd like

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

after so many delays in my life i'm finally finding time to work on my ecw project again. still need to finish with the coarse flock for the base but i finished this 15 mm regiment of horse. almost have 1 army for pikemans lament done now

I love these, great job. I've been heroically resisting getting into pike & shot era games, I don't need more games, but those look so good...

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Are these the Turner Miniatures ones? I hope your pikes fare better than my Macedonians I printed last year who snap at just sneezing at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Virtual Russian posted:

I love these, great job. I've been heroically resisting getting into pike & shot era games, I don't need more games, but those look so good...

thank you! that's a great compliment

Springfield Fatts posted:

Are these the Turner Miniatures ones? I hope your pikes fare better than my Macedonians I printed last year who snap at just sneezing at them.

yes they are! the pikes are quite robust actually, but i'm printing at 15 mm, so they're much thicker