Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Rimworld is about keeping a bunch of colonists alive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Manager Hoyden posted:

I'm looking for a game with a lot of emphasis on character builds and a lot of clever compound equipment/skill effects. Basically Diablo but I'm already playing too much Diablo.

I'm addicted to switching up skills and changing out equipment to either trigger a cool combination or just eke out a little more effectiveness. But not another overhead arpg, which is where this type of gameplay lives as far as I can see. Also the Souls games and soulslikes might fall into the description, but again I've played them to death.

*rises from slumber*
"Warfraaaaame"
*crumbles into dust*

idrismakesgames
Nov 4, 2022
Asking for advice, as someone who struggled to complete divinity original sin 1 even though it was great, I was just overwhelmed with the amount of stuff and combos and items etc. etc.

I have been unable to bear the hype for baldurs gate 3. So I’m in for that.

The question is do I play the early access to get used to that choice. Or play divinity original 2 as it’s a classic and I have never played it. And risk burning out before BG3’s main release

I would normally just wait for BG3 but I have a very rare week next week where every evening is my own.

Or do I go rogue and play wrath of the righteous?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Ok. Been mostly out of gaming a long time.

Last game I beat was Soma before returning to gaming, but also enjoyed a bunch of RPG-style games of the time (mostly JRPGs which I dont seem to have the patience for these days) and the Resident Evil series.

I've tried (and built a new PC for) Dead Space, which was fine but didnt capture me deeply and I never finished it. Same thing when I tried the RE2 Remake - captivated me for about 3-4hrs and then kinda lost interest.

I happened upon Diablo 4, which I immensely enjoyed through campaign - and some of the post-game content (up to mid 70s, WT4). That said, the seasonal model isnt really my thing I'm happy to say I've gotten my money's worth. I'll probably return at some point, but I got my time.

I've also enjoyed (but lesser as the metaprogress only keeps me interested so long) Vampire Survivors, Slay the Spire, and Brotato.

What I'm finding I'm liking is:
- Not super twitchy-gameplay, I'm slow and old I guess
- Stats and/or abilities that matter and divergent strategies to explore
- Depth of gameplay that becomes more apparent over time while maybe seeming simple at the surface some have said D4 is shallow, but I've never played anything from the series so it was a new gameplay experience to me
- Ability to play in somewhat truncated sessions (family life entails I sometimes gotta shut it down with little to no notice)

Multiplayer on D4 hit a sweet spot too, as it's very drop-in, drop-out friendly. But is not a strict requirement.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

idrismakesgames posted:

Asking for advice, as someone who struggled to complete divinity original sin 1 even though it was great, I was just overwhelmed with the amount of stuff and combos and items etc. etc.

I have been unable to bear the hype for baldurs gate 3. So I’m in for that.

The question is do I play the early access to get used to that choice. Or play divinity original 2 as it’s a classic and I have never played it. And risk burning out before BG3’s main release

I would normally just wait for BG3 but I have a very rare week next week where every evening is my own.

Or do I go rogue and play wrath of the righteous?

Unless your playthrough of Divinity OS 1 was very recent I'd just go for Original Sin 2. It's way better than the first game and probably is in the top 5 of pretty much every "best RPG of all time" list you can find after it's release.

It seems like the worst that can happen is that you like Original Sin 2 and put so much time in it that you're less excited for Baldurs Gate 3 by the time it comes out, but that doesn't seem like such a big problem to me...

Walker posted:

Stats and/or abilities that matter and divergent strategies to explore

Yeah, let me recommend Troubleshooter again.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Walked posted:

Last game I beat was Soma before returning to gaming, but also enjoyed a bunch of RPG-style games of the time (mostly JRPGs which I dont seem to have the patience for these days) and the Resident Evil series.

I've tried (and built a new PC for) Dead Space, which was fine but didnt capture me deeply and I never finished it. Same thing when I tried the RE2 Remake - captivated me for about 3-4hrs and then kinda lost interest.

I happened upon Diablo 4, which I immensely enjoyed through campaign - and some of the post-game content (up to mid 70s, WT4). That said, the seasonal model isnt really my thing I'm happy to say I've gotten my money's worth. I'll probably return at some point, but I got my time.

I've also enjoyed (but lesser as the metaprogress only keeps me interested so long) Vampire Survivors, Slay the Spire, and Brotato.

- Depth of gameplay that becomes more apparent over time while maybe seeming simple at the surface some have said D4 is shallow, but I've never played anything from the series so it was a new gameplay experience to me
- Ability to play in somewhat truncated sessions (family life entails I sometimes gotta shut it down with little to no notice)

Multiplayer on D4 hit a sweet spot too, as it's very drop-in, drop-out friendly. But is not a strict requirement.

My dude have you played sleeping dogs??

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Walked posted:

The perennial goon favorite Buriedbornes.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Walked posted:

You're describing Siralim Ultimate. It's essentially a monster collecting turn-based dungeon crawler with some absolutely insane team builds you can put together, from a simple standard party to an absurd gimmick group entirely based around, I dunno, poisoning. Fights individually aren't long and you can stop and save whenever.

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.

khy posted:

Here's a tricky one.

I enjoy survival crafting games. I love being stranded with no resources and having to craft my way to victory. Subnautica, 7 Days to Die, etc.

But.

I want to build for other people besides just myself! I got this a bit with 7DTD where I crafted for a whole bunch of people but then I got bored because we all played different times and basically when I was around usually only a couple others were also around and it wasn't very satisfying.

So I was thinking - what about a game where you build for NPCs? I have plenty of fun 'base building' games and they're great (And postapoc base builders like Surviving the Aftermath and Endzone and the like feel close to survival crafting but really aren't), but are there any survival crafting games where you can build a base that other NPCs move into?

The only one that comes to mind is Fallout 4, and that is one of my favorite games, but I've played a LOT of it. I know Terraria lets you build a base that people can move into, but that's also not really survival crafting? I mean kind of but not really?

Is there anything else out there or coming soonish that might fit that bill?

Conan: Exiles

Although NPCs don't exactly 'move into' the base you build for them unless you have a very loose definition of "get battered into unconsciousness, dragged in chains, lashed to a wheel of pain until they're broken and then placed into" your base.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I don't think there's anything like what I'm looking for but I might as well ask.

There's a game called Space Engineers and my favorite part of it was that one stock scenario where you're stuck on a big ship that just crashed into an asteroid, and you're forced to figure out how to covert half of a broken ship into something functional. Very reminiscent of playing Engineer in Space Station 13 but with an added bonus of not having to deal with other people.

I don't quite like the rest of that game, because it's more of a loose assortment of toys instead of a real game, but I really enjoyed the "figure out how this complex system supposed to work, then fix it/re-design it to work with whatever you have available" gameplay bit.

Is there anything similar to that? I know there are things like Car Mechanic Simulator, but I don't like those because you're not interacting with an actual system and also there's nothing actually there to figure out.
I'd be really down for something like...try keeping a space ship functional while it's systems are slowly breaking down kind of game but I don't think that exists.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Jack Trades posted:

I don't think there's anything like what I'm looking for but I might as well ask.

There's a game called Space Engineers and my favorite part of it was that one stock scenario where you're stuck on a big ship that just crashed into an asteroid, and you're forced to figure out how to covert half of a broken ship into something functional. Very reminiscent of playing Engineer in Space Station 13 but with an added bonus of not having to deal with other people.

I don't quite like the rest of that game, because it's more of a loose assortment of toys instead of a real game, but I really enjoyed the "figure out how this complex system supposed to work, then fix it/re-design it to work with whatever you have available" gameplay bit.

Is there anything similar to that? I know there are things like Car Mechanic Simulator, but I don't like those because you're not interacting with an actual system and also there's nothing actually there to figure out.
I'd be really down for something like...try keeping a space ship functional while it's systems are slowly breaking down kind of game but I don't think that exists.

Hardspace: Shipbeaker is similar but also basically the opposite. You're cutting derelict ships apart to discard the pieces for recycling, repurposing or disposal. There are some systems that complicate things that I won't spoil since it's fun to discover, but it's not as simple as Garry's Mod or something.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Magnetic North posted:

Hardspace: Shipbeaker is similar but also basically the opposite. You're cutting derelict ships apart to discard the pieces for recycling, repurposing or disposal. There are some systems that complicate things that I won't spoil since it's fun to discover, but it's not as simple as Garry's Mod or something.

Yeah, I played it but it didn't really live to my expectations. The "figure out how it works" aspect of the game is too simple.
Sure, pressurized sections and generators are fun a couple of missions but those mechanics are few and simple it doesn't quite tickle the right itch.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
"Be the AI of a derelict ship and try to put enough of it back together to finish your mission" is a game concept that I've had kicking around the back of my head for awhile now. It seems like it has legs, but so far as I know nobody's ever really tried to execute on that specific concept.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ilmucche posted:

My dude have you played sleeping dogs??

i love sleeping dogs for the story and world, but as a fellow "old and slow" person the combat can be a bit tricky/twitchy, you really do have to time those counters just right

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023
Any games with intriguing sequence breaking, discovery or secrets, or where you get the vaguely eerie "you're not supposed to be here" vibe?

I'm thinking games like Outer Wilds, Portal, or even Stanley Parable.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

malnourish posted:

Any games with intriguing sequence breaking, discovery or secrets, or where you get the vaguely eerie "you're not supposed to be here" vibe?

Dredge

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

malnourish posted:

Anodyne and its sequel were based entirely around that feeling

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

malnourish posted:

I wouldn't play Fallout 4 for this if you're otherwise uninterested in it, but it does have something with a "you're not supposed to be here" vibe in the Glowing Sea, where you have to explore an inhospitable environment that extends far beyond the edge of the square map that the game has conditioned you to expect.

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

Manager Hoyden posted:

Anodyne and its sequel were based entirely around that feeling

Haven't heard of those, I'll check em out.

Paper Tiger posted:

I wouldn't play Fallout 4 for this if you're otherwise uninterested in it, but it does have something with a "you're not supposed to be here" vibe in the Glowing Sea, where you have to explore an inhospitable environment that extends far beyond the edge of the square map that the game has conditioned you to expect.

You just triggered my favorite memories of that game.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

That sounds a bit like the start of Stardeus (which is about running a broken spaceship that you have to patch together to go forth to establish a human colony somwhere), no idea how good the game is. There are also a couple of scenarios in Frostpunk that work like that where you take a pre-built (terribly made) city that you need to scavenge parts of and rebuild into something functional. The whole concept makes me think of a lot of management games, like maybe Timberborn you could see like that because you're re-engineering the pre-existing landscape.

Cogs? That's a game about having devices that you have to get work but they're also sliding puzzles where you need to move the right bits to the right places.

malnourish posted:

Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist, but that's a funny example.
Please Don't Touch Anything
The Magic Circle

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

malnourish posted:

No Players Online is a really fun little indie about exploring the servers and levels of an abandoned early-00s multiplayer FPS and gets this feeling down well

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Subnautica absolutely nails the This Isn’t A Place For You vibe

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Jack Trades posted:

Genesis Alpha One isn't this, nor is it a very good game IMO, but if you enter a death spiral, it's sorta like this. You assemble a ship based on your needs as you fly it around. To keep the game from being a completely dull grindfest, there are repeated invasions by these little spider aliens, and if they set up shop, you may find yourself crawling under decks resetting power conduits and destroying nests. Recovering from these is frantic and almost fun the first time or two it happens, since entire sections of your ship get cut off from power and life support and it's a dance trying to keep them from falling apart and killing your cloned crew.

e: yes, I have also been wanting a Chief O'Brien simulator

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 19, 2023

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Just blasted through Dave the Diver and drat it was a major masterpiece so I'm just going to recommend it to everyone.

I need more games like this that capture that charming Stardew Valley -like vibe and gameplay loops. I really liked that Dave utilized oxygen instead of a day timer.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jelly posted:

I need more games like this that capture that charming Stardew Valley -like vibe and gameplay loops. I really liked that Dave utilized oxygen instead of a day timer.

Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin
Dragon Quest Builders 2

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Jack Trades posted:

Haven't played it so no idea if it's actually that or if it's any good, but that sounds like the premise of Tin Can.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Walked posted:

Marvel's Midnight Suns

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Any Puzzle Quest-like games out there these days? i.e. games where you do combat or other core game concepts via match-3 or other puzzle games. I know the OG Puzzle Quest is on Steam, and I've played its disappointing sequel too. What else is there?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

malnourish posted:

You have most likely already played it, but The Talos Principal is excellent for this. Zillions of little hidden secrets, some of which let you collect a set of special tokens, while others are just there for fun. Half of the time the way to find them is to abuse the physics model in the game and end up out of bounds, or taking items into places they're not meant to be. This does also let you sequence-break some puzzles.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Any Puzzle Quest-like games out there these days? i.e. games where you do combat or other core game concepts via match-3 or other puzzle games. I know the OG Puzzle Quest is on Steam, and I've played its disappointing sequel too. What else is there?

Not sure if it's any good or not, but Flowstone Saga is due out later this year and seems to be along these lines, except Tetris-inspired rather than match-3. There's a demo available on Steam.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 21, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

cmndstab posted:

Not sure if it's any good or not, but Flowstone Saga is due out later this year and seems to be along these lines, except Tetris-inspired rather than match-3. There's a demo available on Steam.

Oh yeah, I know the Flowstone dev, it's looking pretty good! Definitely something to keep an eye on.

The specific reason I asked, though, is because I'm mooting trying my hand at making a roguelike Puzzle Quest, something where you can get the "full experience" in a relatively short amount of time, and then add procgen to make it more replayable. So I'm curious what other games I should be looking at for inspiration.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh yeah, I know the Flowstone dev, it's looking pretty good! Definitely something to keep an eye on.

The specific reason I asked, though, is because I'm mooting trying my hand at making a roguelike Puzzle Quest, something where you can get the "full experience" in a relatively short amount of time, and then add procgen to make it more replayable. So I'm curious what other games I should be looking at for inspiration.

Gems of War is made by ex Puzzle Quest and is pretty good other than it being having some of the usual mobile game bullshit.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
my understanding of gems of war from my brief time playing it is that it's mostly built around using super strong unit abilities to blow up / color-convert huge swathes of the screen at once so you don't do much actual bejeweled-ing except early on at low levels.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

You Must Build A Boat is a lot of fun. It's a little bit easier to play on a touch screen (originally a phone game, or at least the sequel to a game that was originally a phone game) and it's less forgiving with a mouse, but once you get the hang of it, it's great. Cheap as chips, as well.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

For some reason a remaster of Might and Magic Clash of Heroes just came out and while I have no idea why it was ever made, it's the absolute king of match 3 RPG battles

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Gems of War is made by ex Puzzle Quest and is pretty good other than it being having some of the usual mobile game bullshit.

The real sad thing is that it didn’t have that for a long time. The stuff you could buy was just goodies and extras. But it just kinda progressively got worse until you just straight up couldn’t get certain things unless you bought the banner or whatever they called it. And in turn also reducing rewards or obsoleting them from other established methods of play, so yeah.

I played it pretty regularly for over a year until all that crept in.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Jack Trades posted:

It's not really what you're looking for, but the local multiplayer mobile game "Space Team" is basically cooperative panic-shouting as you all try to keep your ship operational. There's also a great tabletop version, and a VR version that I've not tried.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I haven't actually played it, but isn't that more or less the premise of Ostranauts?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

One game that ate up the better part of my childhood by packaging that mechanic in a MMO format was Puzzle Pirates (or, as I knew it, YOHOHO! Puzzle Pirates!). There's plenty of piratey activities, each played through a different puzzle minigame that would be familiar to any puzzle game junkie. There's match-3-likes, bubble bobble-likes, tetris-likes, etc. Some are played solo, some in multiplayer.

It appears to still be running albeit with a very diminished community. It's been years since I dropped by so I don't know if they've added any industry-standard MMO bullshit, but from what I can tell it's still the same model - there's subscription servers where you pay a flat fee that covers everything but the most premium stuff, and free servers where you can play most of the games but every major item (all of them purely cosmetic except the ships) has a doubloon fee. If you're only there for the puzzles, it should give you several hours of fun for free.

For something single player and a bit more plot-driven, there's Battle Chefs Brigade. It's got some great art and fast-paced puzzles in different flavors, though the main one involves switching between a bit of a sidescrolling platformer and a match-3 as you battle monsters to harvest their ingredients and then cook some insane poo poo with it.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

You're describing Siralim Ultimate. It's essentially a monster collecting turn-based dungeon crawler with some absolutely insane team builds you can put together, from a simple standard party to an absurd gimmick group entirely based around, I dunno, poisoning. Fights individually aren't long and you can stop and save whenever.

Coming back to this. This seems is looking at it, 10hrs played already exactly loving on the nose. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

SexyBlindfold posted:

One game that ate up the better part of my childhood by packaging that mechanic in a MMO format was Puzzle Pirates (or, as I knew it, YOHOHO! Puzzle Pirates!). There's plenty of piratey activities, each played through a different puzzle minigame that would be familiar to any puzzle game junkie. There's match-3-likes, bubble bobble-likes, tetris-likes, etc. Some are played solo, some in multiplayer.

It appears to still be running albeit with a very diminished community. It's been years since I dropped by so I don't know if they've added any industry-standard MMO bullshit, but from what I can tell it's still the same model - there's subscription servers where you pay a flat fee that covers everything but the most premium stuff, and free servers where you can play most of the games but every major item (all of them purely cosmetic except the ships) has a doubloon fee. If you're only there for the puzzles, it should give you several hours of fun for free.

For something single player and a bit more plot-driven, there's Battle Chefs Brigade. It's got some great art and fast-paced puzzles in different flavors, though the main one involves switching between a bit of a sidescrolling platformer and a match-3 as you battle monsters to harvest their ingredients and then cook some insane poo poo with it.

Oh wow, Puzzle Quest. I played that back in the day, on the "free" servers. A neat concept, and some good puzzles in there, even if each one was a bit barebones.

Thanks for the other suggestions as well, y'all! I'll check 'em out. Shame about what you're saying happened to Gems of War, though. I'm guessing that the original version of the game isn't available anywhere?